Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: An Open Letter to Jason Myers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
September 1st, 2015

Dear Jason,

Congratulations on winning the kicking job for the Jacksonville Jaguars this season and winning the job over Jags legend Josh Scobee. Those of us who are passionate and pay close attention to the team realized the unthinkable might actually be occurring when you were chosen to kick in 3/4 opportunities vs. the Giants and then solely held place kicking duties in last weeks game vs. the Lions, going 1/1 while Josh Scobee was merely an observer from the sidelines. 

Rather than be bitter and angry at you for taking the job of a Jaguars legend and the heart and soul of our football team, I thought it would be more productive to pen a letter of advice and encouragement. Please understand that  I am writing this for my own healing as well as the legions of Jaguars fans in Jacksonville, the United States, and of course London, our unofficial home away from home.

First off, know that we support you. You do not have to worry about any of us true fans stating "Scobee would have made that" after you blow a game by missing a field goal or an extra point or "Scobee would have tackled him" after a returner blows by our return team leaving you one one one with you and then juking you out or running you over. Jacksonville fans understood that Scobee was a once in a lifetime player and although his career with Jaguars ended way to prematurely, we will throw our support behind you.

Secondly, you will need to understand that Jacksonville is nothing like Poughkeepsie, New York, where you kicked in college. Whereas there is no doubt in anyone's mind you could keep a low profie in Poughkeepsie and go about your business, you will never be able to do the same in Jacksonville. Be ready for fans to yell out things such as "Hey - There is Scobee's replacement" or "Hey - There's Scobee's replacement and I wonder if that guy can kick a 59 yarder to win a game like Scobee did' or "Hey - there's that guy who repaced Josh Scobee - I wonder if he will ever be our career scoring leader like Josh Scobee was and score 1022 points". Trips to the coffee shop, the laundry mat and to the grocery store will take on an entirely new meaning and will be an entirely new experience. Please do not be offended by comments such as these as us Jaguar fans often speak without thinking and our statements come out sounding worse than we intended.

Lastly, you will need to familiarize yourself with the Ponce De Leon Cup which is awarded to the top NFL team in Florida each year. The Ponce De Leon Cup is named after the Spanish Conquistador Juan Ponce De Leon who discovered the great state of Florida, or "La Florida" as De Leon affectionally referred to it back in the early 1500's. This season, we/you will play both Tampa and Miami. Winning these games will be essential to winning the 2016 Ponce De Leon Cup. Jacksonville Fans can forgive a lot (Such as drafting Blackmon, drafting Blaine Gabbert, Drafting Dante Fowler, taking a punter in the draft over Russell Wilson because or GM at the time will always draft a starter over a bench, hiring Mike Mularkey, parting ways with our beloved mascot, parting ways way to soon with David Garrard, and of course the biggest blunder ever -firing Jack Del Rio) but they will not tolerate anything but a first place finish in the PDL Cup. As  long as you know this going in, convert on 80.8% of your field goal attempts as Josh Scobee did, convert on over 99% of your extra point attempts as Josh Scobee did and tackle as well in the open field as Josh Scobee did, you can be a Jaguar for life - unless they decide to inexplicably trade you as they did Josh Scobee earlier this week.

That's enough advice for one day. 

Sincerly,

Omaha's Number 1JAGSFAN

Sideline

s l o w

g o l f

c l a p

Lol
I want those three minutes of my life back.
I wonder if some people forget that the foundation of any good FOOTball team are the kickers. If Myers can be a tandem with Legatron Anger to be the best kicking combo in the league, the Jaguars are sure to face a decade more prosperous than the Patriots have enjoyed since 2001. 

Quote:I wonder if some people forget that the foundation of any good FOOTball team are the kickers. If Myers can be a tandem with Legatron Anger to be the best kicking combo in the league, the Jaguars are sure to face a decade more prosperous than the Patriots have enjoyed since 2001. 

My thoughts exactly and once we can get over losing our legend and the healing process can begin then I really think the Myers/Legatron kicking combo will be the best in the league and move us to the front of the AFC. I would LOVE to see us get both of these players on the field at the same time to give opposing defenses a different look.
Harder to get 99% on FGs when it's 13 yards back than originally.
Quote:I want those three minutes of my life back.

LOL, I just had to read some of the comments to confirm what I suspected this thread was about.

Wait...  It took you three minutes to read that?   :blink:
Quote:My thoughts exactly and once we can get over losing our legend and the healing process can begin then I really think the Myers/Legatron kicking combo will be the best in the league and move us to the front of the AFC. I would LOVE to see us get both of these players on the field at the same time to give opposing defenses a different look.

That's just too much legend on one field. The NFL would forbide it citing an unfair advantage
Quote:Harder to get 99% on FGs when it's 13 yards back than originally.
I really don't think now is the time to start making excuses for our rookie kicker. I figured this might come up so over the last few days I have observed video of all of  Scobee's career extra points and using a unique video system that measured distance beyond the cross bar from kicks from the 2 yard line, Scobee's extra point percentage would have actually been HIGHER from the 15 yard line believe it or not based on the trajectory of the ball on the few he ever missed. Scobee's one weakness was that he was just to powerful to kick from inside the three yard line. This is a true statement and extremely factual. 

Scobee wasn't even good towards the end.

this was a great idea this letter. I would like to add a couple things to it myself though.  

No one is mad at  Jason Myers,nor should we be. He didn't trade scobee mangement did that. Jason was doing his job. I wasn't happy about the trade myself yesterday,but theres nothing we can do  about it. We need to stick by our team no matter what. Jason i have had bad expirences with people named jason before,one never paid us money he owed us,and the other Jason cost me a friend.  Please do me a huge favor,and show me someone with the name Jason can be a good person.  no offensse to anyone on the board if your name is Jason.

raweyejag

Quote:Scobee wasn't even good towards the end.

No Say it ain't so. 
Quote:That's just too much legend on one field. The NFL would forbide it citing an unfair advantage

Launching an exceedingly long investigation, where they eventually conclude what they weren't able to prove was indeed "proven."

Then, ends up in appeals courts for several more months before a judge spanks the NFL on the rear and sends them to bed without dinner.
Quote:LOL, I just had to read some of the comments to confirm what I suspected this thread was about.

Wait... It took you three minutes to read that? :blink:
I had to read it twice to make sense of it.
Lik dis if you cry everytim
The Ponce de Leon cup should be well within our grasp now that the Jaguars kicking game has found the Fountain of Youth.
Quote:September 1st, 2015

Dear Jason,

Congratulations on winning the kicking job for the Jacksonville Jaguars this season and winning the job over Jags legend Josh Scobee. Those of us who are passionate and pay close attention to the team realized the unthinkable might actually be occurring when you were chosen to kick in 3/4 opportunities vs. the Giants and then solely held place kicking duties in last weeks game vs. the Lions, going 1/1 while Josh Scobee was merely an observer from the sidelines.

Rather than be bitter and angry at you for taking the job of a Jaguars legend and the heart and soul of our football team, I thought it would be more productive to pen a letter of advice and encouragement. Please understand that I am writing this for my own healing as well as the legions of Jaguars fans in Jacksonville, the United States, and of course London, our unofficial home away from home.

First off, know that we support you. You do not have to worry about any of us true fans stating "Scobee would have made that" after you blow a game by missing a field goal or an extra point or "Scobee would have tackled him" after a returner blows by our return team leaving you one one one with you and then juking you out or running you over. Jacksonville fans understood that Scobee was a once in a lifetime player and although his career with Jaguars ended way to prematurely, we will throw our support behind you.

Secondly, you will need to understand that Jacksonville is nothing like Poughkeepsie, New York, where you kicked in college. Whereas there is no doubt in anyone's mind you could keep a low profie in Poughkeepsie and go about your business, you will never be able to do the same in Jacksonville. Be ready for fans to yell out things such as "Hey - There is Scobee's replacement" or "Hey - There's Scobee's replacement and I wonder if that guy can kick a 59 yarder to win a game like Scobee did' or "Hey - there's that guy who repaced Josh Scobee - I wonder if he will ever be our career scoring leader like Josh Scobee was and score 1022 points". Trips to the coffee shop, the laundry mat and to the grocery store will take on an entirely new meaning and will be an entirely new experience. Please do not be offended by comments such as these as us Jaguar fans often speak without thinking and our statements come out sounding worse than we intended.

Lastly, you will need to familiarize yourself with the Ponce De Leon Cup which is awarded to the top NFL team in Florida each year. The Ponce De Leon Cup is named after the Spanish Conquistador Juan Ponce De Leon who discovered the great state of Florida, or "La Florida" as De Leon affectionally referred to it back in the early 1500's. This season, we/you will play both Tampa and Miami. Winning these games will be essential to winning the 2016 Ponce De Leon Cup. Jacksonville Fans can forgive a lot (Such as drafting Blackmon, drafting Blaine Gabbert, Drafting Dante Fowler, taking a punter in the draft over Russell Wilson because or GM at the time will always draft a starter over a bench, hiring Mike Mularkey, parting ways with our beloved mascot, parting ways way to soon with David Garrard, and of course the biggest blunder ever -firing Jack Del Rio) but they will not tolerate anything but a first place finish in the PDL Cup. As long as you know this going in, convert on 80.8% of your field goal attempts as Josh Scobee did, convert on over 99% of your extra point attempts as Josh Scobee did and tackle as well in the open field as Josh Scobee did, you can be a Jaguar for life - unless they decide to inexplicably trade you as they did Josh Scobee earlier this week.

That's enough advice for one day.

Sincerly,

Omaha's Number 1JAGSFAN

Give me a friggin break. Legend? Your talking about a kicker. Get a hold of yourself for sakes.
I liked Scobee as much as the next Jags fan (excluding the guy who started this thread), but he wasnt THAT amazing of a kicker.  I'm looking at pro football reference and there are 20 (yes 20!) active kickers with a better career FG% than Scobee.  And he did that in Jacksonville which has pretty good weather year round.

Now I'm sure there is a more accurate and indepth statistic out there that weights FG% based on distance, stadium, etc... so maybe he would be better than 21st among active kickers.  But I cant imagine it would change that dramatically.  

Pages: 1 2 3 4