Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brandon Linder and the Friday night practice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Watching the clips of the night practice, Linder stood out as the best offensive player, if not overall player, on the field. I was pausing to make sure I could account for every OL on every play which helps me study the play in the trenches, and I keep noticing Brandon doing everything, especially in the run game. He'll pull to make the key block to spring a RB, or you'll see him as the deepest OL downfield making a critical block to open up a huge run, and more. It's not that the other OLs are chopped liver, but you can tell that our Center is doubling as easily our best OL. I have a good feeling about this.

Also of note, the Joke is still horrid at LT with Beachum looking much better in pass protection. That said, the idea of Luke playing LG is slowly growing on me. He's somewhat raw at the spot and I still need to know if he can get low enough for leverage in short yardage situations, but aside from that he looks pretty good there. He has a knack of exploding off the line and taking out a defender. This just might be his calling with enough practice reps at the position.

Meanwhile, Bernadeau looks fine as well at the LG spot when Luke is playing LT primarily because you can tell he's technically sound. I don't feel like Beachum has that nasty G play in him for the run game so I'd guess he'll either win the LT spot or will be a backup OT.

Other notes...

While I still think Nic Jacobs is their 3rd TE because they can use another big blocker, he had a horrible play where he was flagged for offsides. His early start allowed him to get open downfield so Bortles threw to him, but he then dropped the perfect pass. Interestingly, there was another play where they needed a blocking TE, and they brought in Josh Wells for the role. TE Braeden Bowman made the catch on that particular play.

Ivory is going to fun to watch, and on defense the same goes for Ngakoue defensively.

Tyler Shatley as the backup C is garbage. Get him out of there and put him back at G. Bowanko is a much better C as the former starter, and even Bernadeau looks better at the spot.

Corey Grant continues to explode downfield virtually untouched every time he gets the ball. He's making the 3rd string defense look like kindergartners. I don't know what impresses me more... his speed or his vision. I'm ready to bet that he'll be the KR on the opening day roster barring injury. Any takers?

Brandon Allen already appears to have a better grasp of this offense than Chad Henne although he only had a few snaps.

Arrelious Benn made a couple nice catches and appears to be edging out Bryan Walters and Tony Washington for that coveted 5th WR spot.

It appears they like Jonas Gray as a short-yardage specialty back.

Man, I don't see Grant making the roster.

Quote:Man, I don't see Grant making the roster.

I think Jags02 actually is Grant
I love Linder.

Wait. Did I miss something? What about Friday's scrimmage?
Thanks Jags02,great write up! If Joekel plays guard will we keep an extra tackle(Wells) or wonder if we just have Joekel as the swing and then plug in Bernadeau or Bow or Shatley for his vacant guard spot
Quote: 

Corey Grant continues to explode downfield virtually untouched every time he gets the ball. He's making the 3rd string defense look like kindergartners. I don't know what impresses me more... his speed or his vision. I'm ready to bet that he'll be the KR on the opening day roster barring injury. Any takers?

With the continued devaluation of kick returns, Grant will have to beat out either Jonas Gray or Denard Robinson as a running back in order to make this roster. With Greene firmly entrenched as the punt returner, it doesn't make sense to keep Grant around solely as a kick returner. He has a chance to beat one of them out, but I'd still consider Robinson and Gray the favorites for the 3rd and 4th running back spots respectively.
Grant is not that good
Didnt Koyak have a TD on Gratz?
Yeah, I'm not very comfortable with proclamations about O-Line guys until they are "full-go." 

I feel great about Linder because he's already separated himself from the pack, but  all this analyzing pass protection and "nastiness"  during a half-padded practice just feels like an exercise in futility to me.

i don't understand how you could have come to some of these conclusions based off of bad angled, sometimes grainy videos.

Quote:Didnt Koyak have a TD on Gratz?

I wouldn't doubt it, I could score on Gratz.
I heard Bardnaue (spelling) might not make the team.
Quote:I heard Bardnaue (spelling) might not make the team.

[Image: B2c_DNIWCUAAv_Kyb.jpg]
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JagFanatic24" data-cid="778177" data-time="1470105362">
I heard Bardnaue (spelling) might not make the team.
[Image: B2c_DNIWCUAAv_Kyb.jpg]</blockquote>

Ha!!!!!

That was awesome! We can basically quote that movie in any situation on this board.

Dude, that was awesome. I laughed for real.
Quote:Ha!!!!!

That was awesome! We can basically quote that movie in any situation on this board.

Dude, that was awesome. I laughed for real.

Great movie. The funniest part about that scene is the fact that Lloyd actually says "Swan.. Swanson?" and still commences to use the wrong name.
Quote:I heard Bardnaue (spelling) might not make the team.

I've heard the same about Corey Grant, and I'll wager they both make it.

I don't mean to suggest Grant is strictly making the roster as the KR, but having him in that role is very suggestive that he's making the roster as a RB. The players shout out "aws" when they see him run, and I know the coaches are watching. He's the ultimate scat back making for the perfect change-of-pace from the shifty inside runners Ivory, Yeldon and Gray. DRob straight up doesn't have what Grant has as a RB, and for that matter, I even trust Grant's hands quite a bit more than I do DRob's.

He's fast so he's good.
We should sign Demps
Quote:He's fast so he's good.
I think Grant is more than just "fast". He got vision and he is shifty. Give this guy some running lane, few can catch up with him. Your sarcasm fell in the wrong place. I do like to see that Grant makes the roster.
Pages: 1 2 3