Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Americans oppose transgender surgeries, anti-puberty blockers for minors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I believe this is the right thing to do..... Hell, I wasn't even sure of who I was at the age of 18.

Americans oppose transgender surgeries, anti-puberty blockers for minors: poll

Medical professionals have told Fox News they have seen rates of gender dysphoria skyrocket among young people in recent years

The majority of Americans do not support transgender surgeries or anti-puberty blockers for minors, according to a poll from a conservative nonprofit organization.

The survey asked respondents whether they would support a ban on puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and physical sex-change surgeries for children under 18. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/america...5WBJGn5E_c
No minor should ever receive a transgender surgery.

But forcing a kid to go through puberty when they don't want to, and their parents don't want them to, strikes me as cruel.
This is all too much. Let nature be nature.
(05-12-2022, 09:06 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]This is all too much. Let nature be nature.

Females have been prescribed puberty blockers for decades.  It's rare, but female puberty can start as young as age 3, and no family wants that.  Odd time to stop using these drugs now.
You just can't keep yourself from drinking the cool aid, can you?
(05-12-2022, 09:20 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]You just can't keep yourself from drinking the cool aid, can you?

The people who drank the Kool aid are the ones who think it's OK to surgically modify the body of a biologically healthy minor child.
Ain't me.
But you think it's ok for kids to avoid puberty?
(05-12-2022, 10:16 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]But you think it's ok for kids to avoid puberty?

If they're having gender dysphoria, yes, they should be able to delay puberty until they are 18.
Maybe somewhere along the way the gender dysphoria will stop and they'll stop taking the blockers, go through puberty, and have a normal life.
Can you honestly tell me that you would have held this same position 10 years ago? In 2010, if it came to national prominence that some parents were delaying their children's puberty to give them time to figure out their gender, you wouldn't have been mortified by that? You know what, don't answer. You'll probably try to claim you would have been ok with that.
(05-13-2022, 08:22 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Can you honestly tell me that you would have held this same position 10 years ago? In 2010, if it came to national prominence that some parents were delaying their children's puberty to give them time to figure out their gender, you wouldn't have been mortified by that? You know what, don't answer. You'll probably try to claim you would have been ok with that.

Virtually nobody was thinking about transgender issues until 2015.
And when it started coming out, a lot of smart people said that Hillary was about to coast to victory in 2016, but this was going to derail her.
And it did.
Republicans should be grateful.
Republicans should be concerned about kids permanently modifying their bodies with surgeries and transgender hormones.
But Republicans should also mind their own business when a family wants their kid to take a medicine that has no permanent effects.
Meet any transgender adult.  Ask them if they regret going through puberty as their birth gender.
(05-13-2022, 09:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2022, 08:22 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Can you honestly tell me that you would have held this same position 10 years ago? In 2010, if it came to national prominence that some parents were delaying their children's puberty to give them time to figure out their gender, you wouldn't have been mortified by that? You know what, don't answer. You'll probably try to claim you would have been ok with that.

Virtually nobody was thinking about transgender issues until 2015.
And when it started coming out, a lot of smart people said that Hillary was about to coast to victory in 2016, but this was going to derail her.
And it did.
Republicans should be concerned about kids permanently modifying their bodies with surgeries and transgender hormones.
But Republicans should also mind their own business when a family wants their kid to take a medicine that has no permanent effects.
Meet any transgender adult.  Ask them if they regret going through puberty as their birth gender.

Because it was properly defined as a mental illness.
(05-13-2022, 09:07 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2022, 09:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Virtually nobody was thinking about transgender issues until 2015.
And it did.

Because it was properly defined as a mental illness.

And we prescribe drugs to kids with mental illness all the time, as long as the drugs have no permanent effects.
And this is what I mean by drinking the kool-aid.
(05-13-2022, 09:24 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]And this is what I mean by drinking the kool-aid.

Do you oppose Ritalin too? Sorry kid, you can't have that prozac til you turn 18?
(05-13-2022, 07:34 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-12-2022, 10:16 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]But you think it's ok for kids to avoid puberty?

If they're having gender dysphoria, yes, they should be able to delay puberty until they are 18.
Maybe somewhere along the way the gender dysphoria will stop and they'll stop taking the blockers, go through puberty, and have a normal life.

Normal life? LOL
This seems to be uncharted territory which could have serious social and medical ramifications. No one knows now what the long term medical effects of delaying puberty are going to be. Our bodies are designed to develop in a certain way. Assume that a kid takes these meds till they are 18 and then decides it s no-go. Are we certain that puberty is just going to suddenly kick in automatically at age whatever? And even if it does, do you think its going to be any better for the mental heath of a person if they decide to not go thru with this at age 18-20 and then they spend most of the 20's going thru puberty? My parents put me in school a year early because of some ridiculous test at age 5, and as a result I was a year younger than my classmates thru 10th grade, until I changed schools and voluntarily repeated 10th. Once you hit Jr High there is a huge difference in development of boys and girls, and its pronounced, even for 1 years difference. You're now going to be most likely the smallest in your class, unless you are big for your age, and at best you'll be average. You will always feel insecure. And I wasn't even trying to change sexes, but just trying to live within what I was. I wanted to play sports, but was always just on the fringe of being able to because of development. Once I got with my age group, I was fine. Went out for every sport and started for all of them. You really think a kid with delayed puberty in HS is going to fare well socially? At worst, they will be bullied, at best ostracized. You might be creating the next school shooter. And then what happens in your 20's? You're going to go thru puberty in college? LOL, that will certainly work well. And if you don't go to college, then what of getting a job? You're going to look and sound immature in job interviews. The real world is not going to treat you kindly. Depending on the job, it isn't going to provide you many, if any, advantages. Kids are confused enough, even in their biologically given bodies. Why impose this option upon them? This will create more chaos and many many more problems than it solves. Sometimes, you don't have to kowtow to the miniscule minority.
Putting children on puberty blockers sounds like a pedophile wet dream. Don’t have to worry about all those icky things that comes with maturing that put a damper on the pervs sexual attraction.
(05-13-2022, 09:39 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2022, 09:24 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]And this is what I mean by drinking the kool-aid.

Do you oppose Ritalin too?  Sorry kid, you can't have that prozac til you turn 18?

Putting a kid on puberty blockers is not the same as putting them on Ritalin, though, truth be told, those types of drugs are overused. We should be tapering those drugs as well. However, to the subject at hand, you don't put kids on puberty blockers for anything that isn't life threatening. There are mental, social, and physical ramifications. Only non-thinkers like yourself buy into the "emotional" well-being excuse without considering all of the other potential fallout. This is liberal and progressive policies in a nutshell: change for the sake of change.

You don't stop a child's puberty at 12 to allow them to decide what gender they want to be at 18. That's [BLEEP] dumb. You drink the Kool-aid, bro.
You know... I'm open to having a discussion about the spectrum of masculine vs feminine. Every person with a penis doesn't have to a macho man. They can like flowers or whatever. HOWEVER, THEY AREN'T WOMEN. They don't need to have surgery to reassign their gender. They don't need to say they are women. I don't need to engage in that fantasy. If they can't cope with the fact they have the wrong biological equipment, they need therapy. It's simple. Only simpletons go without questioning this narrative.
(05-13-2022, 10:04 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2022, 07:34 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]If they're having gender dysphoria, yes, they should be able to delay puberty until they are 18.

Normal life? LOL
This seems to be uncharted territory which could have serious social and medical ramifications.  No one knows now what the long term medical effects of delaying puberty are going to be.  Our bodies are designed to develop in a certain way.  Assume that a kid takes these meds till they are 18 and then decides it s no-go. Are we certain that puberty is just going to suddenly kick in automatically at age whatever?  And even if it does, do you think its going to be any better for the mental heath of a person if they decide to not go thru with this at age 18-20 and then they spend most of the 20's going thru puberty?  My parents put me in school a year early because of some ridiculous test at age 5, and as a result I was a year younger than my classmates thru 10th grade, until I changed schools and voluntarily repeated 10th.  Once you hit Jr High there is a huge difference in development of boys and girls, and its pronounced, even for 1 years difference.  You're now going to be most likely the smallest in your class, unless you are big for your age, and at best you'll be average. You will always feel insecure.  And I wasn't even trying to change sexes, but just trying to live within what I was. I wanted to play sports, but was always just on the fringe of being able to because of development.  Once I got with my age group, I was fine. Went out for every sport and started for all of them.  You really think a kid with delayed puberty in HS is going to fare well socially?  At worst, they will be bullied, at best ostracized. You might be creating the next school shooter.  And then what happens in your 20's?  You're going to go thru puberty in college? LOL, that will certainly work well.  And if you don't go to college, then what of getting a job?  You're going to look and sound immature in job interviews.  The real world is not going to treat you kindly.  Depending on the job, it isn't going to provide you many, if any, advantages.  Kids are confused enough, even in their biologically given bodies.  Why impose this option upon them?  This will create more chaos and many many more problems than it solves.  Sometimes, you don't have to kowtow to the miniscule minority.

I appreciate your story and your experience.  Your parents made a choice when you were 5, but being a year ahead in school became something you didn't want by the time you were 11 or 12.  Then you were able to reverse that choice by repeating a grade.  All of that is understandable and good.
But in this case, we are talking about a kid who is relatively comfortable in their prepubescent body and simply wants to keep it.  They would make the decision to take this medication at 10 or 11, not 5.  That's pretty different from your experience.  And sure, there is a chance of bullying.  We're talking about a kid with a penis who uses a girl's name and wears dresses.  Bullying was going to be a concern regardless.
(05-13-2022, 11:45 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-13-2022, 09:39 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Do you oppose Ritalin too?  Sorry kid, you can't have that prozac til you turn 18?

Putting a kid on puberty blockers is not the same as putting them on Ritalin, though, truth be told, those types of drugs are overused. We should be tapering those drugs as well. However, to the subject at hand, you don't put kids on puberty blockers for anything that isn't life threatening. There are mental, social, and physical ramifications. Only non-thinkers like yourself buy into the "emotional" well-being excuse without considering all of the other potential fallout. This is liberal and progressive policies in a nutshell: change for the sake of change.

You don't stop a child's puberty at 12 to allow them to decide what gender they want to be at 18. That's [BLEEP] dumb. You drink the Kool-aid, bro.

Categorize it as emotional or physical or social or whatever, but the biggest concern is that these kids are killing themselves at high rates.  Suicide is even more permanent than surgery.  I think we owe it to ourselves to see if puberty blockers can lessen that rate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8