Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: *** Official Game Day Thread - Week 6 - Jags @ clots ***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's game day in the NFL and we welcome one and all to the weekly Official (*) Game Day Thread for the Jaguars visit to Indianapolis. The Jags come into today's game reeling from last week's lackluster performance against the last place tinhorns. Jacksonville moved up and down the field to the tune of 400 yards of offense but managed just 6 points in losing by 7 to Houston at home. This week the team plays it's second game in four weeks against a really banged up clots team that they brutalized with a 24 to nothing shutout in Jacksonville back on September 18th. It's kind of odd to see both Indy games this early in the season as we're used to seeing this matchup in the closing weeks of the year. The Jags have some injuries as Foley Fatukasi and Marvin Jones, Jr. are both ruled out of today's contest while Left Guard Ben Bartch and Invisible Man K'Lavon Chaisson both landed on IR this week. On the other side the clots will be without stars Shaq Leonard and Jonathan Taylor. The Jaguars season still holds promise but the team and QB Trevor Lawrence in particular must overcome their Red Zone shortcomings to put the ball in the end zone. 

Game time is at 1pm and will broadcast locally on CBS47. Though the fake noise will be loud, the weather conditions will be ideal inside the walls of Lucas Oil Stadium.

Thoughts, commentary, observations, trolling, and oh so much snark expected to follow throughout the day.
Hope the Jags can get it straightened out and get off the losing skid. Indy may be just what the doctor ordered but we'll see. Hopefully TLaw can clean up the mistakes and the defense can do the rest.
(10-16-2022, 08:27 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]Hope the Jags can get it straightened out and get off the losing skid. Indy may be just what the doctor ordered but we'll see. Hopefully TLaw can clean up the mistakes and the defense can do the rest.

Just Travon not imploding like he did in the fourth quarter last week is probably enough to win, even with Trevor not having his best game.
Jaguars - 38
Clots - 13
(10-16-2022, 08:55 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Jaguars - 38
Clots - 13
I’ll Venmo you money for a beer if this hits.
I can't remember the last time I was so unexcited about a game. We just hung a big fat L from one of the worst teams in the league and now we're only hoping for a win against a team we've already shut out. Even if we do manage to beat them again, it will be a giant 'meh'.

The exhausting Jaguars yo-yo ride continues.
(10-16-2022, 09:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I can't remember the last time I was so unexcited about a game. We just hung a big fat L from one of the worst teams in the league and now we're only hoping for a win against a team we've already shut out.  Even if we do manage to beat them again, it will be a giant 'meh'.

C'mon man, how many times in the last 10 years have you been following a Jags team that actually ought to beat the team they're playing? A team that was .500 into October? Usually the Oh'fer record coming out of September just deflates the whole season. The Jags need to play better, but we're clearly seeing progress if you are going to be Meh about a win. We've had 4 of those in the past two seasons, every one is a good one at this point.
A win here would be huge
(10-16-2022, 09:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I can't remember the last time I was so unexcited about a game. We just hung a big fat L from one of the worst teams in the league and now we're only hoping for a win against a team we've already shut out.  Even if we do manage to beat them again, it will be a giant 'meh'.

That about sums it up.  The Colts are down to the #3 running back and missing two D linemen.  Their already weak O line is beat up too.  Even a 50-0 win won't feel like much of an accomplishment.  A loss could necessitate a choice between the Modis Building and the Dames Point Bridge.

We haven't beat the Colts in Indy in years.  A win even by 1 point would make me happy, a win is a win at the end of the day and we will be .500 6 games in

(10-16-2022, 09:51 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]

That about sums it up.  The Colts are down to the #3 running back and missing two D linemen.  Their already weak O line is beat up too.  Even a 50-0 win won't feel like much of an accomplishment.  A loss could necessitate a choice between the Modis Building and the Dames Point Bridge.

We lost our starting LG, our best Dlineman, and our vet WR that put up over 100 yards last week.  We have a number of key players down as well.
(10-16-2022, 09:43 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

C'mon man, how many times in the last 10 years have you been following a Jags team that actually ought to beat the team they're playing? A team that was .500 into October? Usually the Oh'fer record coming out of September just deflates the whole season. The Jags need to play better, but we're clearly seeing progress if you are going to be Meh about a win. We've had 4 of those in the past two seasons, every one is a good one at this point.

(10-16-2022, 09:50 AM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]A win here would be huge

It depends on the quality of the win. If we shut them out again or win decisively after a game of dominance, then yeah, I'll be heartened. If we win by a last second FG, then the improvements argument is debatable. W's are the real improvement, but if it's one gained by a hair against a bad team in decline, then it's not really improvement.
I don't care about the quality of the win. A win is a win. Quality of win comes once we can reasonably expect to beat a few teams.
This is how it is going to be today... the stands will start clearing out when the 3rd Qtr ends. Smile
(10-16-2022, 10:12 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]I don't care about the quality of the win. A win is a win. Quality of win comes once we can reasonably expect to beat a few teams.

Agreed 100%, this is the NFL, all teams are talented and can win on any given Sunday.  This isn't college.   People said last week we should destroy the Texans and they had a 8 game win streak against us lol, just a win last week to the Texans would of been a nice improvement.  Hell, we haven't beat the Colts in Indy in years and they are the favorites in this game and some act like we should destroy them lol, it's odd.  With that said, if we win it will be a nice improvement and the first time we will be .500 6 games in since the 17 season when we were 5 min from the SB.  Just win regardless.

Not sure how you expected this season to go but if you had told me we had 2 wins and a chance to sweep the clots in week 6 I would have taken that all day before the season started lol
Enjoy the ride of the rebuild man. We're probably a .500 team realistically (which could still win this not very good division)

(10-16-2022, 09:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

We haven't beat the Colts in Indy in years.  A win even by 1 point would make me happy, a win is a win at the end of the day and we will be .500 6 games in

(10-16-2022, 09:51 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]That about sums it up.  The Colts are down to the #3 running back and missing two D linemen.  Their already weak O line is beat up too.  Even a 50-0 win won't feel like much of an accomplishment.  A loss could necessitate a choice between the Modis Building and the Dames Point Bridge.

We lost our starting LG, our best Dlineman, and our vet WR that put up over 100 yards last week.  We have a number of key players down as well.

Not sure Bartch is a huge missing piece. Shat should fill in fine. Missing MJJ is a hit to the wr corp but we should have Zay Jones so don't think that's a terrible deal either. Foley being out is tough for our run D.... 

Anyone talking about how a win shouldn't be celebrated should probably just go watch paint dry.
When we need 1 yard run behind our All Pro guard in Scherff today instead of the rookie center and LG
(10-16-2022, 10:43 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

Not sure how you expected this season to go but if you had told me we had 2 wins and a chance to sweep the clots in week 6 I would have taken that all day before the season started lol
Enjoy the ride of the rebuild man. We're probably a .500 team realistically (which could still win this not very good division)

(10-16-2022, 09:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]We haven't beat the Colts in Indy in years.  A win even by 1 point would make me happy, a win is a win at the end of the day and we will be .500 6 games in

Not sure Bartch is a huge missing piece. Shat should fill in fine. Missing MJJ is a hit to the wr corp but we should have Zay Jones so don't think that's a terrible deal either. Foley being out is tough for our run D.... 

Anyone talking about how a win shouldn't be celebrated should probably just go watch paint dry.

Bartch is still one of our starting lineman, he was getting better each game.  I like Shatley but at Center not guard.  He looked bad in camp and preseason at guard, he was actually our starter early but Bartch beat him out.  It's not good if Bartch is beating you out.  We have Zay but MJJ is our most consistent WR and a go to when we really need a play.  I'd honestly like to see Tim Jones get some action
(10-16-2022, 10:43 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

(10-16-2022, 09:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]We haven't beat the Colts in Indy in years.  A win even by 1 point would make me happy, a win is a win at the end of the day and we will be .500 6 games in

I predicted, and still do, 6-8 wins, but I expected our struggles to come against good teams. The Houston game was a certified goat rope. It's one thing to hone your skills against teams with better talent. It's another to lay a Gus Bradley dookie in the middle of the field against a winless team. 

I'm onboard the improvement train, I just didn't expect it to derail so spectacularly, thus aggravating my Battered Fan Syndrome. 5 games of Doug Pederson coaching isn't going to overcome more than a decade of relentless disappointment. 

Now get off my lawn!

(10-16-2022, 11:00 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2022, 10:43 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how you expected this season to go but if you had told me we had 2 wins and a chance to sweep the clots in week 6 I would have taken that all day before the season started lol

Bartch is still one of our starting lineman, he was getting better each game.  I like Shatley but at Center not guard.  He looked bad in camp and preseason at guard, he was actually our starter early but Bartch beat him out.  It's not good if Bartch is beating you out.  We have Zay but MJJ is our most consistent WR and a go to when we really need a play.  I'd honestly like to see Tim Jones get some action

I would like to see Tim Jones today, too. However, Pederson seems to prefer Agnew over Tim Jones and he's not wrong.

I feel the same way.  I was in the stadium last week, and when Trevor threw that pick in the end zone, that was so painful.  This week, I'm out of town and can't see the game where I am, but usually, when that happens, I make some kind of effort to get the game, but this week, for the first time since 1995, I might be doing something else.
This is a win. The Colts are banged up.