Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: First round draft grade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What do you say?  

Even though I like Walker I didn't want him at 1.  I would of said a C for that pick and then the trade up for the best LB in the draft without giving up our 3rds is the best draft trade in recent memory imo.  I give a B grade so far.
I would agree B. Maybe B-, considering the draft capital we came into it. My gut just does not feel like Walker will be worth the number 1 pick, but I sure hope I’m wrong. I do not think he will be a total bust like tavon Bryon though.
I say A-. Ofcourse this grade can go up or down after watching the first 8 games of the season. However, I'm optimistic about how these 2 players could potentially mix in with the rest of the free agents and current players on defense. Super excited. Now, we need some good picks on day 2.
I would have felt better if Hutch was #1.  But I'm satisfied with Walker.  I think his pass rush will take a bit to develop.  But we will see flashes there this year.  And his impact in the run game and in freeing up Allen on the other side for pass rush will be immediately felt.  B

I almost lost my mind when they traded up and picked Lloyd!  He's going to be a beast.  With him and Foye in the middle of our defense, we now have an impact LB corps.  A+

Overall round 1:  B+
Fun fact: Devin Lloyd had 6 more sacks than Travon Walker.
I give it a B- and would be way lower if not for the Lloyd pick.

D+ on Walker. He's certainly athletic, but imo he's not that good. He really isn't that great when you watch tape against good NFL caliber tackles, not a good edge rusher so why take him 1st overall? This is another example of scouts woo'd by upside over actual talent and falling for pre draft hype.Wasted pick imo.

A on Lloyd. Dude will be a stud here, this saves our 1st round honestly... He will likely step in day 1 and be a beast. Not much more to say LB is not a terribly tough position to transition to the NFL, should be a long term starter.

I still wanna know where Trevor is getting help. Overpaying a glorified slot receiver, a deep threat WR with no hands, and tagging your mid LT doesn't instill much faith the offense will be much better. I want to see a flurry of offensive draft picks today.
Pardons if someone already posted this but Dan Hicken says since the advent of the modern draft in 1967, this is the first overall pick to be taken who didn't earn All American and/or All Conference honors.
(04-29-2022, 07:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Pardons if someone already posted this but Dan Hicken says since the advent of the modern draft in 1967, this is the first overall pick to be taken who didn't earn All American and/or All Conference honors.

Yeah the 1st pick was so bad, at least initially. FWIW I hope in 10 months I look like an idiot and dude has 20 tipped passes and 9 sacks, but the reality is this dude isn't really 1st overall worthy. Not even close, yet somehow the Jags picked him...  lol. He's not even the best player on that defense let alone in the draft. I hate the pick tbh.
(04-29-2022, 07:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Pardons if someone already posted this but Dan Hicken says since the advent of the modern draft in 1967, this is the first overall pick to be taken who didn't earn All American and/or All Conference honors.

Looks like the Jaguars have gone full Jaguars so far in the draft.

Trading back into the first for a linebacker who probably would have still been there at 33 is so Jaguars...

I'm not a college football expert, but Walker, to me, looks like a slightly less terrible Taven. Really him crashing into a parked car a few weeks ago should have been enough to move them off of him. I don't think Hutchinson will be great, either, but I don't get paid millions to figure out who to pick. I expect the Jaguars to just not Jag it up, and of course they did.
Devin Lloyd was an absolute steal, big credit to Balke and crew for that one. I love Walkers upside but am not 100% certain on how it will translate. I was not in love with Hutchinson, and I had a good feeling Sauce wasn't gonna be the pick so i'm not overly dissapointed in passing on him.

(04-29-2022, 07:20 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Trading back into the first for a linebacker who probably would have still been there at 33 is so Jaguars...

I'm not a college football expert, but Walker, to me, looks like a slightly less terrible Taven. Really him crashing into a parked car a few weeks ago should have been enough to move them off of him. I don't think Hutchinson will be great, either, but I don't get paid millions to figure out who to pick. I expect the Jaguars to just not Jag it up, and of course they did.

Devin Lloyd was a top 10-15 prospect according to experts, and unlike Walker/hutch completely jumps out at you when watching his tape. He was 100% a steal at 27. You're sleepin.
(04-29-2022, 07:20 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

I wouldn't go this far, he will likely step in and play well. He is really good with leverage and burst, will likely be fine in the trenches vs the run day 1 being he is quite lengthy and strong. My problem is do you take a guy 1st overall who isn't expected to get you a 10-15 sack season year in and out?  The answer should be no every time, he doesn't even get off the ball well or effectively rush the passer. I will forever scratch my head at this pick, even if he turns out to be a stud. In the moment it just feels like a waste.
Will everyone who said they are going to quit the team, because of the Walker pick, go ahead and quit? Just go away. Don't drag it out.
(04-29-2022, 07:20 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Devin Lloyd was an absolute steal, big credit to Balke and crew for that one. I love Walkers upside but am not 100% certain on how it will translate. I was not in love with Hutchinson, and I had a good feeling Sauce wasn't gonna be the pick so i'm not overly dissapointed in passing on him.

(04-29-2022, 07:20 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the Jaguars have gone full Jaguars so far in the draft.

Devin Lloyd was a top 10-15 prospect according to experts, and unlike Walker/hutch completely jumps out at you when watching his tape. He was 100% a steal at 27. You're sleepin.

I know he was rated decently, but I didn't like trading up for him. If he makes a career of punishing Derrick Henry then I'll love him. If it were a potentially difference making wide receiver I'd be fine with trading up. If he turns out to be a pro bowl type player then it was a fine pick.
Hicken says the Patriots were going to take Lloyd, which is why we traded to get him.
(04-29-2022, 07:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Will everyone who said they are going to quit the team, because of the Walker pick, go ahead and quit?  Just go away.  Don't drag it out.

If anyone didnt quit after the last 3 seasons, you would have to be crazy to quit now when things are starting to look exciting. I dont know what will happen with walker, but this team might be good even if he isn't. My gut feeling tells me this new coaching staff is going to coach him up good.
(04-29-2022, 07:08 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]I give it a B- and would be way lower if not for the Lloyd pick.

D+ on Walker. He's certainly athletic, but imo he's not that good. He really isn't that great when you watch tape against good NFL caliber tackles, not a good edge rusher so why take him 1st overall? This is another example of scouts woo'd by upside over actual talent and falling for pre draft hype.Wasted pick imo.

A on Lloyd. Dude will be a stud here, this saves our 1st round honestly... He will likely step in day 1 and be a beast. Not much more to say LB is not a terribly tough position to transition to the NFL, should be a long term starter.

I still wanna know where Trevor is getting help. Overpaying a glorified slot receiver, a deep threat WR with no hands, and tagging your mid LT doesn't instill much faith the offense will be much better. I want to see a flurry of offensive draft picks today.

How in the Sam Hell can anyone compare an Collegiate prospect to an NFL player face 2 face? This will be determined when the two NFL players match up on the grid iron. IJS and,

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(04-29-2022, 07:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Will everyone who said they are going to quit the team, because of the Walker pick, go ahead and quit?  Just go away.  Don't drag it out.

AMEN.

DELETE, Delete, delete.

NH3...
(04-29-2022, 07:32 AM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]

If anyone didnt quit after the last 3 seasons, you would have to be crazy to quit now when things are starting to look exciting. I dont know what will happen with walker, but this team might be good even if he isn't. My gut feeling tells me this new coaching staff is going to coach him up good.

No, seriously, I want the people who said they were going to quit if we took Walker to go ahead and quit.  No more BS.  If you say you're going to quit, quit.
The same concerns that I have with Walker is the same concerns the local guys and most mainstream guys have. Again, I love the Bulldogs. That's my college team. I watched virtually every major game last year with them. Walker rarely stood out. Which is alarming considering how much opportunities he had around him with guys like Davis and Wyatt commanding the majority of the attention blocking wise.

My other concern is strictly on the history of this franchise. Again, cited this in the actual draft day thread last night. They already said his versatility is what caught their attention. Okay. I get that. However, it's very easy to see a player like that get ultimately washed out because you can't settle him into your defense and just let him "cook" as the kids like to say these days.

If you start doing this goofy [BLEEP] where he's a LB on one down, then, he's lined up over the center at an inline position, or, he's moving from LE to RE? He's probably going to struggle. He struggled in college at doing those very same things. You have to let this [BLEEP] kid play off the edge, with his hands in the dirt. Just let him play with his natural ability over there and let him set the edge.

Don't get cute and ruin him like this Franchise has done year after year with "freakish athletes". Again, you wanted a 3 - 4 defensive end? You got him. So let him play like one.

On another note? I love the Devin Lloyd pick. Love it. Couldn't have had a better trade happen at the right time. He's a perfect linebacker for today's game. He plays like Darius Leonard. He's a leader. He's a disruptive player that can run and cover, run and hit and attack the backfield in all aspects of the game.

Again, this is why if you were going to take a defensive lineman with the first pick? I would have said [BLEEP] it and took Jordan Davis who I know will ultimately command double teams and free up the back end of my defense. I am really concerned this coaching staff might screw the pooch with Walker. I hope like hell he's just going to be playing DE this summer.

I don't want him standing up off the edge at all.

B+ overall.
"You have to let this [BLEEP] kid play off the edge, with his hands in the dirt. Just let him play with his natural ability over there and let him set the edge".

Isn't this what Baalke said in the press conference when he was selected?

NH3...
Pages: 1 2 3