Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions from the Dolphins Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The word of the day is: redemption!

1.  Last Sunday, Bortles did not have a particularly great game.  There were times he was off on his passes.  He threw two INTs, including the 2nd half pick six that gave the momentum to Carolina.  The team never recovered.  Later in the week, he ticked off part of the fan base by defending Olson against playcalling criticisms from fans.  Today, he made up for all of that, throwing for 2 TDs and 0 INTs (though he almost threw one right before halftime).  He attacked deep throughout the first half, and had a nice 28 yard scramble.  He moved the team into FG range right before the end of the first half, and into FG range right before the end of the game.  Kudos to Bortles!

2.  Last Sunday, Allen Robinson dropped a key first half pass that would have gone for a first down, and was pretty much a non factor throughout the game.  This week, especially in the first half, he was a man possessed.  He caught everything that hit his hands, often in spectacular fashion.  One of his deep catches was reminiscent of Lynn Swann in SB X.  He out jumped a good CB on another deep pass, and finally, he put on a double move to get open deep for his second first half TD.   I am not sure what happened to him and the offense in the second half, but his performance showed why so many Jaguars fans see potential super star  in him.

3.  All offseason, Marqise Lee has been MIA.  Fans were whispering the B word in connection with him.  Some fans on the message board were talking about cutting him or trading him away.  Even offensive coordinator Greg Olson compared him to an albino tiger, in discussing how rarely he has seen him on the practice field while recovering from a hamstring injury.  WHile he didn't have the monster game that Allen Robinson had, he picked up 2-3 first downs and had more of an impact today than I thought. 

4.  All last week, Offensive coordinator Greg Olson received a lot of flak from disgruntled fans over his play calling.  His QB came to his defense during the week, and after the team played aggressively offensively, I think much of that criticism quieted down.  I think he had some good plays set up in the second half ruined by poor execution (the back to back drops from Rashad Greene come to mind), but the offense looked much better overall this week than last.  Even though there wasn't much scoring in the second half, he called plays well enough for the team to move the ball enough to give the defense the breather it needed to come through late.  Which brings me to...

5.  Last week, the defense played well overall, but after the pick 6, the defense couldn't make a play to save their lives.  Third down after third down after third down, the defense failed to get Carolina off the field in the 4th quarter.  Today, while the offense gave up more yards and didn't force any turnovers, the defense stepped up big in the 4th quarter getting pressure on Tannehill and almost completely shutting down the run.  Whoda thunk that Odrick would have more impact than Suh?  Absolutely dominant that next to last series.

6.  Last week, the offensive line fell apart once Joeckel went down with the ankle.  This week, while they had their struggles getting running room for Yeldon, they didn't give up any sacks, either.  Now a lot of that has to do with Bortles getting rid of the ball, the receivers getting open, and the backs picking up blitzes, I have to give credit where due.  They played well against a good pass rushing defensive line.

7.  Rookie Watch:

I.  Dante Fownler-DNP

II.  T.J. Yeldon-definitely earned tough yards this week.  WHile he had some nice runs, showing some patience on outside runs, mostly he found it tough sledding.

III.  A.J. Cann-saw him dressed, but did not see him play.

IV.  James Sample-got his first start at strong safety today.  WHile he did not flash any big plays, he also didn't stand out negatively like Cyprien, especially in terms of taking bad angles to the ball on running plays.

V.  Rashad Greene-had back to back drops in the second half, but redeemed himself with a nice punt return in the second half.

VI.  Michael Bennett-Did not notice him.

VII.  Michael Grant-Noticed him on a kick return and a run.  Not much impact.

VIII.  Nick Marshall-had a punt return in the second half after Greene went out, and had a nice return.

8.  Last week, Myers had a missed FG and extra point.  This week, he was, dare I say...Scobee-esque.  He hit all of his extra points.  He nailed a 58 yarder right at halftime, and hit the game winning FG with 40 seconds left in the game.  He justified the faith Caldwell put in him.  I still think them darkening the video boards when he is kicking a FG is troubling.

9.  Last week, Special teams, while not giving the sort of disastrous performance they gave last year, did not have a good game.  This week, I had no problems with the play of any aspect of special teams.   Protection was good.  Kick coverage was mostly good.  The punting was good.

10.  Bottom line-I am still kinda annoyed at losing a winnable game last week vs. Carolina.  But perhaps that was a lesson the team needed to learn.  All of the parts of the team that failed us last week stepped up huge this week.  For the first time in years, we are 1-1 after two games, and actually tied for first after week two!!  It is great to squish the fish, and today's win sets up a possible state championship in week 5 against the Bucs, and a modicum of respect, and some much needed momentum going into New England next week!

The defense is playing pretty well. Key stops at key moments. Pressure from the defensive line is lacking, but missing 2 huge factors in Dante Fowler and Marks. Awesome game.

Yeldon is a helluva back, IMO. Made a lot of plays out of nothing. Whenever there was a slight hole, he was making plays and even made tough yards just getting back to the LOS. I'm excited for him.
Dude no sacks. Can't believe that one. How long has it been since our qb hasn't been pounded?
Quote:The defense is playing pretty well. Key stops at key moments. Pressure from the defensive line is lacking, but missing 2 huge factors in Dante Fowler and Marks. Awesome game.

Yeldon is a helluva back, IMO. Made a lot of plays out of nothing. Whenever there was a slight hole, he was making plays and even made tough yards just getting back to the LOS. I'm excited for him.

I still think at this point denard is better. His speed is the difference.
Quote:Dude no sacks. Can't believe that one. How long has it been since our qb hasn't been pounded?
Thanx to Sam young..
Marshall also blew up a punt returner in the 2nd half too.
Quote:I still think at this point denard is better. His speed is the difference.

Denard's speed is obvious when he gets space. But that's the thing about him. While he's done more through the middle and tight plays than I have expected from him, he's still a speed guy that typically needs space or a clear hole. Yeldon's stats don't reflect it, but he did a LOT of work for those yards today when no room existed. Gaining a few yards up the middle where there was no room, or bouncing out, out and further out when possible to gain a few yards. It was impressive. With that said, he and Denard could be a good pair.

Oh, and don't discount Yeldon's speed, either.

That Marshall hit was great, wasn't it?

Quote:That Marshall hit was great, wasn't it?
No doubt
Quote:That Marshall hit was great, wasn't it?
Seemed like the turning point in the game, in terms of momentum.
R. Greene had the one good punt return but had messed up on another that caused Marshall to return towards the end of the game.

His constant drops are frustrating, so he could go from 4th to 5th on the depth chart against the Patriots.

Quote:Seemed like the turning point in the game, in terms of momentum.
Fired up the whole team a bit i agree.
My impression through 2 games. Skuta and Odrick are paying dividends on run defense.
Everyone looks a lot better with decent pass blocking.

The fact we won despite a lot of mistakes is also a sign of progress.
I didn't realize until reading a couple postgame articles but the fact we played the final quarter with our 4th,5th, and 6th corners is pretty amazing

Quote:Denard's speed is obvious when he gets space. But that's the thing about him. While he's done more through the middle and tight plays than I have expected from him, he's still a speed guy that typically needs space or a clear hole. Yeldon's stats don't reflect it, but he did a LOT of work for those yards today when no room existed. Gaining a few yards up the middle where there was no room, or bouncing out, out and further out when possible to gain a few yards. It was impressive. With that said, he and Denard could be a good pair.

Oh, and don't discount Yeldon's speed, either.

Absolutely correct. Yeldon made a lot of yard on his own with patience and vision. I don't think Robinson makes those same plays as he doesn't have the same vision and shiftyness as Yeldon.
Quote:I didn't realize until reading a couple postgame articles but the fact we played the final quarter with our 4th,5th, and 6th corners is pretty amazing

I caught that on Twitter during the game and was really confused as to why the Dolphins weren't trying to take more advantage. Maybe our guys were just lights out.
Quote:I caught that on Twitter during the game and was really confused as to why the Dolphins weren't trying to take more advantage. Maybe our guys were just lights out.

I saw #25 for the Jags on the field in the second half didn't recognize the player which is always a good feeling. Then when I saw #25 & #26 on the field together I almost crapped myself. I recognized #26 btw. That was the problem.
Quote:I saw #25 for the Jags on the field in the second half didn't recognize the player which is always a good feeling. Then when I saw #25 & #26 on the field together I almost crapped myself. I recognized #26 btw. That was the problem.
Caldwell made the right move with practice squad and Bryan Walters this week.
4 of our top 5 dbs were out of the game during crunch time.

Who says we have no depth?

Pages: 1 2 3 4