Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade Day 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thoughts?
Thoughts? I think this should be meme reactions only.
(04-28-2023, 11:22 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts?  I think this should be meme reactions only.

[Image: confused-no.gif]
(04-28-2023, 11:24 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2023, 11:22 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts?  I think this should be meme reactions only.

[Image: confused-no.gif]

I was expecting something more like this:

[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-28-2023, 11:29 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2023, 11:24 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ][Image: confused-no.gif]

I was expecting something more like this:

Or this:

I had to keep it real. Im one of the biggest push overs as a jags fan, but I had to give this a D+.

The reason is because I believe there were better players and positions of need that were ignored. That being said, I will quickly get on my teal glasses and be back ready for day 3 tomorrow.
Day 2 was terrible, especially since we just stood pat with all the picks we acquired by trading down. Now you add in that we overdrafted a TE and for some reason took a RB with our last two premium picks and yeah, this was a real bad day 2.
Tank Bigsby will turn out to be a solid pick. Now we have a 2 headed monster. Etienne, Bigs, Strange, Harrison, Kirk, Jones, Engram, Fortner from last draft and our franchise Lawrence. We have a super young offense with skilled players everywhere. They are building around Trevor Lawrence.

We’re going to be one of the top scoring offenses in the league. We have plenty of picks left to make some noise on defense.

Bigsby is an exciting player. He can bust one loose from anywhere. He reminds me of Tavian Banks and Cadillac Williams and he’s dripping with talent. It was a Best Available Player pick. Lot of gripes when we picked Etienne but he turned out to be awesome.

I didn’t like the 2nd round pick, but Strange is growing on me fast. He’s a nasty blocker and he has strong hands. He ran a 4.7 but he moves well in pads and runs crispy routes. He’s a hustler and was under utilized at Penn State.

They are drafting the best player available while keeping value in mind. Needs drafting gets you Reggie Williams instead of Rothlisberger.
(04-28-2023, 11:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Tank Bigsby will turn out to be a solid pick. Now we have a 2 headed monster. Etienne, Bigs, Strange, Harrison, Kirk, Jones, Engram, Fortner from last draft and our franchise Lawrence. We have a super young offense with skilled players everywhere. They are building around Trevor Lawrence.

We’re going to be one of the top scoring offenses in the league. We have plenty of picks left to make some noise on defense.

Bigsby is an exciting player. He can bust one loose from anywhere. He reminds me of Tavian Banks and Cadillac Williams and he’s dripping with talent. It was a Best Available Player pick. Lot of gripes when we picked Etienne but he turned out to be awesome.

I didn’t like the 2nd round pick, but Strange is growing on me fast. He’s a nasty blocker and he has strong hands. He ran a 4.7 but he moves well in pads and runs crispy routes. He’s a hustler and was under utilized at Penn State.

They are drafting the best player available while keeping value in mind. Needs drafting gets you Reggie Williams instead of Rothlisberger.

That was terrible value at that pick for our team.

BAP got us Bryan Anger in the 3rd instead of Russell Wilson or Olivier Vernon. BAP doesn't mean anything if your value/evaluation is wrong.
(04-28-2023, 11:57 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2023, 11:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Tank Bigsby will turn out to be a solid pick. Now we have a 2 headed monster. Etienne, Bigs, Strange, Harrison, Kirk, Jones, Engram, Fortner from last draft and our franchise Lawrence. We have a super young offense with skilled players everywhere. They are building around Trevor Lawrence.

That was terrible value at that pick for our team.

BAP got us Bryan Anger in the 3rd instead of Russell Wilson or Olivier Vernon. BAP doesn't mean anything if your value/evaluation is wrong.

Check out the last sentence in the 3rd paragraph.
Something worth to note going into tomorrow.

We have:

Here's some players on the board still.

Defense:
Kelee Ringo
Adetomiwa Adebawore
Clark Phillips III
Darius Rush
Terell Smith
Nick Herbig
Antonio Johnson
Antonio Johnson Jr.
Daniel Scott
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson
Scott Matlock
JL Skinner
Jaquelin Roy
Yasir Abdullah
Christopher Smith II
Carrington Valentine
Karl Brooks
Isaiah McGuire
Tyler Lacy
Andre Carter II

They can STILL get quality defenders tomorrow if they want them. Especially in RD4. There's a number of guys listed above that they visited with as well. Guys they wanted all along.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(04-29-2023, 12:05 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Something worth to note going into tomorrow.

We have:

Defense:
Kelee Ringo
Adetomiwa Adebawore
Clark Phillips III
Darius Rush
Terell Smith
Nick Herbig
Antonio Johnson
Antonio Johnson Jr.
Daniel Scott
Scott Matlock
JL Skinner
Jaquelin Roy
Yasir Abdullah
Christopher Smith II
Carrington Valentine
Karl Brooks
Isaiah McGuire
Tyler Lacy
Andre Carter II

They can STILL get quality defenders tomorrow if they want them. Especially in RD4. There's a number of guys listed above that they visited with as well. Guys they wanted all along.

I’m hoping for atleast 1 DE that can jump in that rotation and push Walker for playing time.
(04-29-2023, 12:10 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2023, 12:05 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Something worth to note going into tomorrow.

We have:

Defense:
Kelee Ringo
Adetomiwa Adebawore
Clark Phillips III
Darius Rush
Terell Smith
Nick Herbig
Antonio Johnson
Antonio Johnson Jr.
Daniel Scott
Scott Matlock
JL Skinner
Jaquelin Roy
Yasir Abdullah
Christopher Smith II
Carrington Valentine
Karl Brooks
Isaiah McGuire
Tyler Lacy
Andre Carter II

I’m hoping for atleast 1 DE that can jump in that rotation and push Walker for playing time.
I like Karl Brooks for that role.

I'm slowly walking back from the ledge...

Chris Manhertz was the teams primary blocking TE, he's on another team. Next guy up would be luke Farrel and he's hasn't shown real threat in thr pass game. I think Strange comes in as the opposite TE in 12 personell and will offer more of a pass catching threat as a more classical TE. The knock on him is going to be his average athleticism 4.7 speed and so on. The question long term is, can he run routes, gain leverage and use his size and strength to box out defenders and make contested catches consistently. Time will tell.

I think Tank Bigsby is insert prototypical nfl starting caliber tailback. I see no real risk with the pick and looks like a poor man's ETN with similar running style. He also does things in the pass game that can translate to 3rd downs and ETN not having to take 400 touches on his frame. The only real objection could be philosophical, why not take a defender, why not trade up, do we need a running back etc.

On its face, I would have preffered some pass defenders (rush or cover) but I actually think there's little risk in the picks we made today.
(04-29-2023, 12:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2023, 11:57 PM)enigma Wrote: [ -> ]That was terrible value at that pick for our team.

Check out the last sentence in the 3rd paragraph.

Oh I clearly saw before you edited it.
Today was a D. D- for the reach on Strange. C- for Bigsby.
I'll wait for all these pissing comments to not age well just like when we all talk [BLEEP] about Kirk, Zay, Evan, Walker, Lloyd, Muma Hell we could throw Campbell and insert player name here that we [BLEEP] about. That song will keep
playing in my ear if these players Helps push us forward Smdh. Move [BLEEP] get out the Way
From what I've looked at after the selections, I do like the players we took but I question the positions. We still have an absurd amount of picks (9 in total) from rd 4-7.. I would have went TE/RB somewhere with those, and went after a Guard/Corner early.
Grade? Still not a clue! but here's my ten pence to add to the discussion.

Interesting evening by the sounds of it  Wink ... 

Were they the players (or in Bigsbys case the position) id have likely targetted, in all honesty probably not, but it's also fair to note that the jaguars scouting department have seen far more college football than I'll ever watch, so you would expect the FO and coaching staff have a clear vision of how they want them to fit into our system especially the tight end. Looking into the various scouting reports on the two boys again there are no huge negatives and (a little bit like Harrison) they seems to be, if not the finished article, at least a good amount of potential with both players! Whether you draft on potential is a matter for debate which may end up in the realms of the Tebow thread or BAP vs Needs  Big Grin

Rightly or wrongly Baalke is likely to be judged far more on day two than on day one on some of the players he passed on. I felt his hands were tied with Harrison, but when you look at the prospects drafted after #56 or even slightly before and were in range for a trade up for there were certainly a number who could have had a case argued for... 

Torrance however, does have the feel of the guy whom may end up being used as the stick used to beat! Again, very possibly unfairly, but passing on Torrance does have a similar feeling to passing on Jamare Salyer. I've said it before but as guilty as we are on this board is for some shocking takes at times, when it generally coalesces behind a pick it isnt usually too far off the mark!

The really interesting thing for me is the stockpiling of late round picks. I'll wait till the day three thread gets going properly to debate but 10 selections after the third round seems a huge amount. You can put me in the queue of folk who were surprised we didn't use some of it on day two so i'd be really interested to know what the plan is for those picks is... be it trying to win with volume of picks, be it trade ups, or veteran player trades. To give it some context, ESPN have Baalke on record as having draftable grades on 127 players. We have pick #127 and 8 further picks after that. If we don't have a strategy for those late rounders there's the potential for wasting a lot of capital!
I really just hope we end up with more picks in the 4th round than we currently have, all those 6's/7's we have should be used as ammo to get back into the rounds where there is still talent available.
Cbs sports gave us an A- for Strange, and a B for Bigsby.
Pages: 1 2 3