Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Medical Marijuana - What Do You Know?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am surprised this topic has never been started on this board. After a doctor visit today, it appears that I may be one of the first Floridians to be prescribed medical Marijuana. I had a long talk with my doctor about it, and he feels strongly that I should. For those who don't know, for the past 2 years or so, I have been fighting stage 4 Kidney Cancer. I still undergo chemo routinely, and have a litany of side effects from it. I am in pretty constant pain, and am pretty medicated most of the time. The doctor feels strongly that this will replace many of my medications I currently take.

So, What do you know about it? Here's what I know. It's not what you think. It comes in the form of an oil or inhaler, and has been processed to take out the THC which is what gives you the typical weed buzz. Everything else left is apparently very helpful to people like me. I haven't started it,  but think I will at some point, depending upon the cost.

If anyone has anything intelligent to add, feel free. This is not a "legalize pot" thread. That can go somewhere else. This is more about the medical side, and what people know and don't know.

That said, have at it.

I have no personal experience with it but, I've read of a lot of people using the oil with great success. 

It makes sense, our bodies have cannabanoid receptors for a reason.

My dad is battling stage 3c cancer right now anything that helps ease the pain I'm in favor of.
After a hard rugby match or any gym session I use CBD oil. Always stayed away from tablets/painkillers since I was small.

It heals my sore muscles, makes throbbing pain from cuts or bruises barely noticeable and helps with sleep a ton. Doesn't really make you drowsy but if you lie down you'll drift to sleep pretty easily.
The show Weediquette on the Viceland channel shows some interesting results with medical patients.
Quote:After a hard rugby match or any gym session I use CBD oil. Always stayed away from tablets/painkillers since I was small.

It heals my sore muscles, makes throbbing pain from cuts or bruises barely noticeable and helps with sleep a ton. Doesn't really make you drowsy but if you lie down you'll drift to sleep pretty easily.
Is it legal where you live?
Quote: helps with sleep a ton. Doesn't really make you drowsy but if you lie down you'll drift to sleep pretty easily.
This is what I would want it for. I've been an insomniac since I was a kid and the two times I puffed in my early 20's was the best sleep I've ever had. As it is I can't take prescription sleeping pills because they make me hallucinate so I have to take xanax and unisom. Sadly one doesn't work without the other. I'd rather use medical marijuana than the chemicals but I don't see it happening in NC anytime soon.
Totally legal here in WA but it makes me paranoid, keeps me up all night and makes me concentrate on whatever pain I'm in. I used to smoke for fun but I'm feeling waaay better without it.
Quote:Is it legal where you live?

Technically no but it would be nigh on impossible to get in trouble over it.
Quote:This is what I would want it for. I've been an insomniac since I was a kid and the two times I puffed in my early 20's was the best sleep I've ever had. As it is I can't take prescription sleeping pills because they make me hallucinate so I have to take xanax and unisom. Sadly one doesn't work without the other. I'd rather use medical marijuana than the chemicals but I don't see it happening in NC anytime soon.

CBD oil would work great for all that and its legal most places as it has almost no psychoactive THC in it.
My personal experience is anecdotal and not with low-THC strains. My usage has also never been legal, up until a decade ago as much recreational as medical, and I do not promote its use by minors unless medically appropriate. Adults should realize the risks and make informed decisions.

From what I've read and been told by one friend in particular, CBDs, the active component in low-THC cannabis, has a milder anti-pain and anti-inflammatory effect than THC, but in concentrated oils it can be effective in managing pain, inflammation, nausea and insomnia.

Whether it's THC or CBD, you are essentially supplementing your Endocannabinoid System (ECS), which is "an internal chemical harm reduction system in the human body that keeps our health in balance." source

Quote:The ECS is controlled by chemicals that our body produces called

<i><b>endocannabinoids.</b></i>

Our endocannabinoids are responsible for keeping our most critical biological functions in balance such as sleep, appetite, the immune system, pain and more. When the body gets out of balance and moves into a state of stress, endocannabinoids go to work to fix the problem. The pharmaceutically active components in the cannabis plant mimic endocannabinoids

and so can be effective in helping the body manage crises and restore itself after trauma when the body’s endocannabinoids are not able to restore balance alone

source

There are qualifying conditions in Florida for medical marijuana with THC, I assume your doctor will prescribe appropriately.

From my own experience, it nearly eliminates chronic muscle spasms, arthritic pain and eases the effects of a condition peculiar to cervical spinal cord injuries, autonomic dysreflexia, which elevates blood pressure, causes headaches and persistent sweating from pain or just discomfort originating below the level of injury.

And by eases, it eliminates it unless it's something so severe to be immediately life threatening. This is something I discovered nearly 40 years ago and has been corroborated by every single person I've met with a cervical spinal cord injury.

<==== Surprisingly, never touched the stuff.  I've been a big fan of decriminalization because it just seems so damn harmless.

I know several potheads and many chemo patients, so...

From what I've read and heard anecdotally is that one big upside is an increase in appetite - particularly useful when undergoing chemo.
[Image: thenug-rUr0V0dxie.jpg]

Quote:<==== Surprisingly, never touched the stuff.  I've been a big fan of decriminalization because it just seems so damn harmless.

I know several potheads and many chemo patients, so...

From what I've read and heard anecdotally is that one big upside is an increase in appetite - particularly useful when undergoing chemo.
I go days without eating sometimes, and it's not an isolated thing. It's weekly. 2-4 days where I live solely on Ensure. So many of the benefits apply directly to my situation, I feel that why shouln't I give this a try.

Are there legal ramifictions? Would I be at risk of losing my CCW license? I haven't carried in several months as is. I have had my right shoulder reconstructed through 4 surgeries. I don't feel comfortable carrying a weapon, so I don't. I do worry about losing that right though. I'm just a good guy with a gun. I don't bother anyone. I don't brag or tell anyone. It's simply if I saw something really bad happening to an innocent person, I would try to stop it.

I wonder if the natural aspect is a better alternative. However, it's processed, separated, and do we REALLY know if other additions are made to the oils? It makes me wonder. Pharmaceuticals is big business, and I don't know if they'll stand by and watch a natural alternative take the scene by storm. It's war on a corporate level, and all wars are bloody and have casualties.

I feel good having learned what I have so far. I still worry about the costs, which   I have no clue what they are. I worry about the legal part of it as well. It's still technically Illegal at the Federal level. I put my family at risk for DEA raids and such. They legally could do it at any time without recourse. I doubt I would ever be a target. I'm sure that they know that I'm just a sick guy looking for some relief and peace. I am a family man and a law abiding citizen. I think I'm safe, but do we really ever know?

Just some more thoughts about all of this. PS: some good news is my doctors STRONGLY FEEL that this has significant anti-cancer properties. That is a huge plus for me. I'm down to one kidney, and have to protect it with a castle and moat. If I ever go to take a leak again, and it's straight blood, I will know the end is near. That was the start of this journey, and I fear it may signal the last mile.
I don't smoke myself but it's hugely popular in Ca, and I personally know a few commercial growers if you'd like me to ask any specific questions.

I could tell you prices but they'll almost certainly be different than Fl prices I would think.

Also, I'm pretty sure our medical marijuana comes in all forms the regular stuff comes in.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like what they're suggesting to you is actually a little different than the medical marijuana we have out here. I'm not aware of THC being processed out, it certainly wouldn't be nearly as popular if that was the case.
As far as I'm concerned, it should be legal for medicinal purposes.  I do have a couple of family members that have had to undergo chemo, and they have used it and reported benefits from it.  Personally if I was in your situation Dakota, I would give it a try, especially if it's prescribed by your doctor.  I imagine that you probably have been prescribed narcotics that are illegal without a prescription.

I wouldn't think that you could lose your CCW license for using something prescribed by your doctor, especially given the circumstances.  I would certainly follow the rules and not carry while under the influence of it or in possession of it, just like I wouldn't carry if I was going to enjoy some adult beverages.

I certainly wouldn't worry about DEA raids or any other law enforcement actions.  They don't go after the "end user" they are going after the major dealers.

The only thing that might be of concern is applying for a job and having to pass a urinalysis.  Again though, if it's in your system and has been prescribed by your doctor, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.  I am not a lawyer.
Oh, dude, I know a lot about this stuff.

What were we talking about?

Quote:I am surprised this topic has never been started on this board. After a doctor visit today, it appears that I may be one of the first Floridians to be prescribed medical Marijuana. I had a long talk with my doctor about it, and he feels strongly that I should. For those who don't know, for the past 2 years or so, I have been fighting stage 4 Kidney Cancer. I still undergo chemo routinely, and have a litany of side effects from it. I am in pretty constant pain, and am pretty medicated most of the time. The doctor feels strongly that this will replace many of my medications I currently take.

So, What do you know about it? Here's what I know. It's not what you think. It comes in the form of an oil or inhaler, and has been processed to take out the THC which is what gives you the typical weed buzz. Everything else left is apparently very helpful to people like me. I haven't started it,  but think I will at some point, depending upon the cost.

If anyone has anything intelligent to add, feel free. This is not a "legalize pot" thread. That can go somewhere else. This is more about the medical side, and what people know and don't know.

That said, have at it.

I know that as time goes by, science is learning more and more about the effects of cannabinoids on the human system and it's been suggested that humans have cannabinoid receptors that function in a way similar to our endocrine system.  I personally know of two people (one with chronic fatigue syndrome and the other with IBS) who say that marijuana has helped where traditional therapies have failed.  (Not me by the way, lol.)  There is anecdotal evidence that it is good for many different kinds of ailments.  I won't get into the political side of it other than to say big pharma has a vested financial interest in trying to keep marijuana illegal.

Quote:I know that as time goes by, science is learning more and more about the effects of cannabinoids on the human system and it's been suggested that humans have cannabinoid receptors that function in a way similar to our endocrine system.  I personally know of two people (one with chronic fatigue syndrome and the other with IBS) who say that marijuana has helped where traditional therapies have failed.  (Not me by the way, lol.)  There is anecdotal evidence that it is good for many different kinds of ailments.  I won't get into the political side of it other than to say big pharma has a vested financial interest in trying to keep marijuana illegal.
That and it can't be regulated nor patented because it's a plant. That's why supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. They're mostly made of plants and herbs and those can't be regulated. If the government can't control it then they don't want people to have it. 
Please avoid the political side of this discussion.

Pages: 1 2 3 4