Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars 2016 Free Agents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Who to keep... who to let walk...

UFAs

P Bryan Anger - We may have to use franchise tag at around $4.5 mil for the season

WR Bryan Walters - Hopefully the team's #3 WR re-signs early

TE Marcedes Lewis - The opportunity to play out his carreer with the Jaguars should make Lewis fairly easy to re-sign. Meester is the longest tenured Jaguar at 14 years. Next year would be Lewis' 11th season.

TE Clay Harbor - Underutilized this past year, Clay is a decent TE we should try to keep

C Stephen Wisniewski - We might let him test free agency since in a worst case scenario we still have Bowanko, and then look to re-sign cheap if Jaguars can't land a free agent center. Keep in mind that Wiz is still young at 26. Other options include Cards longtime starting Center Lyle Sendlein, age 31, and the Rams new starter this season, Tim Barnes. Browns Center Alex Mack is set to make $8 mil next year, however, he has an option to opt out and become a free agent should he feel he can do better. Given such slim pickings, allowing Wiz to test free agency is a tough call. These are the only starters hitting free agency.

OT Sam Young - The massive LT provides decent depth depth at tackle and has been active all season, however, he's going into his 7th season and the Jaguars have a younger, quicker LT coming off IR in Josh Wells. I see Caldwell making him a fair offer while letting him walk if he's looking for more.

RB Bernard Pierce - With the addition of Jonas Gray and knowing that Corey Grant is coming off IR, I don't see Caldwell going out of his way to re-sign Pierce. However, the RB might become more attractive should the Jaguars part with Gerhart and the $3.5 mil in new money that Gerhart is due if kept for 2016.

QB Chad Henne - Surely the Jaguars can do better for their money here. Brock Osweiler, Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniel, Drew Stanton, Michael Vick and Case Keenum are all set to hit free agency. 

DE Andre Branch - While Branch finally made a few impressive plays as of late, there is such a thing as too little, too late. Branch is simply not a good fit for Bradley's scheme, and I see Caldwell letting the former Gene Smith draft pick walk.

RFAs

Abry Jones - Jones is a must keep wherein he'll probably get a 2nd round tender worth about $2.5 mil.

Ryan Davis - Davis may be the team's best pass rushing DE after Fowler and might as well be worth a 2nd round tender.

Joplo Bartu - I don't see him getting a qualifying offer for an RFA, however, the team may be able to re-sign him for the veteran minimum which in his case would be $675,000.

ERFAs

Jonas Gray - I definitely see him getting a minimum offer of $600,000.

Nic Jacobs - He's shown flashes and probably has earned himself the same minimum offer.

what's the point of franchising Anger? Just resign him if you want.

Also Walters is not our #3. More like our #5 and that's if Arrelious Benn isn't around.

UFA's - Re-sign Harbor

RFA's - Tender Jones and Davis

ERFA's - Keep Jacobs
Anger - I'd never pay a punter 4.5 mill. Let him walk if that is what he can get on the open market.

Walters - I have no idea. He'll be the 5th receiver at best next year if Greene and Lee stay healthy. Quality depth though. What do you sign him to?

Henne - resign him. He is a quality back-up.

Harbor - I'm not sure. I'd resign him to something if you can.

Branch, Wiz, Young, Pierce, and Lewis can go.

I stopped at the idea of franchising the punter....
Quote:QB Chad Henne - Surely the Jaguars can do better for their money here. Brock Osweiler, Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniel, Drew Stanton, Michael Vick and Case Keenum are all set to hit free agency.
The Jets are resigning Fitzpatrick. The Redskins are resigning Cousins. The Broncos are resigning Osweiler. Maybe Bradford. Henne is better than all the other QBs on that list. And Bortles likes him. We might as well keep him.
Quote:Anger - I'd never pay a punter 4.5 mill. Let him walk if that is what he can get on the open market.

Walters - I have no idea. He'll be the 5th receiver at best next year if Greene and Lee stay healthy. Quality depth though. What do you sign him to?

Henne - resign him. He is a quality back-up.

Harbor - I'm not sure. I'd resign him to something if you can.

Branch, Wiz, Young, Pierce, and Lewis can go.

I always wonder where the "Henne is a quality backup" came from? Is it because hes old?
Quote:what's the point of franchising Anger? Just resign him if you want.

Also Walters is not our #3. More like our #5 and that's if Arrelious Benn isn't around.

Well sure if he accepts their offer. I was just thinking if he doesn't the tag is an option.

Then again, his cap hit this year was only $875,000. An offer around $1.5 mil per might be plenty.

Quote:I always wonder where the "Henne is a quality backup" came from? Is it because hes old?

I've always figured they either don't know what quality means, or have never watched him play. He is a backup, he cashes a check and fills a roster spot, I wouldn't suggest he does much more than that, which is the case for most teams. The Jaguars should let him test free agency and look for a late round project as their backup. If Bortles gets injured in the preseason they can look at veteran guys at that point if they're under the illusion they'd be able to get anywhere at all with a backup level QB running the offense.
Quote:Anger - I'd never pay a punter 4.5 mill. Let him walk if that is what he can get on the open market.
Agreed
Quote:I always wonder where the "Henne is a quality backup" came from? Is it because hes old?

I wonder the same.

Quote:The Jets are resigning Fitzpatrick. The Redskins are resigning Cousins. The Broncos are resigning Osweiler. Maybe Bradford. Henne is better than all the other QBs on that list. And Bortles likes him. We might as well keep him.

Chase Daniel is miles better than Henne. Drew Stanton and Case Keenum at least edge out Henne. Michael Vick might be a little questionable at this point, but I'd still take him over Henne.

If we use the franchise tag on Anger, I'll cry. Seriously 02, what are you smoking? He's not even a very good punter for (blank)'s sake. He either outkicks his coverage by ten yards or gets great hangtime on a 30-yard punt. There are better out there that will cost far less.

Walters has more value to the Jags than he does anyone else (and vice versa), but let's not forget that the guy is, at best, fifth on the depth chart going into training camp. Could sink even lower if we draft around him or sign a midrange FA. He's not worth much more than the minimum to the Jags, and I think he'll test the market as a result.

Let Lewis walk. Nic Jacobs offers just about everything he does at this point, but Jacobs is younger and cheaper.

Agreed on Harbor. He's a decent pass-catching tight end, and has played in the slot and at H-back during his career. Definitely a keeper if the price is right.

Wiz is not the answer at center, and I'd definitely be ok with him testing the market given that we have Bowanko around. If the Jags don't plan to address the position in FA or the early rounds of the draft. I'd almost rather we keep Bowanko and draft a center instead of giving Wiz a big contract or, God forbid, blowing a ton of money on a washed up Mack.

Young is awful. He pulled some kind of magic act for a couple of games there and looked not awful, but generally speaking, he's awful.

Pierce, eh, maybe, maybe not? Not an essential re-signing, but as long as he comes on the cheap and blocks for the right team, why not? I doubt he's on the 53-man at the start of next season, though.

Henne...did Chad Henne kick your dog or something? Did he pop a squat on your front porch then light it on fire? Your raging hate-on for him makes my dislike of 24-of-38 look downright rational at times. I'd love it if a guy like Chase Daniel found his way here, but if you think that any of Brock Osweiler, Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins or Ryan Fitzpatrick would ever sign up to be the backup in Jacksonville, or even sign for the salary Henne was pulling in, you've completely lost it.

Branch's light clicked on late in the year. I'd hate to see him go to another team and light it up, but I'm not sure that fear of success elsewhere is a good reason to open the checkbook for a guy who just isn't a fit for either defensive end position in your scheme.

Jones and Davis will probably sign one-year contracts with the Jaguars before the RFA period opens. Caldwell tends to do that with guys he wants to keep. Bartu may or may not stick around.

Gray and Jacobs are no-brainers to return to camp.

I'd like to keep Anger, Walter, Wisneski, Lewis ( Leadership ), Branch for depth I can see him in that Alualu role
ok.... I was had a brain fart when I suggesting tagging Anger.

At qb, I'd give Chase a call early. I'd just like to know that if Bortles goes down, the Jaguars still have a chance.

Quote:I've always figured they either don't know what quality means, or have never watched him play. He is a backup, he cashes a check and fills a roster spot, I wouldn't suggest he does much more than that, which is the case for most teams. The Jaguars should let him test free agency and look for a late round project as their backup. If Bortles gets injured in the preseason they can look at veteran guys at that point if they're under the illusion they'd be able to get anywhere at all with a backup level QB running the offense.

Yeah agree fully. Actually have no problem with Henne on the team for next year but I've seen Henne described as "one of the best backups in the league" or "a quality backup" far too many times without any reason behind it.
Literally all bums. Franchise a punter? Is that you Gene Smith?
Quote:ok.... I was had a brain [BAD WORD REMOVED] when I suggesting tagging Anger.

At qb, I'd give Chase a call early. I'd just like to know that if Bortles goes down, the Jaguars still have a chance.

I'd rather us just draft a mid round QB for development over everyone available at this point. Draft, develop, if he turns into a quality product then flip him for a pick or two.
Quote:ok.... I was had a brain [BAD WORD REMOVED] when I suggesting tagging Anger.

This is a must. We are putting all of our eggs in one basket with Bortles, and Daniels should have been given a call when he left N.O. Henne should have been replaced long ago.

It's also time to carry 3 QB's. We need to draft (round 3-4) and develop one. It's to critical of a position to ignore any longer.
From the Jags games I've seen in the last few seasons and for what I've read here and elsewhere,  the one player that stands out in this group that I would want to keep if in the Jags position is Ryan Davis.  Because of the team's salary cap situation,  using a 2nd Round Tender on him would be easy to accomplish,  if necessary.    Otherwise,  even if by remote chance the Jags didn't re-sign any of the other players,   I think the impact would be minimal,  based on the team's resources to find replacements.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4