Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cyprien and The Joke Fixable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The Joke:  Just not strong enough.   Houston exposed him but truth be told he struggled a ton this year.  If you watch the games most of the issues comes from his lack of strength.  He can't handle good bull rushers.  Perhaps Gus should sneak some roids into his Ice cream.  He is just too soft

Cyprien:  The guys has a bag of rocks in his head.  In 2015 he was terrible against the run and pass.  He has shown pathetic instincts and always seems to pick the wrong angle.  A safety is supposed to be the last line of defense.  If we have to count on this guy for making a game saving tackle you better believe he is whiffing at air. 

Do you believe these two are fixable or lost causes that should be upgraded immediately?

My take?  The Joke needs to hit the weight room hard this offseason.  If he can improve his strength he could become a decent LT.

I believe Cyprien is a lost cause.  You either have the instincts or you don't.  Clearly this guy does not have it.

Yeah, I don't think Cyp is too smart football wise. Even in his interviews, he has like a glazed, happy-go-lucky, blissful ignorance type of attitude.

Am I off here?

Quote:Yeah, I don't think Cyp is too smart football wise. Even in his interviews, he has like a glazed, happy-go-lucky, blissful ignorance type of attitude.

Am I off here?
Nope I agree and normally wouldn't care about interview stuff but those "smarts" carry over on the field.
Quote:The Joke:  Just not strong enough.   Houston exposed him but truth be told he struggled a ton this year.  If you watch the games most of the issues comes from his lack of strength.  He can't handle good bull rushers.  Perhaps Gus should sneak some roids into his Ice cream.  He is just too soft

Cyprien:  The guys has a bag of rocks in his head.  In 2015 he was terrible against the run and pass.  He has shown pathetic instincts and always seems to pick the wrong angle.  A safety is supposed to be the last line of defense.  If we have to count on this guy for making a game saving tackle you better believe he is whiffing at air. 

Do you believe these two are fixable or lost causes that should be upgraded immediately?

My take?  The Joke needs to hit the weight room hard this offseason.  If he can improve his strength he could become a decent LT.

I believe Cyprien is a lost cause.  You either have the instincts or you don't.  Clearly this guy does not have it.

I would first try to fix all the other things that need fixing.   Joeckel and Cyprien at least have a chance at becoming good players, even if it is a small chance.   But there is no chance that we have the right free safety on this team, for example. 

So my take is, even if you think these guys need to be replaced, I would put my priority elsewhere, unless a better player just falls into our lap.  
Quote:I would first try to fix all the other things that need fixing.   Joeckel and Cyprien at least have a chance at becoming good players, even if it is a small chance.   But there is no chance that we have the right free safety on this team, for example. 

So my take is, even if you think these guys need to be replaced, I would put my priority elsewhere, unless a better player just falls into our lap.  
Caldwell said himself and I am paraphrasing but finding a good FS is harder than finding a Franchise QB.  Upgrade wherever we can.  We have the cash so upgrade every oppurtunity we can.
I don't think The Joke is broken. I just think he's not living up to the second pick.. I think he was way overvalued by the majority of the draft pundits and he's playing to his level. So basically, he's a mid-level backup and that's where he needs to stay.. But definitely not broken..
I feel like it would be difficult to fit a bag of rocks into one's head, but then again I've seen some pretty inordinate objects get crammed in the strangest of places before, so nothing would surprise me I suppose.
I think Cyprien is upgradeable, but is not a priority, and serviceable for now.  This past season was his 3rd in the NFL, and he should have displayed more improvement and impact to date in my opinion.  I think Sample is going to give him serious competition for the starting role this next season.

My eyes on gameday tell me Joeckel is not good, regardless of where he was selected in the draft.  Based on Caldwell's comments, it appears my eyes are wrong, he is better than I believe, and deserves another year.  However, playing armchair GM with a young QB to protect and holes to open, I would bring in a free agent vet to give him honest competition this year.  Although injury hampered his 1st season, I expected more improvement in this past 3rd season for him.   

Quote:Nope I agree and normally wouldn't care about interview stuff but those "smarts" carry over on the field.

So we need a safety with interview smarts to replace Cyp?
I think we will roll one more year with the Joke but I think we can get Cyp's replacement in this draft in Jeremy Cash, and for him to do what we drafted Cyp for.  I dont want 2 rookie safeties in the secondary so if we get our FS in FA and dont draft Ramsey I would love to trade back into the bottom of the 2nd if Jeremy Cash is still there.  I know we have Sample but Cash is a much better player imo and is the player at the SS spot we have been looking for.  A ton of college experience and excelled at the SS position in the ACC.   Cash is taylor made for what we want in our SS and would love it if we could some how get him in the draft.  Cash also won the ACC Defensive Player of the Year Award.  He was also a finalist for the Lott Impact Trophy, the Chuck Bednarik Award, and the Jim Thorpe Award while earning Consensus All-American Honors

I think it's more likely that Cyprien turns into an above average player than Joeckel at this point.  I think both are salvageable and both could be upgraded at the same time.  I would not get rid of either until you have a replacement because both are serviceable more often than not.  Cyprien will benefit A LOT from a consistent pass rush and a better FS with him.  Joeckel will benefit A LOT from having anyone but Beadles next to him.  
If I had to bet on one of the two it would be Joeckel.

They both have a chance.

Window closing quickly though...
Sounded like Wash has plans for Cyp.

Joeckel....has never impressed me but seems to have impressed Caldwell...so who knows.

Is Marrone going to be the O-line coach next year?

Yes.
They're like the Blaine Gabbert of Left Tackles and Safeties

Sample will take cyps job if the free safety spot gets filled
Joeckels problems is not strength. It is technique. It's stuff he should know how to do, which is why he is so frustrating.
Quote:So we need a safety with interview smarts to replace Cyp?
I think what I was applying was intelligence.  Cyprien could be a genius off the field but on the field he is forest gump. 
Quote:Sample will take cyps job if the free safety spot gets filled
There is no pun intended but I did not see enough of a "sample" of James Sample to make an opinion one way or the other. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4