Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Should be easy cuts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Luke Farrell = this guy is mainly a blocker, and two blocking TEs aren't needed on the field. Brenton Strange is the blocking TE. Stash Farrell on the practice squad. If he's picked up, slow, non-separating blocking TEs are not hard to find.

JaMycal Hasty = he had one good run last year. I'd put him on the practice squad because he's highly replaceable. No need to keep more than three running backs when ETN and Bigsby are going to hoard 95% of the carries. 

Tyler Shatley = injury settlement. He's proven to be a marginal starter when needed, but he's getting really long in the tooth. It's time to fill his role with someone with potential. I'd add a lineman cut from a talented O-line team -- someone young who falls victim to the numbers game (e.g., the Steelers' Kendrick Green if he's cut). 

CJ Beathard = this has been discussed ad nauseum on here. Rourke offers far more upside and can learn the system as well as Beathard in time. I could see Rourke still taking the team to the playoffs with his moxie if Trevor goes down. He reminds me of a young Brunell. Beathard is a lower third backup. No other team is making him their #2. Let him sit on his tractor until his phone rings. 

Tre Herndon = Junior is more talented and ascending. Cut Herndon and consider an ascending corner or safety from another roster to fill his spot with. 

K'lavon Chaisson = trade him for a ham sandwich is possible. He's a liability. Let Jordan Smith and Abdullah develop.

Shaq Quarterman = put him on the practice squad, knowing linebackers like him are a dime a dozen.
go back a couple of years and those "cuts" are our starting players week in week out lol
I agree with all of that except the back up QB and shatly for now. Herndon gets on my nerves, but I doubt he willl get cut.

I think the jags need to keep an eye out for another nose guard for depth.
Agree with you on Beathard, Farrell, and Quarterman.

I like Hasty, Herndon, Chaisson and Shatley as depth personally, but if they are cut I wouldn’t be blown away.

Fwiw I’d add to your list

Parker Washington.
I don’t dislike the player, but he seems like a practice squad guy to develop. I’m not sure why he is viewed as a lock on this board.

He won’t be active on game day unless Agnew is injured or traded. I would rather keep a different young receiver.

Chris Claybrooks.
Actually a really nice special teams player, but not good enough to bother with off the field issues. 2 arrests…. Just not a good look man.

Lots of other candidates, but I think most people already agree that they aren’t even on the bubble.
Quarterman blasted Henry last year like we've never seen correct? Chaisson, Claybrooks and all the other aforementioned guys are expendable. I don't know, we want winners now not just niche guys.
(08-26-2023, 04:58 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Luke Farrell = this guy is mainly a blocker, and two blocking TEs aren't needed on the field. Brenton Strange is the blocking TE. Stash Farrell on the practice squad. If he's picked up, slow, non-separating blocking TEs are not hard to find.

JaMycal Hasty = he had one good run last year. I'd put him on the practice squad because he's highly replaceable. No need to keep more than three running backs when ETN and Bigsby are going to hoard 95% of the carries. 

Tyler Shatley = injury settlement. He's proven to be a marginal starter when needed, but he's getting really long in the tooth. It's time to fill his role with someone with potential. I'd add a lineman cut from a talented O-line team -- someone young who falls victim to the numbers game (e.g., the Steelers' Kendrick Green if he's cut). 

CJ Beathard = this has been discussed ad nauseum on here. Rourke offers far more upside and can learn the system as well as Beathard in time. I could see Rourke still taking the team to the playoffs with his moxie if Trevor goes down. He reminds me of a young Brunell. Beathard is a lower third backup. No other team is making him their #2. Let him sit on his tractor until his phone rings. 

Tre Herndon = Junior is more talented and ascending. Cut Herndon and consider an ascending corner or safety from another roster to fill his spot with. 

K'lavon Chaisson = trade him for a ham sandwich is possible. He's a liability. Let Jordan Smith and Abdullah develop.

Shaq Quarterman = put him on the practice squad, knowing linebackers like him are a dime a dozen.
I agree on all but 2.  Shatley is a good utility linemen when healthy.

Quarterman should automatically get a spot for that killer hit on Henry.
Solid chance all are on the roster besides Shaq….
Prepare to be disappointed
Farrell I think makes it. He looked fine tonight. Is a good blocker. Engram, Strange, Farrell & Prince is the group I think in total.

It's WR for me that's tough. I don't think Parker Washington should be on the final 53. I just don't. I think he should go to the PS for more development.

I think the 5th and 6th receiver spots are absolutely critical to this team's success this year. We need to have players that have big play ability. Tim Jones has that. Elijah Cooks has that. Jacob Harris has that. One of those three guys is not going to make it.
(08-26-2023, 08:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Farrell I think makes it. He looked fine tonight. Is a good blocker. Engram, Strange, Farrell & Prince is the group I think in total.

It's WR for me that's tough. I don't think Parker Washington should be on the final 53. I just don't. I think he should go to the PS for more development.

I think the 5th and 6th receiver spots are absolutely critical to this team's success this year. We need to have players that have big play ability. Tim Jones has that. Elijah Cooks has that. Jacob Harris has that. One of those three guys is not going to make it.

Parker is 100% making the team.
(08-26-2023, 08:54 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2023, 08:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Farrell I think makes it. He looked fine tonight. Is a good blocker. Engram, Strange, Farrell & Prince is the group I think in total.

Parker is 100% making the team.

I guess. I don't know why, other than wanting to retain the value of a 6th RD pick. I just don't think it's the best option for this team right now. It's going to bug the [BLEEP] out of me later on this year if Cooks or Harris are not on this team and it's passes that Washington can't go up and get, stretch out for or separate for because he lacks the size and speed to get it done.
(08-26-2023, 08:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2023, 08:54 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]Parker is 100% making the team.

I guess. I don't know why, other than wanting to retain the value of a 6th RD pick. I just don't think it's the best option for this team right now. It's going to bug the [BLEEP] out of me later on this year if Cooks or Harris are not on this team and it's passes that Washington can't go up and get, stretch out for or separate for because he lacks the size and speed to get it done.

Parker is going to be the backup slot and backup punt returner. He's not a good up and get it over guys type. He's going to win on short routes. And he has excellent hands. Cooks/Harris ect are guys the get churned through camp every year. We won't miss them. I think the jags keep 6 wrs and cooks makes it as the 6th though.
Really hope they keep both Tim Jones and Cooks.
(08-26-2023, 04:58 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Luke Farrell = this guy is mainly a blocker, and two blocking TEs aren't needed on the field. Brenton Strange is the blocking TE. Stash Farrell on the practice squad. If he's picked up, slow, non-separating blocking TEs are not hard to find.

I think most of these players end up making the team actually.
(08-26-2023, 09:35 PM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]Really hope they keep both Tim Jones and Cooks.

I think that they will. Washington would clear waivers.
(08-26-2023, 09:46 PM)rufftime Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2023, 09:35 PM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]Really hope they keep both Tim Jones and Cooks.

I think that they will. Washington would clear waivers.

It might be hard to justify keeping Washington just because he's a draft pick over a guy like Harris

""Harris, who stands 6’5, 211 pounds, posted an absurd 4.39 40-yard dash at his pro day with a 40.5-inch vertical and the Rams hoped to use that athleticism at tight end. But after his rookie year ended with a knee injury, Los Angeles moved Harris to wide receiver and then gave up on the UCF product after the 2022 season."

like that's absolutely elite physical traits!! if he hasn't lost anything from the knee injury there's a lot to work with. Just keep him at one position and let him develop and refine his technique. Surprised the Rams gave up on a 4th round pick after just 2 years.

I think all of these make the team
(08-26-2023, 08:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2023, 08:54 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]Parker is 100% making the team.

I dunno.  With Wahington on the field those passes might not get thrown in the first place.
Maybe Shaq, or Hasty (only if they keep 3 RB) get cut on that list but I doubt it. They should all make the 53.
Herndon being cut would be the bright spot of my week.
Pages: 1 2 3