Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Can Bortles Reduce the Turnovers ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Blake had 16 interceptions and 8 Fumbles in 2016.

Honest question - is it possible for him cut this total in half ( similar level to Derek Carr ). ?
Honestly? I think interceptions will always be part of Bortles DNA as QB, kind of like how its always been part of Eli Mannings. The question is can Bortles limit them at crucial moments and outweigh them with his playmaking? 

51 career ints. More pick 6's than wins. Only 1 win with 300 yards passing. My answer would be no. But with a great RB, my answer is yes.

It would cut down on his throws. Simple math.
Two things about the turnovers:

1: The fumbles are largely the result of poor mechanics. If you drop the ball to your hip on every windup you're going to fumble a lot. Fix the windup, fix the fumbles.

2: The interceptions were largely the result of poor pre-snap reads that the defense took advantage of. Take those away and the interceptions will drop as well.

Other than that I think JackCity is correct; Bortles will probably always have a higher than average INT rate. Whether that is acceptable is entirely up to his ability to limit his turnovers on crucial points and compensate with touchdowns. 

Quote:Two things about the turnovers:

1: The fumbles are largely the result of poor mechanics. If you drop the ball to your hip on every windup you're going to fumble a lot. Fix the windup, fix the fumbles.

2: The interceptions were largely the result of poor pre-snap reads that the defense took advantage of. Take those away and the interceptions will drop as well.

Other than that I think JackCity is correct; Bortles will probably always have a higher than average INT rate. Whether that is acceptable is entirely up to his ability to limit his turnovers on crucial points and compensate with touchdowns. 

I don't know if it's because of the pre-snap reads or what, but it seemed like a lot of them were flat out stupid decisions. It's one thing to have a throw veer off a tad and get intercepted or to mis-judge the placement and have a pass cut off, but he'll make throws into heavy coverage that he has no business throwing. Maybe Brees can throw there, but not Bortles. If he just plays smarter he should cut his INTS in half.

I also agree that correcting his mechanics takes away at least a couple fumbles. Another thing that might help with the fumbles is to stay in the pocket more. I understand that his stats actually improve when he's making plays outside the pocket, however, I've noticed that when he's outside the pocket he loses his feel for the blindside rush and can be taken by surprise if somebody sneaks out behind him.

Quote:I don't know if it's because of the pre-snap reads or what, but it seemed like a lot of them were flat out stupid decisions. It's one thing to have a throw veer off a tad and get intercepted or to mis-judge the placement and have a pass cut off, but he'll make throws into heavy coverage that he has no business throwing. Maybe Brees can throw there, but not Bortles. If he just plays smarter he should cut his INTS in half.

I also agree that correcting his mechanics takes away at least a couple fumbles. Another thing that might help with the fumbles is to stay in the pocket more. I understand that his stats actually improve when he's making plays outside the pocket, however, I've noticed that when he's outside the pocket he loses his feel for the blindside rush and can be taken by surprise if somebody sneaks out behind him.

Ok, good comments as this gets closer to the root of my question - Can he be coached out of it ?

He's a gunslinger. I don't think single digit interception seasons are in the cards but if Brett Favre could cut down on his stupid interceptions some, there is hope for Bortles. 

Quote:51 career ints. More pick 6's than wins. Only 1 win with 300 yards passing. My answer would be no. But with a great RB, my answer is yes.

How is a RB going to have any effect on how well the OL run blocks?

We all know you want Fournette, which is why you brought up a RB in this thread, but Fournette isn't going to magically start making guys miss (he isn't that kind of RB to begin with) when they're in his face 3 yards behind the LoS.

Run Blocking was the issue last year and not so much due to RB problems. It's pretty obvious when two completely different style of RBs (Yeldon and Ivory) both struggled last year. The Run blocking was the main issue.

But onto the topic...

I feel Bortles is always going to throw INTs. That's just how he plays. What he needs to cut out of his game, is the untimely INTs. Ones that are early in games and at the end of halfs. When we're backed up at our own 20 yard line, or when they're on the opposing team's 20 yard line etc.

Those are the INTs that must be eliminated.
Quote:I don't know if it's because of the pre-snap reads or what, but it seemed like a lot of them were flat out stupid decisions. It's one thing to have a throw veer off a tad and get intercepted or to mis-judge the placement and have a pass cut off, but he'll make throws into heavy coverage that he has no business throwing. Maybe Brees can throw there, but not Bortles. If he just plays smarter he should cut his INTS in half.

Really? I recall a few bad decisions, but I think he could cut 10 turnovers off his total pretty easily. First up would be for ARob to stop tossing the ball to the DB instead of just catching it.

Second thing would be for the RBs and WRs to stop kicking the ball up in the air and just let it hit the ground.

After those 5 or 6 INTs are done away with if Bortles can tighten his delivery he should probably have about half as many fumbles and probably cut around INT or two off his total just by not telegraphing his throws with a windup.
You know that 5 yard out that seems to be intercepted for a pick six 50% of the time. Those are bad pre-snap reads and the defensive coaches know that so they tell their DB's to sit on those routes. Those are exactly the kind of reads Bortles needs to improve on (and which the OC needs to call less of).
Quote:Blake had 16 interceptions and 8 Fumbles in 2016.

Honest question - is it possible for him cut this total in half ( similar level to Derek Carr ). ?

Hackett will scheme to mitigate Bortles mistakes and it will mean fewer deep attempts, but enough intermediate stuff to keep defenses honest, plus a very healthy dose of high percentage stuff underneath and in the flats. 

Yes - he can reduce the turnovers. If he doesn't he's gone. 

They will reel in the whole "gunslinger" thing in 2017.  That doesn't have to be a bad thing. 
As long as we start consistently winning games because of Bortles, I'm good.    

Yes.

Quote:Blake had 16 interceptions and 8 Fumbles in 2016.

That's like asking if he can stop drinking!

But naww he can reduce it, if he stop drinking lol...

FA real tho, Bortles have a chance to be great when it's all said and done... He just have to commit to drinking water. Lol
Quote:51 career ints. More pick 6's than wins. Only 1 win with 300 yards passing. My answer would be no. But with a great RB, my answer is yes.

Only problem with that. Is he only managed 4 wins. When total rushing offense is over 150 yards per game.
Quote:That's like asking if he can stop drinking!

But naww he can reduce it, if he stop drinking lol...

FA real tho, Bortles have a chance to be great when it's all said and done... He just have to commit to drinking water. Lol

And yet, another intelligent Yo Boy post.
Sorry op, had to deal with a troll who's apparently allegeric to oxygen.

As others said he can cut down, but his style of play probably still creates 10 or more picks.
If we get a running game then yes.
Before we jump off the bridge how about some perspective.

Peyton Manning in his first three season threw for 12,287 yards, 85 TDs and 58 INTs.

Favre, who Bortles has sometimes been compared to, threw for 10,412 yards, 70 TDs and 51 INTs in his first three seasons as a starter.

By comparison, in his first three seasons Bortles has thrown for 11,241 yards, 69 TDs while throwing 51 INTs.

So, so far he's performing statistically almost exactly between Brett Farve and Peyton Manning.  And we're complaining he's a bust.  What can you say except, #onlyJagsFans?

No
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5