Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: General Manager Dave Caldwell on the hot seat with Gus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I wonder if GM Dave Caldwell is fired should the Jaguars simply look within and promote <span>Director of Player Personnel Chris Polian?</span>

He was the former GM of the Colts, and had interviewed for the Eagles GM job right before being promoted to Director of Player Personnel in May.

He didn't get the job but it shows interest still exist for him as a GM, and if you look at his resume it is worth the owners time considering him for the position should he fire Dave Caldwell.

What do you think about Chris Polian as the new GM in the event that Dave is fired this year?

I think Caldwell has done a nice job. He can't help the injuries and he can't help that Gus isn't getting the most out of these players.
Omg no to Chris Polian!

Holy crap lets not go from the frying pan into the fryer. yes I think Caldwell is Doing a bad job but there's time to turn it around. Caldwell made two massive mistakes the first was thinking he could blow a roster up and turn it around writhin 3-4 years. The second is trying to draft and build a roster from scratch to fit a scheme instead of just taking the best talent we can get and building a scheme around the talent.

Thin about the first year we had somewhere around 38 out of 53 on the roster as new personnel. We only had 7 draft picks the rest are either free agents, UDFA or waiver wire pick ups. By year two it was over 40 something player where fresh faces. In year 3 the entire team is new, so no wonder we lack so much talent you have a team complied of 21-23 draft picks ( some of which are complete busts others late rounders not even on the team) maybe 8-10 major free agent acquisitions ( some are just complete whiffs hello Toby) and the rest is UDFA or waiver wire pick ups. Even if we hit 100% on draft picks and free agents half the team would still be bottom feeders we hoped to plug in and go. Just pure arrogance to think he could bat 100%

Then you can question his ability to evaluate talent, for so many of his draft picks to struggle this early I dunno he's not who we thought he was that's for sure.

If we bring someone new in it has to be someone that isn't going to blow the damn roster up again.
Deep Thoughts...by Jack Handey

I would say no, Caldwell is not on the hot seat and should not be on the hot seat.   I think he's done a pretty good job managing the personnel and the salary cap.  

This is a very young team that has been riddled with injuries.   We have some really good players who are not on the field right now, and we also have loads of cap room for next offseason.   I think we're in pretty good shape going forward.  

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse this gem appears.
Keep Caldwell. Replace the coach. We have the talent. Just needs better direction in my opinion. And NO to Chris Polian.

You seriously want to replace Caldwell with Polian? lol
I don't see why we'd fire Caldwell.  His first draft was meh, but so were a lot of teams that year (it was just a draft without much talent).  He's improved on every draft.  It isn't his fault we aren't winning.

You can say whatever you want, but Caldwell is atleast sticking to his philosophy.  Unlike GeneSmith who trades up his draft picks after getting infactuated with some really medicore/character players (Derek Cox, Blaine Gabbert, Justin Blackmon) conflicting his philosophy of building through the draft, Caldwell on the other hand is sticking to his philosophy and hasn't done a bad job in drafting (I would argue he has done a good job in drafting).  Also he has earned more draft picks my trading the player that doesn't fit our team/found alternate replacements (Gabbert, Monroe, Scobee). So Caldwell atleast deserves the benefit of doubt, even though I feel he is getting closer.  Again I felt the same when Gene Smith was picking players until I realized the obvious.  Another thing I am impressed with Caldwell is that he is showing traits of a good GM, be patient and draft Marqise Lee (under the situation with all the hype at that time), work on the draft board to maneovar and get A-Rob without giving too much those are great skills a GM should possess.  Also he found a way to get a 6th rounder for Gabbert only because of his relationship with 49Ers GM. Sometimes you need good relationship within the NFL fraternity so a team that has high number of draft picks and talented roster which 49ers had at that time can trade for a player who has absolutely no value otherwise.  We have to be patient with Caldwell and let him do his job than seeking for his head. There are not very many good GMs in the league and in my honest opinion we got a good one who is learning as well and has a chance to be even better. 

Caldwell so far hit more than a base run on the below picks: Hurns, Telvin , A Rob, D Mac (Considering where has was drafted). Apart from that I hope he has hit a home run on Bortles & Dante Fowler Jr.  Drafting Blake Bortles tells me that Caldwell has the conviction to make a GM.  Bortles  is a good player so far and has a chance to be a really good one (Top-10) and no body at the time of draft thought Bortles would be picked 3rd and Bortles in my view is a franchise QB. The only player that was better than Bortles was Odell Beckem Jr. The rest of players are at the same level or less as Bortles.  

Overall I think we should keep Caldwell atleast till his contract expires which I believe is till next year if not later. 

Dave Caldwell has done a good job.  And I'm pretty sure Chris Polian was the guy that acquired so much talent on the clots that when manning went down they fell off the face of the earth.  That dude stinks!

We'll probably have to hire a new HC this year though...  DC better make his next coaching hire a good one...  Open the vaults of Everbank and go buy a real coach

If the alternative is Polian I hope caldwell stays.

Caldwell isn't going anywhere.

I say fire them both and bring in Matt Millen. Rich Kotite is still alive. With his best days ahead, I see Super Bowl in our future.

Quote:I say fire them both and bring in Matt Millen. Rich Kotite is still alive. With his best days ahead, I see Super Bowl in our future.

4 words: Starting quarterback Josh McCown
This has to be a troll post.

Josh McCown???? :mellow:

I want Luke McCown.

Quote:This has to be a troll post.

We've all been whooshed
Quote:Omg no to Chris Polian!

Holy crap lets not go from the frying pan into the fryer. yes I think Caldwell is Doing a bad job but there's time to turn it around. Caldwell made two massive mistakes the first was thinking he could blow a roster up and turn it around writhin 3-4 years. The second is trying to draft and build a roster from scratch to fit a scheme instead of just taking the best talent we can get and building a scheme around the talent.

Thin about the first year we had somewhere around 38 out of 53 on the roster as new personnel. We only had 7 draft picks the rest are either free agents, UDFA or waiver wire pick ups. By year two it was over 40 something player where fresh faces. In year 3 the entire team is new, so no wonder we lack so much talent you have a team complied of 21-23 draft picks ( some of which are complete busts others late rounders not even on the team) maybe 8-10 major free agent acquisitions ( some are just complete whiffs hello Toby) and the rest is UDFA or waiver wire pick ups. Even if we hit 100% on draft picks and free agents half the team would still be bottom feeders we hoped to plug in and go. Just pure arrogance to think he could bat 100%

Then you can question his ability to evaluate talent, for so many of his draft picks to struggle this early I dunno he's not who we thought he was that's for sure.

If we bring someone new in it has to be someone that isn't going to blow the damn roster up again.
 "trying to draft and build a roster from scratch to fit a scheme instead of just taking the best talent we can get and building a scheme around the talent." I think this is one of the more intelligent observations I've read on here. Bravo sir, and I'm being serious. It seems to me that winning teams tend to do the first thing, 'drafting the best talent available and then building a scheme to fit that talent'. We have been trying over and over to draft talent to fit a preconceived scheme. The problem is that you never really know if that talent is going to work in that scheme since you don't have 100% control over the draft. It's like trying to rake the leaves into the wind instead of raking the leaves with the wind.

Anyway, I thought that was a very good observation.
So... you posted this thought in one thread and then created a new thread?

Almost immediately.

And you people wonder why threads get deleted....

Well here are my thoughts, on topic.

Caldwell isn't perfect, but I dare you to find a GM that has made every right move all the time. I don't think it is time to move on from him. I don't think Chris Polian can take the credit and Caldwell gets none. And I'm pretty sure clot fans were glad the little Polian was gone and many Jags fans weren't ecstatic about the hire when it happened.

Now... throwing the Gus Bus over the edge isn't enough.... you want to get rid of the guy who is the only one in the past.... decade to give us talent, actual talent at the QB and WR position... seemingly replaced MJD well enough (after a couple fa tries) with Yeldon.

Essentially building an awesome core of offense for the foreseeable future. (Coupled with some very good young linemen and hopefully a TE threat, if he can stay healthy)

He also brought a defense out of the dumps, and while they aren't great, we went from bottom third to top third in sacks.

Also... aside from maybe having a superstar pick (we'll see with Fowler) this defense has improved even when we thought it'd be crap.

He did all this after gutting a roster and starting from scratch.

And after 3 years because of a perceived notion that his coach can't seem to get his young players to settle in, you want to get rid of the GM as well?

And start over, again?

And you think Chris Polian is the man for the job?

Wallbash

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8