Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How to get this turned around
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ways to get this thing turned around.

Things like be more accurate at times, block better, cut out the drops, tackle better etc.  are fundamentals that need to be corrected but here are the things I feel we need to do to get this going in the right direction 

1.  Use the same game plan on offense we used in the Colts game.  There were a few plays I questioned but overall I liked the game plan.  Run the ball

2.  Bench Griffin, Herndon has had some bad games but he has never had a game as bad as Griffin did last week and Herndon looked good the q game he started.  I'd play Griffin on a small % of plays to see if he can hold up, if he starts playing better slowly work him in, if not leave him on the bench or even cut him.  I'd rather give Montaric Brown the reps.  If we are going to get destroyed at corner let the rookie get the reps.

3.  Pray that Fatukasi is back

4.  Let Campbell follow the teams best WR on just a couple plays to see if he is capable of playing on the left side.  If he looks to struggle on the opposite side then just move him back until later on when we feel like we can try again.  Some corners can some cant. Richard Sherman is a future HOF but he always played on one side.  We won't know though until we experiment. 

5.  Slowly start adding plays for Tim Jones.  I feel like Jones is a hidden gem

6.  I like the aggressiveness, but take the 3 points more often than not.  I know there is certain situations we need to be aggressive and go for it on 4th, but if it's 4th down and we are on the 33.  Kick the 50 yarder.  If we don't feel like our kicker can make a 50 yarder we have the wrong kicker, which I know he can make a 50 yarder.

What are your top things you feel we need to do to get this turned around?
MAKE FEWER MISTAKES

That's it. 

We have 4 or 5 wins right now if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so many times

Defensively, Caldwell may need to make some smarter coverage adjustments if teams continue to attack underneath.
#3. That one's bigger than any of the other options.

#7 Keep doing what you're doing. The games are close. The difference between weeks 2-3 and 5-6 is that we didn't force the other team into mistakes. If we get a turnover, kill a drive, chances are we're talking about what worked instead of what didn't.
(10-19-2022, 08:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]MAKE FEWER MISTAKES

That's it. 

We have 4 or 5 wins right now if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so many times

Defensively, Caldwell may need to make some smarter coverage adjustments if teams continue to attack underneath.
That's legit it.

There's about 1 or 2 plays every loss that causes this team to lose. Whether it's poorly timed roughing the passers or a bad interception, they are beating themselves. 

The offense is moving the ball really well.
Run the ball. If it looks like the pass game is not working, which results in the D being on the field too long, go back to the run.

Why aren’t we utilizing our TEs more?

That's it. 

That was mentioned in that first paragraph.  You can really say that about any team.  There are also things I feel we need to do differently that can help us get in the right direction. There are things you can do differently to limit the mistakes, that what we need to figure out.  A few is like running the ball more, that pick in the endzone would of never happened if we ran the ball on 2nd and 2 on the 7 yard line.  Like kicking the FG, that mistake or bad call on 4th would of never happened if we kick the FG.  You can't just say go throw the ball 50 times and don't make mistakes, he's not ready to do that yet  Do things a little different to lessen and limit those mistakes.

(10-19-2022, 09:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Run the ball. If it looks like the pass game is not working, which results in the D being on the field too long, go back to the run.

That's some good ones
(10-19-2022, 09:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

That's it. 

That was mentioned in that first paragraph.  You can really say that about any team.  There are also things I feel we need to do differently that can help us get in the right direction. There are things you can do differently to limit the mistakes, that what we need to figure out.  A few is like running the ball more, that pick in the endzone would of never happened if we ran the ball on 2nd and 2 on the 7 yard line.  Like kicking the FG, that mistake or bad call on 4th would of never happened if we kick the FG.  You can't just say go throw the ball 50 times and don't make mistakes, he's not ready to do that yet  Do things a little different to lessen and limit those mistakes.

Meh.

The game plan and play calling has been 95% great  - and even in the losses - it was enough to win with if mistakes had been limited.

But they were not, and those mistakes cost us some wins. 

If you just want a list of arm chair HC adjustments - we can do that - but the number one, primary thing that will get us wins in our current state is to limit the mistakes. 

Outside of that :

Create a package defensively for any offense that models the recent colts (and the eagles to a degree) method of attacking the underneath stuff with quick releases to negate our pass rush. When that shows up - send in this package. 
I don't care how he configures it - Caldwell is smart - but he needs to identify which receivers and TEs need to be pressed and disrupted and get players moving to them that have a chance of doing that successfully. 
The guys in our back seven are smart enough to communicate and adjust on the field in a hurry-up situation, but they need to have a plan going in and know who will move to which route or player to limit this stuff. Disguised coverage with safeties would be a great idea in these moments. 
DO NOT show your hand defensively with where you are placing your safeties when this happens again. Make them move around. 

Keep feeding carries and targets to your running backs - they are producing - use it.
This is secondarily important because it aids time of possession - which has hurt our defense in recent weeks

I think we are doing quite well outside of these two areas, just making too many mistakes in different areas that cost us wins.
It's primarily what NYC said. Limit your mistakes. When you're losing games by one possession you're ultimately looking at a mistake or two that cost you points, time of possession or the opportunity to get off the field defensively.

That's all it really boils down to. I don't think you can say it's the run game nor the pass game. For what it's worth? Etienne and Robinson are both over 300 yards on the ground. Hasty is starting to work his way into the rotation and Lawrence was finally showing his leg work inside the red zone this past Sunday.

I think the passing game is well balanced. Everybody is getting involved. The ball is being relatively evenly disbursed amongst the skill position groups. They're on the right track.

The only thing that I can really add is that they need to get off to a faster start and set the tone early offensively. It's been a bit of a bummer. Virtually every time they have their first offensive possession they completely stall out. I would also like to see Doug dial back on some of those 4th down attempts. We're 4 / 12 on those attempts now.

We left some field goal opportunities out there that could have changed some of the overall outcomes potentially in the grand scheme of things. I would also have to go back and look at those eight failed attempts to see if our opponents ultimately added points to their total or, at the minimum, chewed up valuable time of possession that we could have used down the stretch.

That's really it.

1. Limit your mistakes while maximizing your opportunities within scoring range.
2. Tone down the aggressive behavior on 4th downs.
3. Get off to a faster start and actually set the tone offensively with your first possession.
Is the league more level than usual or is this normal? Seems like there is 25 teams with 2-4, 3-3, or 4-2. If the team manages to string together three or four wins, we could find ourselves in the top-10.
I think Lawrence is the type of Qb who does best with longer, measured drives supported by a running attack, sort of like the final drive of the game. He has great intermediate ball placement much of the time. Scrambling on third down has been working. I think stick to that game plan, and avoid hero ball except at the times it’s really needed. Once defenses cheat, then take a deep shot once in a while, but play to Trevor’s strengths overall.
(10-19-2022, 10:30 AM)Norseman Wrote: [ -> ]Is the league more level than usual or is this normal? Seems like there is 25 teams with 2-4, 3-3, or 4-2. If the team manages to string together three or four wins, we could find ourselves in the top-10.

It seems like there may be a few more teams jammed up in the middle than normal, yes. 
Was just thinking the same last week looking around the standings.
Big name teams lost early this year. We only had 2 unbeatens going into what, week 3? Some notable powers lost games they probably shouldn't have and good teams like the Bays are just .500. It's a weird year so far.
(10-19-2022, 10:25 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's primarily what NYC said. Limit your mistakes. When you're losing games by one possession you're ultimately looking at a mistake or two that cost you points, time of possession or the opportunity to get off the field defensively.

That's all it really boils down to. I don't think you can say it's the run game nor the pass game. For what it's worth? Etienne and Robinson are both over 300 yards on the ground. Hasty is starting to work his way into the rotation and Lawrence was finally showing his leg work inside the red zone this past Sunday.

I think the passing game is well balanced. Everybody is getting involved. The ball is being relatively evenly disbursed amongst the skill position groups. They're on the right track.

The only thing that I can really add is that they need to get off to a faster start and set the tone early offensively. It's been a bit of a bummer. Virtually every time they have their first offensive possession they completely stall out. I would also like to see Doug dial back on some of those 4th down attempts. We're 4 / 12 on those attempts now.

We left some field goal opportunities out there that could have changed some of the overall outcomes potentially in the grand scheme of things. I would also have to go back and look at those eight failed attempts to see if our opponents ultimately added points to their total or, at the minimum, chewed up valuable time of possession that we could have used down the stretch.

That's really it.

1. Limit your mistakes while maximizing your opportunities within scoring range.
3. Get off to a faster start and actually set the tone offensively with your first possession.

That's what I stated in my first paragraph, but every team in the league can say that.  There are definitely things we could of done differently and we could be 4-2 easily that those mistakes wouldn't of happened, that's how you fix the mistakes.  Everything hasn't been perfect from this coaching staff and it's not all on the players.  One example is throwing it on 2nd and 2 on the 7 yard line, it was a mistake by Lawrence to throw that but we should ran it.   Last week it was 3rd and 1 and we throw the ball and then run a QB option on 4th down.  The great coaches don't just say just don't make mistakes.  The put them in better opportunities to limit and lessen the mistakes.  There have been a number of questionable calls in key situations.  Another example is having Griffin out there on that TD that won the game, he was burnt toast all game, Herndon should of been out there.
(10-19-2022, 09:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Run the ball. If it looks like the pass game is not working, which results in the D being on the field too long, go back to the run.

There could have been a bit more in certain weeks but Engram has 16 targets over the past 2 games. 

Nonetheless - I wouldn't hate a few more plays utilizing Arnold or Manhertz as more than blockers.
Just blow the whole thing up.

Just nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.
(10-19-2022, 11:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 10:25 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's primarily what NYC said. Limit your mistakes. When you're losing games by one possession you're ultimately looking at a mistake or two that cost you points, time of possession or the opportunity to get off the field defensively.

That's really it.

That's what I stated in my first paragraph, but every team in the league can say that.  There are definitely things we could of done differently and we could be 4-2 easily that those mistakes wouldn't of happened, that's how you fix the mistakes.  Everything hasn't been perfect from this coaching staff and it's not all on the players.  One example is throwing it on 2nd and 2 on the 7 yard line, it was a mistake by Lawrence to throw that but we should ran it.   Last week it was 3rd and 1 and we throw the ball and then run a QB option on 4th down.  The great coaches don't just say just don't make mistakes.  The put them in better opportunities to limit and lessen the mistakes.  There have been a number of questionable calls in key situations.  Another example is having Griffin out there on that TD that won the game, he was burnt toast all game, Herndon should of been out there.

I don't get this. 

Every team in the league cannot look at their tape and say "if we had 2 or 3 less execution mistakes in 3 of our games, we'd be 5 and 1 right now." 

They can't.  They can't say that. 

We can. 

Also - every team in the league could also sit here and say "if we had switched to this coverage, or if we had altered our run/pass balance, or if we subbed this player for that..." That is not unique to us. 

But of the 20 teams with 3 or more losses - I don't believe they can all say "we did enough to win, but made a few mistakes that cost us the dub" 

We are one of a few teams that can say that accurately. 
Plenty of those 20 teams have experienced losses that would not have been reversed by two or three fewer self-inflicted mistakes.
We haven't had a loss like that this year (yet) and we don't need to reinvent the wheel to win games moving forward.
Can we cheat?

Just wondering.
(10-19-2022, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 11:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I stated in my first paragraph, but every team in the league can say that.  There are definitely things we could of done differently and we could be 4-2 easily that those mistakes wouldn't of happened, that's how you fix the mistakes.  Everything hasn't been perfect from this coaching staff and it's not all on the players.  One example is throwing it on 2nd and 2 on the 7 yard line, it was a mistake by Lawrence to throw that but we should ran it.   Last week it was 3rd and 1 and we throw the ball and then run a QB option on 4th down.  The great coaches don't just say just don't make mistakes.  The put them in better opportunities to limit and lessen the mistakes.  There have been a number of questionable calls in key situations.  Another example is having Griffin out there on that TD that won the game, he was burnt toast all game, Herndon should of been out there.

I don't get this. 

Every team in the league cannot look at their tape and say "if we had 2 or 3 less execution mistakes in 3 of our games, we'd be 5 and 1 right now." 

We can. 

Also - every team in the league could also sit here and say "if we had switched to this coverage, or if we had altered our run/pass balance, or if we subbed this player for that..." That is not unique to us. 

But of the 20 teams with 3 or more losses - I don't believe they can all say "we did enough to win, but made a few mistakes that cost us the dub" 

Plenty of those 20 teams have experienced losses that would not have been reversed by two or three fewer self-inflicted mistakes.
We haven't had a loss like that this year (yet) and we don't need to reinvent the wheel to win games moving forward.

Every team can say just make fewer mistakes and the team will improve.  Most games are won by other teams mistakes.  Look at the 1 win Texans, 2 of their 3 losses were by 1 score and the other they lost by 10. Look at 1 win Raiders, all 4 of their losses have came by 1 score. This isn't college, if the Raiders and Texans would of just had fewer mistakes their record would be much better just like us.  I just used those 2 as examples because those 2 teams have 2 of the worst records in the league's.  There is a few things we need to change to get this team winning games and Doug took a step in the right direction last week with the way he wanted to run the football.
(10-19-2022, 12:37 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Can we cheat?

Just wondering.

Bill Belichick get out of hb's account.
(10-19-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2022, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get this. 

We can. 

Every team can say just make fewer mistakes and the team will improve.  Most games are won by other teams mistakes.  Look at the 1 win Texans, 2 of their 3 losses were by 1 score and the other they lost by 10. Look at 1 win Raiders, all 4 of their losses have came by 1 score. This isn't college, if the Raiders and Texans would of just had fewer mistakes their record would be much better just like us.  I just used those 2 as examples because those 2 teams have 2 of the worst records in the league's.  There is a few things we need to change to get this team winning games and Doug took a step in the right direction last week with the way he wanted to run the football.

Don't move the goalposts. 

I didn't say "improve" - I said go from 2 wins to 5 wins. 
You know damn well there are several teams out there who are not a few mistakes away from a 5-1 record. Yet you said "anyone in the league can say that." 

No. No they can't. 

We are a few mistakes away from a 5-1 record. Many are not. 

Patriots couldn't accurately say that.
Steelers couldn't accurately say that.
Commanders couldn't accurately say that.
Panthers couldn't accurately say that.
Rams can't even say that accurately right now. 
You can even make a case that the Cardinals have had more than just a few mistakes that caused 2 of their losses. 

We are in a better situation than those teams. Our losses have been more preventable via simple execution of the plays and coverages being called.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5