Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Your Grocery Bill Is Going to Go Up $1,000 a Month
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Corn and Soybean Farmer to Americans: Your Grocery Bill Is Going to Go Up $1,000 a Month

A farmer joined Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show Wednesday to warn that Joe Biden’s failed economic policies and the war in Ukraine are going to cause the costs of food to skyrocket in the coming months.

https://www.westernjournal.com/corn-soyb...Eotm9jYSBQ
It's a good think I eat nothing that has either of those foods in it. The vegans are going to starve though.
It's actually worse than the article suggests. We rely on Russia for fertilizer, they rely on us for seeds. For different reasons, everyone's looking at lower yields next year. Hungary is already trying to ban grain exports. Other countries will follow. In the US we will have it relatively easy. As always, places that are not self sufficient in food, like North Africa and the Caribbean, will get hit far worse than us.
Time to reset priorities. Stop worrying about what movie or book to cancel or what statue to pull down to re-write history and start focussing on where we invest and buy stuff from and stop funding dictatorships in China and Russia.

If it means stuff becomes more expensive, so be it.
Who spends that much on groceries anyway. I go twice a month and my total bill is like $300. Buy generic brands. They're almost always just as good. I'll never starve. I have a pond full of fish and woods full of tasty varmints.
(03-05-2022, 04:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Who spends that much on groceries anyway. I go twice a month and my total bill is like $300. Buy generic brands. They're almost always just as good. I'll never starve. I have a pond full of fish and woods full of tasty varmints.
Are the varmints scum and slime and a menace to the golfing industry?
(03-05-2022, 04:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Who spends that much on groceries anyway. I go twice a month and my total bill is like $300. Buy generic brands. They're almost always just as good. I'll never starve. I have a pond full of fish and woods full of tasty varmints.

There’s these things called families…never mind.
It's always going up. Like Oline pointed out though. If you're not overly picky about "organic" this or "cage free, no hormones" that? You can find plenty of options meal wise to get by on a relatively light budget. I do most of the cooking at my house anyway so my wife doesn't complain. I like buying the same [BLEEP] over and over and just making things in bulk to eat throughout the week.

Chicken and Dumplings
Beef Stew
Breakfast Bowl
Chili
Smoked Chicken or Ribs
Canned or Frozen Vegetables
Hotdogs and homestyle Fries
Spinach alfredo sauce and Pasta

All of that is relatively inexpensive if you shop right and if you have a crockpot or two laying around the house you can put most of this [BLEEP] in a pot, let it sit all day and be done with it. Just buy spices and seasoning so the [BLEEP] doesn't taste bland. Also, you can save money by making your own [BLEEP] from scratch. I make dumplings with cake flour, a pinch of salt, a little bit of milk and some baking powder. I can probably get 6 - 8 rounds of dumplings out of that Vs. buying a can of biscuits every time. They taste better too.

You can make an alfredo sauce with flour and butter at home, add your own cheese. It's better and cheaper to buy blocks of cheese as well instead of the pre shredded [BLEEP]. If you can't cook? Get on youtube. There's TONS of people on there daily posting videos, how to's and recipes that are stupid easy to follow step by step. After you do it a few times you'll feel like Gordon Ramsay in your house.
I stopped reading at Tucker Carlson.

Oh how nice for you. I live in a city and have 4 kids.
(03-05-2022, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh how nice for you. I live in a city and have 4 kids.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Me and my two younger brothers were grocery killers growing up. My Mom told us the other day they would spend close to $600 per month on groceries. This was during the 90's and early 00's. So, $1,000.00+ for you sounds about right by today's prices. We were fortunate in a sense that my Dad did maintenance for a living and we ended up getting a three bedroom apartment completely rent free because he worked on property and that was the policy there for about five to six years.
Lol .... I think people will adjust accordingly. I probably save $$ when prices go up since I tend to overcompensate. Been hitting the Brix $10 Ribeye including 2 sides on Fridays. They just added $10 Mahi as an alternative during lent. Best deal in town.
(03-05-2022, 10:54 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Lol .... I think people will adjust accordingly.  I probably save $$ when prices go up since I tend to overcompensate.  Been hitting the Brix $10 Ribeye including 2 sides on Fridays.  They just added $10 Mahi as an alternative during lent.  Best deal in town.

V Pizza still does their $10 pie and a drink lunch, it's pretty good for the price.
We eat meat and veggies and small amounts of fruit. Hubby can't do carbs due to inherited diabetes genetics and I can't do carbs thanks to silent reflux. So cheap meals with beans, rice and pasta are out. I'll cook up a big sweet potato and eat on it through the week with a meal but I can't eat it two days in a row.

Low carb isn't hard but with the price of meat going up it's not inexpensive. I make our keto cookies from scratch.
This might come off as bat [BLEEP] crazy but roughly two yeas ago when my son was born I decided to go on a diet. All I started doing was fasting 16 hours per day and counting calories. Then I started pushing myself to 20 - 23 hours in between my first and last meal. Then I finally started incorporating a 36 hour fast per week. So far I have dropped 54 pounds in total. This is with me being inconsistent at times due to family gatherings, vacations, being a new dad, not really working out consistently with cardio and weight lifting, etc.

Sometimes it's easy to say "[BLEEP] it. I am ordering pizza or take out tonight". However, that's gone up INSANELY. Ordering out now just seems like highway robbery for the food industry. Granted, everything sucks economically. But, DAMN. It's like damn near $30 anytime we went through a drive thru place or if we sat down you're looking at $50 or more. Also, with staff shortages. The quality of the food and service has gone down. So, prices are up, quality is down.

Have not seen anything like this before. Granted. I am only 33 years old. I circle back to what I mentioned earlier. It's just cheaper and easier to buy the ingredients yourself to combine to make an actual product you're craving. Pizza is very, very, very easy to make at home. The $30+ I see families spend weekly on pizza night, in some cases, twice a night? It's a head scratcher to me. For that same $60 I can buy flour, eggs, yeast, blocks of cheese, blocks of dry meat and stretch that into 10 or more pizza's.

Takes a little bit of time, patience and practice. However, it's a win-win. You're off your [BLEEP], you're in a kitchen burning calories to make a meal for yourself and your family. It balances out very nicely. The only product I won't skimp on is alcohol. I still get my good stuff that I like from Total Wine. I love Ale's and I love Mead's. It's just tough though right now. Seeing people struggle. Having diet restrictions due to genetics is a bummer as well.

Because, that is true. It's a whole hell of a lot cheaper to buy beans, rice and potatoes in bulk Vs. buying good quality meats and vegetables. This whole covid thing though had me developing a green thumb in my backyard. Starting off with just mild to hot peppers. Then maybe I'll try my hand at something a little bit more advanced. But, I started thinking about my long term health. The uncertainty of the world's future with these pandemics and politicians getting more and more concerning.

In a way. I would rather train my body and mind now to go extensive hours of time without eating anything in the event it means that my Son is able to have 3 - 10 more meals in his belly.
It's always been 1000 a month lol. Publix is expensive
(03-05-2022, 06:07 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's always going up. Like Oline pointed out though. If you're not overly picky about "organic" this or "cage free, no hormones" that? You can find plenty of options meal wise to get by on a relatively light budget. I do most of the cooking at my house anyway so my wife doesn't complain. I like buying the same [BLEEP] over and over and just making things in bulk to eat throughout the week.

Chicken and Dumplings
Beef Stew
Breakfast Bowl
Chili
Smoked Chicken or Ribs
Canned or Frozen Vegetables
Hotdogs and homestyle Fries
Spinach alfredo sauce and Pasta

All of that is relatively inexpensive if you shop right and if you have a crockpot or two laying around the house you can put most of this [BLEEP] in a pot, let it sit all day and be done with it. Just buy spices and seasoning so the [BLEEP] doesn't taste bland. Also, you can save money by making your own [BLEEP] from scratch. I make dumplings with cake flour, a pinch of salt, a little bit of milk and some baking powder. I can probably get 6 - 8 rounds of dumplings out of that Vs. buying a can of biscuits every time. They taste better too.

You can make an alfredo sauce with flour and butter at home, add your own cheese. It's better and cheaper to buy blocks of cheese as well instead of the pre shredded [BLEEP]. If you can't cook? Get on youtube. There's TONS of people on there daily posting videos, how to's and recipes that are stupid easy to follow step by step. After you do it a few times you'll feel like Gordon Ramsay in your house.

Exactly. For instance I save money by looking what kind of meat is on sale that week. I buy ground beef instead of ground chuck or ground round. I buy chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, not only because they are much cheaper, but because at the grocery stores near me, I the chicken aisles have nearly been wiped out of all the premium (white meat) cuts of chicken. I will buy a family size pack of chicken thighs and then I take it home and break it down into packs of 2 each. I have a cheap vacuum sealer and I put them in the deep freeze. When I do this, I get meals for pennies on the dollar. Always buy meat in bulk and break it down when you get home and portion it out. The savings is ridiculous. I buy whole pork loins and break them down into butterfly chops as well. I can get 5-8 meals off of one $12 pork loin, depending on how thick you cut them. I was raised in the country as well, so I'm not opposed to eating some things other people might not even look at. I love chicken gizzards and hearts. You can buy those dirt cheap. 

There is also a grocery store near me that is in an out of the way, small town that only the residents know about. They have the best tasting meat and they have a daily sale case that they keep stocked all the time (everything there is still in date.) All the meat in the case is 5 packs for $20. They can have anything from ground beef to strip steaks to Turkey legs, to pork roast to sausage to chicken breast and many more. I'll go there like 3 times a year and spend like $200 and I get a ton of meat. I then bring it home and package it up for the deep freeze. I have quality meat year round for cheap. My whole family goes there to get meat. The beef is very good. In fact, I quit buying beef from the large chain grocery closer to my house, because the meat started having no flavor and had the consistency of shoe leather. The stuff I buy now always comes out tender and juicy.

I eat baked chicken thighs a couple of times a week and it averages less than $2 per meal. Most of the meat I purchase does after portioning it out. It takes a little extra effort, but you can easily save a ton of money by looking for deals and packaging portions yourself. My deep freeze and vacuum sealer were two of the best investments I have ever made.

I rarely go out to eat.
Lol, my poor wife lives at Walmart. Milk, eggs, chicken, juice, bread, ect. My teenage Son is 13 and already 6 foot tall, his cousin who is 14 and 6’1 who practically lives here , and 5 Grandkids that love to eat and my big goofy butt has her going to Walmart 5 times a week. I tell her she needs her own private checkout spot, lol. But our grocery bill is A LOT. And you can hardly ever find chicken breast! So far we have been fortunate and blessed, but if it gets worse I can see it being a real issue.
(03-05-2022, 01:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]We eat meat and veggies and small amounts of fruit. Hubby can't do carbs due to inherited diabetes genetics and I can't do carbs thanks to silent reflux. So cheap meals with beans, rice and pasta are out. I'll cook up a big sweet potato and eat on it through the week with a meal but I can't eat it two days in a row.

Low carb isn't hard but with the price of meat going up it's not inexpensive. I make our keto cookies from scratch.

I hear ya. I am also diabetic. (Thanks Mom, LOVE YOU) Everything I'm supposed to eat is already expensive. I dont do the organic, grass free cage/free/free range proteins other than what I get from hunting and fishing. There is nothing more organic and natural than eating animals that have to feed off what nature provided but there is only so much of it per year.  Fresh veggies are the best but more expensive, frozen veggies are the next best. Everything that is good and healthy is so much more expensive and fruits, especially during the non producing seasons of the year are high as hell. It already pisses me off trying to eat right but what do ya do? We always find a way. Not always the best choice of food, but far from the worst! We go to lots of farmers markets here during the summer and can the fruits and veggies we buy from the Amish which works out well.
(03-05-2022, 07:54 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2022, 01:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]We eat meat and veggies and small amounts of fruit. Hubby can't do carbs due to inherited diabetes genetics and I can't do carbs thanks to silent reflux. So cheap meals with beans, rice and pasta are out. I'll cook up a big sweet potato and eat on it through the week with a meal but I can't eat it two days in a row.

I hear ya. I am also diabetic. (Thanks Mom, LOVE YOU) Everything I'm supposed to eat is already expensive. I dont do the organic, grass free cage/free/free range proteins other than what I get from hunting and fishing. There is nothing more organic and natural than eating animals that have to feed off what nature provided but there is only so much of it per year.  Fresh veggies are the best but more expensive, frozen veggies are the next best. Everything that is good and healthy is so much more expensive and fruits, especially during the non producing seasons of the year are high as hell. It already pisses me off trying to eat right but what do ya do? We always find a way. Not always the best choice of food, but far from the worst! We go to lots of farmers markets here during the summer and can the fruits and veggies we buy from the Amish which works out well.

Amen. I have fish that I have caught along with rabbit, squirrel and venison in my freezer to attest to this. I buy a lot of canned vegetables, because they are the cheapest. I prefer fresh and frozen, but they are just too expensive sometimes. I haven't eaten fruit since I was a baby. The closest thing I've had to fruit in the last 45 years is tomatoes. It's a texture thing. Something about the texture of fruit makes me start gagging.
Pages: 1 2 3 4