Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 7-8 will still be a successful season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am not holding out hope or even considering the possibility of the Playoffs (way to many things need to happen) but, if they can finish the season with 7 wins that is a huge step forward. IMO anything less is a failure. This team has a ton of talent on offense. If they Jags can shore up the defense we will be a powerhouse for years to come. Go Jags!!

Since when has the NFL had a 15-game season? LOL We have three games left.

2 more wins would be phenomenal.  Winning out would be fantastic.  We're pretty much at the point where we're meeting or exceeding expectations for 2015.  Caldwell said that when the team finally turned the corner, it would be easy to see, and it would happen quickly.  He was right.  Whether we make the playoffs or not this year is out of the Jags hands.  But, setting the right trajectory for the future is important.  The team is showing strides as we enter the final few games, and that means the expectations moving forward are going to be far higher than just getting better.

I remember a lot of people at the beginning of the season saying they'd be ecstatic with a 7-8 win season. Well here ya go.
7-9 will be progress...

8-8 will be better

My bar was way way lower.  I just wanted to see a future on offense.  Mission accomplished.

This will likely be a season where we look back and think about what might have been with the early season failure to close out the clots on the road and several other instances.  We could be tied for first place right now if only Myers had hit one of those three kicks.

We have an offense that has developed into a group that can score and can score quickly.  That alone allows you to compete and beat a lot of teams in this league, despite the defensive woes.  I think at this moment we're the best team in the AFC South but we likely won't get a chance to represent the division in the playoffs.  But stranger things have happened in the final weeks of the season.

I'll take 6 wins, as that was my expectation in preseason. However, this team has the talent to win out. They also lack the experience to expect winning out. Should be fun to see where that 6th win happens.
Are the meaningless wins worth the chance at a top draft pick?

Quote:Are the meaningless wins worth the chance at a top draft pick?

Right on schedule

Wins trump draft status every day and twice on Sunday.

Picking high guarantees nothing.

These wins are also far from "meaningless" to this young roster.

But, troll on....
Lol

You my friend, are a loser.
Don't think we need a top pick anymore. It's time to win. We have had enough top picks.

Plus there is great value in the mid to late first.
Quote:Don't think we need a top pick anymore. It's time to win. We have had enough top picks.

Plus there is great value in the mid to late first.
Jaylon Smith comes to mind or someone who is projected to go high falls. Basically what the Ravens do every single year.
I'm not trying to troll, I'm just thinking about draft history. Remember the game the Colts lost to the Jags that solidified their rights to the top pick where they selected Luck over RG3? If they had stolen a meaningless win there, the entire makeup of their franchise changes and they miss out on a generational prospect. What good do the wins do for a team that outweighs the value of getting a potentially generational prospect? I understand that good players can be found at every spot, but the likelihood decreases the farther you get from the top. Moral victories don't seem to be worth much in sports.

Quote:I'm not trying to troll, I'm just thinking about draft history. Remember the game the Colts lost to the Jags that solidified their rights to the top pick where they selected Luck over RG3? If they had stolen a meaningless win there, the entire makeup of their franchise changes and they miss out on a generational prospect. What good do the wins do for a team that outweighs the value of getting a potentially generational prospect? I understand that good players can be found at every spot, but the likelihood decreases the farther you get from the top. Moral victories don't seem to be worth much in sports.
There is no Luck in this draft. There is no consensus #1 pick.

So it doesn't really matter at this point. Let's win out and make the playoffs dude.
are they meaningless games if we end up as division champs?

hmm.. why should anyone play out the rest of the schedule, it is obvious that the Panthers are going 19-0

Quote:There is no Luck in this draft. There is no consensus #1 pick.

So it doesn't really matter at this point. Let's win out and make the playoffs dude.

But there are pretty unanimous studs in the top 8 or so --Bosa, Tunsil, Stanley, Ramsey, VH3, Nlkemdiche, J. Smith. All of these have all pro potential and would fill major needs for the Jags. The Jags aren't seriously competing for anything this year, and the wins only push them farther away from such prospects. Its not about having the #1 pick.
Quote:are they meaningless games if we end up as division champs?

hmm.. why should anyone play out the rest of the schedule, it is obvious that the Panthers are going 19-0

I think that would be even worse for the team. As of now, they have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL with severe talent deficiencies at many positions. If they made the playoffs, not only would they get steamrolled by a competent team, they would also fall towards the end of the first round. Then next year, when players are further developed and they might have a more reasonable chance to compete for the playoffs, they get a harder schedule playing division winners. I just don't see how winning here benefits them besides some fleeting notion of 'confidence'. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4