Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thank God we drafted Bortles tbh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Even if he never gets any better than he is right now (unlikely, he's getting better every game right now) and just remains average to pretty good, we are still far better off than if we didn't take him. Looking at the upcoming draft and drafts in the future,  there are no sure fire QB prospects. Hackenberg, Cook, and Cardale all look trash and even Goff isn't a sure fire home run and that's the best you can say about next year's class. The 2017 class looks even worse. Maybe Brad Kaaya is okay. Josh Rosen and Kyle Allen might be the only legit QB prospects for the next while and with Allen you have to be terrified by that TAM offense that doesn't prepare them for the pros at all.

With Bortles we got a QB with a size (6'5'' 245lbs) and athletic combination that only Cam, Big Ben, and Luck have in the league, played in a prostyle offense at UCF, and is a clear leader with a good head on his shoulders and not a premodonna like an RGIII. He is doing really well for a second year QB all things considered and he's taken a massive jump from years one to two. If we can get a real O-Line in front of him and Yeldon he will be good, potentially great, for many years. Count our blessings. 

Gus Bradley
I think Bridgewater is better but I am biased, and I prayed that Jags skip him, so we don't have that issue to deal with amongst many in Jacksonville,.

Quote:I think Bridgewater is better but I am biased, and I prayed that Jags skip him, so we don't have that issue to deal with amongst many in Jacksonville,.
Bridgewater is good, but he is also in a system that maximizes his efficiency and doesn't ask him to do much. Bortles has 5x as many TDs as Bridgewater with only 2 more INTs and over 500 more yards with only one more game played.
Ok. You say he has better coaching and twice as many wins in 1 less game?
Give me Bortles all day over Teddy.. Screw Teddy Drummond..
Quote:Bridgewater is good, but he is also in a system that maximizes his efficiency and doesn't ask him to do much. Bortles has 5x as many TDs as Bridgewater with only 2 more INTs and over 500 more yards with only one more game played.

When you have Adrian Peterson the QB just needs to manage the game and not make stupid mistakes.  Bridgewater plays smart and accurate throwing short.  He has nowhere near the arm Blake has.  At 20/40+ Blake has 18/5, Bridgewater has 7/1.
If you're looking at the stat sheet alone, sure. But he still finds ways to make horrible, back breaking turnovers
Quote:If you're looking at the stat sheet alone, sure. But he still finds ways to make horrible, back breaking turnovers

He's got four picks which is right in the middle of QBs. That's not back breaking turnovers.
Quote:He's got four picks which is right in the middle of QBs. That's not back breaking turnovers.

Every one of those picks came at a horrible time. Quality over quantity my friend
Quote:Every one of those picks came at a horrible time. Quality over quantity my friend

Matt Stafford has eight. Were some of his picks at good times?
I'll take the smarts and 0.5, Rooster. If Okay. Does Tom throw really far often or do those boys block like heck for yac?
Bortles is clearly exceling right now. He's cutback on the turnovers. He's getting better at his reads and finding the right targets. It's offensive lineman that keep letting us down. He was sacked five or six times yesterday. They weren't creating any running lanes to get Yeldon going to take some pressure off the passing game either. Defensively this team is ugly. Bradley and Babich need to get it sorted out. My biggest fear now, is that, we'll fire Bradley, and out goes Olson as our coordinator and then in year three Bortles is yet again learning a new offense, etc. Could hinder or help him. I am not sure. He seems to have picked-up this offense fairly well. And he put the time in during the off season out West and it's clearly showed up for him in his play. It's just a shame we can't get it done in other areas.

Would you hope for Bortles to 'develop' like Stafford, Chukd?

The Lions' Stafford that is. And all his team represents the past half a decade.
Quote:Bortles is clearly exceling right now. He's cutback on the turnovers. He's getting better at his reads and finding the right targets. It's offensive lineman that keep letting us down. He was sacked five or six times yesterday. They weren't creating any running lanes to get Yeldon going to take some pressure off the passing game either. Defensively this team is ugly. Bradley and Babich need to get it sorted out. My biggest fear now, is that, we'll fire Bradley, and out goes Olson as our coordinator and then in year three Bortles is yet again learning a new offense, etc. Could hinder or help him. I am not sure. He seems to have picked-up this offense fairly well. And he put the time in during the off season out West and it's clearly showed up for him in his play. It's just a shame we can't get it done in other areas.
That is my concern as well. We have at the very least develop Bortles to be an ascending star this year for which we need Olson to stay for which we have to keep Gus. 

Gus NEEDS TO BE THE COACH TILL YEAR END (at the very least). I know the fans are angry with the defeats, I am sure if this trend(offense finding an identity) continues we will pull some good wins late in the season. The sentiments would change then. Those who were seeking Gus's head will go mute. 

Enjoy it while it lasts, I'm sure Bortles is counting the days to free agency. He will ditch this dumpster fire the first opportunity he gets. It's his dream to play for an actual NFL team, but unfortunately he was drafted by the Jags.
Quote:Enjoy it while it lasts, I'm sure Bortles is counting the days to free agency. He will ditch this dumpster fire the first opportunity he gets. It's his dream to play for an actual NFL team, but unfortunately he was drafted by the Jags.
this is not the nba dude.
Quote:Enjoy it while it lasts, I'm sure Bortles is counting the days to free agency. He will ditch this dumpster fire the first opportunity he gets. It's his dream to

play for an actual NFL team, but unfortunately he was drafted by the Jags.

With the franchise tag,he'd never make it to free agency
Quote:With the franchise tag,he'd never make it to free agency

He doesn't have to sign it. He is better off retiring than playing for the crappy Jags. It's like the 90's Bengals only worse. He has no future here.
not to mention you're talking about something that is not even possible until after 2018.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5