Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cut him he is wasting space on the roster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I never like Branch when we drafted him and I like him less now. In college he had one outside move that work because of the competition. Every time he got locked up buy a tackle or o lineman he was completely naturalized. In college and so far in his pro career I have never seen him drive the lineman back toward the quarterback. He is taking up space that we need to let another player get experience playing. Time to pull the plug on Branch!  I see it Clemons, Smith, Davis, Cappi, Branch

Quote:I never like Branch when we drafted him and I like him less now. In college he had one outside move that work because of the competition. Every time he got locked up buy a tackle or o lineman he was completely naturalized. In college and so far in his pro career I have never seen him drive the lineman back toward the quarterback. He is taking up space that we need to let another player get experience playing. Time to pull the plug on Branch!  I see it Clemons, Smith, Davis, Cappi, Branch
I support.
I see a 9 player DL...

starters: Odrick, Miller, Marks, Clemons

backups: Alualu, Davis, A.Jones, Bennett, C. Smith

Ziggy Hood and Andre Branch are tough cuts to make, but the roster needs players elsewhere.

I think we've gotten the most out of Branch. Smith and Davis's potential has not been met yet
He's gone. Dave will try to deal him for a 7th.

He is absolutely useless.
Mr Invisible on game day

I always hate to give up on someone but he has had very few high lights or even flashes. I would love to see us give Cappi some love but I know thats a pretty long shot.

Quote:I see a 9 player DL...

Ziggy Hood and Andre Branch are tough cuts to make, but the roster needs players elsewhere.
Ziggy Hood I agree is a tough cut, but Branch can't even show up in a contract year. 

I'd be surprised if we kept less than 10.  Our initial 53 man roster last year had 10 DL.  And we just have too many good players at the position.  I'd much rather keep Hood than a 6th WR or a 6th LB.  Good DL are tough to find and if we suffer injuries, I think it'd be easier to find a WR or a RB off the street to come in and play than a DL.  

To be perfectly honest, I would be less surprised with 11 DL than with 9.  I just think we are so loaded at the position.  And it's such an important one.  

With as much rotating they do along the D-Line, I'll be surprised if they keep less than 10 bodies there.
The more I think about it, 11 DL is a real possibility.

DT: Marks, Miller, Odrick, Jones, Hood, Bennett

DE: Alualu, Clemons, Davis

Thats 9.  And then 2 of this 3(Smith, Branch, Capi).

Last year we went with 10 DL and 6 LB.  I dont see why 11 DL and 5 LB would be out of the question. So much deeper at DL than at LB.  Whoever we let go at LB, we'd probably easily be able to pick back up off the street if we suffered injuries.  Not to mention with teams playing in nickel so much these days, depth at LB isnt quite what it used to be.

Branch is in a contract year. It'd be beyond stupid to cut him.

After his first big game I guarantee this thread will be bumped. If he is cut before the season opener I'll eat crow.
Quote:The more I think about it, 11 DL is a real possibility.

DT: Marks, Miller, Odrick, Jones, Hood, Bennett

DE: Alualu, Clemons, Davis

Thats 9. And then 2 of this 3(Smith, Branch, Capi).

Last year we went with 10 DL and 6 LB. I dont see why 11 DL and 5 LB would be out of the question. So much deeper at DL than at LB. Whoever we let go at LB, we'd probably easily be able to pick back up off the street if we suffered injuries. Not to mention with teams playing in nickel so much these days, depth at LB isnt quite what it used to be.

I think Davis and Branch cab cover flats too. So they have some hybrid backer skills. I rather 10 DL esp with marks returning from injury. 6 LB. 10 DB (5 and 5, or 6/4).
Quote:Branch is in a contract year. It'd be beyond stupid to cut him.

After his first big game I guarantee this thread will be bumped. If he is cut before the season opener I'll eat crow.

Have you ever watched him play?
Quote:Have you ever watched him play?

No. He good?

Why would he be going 110% risking injury in a meaningless preseason game in a contract year and no scheme. If he has 0 sacks by October let me know. Otherwise he's not going anywhere.

He's vastly improved I'm thinking he has a career year (not that impressive) in 2015 if he stays healthy.

Cutting Branch for Cap Capi is absolutely moronic.
buy??? naturalized?. I think u meant "by"... and "neutralized. Lets see how he plays tomorrow. Kid had a nice pick last year against those guys in the preseason
Quote:Branch is in a contract year. It'd be beyond stupid to cut him.
Guys in contract years get cut all the time. If he's not good enough and/or continues to pull a vanishing act on game day, who cares if he's in a contract year?

Quote:Why would he be going 110% risking injury in a meaningless preseason game in a contract year and no scheme. If he has 0 sacks by October let me know. Otherwise he's not going anywhere.
[Image: 1594481.jpg]
Watching Branch's performance on DVR the first couple of preseason games I can't see how he makes the final cut
I was one of the people that trashed him a week ago saying how bad he has been, but lets not forget he showed up a bit last season and made some plays. He didn't finish out the last six games because of injury. You all know good and well he's a scheme edge rusher and relies on that to get sacks. We have barely anyone that's good enough to put pressure on the QB alone, so you could say our entire defensive line is useless. They work as a unit, not a single person... Cutting him would be a poor decision based on the circumstances. He's in his contract year and could have more motivation than ever, and at the very least he provides depth. And what would we really gain out of this? Extra 7th rounder? Cap Capi? C'mon, we're guaranteed to get sacks from him and he's not even a starter.

Quote:Watching Branch's performance on DVR the first couple of preseason games I can't see how he makes the final cut
I was saying that too a few days ago, and I said it last year during the pre-season as well. And then he intercepted Stafford's pass and got a sack in the third pre-season game. They're a scheming unit and aren't good enough to get sacks on their own. They were running with standard formations and plays last week, that's why none of our starters have gotten sacks.
Pages: 1 2 3