Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Anyone catch Mayor Curry’s speculation today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Basically said the renovations will require the team to play elsewhere for two. But where? Thoughts?
Camping World would work fine. Doak and BHG can support an NFL team in a pinch, but Camping World would be better. Orlando would probably throw in temporary teal stadium cladding for free.
He sounded like he had zero idea what he was talking about.

I'd wait to hear plans from Khan/Lamping before drawing too many conclusions from his phone call to the radio station.

The concept of a multi phase reno that allows games to happen while renovations go on sounds feasible to me.

Curry won't be involved, so it makes sense he's not in the loop.
(05-10-2023, 08:37 PM)GaJag Wrote: [ -> ]Basically said the renovations will require the team to play elsewhere for two. But where? Thoughts?

So the team finally has some good years coming with trevor and the games won’t be here.  We’ve had terrible teams for 15 yrs and now when things finally are looking up, we lose 2 seasons for stadium upgrades.  They need to do everything they can to delay this 5 yrs.
(05-10-2023, 10:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He sounded like he had zero idea what he was talking about.

I'd wait to hear plans from Khan/Lamping before drawing too many conclusions from his phone call to the radio station.

The concept of a multi phase reno that allows games to happen while renovations go on sounds feasible to me.

Curry won't be involved, so it makes sense he's not in the loop.

Agree. Lamping has already explained what the likely scenario will be for a stadium renovation. I’ll take his word for it over a mayor headed out the door.

I am curious about stadium naming rights, though. It was reported several months ago that the current agreement with TIAA was ending at season completion.
(05-10-2023, 08:37 PM)GaJag Wrote: [ -> ]Basically said the renovations will require the team to play elsewhere for two. But where? Thoughts?

The renovations in Miami went on for 3 years, and they kept playing in the same stadium.  So it can be managed.
Just build a new stadium somewhere else, either on Lot J or down on the far Southside. The old girl's been through enough, time to put her down.

I brought this up a few weeks ago. It wouldn’t shock me if either scenario plays out (end up playing somewhere else or figure out a way to play in it while it’s being renovated like Miami). 

However the renovations to TIAA may be more significant than what they did in Miami making the second scenario less likely. We’ll have to see when the preliminary design is completed. Secondly, what is the future of the Fla/Ga game in Jax? This could play into planning for the new stadium and how it’s executed as well.
(05-11-2023, 06:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

The renovations in Miami went on for 3 years, and they kept playing in the same stadium.  So it can be managed.

@Do people really go to Phins games, though?@
(05-10-2023, 11:18 PM)WVUJagsman Wrote: [ -> ]

So the team finally has some good years coming with trevor and the games won’t be here.  We’ve had terrible teams for 15 yrs and now when things finally are looking up, we lose 2 seasons for stadium upgrades.  They need to do everything they can to delay this 5 yrs.

No kidding.  I think they should petition the league to consolidate their home schedule into Nov-Dec-Jan so they could essentially perform construction from mid-Jan (or Feb if they host playoffs) through October each year.  Not sure if that's possible since they'd have to secure construction in Oct to make it safe but I'd prefer that and I think the players would too vs traveling to that suck [BLEEP] stadium in Orlando for home games.

London
The option we should hope for is that they figure out how to copy what Miami did.  Use the exact same foundation and put new stands and a shade structure on it. 

Copying Tampa, and building the new stadium next door to the old one is tempting, but remember all that land is contaminated. The whole reason the stadium is where it is, and why it was able to be built relatively cheap in the first place, is they recycled a deep foundation dating back to before there were as many EPA type regulations, and they knew most of the contamination that's in the neighboring lots didn't affect that site because there had been a stadium there since the 1930s.  So building a new stadium next to the old one is probably the most expensive option.  Lots of soil remediation would be needed.

Another option would be building a new stadium somewhere else.  Every non residential area on the central Northside with good connections to the expressways is already well-used for offices and logistics, or is likely contaminated from the WWII days.  You need a place with expressway connections that's more derelict, that was still cowtown in those early industrial days. Regency Square Mall comes to mind.
(05-11-2023, 09:25 AM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]

London

Of course that’s impossible. Other nearby venues suitable for hosting NFL games are scarce. I don’t see an option other than playing in the stadium during renovation. 

The best solution, in my eyes, would be a new stadium in the Lot J and Fairgrounds footprint. Unfortunately, the track record of this team makes convincing tax payers to help with a new stadium out of the question right now. However, if they can kick this can down the road for a few years, I think attitudes will change.

(05-11-2023, 09:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The option we should hope for is that they figure out how to copy what Miami did.  Use the exact same foundation and put new stands and a shade structure on it. 

Copying Tampa, and building the new stadium next door to the old one is tempting, but remember all that land is contaminated. The whole reason the stadium is where it is, and why it was able to be built relatively cheap in the first place, is they recycled a deep foundation dating back to before there were as many EPA type regulations, and they knew most of the contamination that's in the neighboring lots didn't affect that site because there had been a stadium there since the 1930s.  So building a new stadium next to the old one is probably the most expensive option.  Lots of soil remediation would be needed.

Another option would be building a new stadium somewhere else.  Every non residential area on the central Northside with good connections to the expressways is already well-used for offices and logistics, or is likely contaminated from the WWII days.  You need a place with expressway connections that's more derelict, that was still cowtown in those early industrial days. Regency Square Mall comes to mind.

Some coworkers and I were discussing this option earlier. Without an in-depth survey to reference, it seems like a good alternative .
That's a horrible idea, take the team that is finally poised to win and move them away for two years?
(05-11-2023, 09:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The option we should hope for is that they figure out how to copy what Miami did.  Use the exact same foundation and put new stands and a shade structure on it. 

Yea, agreed. Would like to see it at the corner of Butler and San Pablo on the banks of the intercoastal (would be a great view of Jax Beach and the ocean), but that land is too valuable now. It might help revitalize the Regency area in general, tho it's not a real good look for visiting teams. Between downtown on the river and Regency, I'd take downtown. Or maybe move it across the river to the Southbank where the old JEA Southside Generating Station used to be. The city might still own that land, and it would still be Riverfront. Would be a tight fit, but a smaller stadium might fit.
(05-11-2023, 10:08 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]

Yea, agreed.  Would like to see it at the corner of Butler and San Pablo on the banks of the intercoastal (would be a great view of Jax Beach and the ocean), but that land is too valuable now.  It might help revitalize the Regency area in general, tho it's not a real good look for visiting teams.  Between downtown on the river and Regency, I'd take downtown.  Or maybe move it across the river to the Southbank where the old JEA Southside Generating Station used to be. The city might still own that land, and it would still be Riverfront.  Would be a tight fit, but a smaller stadium might fit.

Too close to Ponte Vedra. That will get the class warfare soldiers up in arms.
(05-11-2023, 09:56 AM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]That's a horrible idea, take the team that is finally poised to win and move them away for two years?

Likely not happening, IMO.

Just ill-informed rambling from a mayor with weeks left in office who won't be involved in the renovation, and therefore isn't involved in the current planning.
(05-11-2023, 06:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Just  build a new stadium somewhere else, either on Lot J or down on the far Southside. The old girl's been through enough, time to put her down.

Oh man, why does she have to be put down, can't we send her upstate to a farm to hang out with the Silverdome, Kingdome, Three Rivers, Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds?  I know my dog from when I was young is there and would love to run through the Gator Bowl/Alltel/Everbank/TIAA Bank field.....
Per the 2 year renovation and the 2 year move-out...there is only 1 realistic solution, and that is Ben Hill Griffin stadium. Doak and Camping World are too far away, tho maybe I could see the Jags entertain Orlando as a way to grab more Central Florida market. You certainly can't use UNF's 9,000 seat soccer stadium. Of course, in-place renovations make the most sense.
(05-11-2023, 10:08 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]

Yea, agreed.  Would like to see it at the corner of Butler and San Pablo on the banks of the intercoastal (would be a great view of Jax Beach and the ocean), but that land is too valuable now.  It might help revitalize the Regency area in general, tho it's not a real good look for visiting teams.  Between downtown on the river and Regency, I'd take downtown.  Or maybe move it across the river to the Southbank where the old JEA Southside Generating Station used to be. The city might still own that land, and it would still be Riverfront.  Would be a tight fit, but a smaller stadium might fit.

The permits for the old generating station are already issued, it's going to mixed commercial/residential and named The District.
Pages: 1 2 3