Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Our core players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Bortles- He broke the TD record and is still setting the record with 3 to go. He is a big arm QB and he is only in his 2nd year. He is the face of this team.

Yeldon- He can break down the defender and get those extra 3 or 4 yards when you think the play is over. Once Linder comes back I think he gets 1K on a regular basis. 3 down back.

Thomas- Showed that he is a key element to our offense. He scored in 4 straight games and counting. He takes the pressure off the Allen Brothers.

Hurns- He just simply makes plays and he plays hurt. He was there for us last season before we new about Robinson. And now he is a big play WR.

Robinson -We were worried for the longest time if Blackmon would come back. Well Robinson made that thought go away. Robinson is on his way to the ProBowl and a top 5 WRIGHT in most circles.

Dennard- He has break away speed and can hit a home run at any time. He fills in nicely behind Yeldon.

Joeckel- He had a rough preseason but has quickly turned it around. He is playing good enough to keep us quiet and I'll take that. He is keeping Bortles upright.

Cann- he is a mauler. He finishes strong and creates passing lanes better than any lineman right now. Great value pick. We found our LG.

Linder- Some say he's the best player on the team. Can't wait to get him back. Our running game will take off.

Parnell- I think he struggles in pass pro but strong in run blocking. He was ranked 8th at one time.

Greene- Wow....this guy is a monster on special teams. He is fearless when he catches punts and will crease teams if they miss a lane assignment. He is good across the middle. 5th rounder is crazy.

Lee- can't wait to get a full 16 games from him. When a player of his caliber is the 3rd wide out then that means you have beasts for receivers.

This is our offense for the next 5 years. Hurns is going to make a ton of money in the offseason. He deserves every penny. But just look at all this talent on the offense. All we lack is a quality center and this offense could explode once we get Linder back.
Now for the defense's core players

I have to start off with the captain...the monster and beast of em all...

Telvin "Tackle" Smith - Some he lacks in zone coverage...so what. He makes up for it in every other aspect. He is practically in on every play. He wrecks plays.

Donte Fowler- I know he hasn't played yet but he is one of our core players. He could be another game wrecker next season. He need a pass rush badly. It will feel like we have 2 first round picks next year because he will be back and hopefully tearing it up.

Marks- I know he is in his late 20s but he was playing at a high level last year. He didn't have a chance this year but next year he will be back and will help that line. Probably not a core player but just as important as any defensive player.

Alualu- just kidding

House - He has earned his paycheck with the exception of Hopkins bullying him. He has 18 deflections which is very Mathis like back in his prime. He is a solid CB2.

Cyp- He has improved more than any player on defense. He is a hard hitting safety that lacks range and angles. But he has the ability to change a game on a single hit. Like he did up in NY.

So as it stands truly we only have a few core players on defense...

Fowler hasn't even played yet.

Smith is our main guy on defense

Cyp is still finding his way

Marks is getting older

House is not a true #1

Poz is getting older

So really we only have 3 core players on defense.

I hope we draft a CB in round 1. A FS in round 2 or sign a FA. LB in round 3 or sign a FA.

And hopefully sign a FA defensive end to couple with Fowler.

Once we go through the draft process and sign some big name Free agents, we need to secure the Kicker position.

This team will be ready to take over the AFC South division and contend for the playoffs for the next 10 years.
I think the offense is done. Maybe a fullback added just for the versatility (cut Pierce/Gerhart). With Linder coming back, the line should function better. Wiz ain't good, but he's serviceable. But we will be better. Same offense and OC, another year of experience for Hurns, Lee, and Robinson, and another offseason for Bortles to fine tune his footwork and mechanics. Chemistry will show next year.

The defense on paper feels like it should work. But obviously it doesn't. With Marks and Fowler coming back, help on the line is on the way. But we need to dedicate our offseason to the defense. Draft and free agency both to the defense. The offense will take that natural step, but the defense needs a launching pad. If we have playoff aspirations, we need to find someway to be competent affecting the quarterback
Quote:I think the offense is done. Maybe a fullback added just for the versatility (cut Pierce/Gerhart). With Linder coming back, the line should function better. Wiz ain't good, but he's serviceable. But we will be better. Same offense and OC, another year of experience for Hurns, Lee, and Robinson, and another offseason for Bortles to fine tune his footwork and mechanics. Chemistry will show next year.

The defense on paper feels like it should work. But obviously it doesn't. With Marks and Fowler coming back, help on the line is on the way. But we need to dedicate our offseason to the defense. Draft and free agency both to the defense. The offense will take that natural step, but the defense needs a launching pad. If we have playoff aspirations, we need to find someway to be competent affecting the quarterback

... and covering the tight end.  Wouldn't it be great to have another LB like Telvin Smith, by which I mean, not so much undersized, but faster than Poz.   Even if the new guy doesn't start over Poz, he can substitute in 3rd down situations.  

Yeldon misses too many cutback lanes. He also goes down pretty easy too often

Still think he's decent
Quote:Yeldon misses too many cutback lanes. He also goes down pretty easy too often

Still think he's decent

No he don't.
We have 12 core players on offense. That's just crazy.

We only have 4 on defense. We need at least 2 more.

In my opinion, Fowler is going to be a game wrecker and break all kinds of Jaguars records for sacks, pressures, etc.
How is Lee listed as a "core" player?

Quote:Yeldon...  He also goes down pretty easy too often

[Image: 5v830i.jpg]

This ^  -  While playing through two separate injuries.  Goes down easy... Pffffffttt.  Watch a game sometime. 
Quote:Yeldon misses too many cutback lanes. He also goes down pretty easy too often

Still think he's decent

Another hot take from the rocdee.
Quote:[Image: 5v830i.jpg]

This ^ - While playing through two separate injuries. Goes down easy... Pffffffttt. Watch a game sometime.

Thanks you for posting this. As you can see in this clip, Yeldon went way too easy. And missed a cut back lane.

But he is decent.
Quote:Thanks you for posting this. As you can see in this clip, Yeldon went way too easy. And missed a cut back lane.

But he is decent.

Was it the DB's helmet literally bouncing off the turf while Yeldon kept running that gave it away?

:teehee:
Quote:How is Lee listed as a "core" player?

Because he has the talent to be a starter on just about any team in the NFL. He has blazing speed and he is young.

I know where you're going with this. But injuries happen.

When Lee is your 3rd option at WR, that means you have a great set of receivers.

He is definitely a core player.
Quote:Was it the DB's helmet literally bouncing off the turf while Yeldon kept running that gave it away?

:teehee:

Yep. We should cut him. He's too decent.
You guys are way too sensitive. No one can make any type of critique of a player without some guy playing the "gotcha" game.

like I said, Yeldon kisses too many cutback lanes, and he goes down to easily because of how he "pitty-patters" his feet. Those short, choppy steps makes for easy shoestring tackles.

But thanks for the one .gif
Since you want to resort to clips.

Let me see why this doesn't count

https://youtu.be/-QilCthaVDw
Quote:Since you want to resort to clips.

Let me see why this doesn't count

https://youtu.be/-QilCthaVDw
It doesn't count because he was in COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughable. 
I knew it. Haha. Guess what, all qualities are scratched when they leave college.

In other words, when a guy is easily tackled at a lower level, then when he gets to the higher level, he'll all of a sudden be able to be a tackle breaking beast

Awesome logic, bro! I'm sold!
Quote:I knew it. Haha. Guess what, all qualities are scratched when they leave college.

In other words, when a guy is easily tackled at a lower level, then when he gets to the higher level, he'll all of a sudden be able to be a tackle breaking beast

Awesome logic, bro! I'm sold!

C mon bro we're talking pros not college
Quote:Because he has the talent to be a starter on just about any team in the NFL. He has blazing speed and he is young.

I know where you're going with this. But injuries happen.

When Lee is your 3rd option at WR, that means you have a great set of receivers.

He is definitely a core player.

Lee hasn't done nearly enough to be considered a core. He's oft-injured, runs inconsistent routes, and has bad hands/ball skills. 

I would put Greene and Walters ahead of him right now. Does he have a chance? Yes, he does. But he's far from a "core". 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5