Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2 Bold Predictions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
1) the Jaguars pick up Bortles 5th year option. 

2) We switch to a 3-4 Defense. It seems like the scheme fit that best aligns with the strengths of our best players in the front 7, and the best way to get the most talent on the field without having to rotate. This one's more of a stretch but if Yannick can rush standing up it makes a lot of sense.

LDE - Calais Campbell

NT - Abry Jones

RDE - Malik Jackson

LOLB - Dante Fowler

LILB - Myles Jack

RILB - Telvin Smith

ROLB - Yannick Ngakoue

it 

Quote:1) the Jaguars pick up Bortles 5th year option.

2) We switch to a 3-4 Defense. It seems like the scheme fit that best aligns with the strengths of our best players in the front 7, and the best way to get the most talent on the field without having to rotate. This one's more of a stretch but if Yannick can rush standing up it makes a lot of sense.

LDE - Calais Campbell

NT - Abry Jones

RDE - Malik Jackson

LOLB - Dante Fowler

LILB - Myles Jack

RILB - Telvin Smith

ROLB - Yannick Ngakoue

it
I agree on the 3-4. Have to wait and see how he plays this year for number 1
I really like our defense in a 4-3. I have concerns with Abry at nose and Smith at ILB.

If they make the switch then I will hope for success, but I think it will end with Telvin walking in FA next year.
Abry is worse as a 0 gap. Malik is worse as a 3-4 DE. Telvin and Myles are wastes of hyper athleticism as 3-4 ILBs. Calais and probably Yannick would be equally good in both. 

Not worth trying to salvage Fowler to hurt the rest of the front. 
From a purely performance standpoint, there's no reason to pick up the 5th year option on Blake. You could just tag him if he bounces back this year or even just ascends to mediocrity. If he's terrible, either walk away or offer him a market value contract to be a placeholder QB.

The only issue is that Linder, Lee, Telvin and ARob are all due to hit free agency in 2018. If they can't sign them all to long term contracts this year then there might be more than one player hitting free agency in 2018 that you might consider tagging. I don't think it's much of a risk that we wouldn't be able to extend Linder, Telvin and at least one of Lee or Robinson if not both. I feel like picking up Blake's 5th year $18 million+ guaranteed salary is too big a risk considering what we've seen from him so far. I think they'll pass and make him play for the contract this year and tag him if need be. Hopefully it won't cost us Lee or Robinson.

We have 5 key players playing for contracts this year though. Hopefully that will lead to some over achieving this year. It's all on Blake though. Make him earn it this year.
Quote:I agree on the 3-4. Have to wait and see how he plays this year for number 1

Deadline to pick up the 5th year option is in mid May. The decision will be made on his body of work to date which is probably why it won't get picked up.
I think it'll get picked up. As high as the going rate is on quarterbacks, if Blake has a better year it'll be a bargain. If he has another bad year, who cares, it's just funny money. Cut him or keep his as the backup and move on.
Quote:I think it'll get picked up. As high as the going rate is on quarterbacks, if Blake has a better year it'll be a bargain. If he has another bad year, who cares, it's just funny money. Cut him or keep his as the backup and move on.

Yeah, there's really no reason not to
Quote:Deadline to pick up the 5th year option is in mid May. The decision will be made on his body of work to date which is probably why it won't get picked up.
forgot about that. We will pick it up
I don't think we switch to a 3-4. I think we keep basically the same scheme with more 2 safety looks and more aggressive man coverage concepts. The personnel we have now fits what the scheme calls for perfectly in the front 7:

Ngakoue/Fowler/(Thomas)-Malik-Jones-Campbell

Poz-Jack-Telvin

Ngakoue is a better hands in the dirt rusher. Campbell will basically play the same role he played in Arizona as a 5-tech on 1st and 2nd downs and then moving inside to rush on third down.

Quote:I think it'll get picked up. As high as the going rate is on quarterbacks, if Blake has a better year it'll be a bargain. If he has another bad year, who cares, it's just funny money. Cut him or keep his as the backup and move on.

The 5th year option for Blake would be the average of the top 10 players at his position.  Definitely not a bargain, but it's only guaranteed for injury or if he's on the roster on the first day of the new league year..
Why would ya pick up an option for a qb that cant win more then 6 games?
Quote:Why would ya pick up an option for a qb that cant win more then 6 games?

I think Blake will be greatly improved this year. But if he's only average, it's still insurance for a year in case we don't land a guy in the draft or FA. If we pick it up and he still struggles, you can cut him or probably even trade him for a mid to late round pick.
What's the infatuation with the 3-4 every single year. It's not happening. It wouldn't magically change our performance in any way and on top of that, we are building a monster defense. Why mess with it?

And Telvin Smith is way too light to be a MLB in a 34.
Brand allen becomes jags starter after 4 games,and leads jags to 6 wins.

The Jaguars, if they're thinking straight, pretty much have to pick up Blake's 5th year option. Not because of Blake as much as because of Allen Robinson. If the Jaguars don't pick up Bortles' option and both of those guys have big years like it was in 2015 the team would essentially be screwed if both of them decided they want to leave, and that could happen. The 5th year option must be picked up to make sure the team doesn't have a situation where they need the franchise tag for two guys.

The team currently has the cap space for that kind of thing, they can't be foolish and think about things like posturing with Blake, just take the option and if he doesn't work out then he doesn't work out, but both of them having big years could easily happen, don't be in a position where either one of them sticks it to the team's front office.

Quote:Why would ya pick up an option for a qb that cant win more then 6 games?

Because there isn't anyone as good on this roster, the draft, or free agency.
Quote:What's the infatuation with the 3-4 every single year. It's not happening. It wouldn't magically change our performance in any way and on top of that, we are building a monster defense. Why mess with it?

It's a trendy conversation piece, especially if you specialize in 3T, 5T,1T, Big End, LEO lingo. I remember simpler days of tackles n ends, when they actually played ball in Jag Land. Here's hoping we at least get back to a regular football team in spite of schemes.
Quote:What's the infatuation with the 3-4 every single year. It's not happening. It wouldn't magically change our performance in any way and on top of that, we are building a monster defense. Why mess with it?

I like the 3-4 but totally agree this is not the unit built for it.  

1st off A. Jones is not a plugger,

2nd as you noted above, Telvin is too light at MLB plus this would take away his strength (speed & instincts),

3rd Coughlin won 2 SBs with a 4-3 and not having to manufacture pass rush by blitzing and other stunts.

My vision of a 3-4 is a plugger nose tackle (Casey Hampton or H. Ngota) and Ray Lewis in the middle 
Quote:From a purely performance standpoint, there's no reason to pick up the 5th year option on Blake. You could just tag him if he bounces back this year or even just ascends to mediocrity. If he's terrible, either walk away or offer him a market value contract to be a placeholder QB.

The only issue is that Linder, Lee, Telvin and ARob are all due to hit free agency in 2018. If they can't sign them all to long term contracts this year then there might be more than one player hitting free agency in 2018 that you might consider tagging. I don't think it's much of a risk that we wouldn't be able to extend Linder, Telvin and at least one of Lee or Robinson if not both. I feel like picking up Blake's 5th year $18 million+ guaranteed salary is too big a risk considering what we've seen from him so far. I think they'll pass and make him play for the contract this year and tag him if need be. Hopefully it won't cost us Lee or Robinson.

We have 5 key players playing for contracts this year though. Hopefully that will lead to some over achieving this year. It's all on Blake though. Make him earn it this year.

$18 million for the 5th year or $24 million for the tag... Makes more sense to pick it up. It's only guaranteed of he gets injured.
Pages: 1 2 3