Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So all that talk of Yeldon being a first round talent wasn't fluff?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
After the draft it was said that many teams were looking at taking Yeldon at the end of the first and that he was being underrated by the media and he was pretty much the consensus 3rd back in the draft. Internet draftniks and the media had guys like Abdullah, Ajayi, Duke Johnson, Coleman, etc all rated above him. Well Yeldon is looking like the second best back out of that draft, Coleman notwithstanding due to playing behind Freeman. He is an every down back that is great in pass pro and our run game immediately went to the toilet when he was out. This line is not spectacular at all and he just ran on the 4th ranked run defense for 115 yards at 5.8 ypc a clip and should have been 2 TDs. He also looks like he could be a factor in the passing game if they gave him a chance. Only Gurley looks like a better back and he is pretty much playing like the second coming of Herschel Walker. Dave may have gotten another one. I just want to give credit because I think most of us were skeptical of the pick to say the least. 

def a great pick

I was extremely skeptical, and if current results continue, I was extremely wrong.

I really like Yeldon, I just wished we had a better run blocking Oline, the guy could be an immense weapon for the time with better blocking.

And Ryan O'Halloran reported that Yeldon had terrible flu, got meds yesterday and today and Yeldon himself said he didn't even think he could play yesterday. Great job by the kid!

Quote:I really like Yeldon, I just wished we had a better run blocking Oline, the guy could be an immense weapon for the time with better blocking.

And Ryan O'Halloran reported that Yeldon had terrible flu, got meds yesterday and today and Yeldon himself said he didn't even think he could play yesterday. Great job by the kid!
He has heart. Coming from Bama and the pedigree he has I wasn't sure he would want to play or give his all for a perineal toilet team like us but he is giving us 110% great guy. He has the want.
Quote:He has heart. Coming from Bama and the pedigree he has I wasn't sure he would want to play or give his all for a perineal toilet team like us but he is giving us 110% great guy. He has the want.

He has that and he seems a very smart and complete player, he understands the game. Great pass protection and a complete player in addition to those great moves, quick feet and shiftiness he has. 

Definitely hope that next year the OL (especially the left side) gets better with a couple of additions and the run blocking improves and considering how well we are doing at WRs we could have a complete offense.
I knew he would be a good one. Saban builds them right. Really impressed with his ball security.
Looks like a great pick by Dave and a long term fixture in the backfield and end zone. 

"Our running game went in the toilet when he was out"

That doesn't mean a whole lot when his replacements were Gerhart and Alualu. BE SERIOUS.

He had one decent game and he is now this special talent. Robinson might have had the same yardage. Robinson has had similar games..

Yeldon didn't catch any passes and look like a nightmare in open space to tackle. He looked good, not taking anything away from him, but maybe we should wait for 3 or 4 really great games, not one average game, to proclaim backfield issues solved.

He is still light in frame, thin thighs, thin arms, and he doesn't break tackles consistently. At bama they opened holes, obvious big holes and he is shifty and could exploit those holes. Now he has a tiny gap and he has to break arm tackles nearly every running play on those rapidly closing holes. He might get good at it. He might be average. We can't tell much from one decent game.This fanbase is so desperate to have a weapon spot filled it's jumping on the slightest indication of talent.

We should know by the end of the year.

Pretty much anyone who thought the Yeldon pick was a bad one has so far been proven a fool.
He does everything well. Hopefully the buffoons coaching this team start giving him the ball in short yardage as well. Make him our work horse.
What is exciting about Bell... I mean Yeldon is that once the O-line even becomes "decent", the sky is the limit.

Quote:"Our running game went in the toilet when he was out"

That doesn't mean a whole lot when his replacements were Gerhart and Alualu. BE SERIOUS.

He had one decent game and he is now this special talent. Robinson might have had the same yardage. Robinson has had similar games..

Yeldon didn't catch any passes and look like a nightmare in open space to tackle. He looked good, not taking anything away from him, but maybe we should wait for 3 or 4 really great games, not one average game, to proclaim backfield issues solved.

He is still light in frame, thin thighs, thin arms, and he doesn't break tackles consistently. At bama they opened holes, obvious big holes and he is shifty and could exploit those holes. Now he has a tiny gap and he has to break arm tackles nearly every running play on those rapidly closing holes. He might get good at it. He might be average. We can't tell much from one decent game.This fanbase is so desperate to have a weapon spot filled it's jumping on the slightest indication of talent.

We should know by the end of the year.
Denard didn't do squat last week. You act like he did not play last week, or you didn't know.

Alabama's offensive line last year was not some all world line. This line of thought is so tired and overrated. You could say the same thing about Gurley behind Georgia's line. Robinson is not getting the yards Yeldon is and that was proven last week. He's not strong enough, crafty enough, does not have the same kind of natural patience and feet. Yeldon is a pure running back. Denard isn't.
The patience he showed on that big run was great for the young rookie!

Why on earth didnt gus call for him on the goalline instead of Toby all four times, I might never know the answer to that....

hell TE Lewis couldve gotten in or Bortles from the one.. but not the so called tough runner Slowby..

Quote:Denard didn't do squat last week. You act like he did not play last week, or you didn't know.

Alabama's offensive line last year was not some all world line. This line of thought is so tired and overrated. You could say the same thing about Gurley behind Georgia's line. Robinson is not getting the yards Yeldon is and that was proven last week. He's not strong enough, crafty enough, does not have the same kind of natural patience and feet. Yeldon is a pure running back. Denard isn't.
My point was NOT that Denard is better at RB. My point was BOTH players might not be the long term answer, meaning a back for the next 4 years.. Before this game Yeldon had shown nothing special. You can't take one 100 yard game and declare Yeldon is anything special. He didn't show yesterday he is great out of the backfield catching passes, he has never shown he can take a dump off pass and make two people miss. He has never taken off on a 50 yard run once he made one man miss. So my point is don't get overexcited about one game. If he does it again, and again, and against a playoff team he might be the answer. Truthfully neither Robinson or Yeldon seem all that great a back at this point. Denard got his chance and is average. Yeldon may be exactly the same, a serviceable running back, which isn't all bad. It's better than Gerhart. Our bar is set pretty low here.

I like Yeldon would have rather had Gurley, but he was a good pick!
I like what i saw
Quote:My point was NOT that Denard is better at RB. My point was BOTH players might not be the long term answer, meaning a back for the next 4 years.. Before this game Yeldon had shown nothing special. You can't take one 100 yard game and declare Yeldon is anything special. He didn't show yesterday he is great out of the backfield catching passes, he has never shown he can take a dump off pass and make two people miss. He has never taken off on a 50 yard run once he made one man miss. So my point is don't get overexcited about one game. If he does it again, and again, and against a playoff team he might be the answer. Truthfully neither Robinson or Yeldon seem all that great a back at this point. Denard got his chance and is average. Yeldon may be exactly the same, a serviceable running back, which isn't all bad. It's better than Gerhart. Our bar is set pretty low here.

You don't get it. Yeldon is a hellalot better than Robinson.
Quote:I like Yeldon would have rather had Gurley, but he was a good pick!
Of course we would rather have Gurley lol

Dude is top 3 RB already and he's only played in like 3 games.
Quote:You don't get it. Yeldon is a hellalot better than Robinson.
YOU don't get it. Saying Yeldon is better than Robinson means NOTHING in the big picture.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6