Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PS4 I need opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've always been a Sony guy and had many a Sony game system since I was in my early teens.

I sold my PS3 awhile back and have been pondering getting a PS4. Those of you that have had one, played one etc are they as good as advertised? I've seen some pretty good reviews but don't know too many people personally that have them.

What are your thoughts on games? I'm usually a sports or first person shooter guy. GTA also had me hooked for years.

Being without my PS3 has me missing the gaming world.
I have one. It's pretty good, though it's only the second console I've owned, the first being the Nintendo Gamecube. Which was better since it doubled as a home defense weapon. 

I've got the PS4 and have had a decent time with a few games; Arkham Knight (Batman series), Shadow of Mordor, Bloodborne, to name a few. It really just feels like the PS3 2.0 if that makes sense but I do like it.

Quote:I have one. It's pretty good, though it's only the second console I've owned, the first being the Nintendo Gamecube. Which was better since it doubled as a home defense weapon.

I forgot all about the Gamecube. I don't think I've seen or played one of those since Jr. High.
Quote:I've got the PS4 and have had a decent time with a few games; Arkham Knight (Batman series), Shadow of Mordor, Bloodborne, to name a few. It really just feels like the PS3 2.0 if that makes sense but I do like it.

I really enjoyed the PS3 so that's good to hear. I enjoy Batman so Arkham Knight is one I'd strongly consider.
I'm sitting on my PS3 until I see what the upcoming VR headsets do. Oculus Rift has my full attention, but getting a setup for one of those will be pricey, and Facebook's involvement scares me a little bit both in terms of developers walking away and personal data being sent back to them. Sony's headset will be a cheaper setup with massive support and greatly reduced privacy concerns, but whereas the Oculus Rift platform is limited only by the computer it's plugged into (and capable of a much more realistic experience as a result), Sony's Morpheus is dependent upon a PS4, and I don't think that a PS4 has the juice to deliver a consistently lifelike VR experience.

So, basically, if VR interests you at all, I'd wait and see what happens with the Rift and Morpheus before buying anything.

Love ps4.  but mine unfortunately got fried in a lightning storm.  boredom at an all time high.

I've been considering one for the kids.  Still just doesn't seem like there's a lot of quality games yet.

With Madden and Star Wars Battlefront coming soon, that should change quickly.

My dilemma is whether to get the PS4, or put what I save not getting PS4 into PS3 gift options (Disney Infinity 3.0/Star Wars.)

Regardless, Star Wars is likely to be the center of this Christmas' theme.

Quote:I've been considering one for the kids.  Still just doesn't seem like there's a lot of quality games yet.

My dilemma is whether to get the PS4, or put what I save not getting PS4 into PS3 gift options (Disney Infinity 3.0/Star Wars.)

"For the kids"
Quote:I'm sitting on my PS3 until I see what the upcoming VR headsets do. Oculus Rift has my full attention, but getting a setup for one of those will be pricey, and Facebook's involvement scares me a little bit both in terms of developers walking away and personal data being sent back to them. Sony's headset will be a cheaper setup with massive support and greatly reduced privacy concerns, but whereas the Oculus Rift platform is limited only by the computer it's plugged into (and capable of a much more realistic experience as a result), Sony's Morpheus is dependent upon a PS4, and I don't think that a PS4 has the juice to deliver a consistently lifelike VR experience.

So, basically, if VR interests you at all, I'd wait and see what happens with the Rift and Morpheus before buying anything.

Not a big VR guy personally.  I think I might bite the bullet and spend the money.  You only live once...and I'm working a lot of extra hours.  Time to reward myself.  Plus I can get it 12 months no interest at Best Buy if I want to go that route.

Quote:Love ps4.  but mine unfortunately got fried in a lightning storm.  boredom at an all time high.

That's rough.  

Quote:I've been considering one for the kids.  Still just doesn't seem like there's a lot of quality games yet.

You can't go wrong with Star Wars.  You simply can't.

Has anyone played GTA V?
Quote:"For the kids"

Of course.  :thumbsup:

TBH if I were still single I'd have one already.
Quote:Has anyone played GTA V?
Not much. I'm kind of over the GTA series, to be perfectly honest about it. The storylines are great, but the basic gameplay hasn't changed since GTA III was released almost 14 years ago. Cut scene, mission assigned, steal a car, kill people, (race/pick someone up/defend someone/raid warehouse), steal new car, escape and/or kill bad guys, return to boss, cut scene, mission success. Wantonly destroy the city in between missions to make money and/or keep yourself entertained. At this point, it kind of feels like I'm watching the same movie with different characters.
V is a lot of fun, but have only played PS3 version.

PS4 includes "first person" POV, and a few exclusive missions, IIRC.

Things have changed quite a bit re:game play since III.

That being said, I can't recommend Read Dead Redemption enough for those who enjoy the GTA series and haven't tried it yet.  Still waiting on that sequel/prequel.

Quote: 

Has anyone played GTA V?

I played it when it first came out, it was fun until the hype wore off, I stopped playing after the 1st heist and sent it back to gamefly.  Maybe I just don't care for the more "serious" approach in storytelling with 4 and 5.  Give me Just Cause and Saints Row over GTA and....ugh....Watch dogs. 

I really want to play bloodborne on there and eventually dark souls 3 but all the sports games on ps4 are noticeably better.  If I could just get all my houses to close in a timely fashion I could do just that
It's pretty sweet.  It run really well.

I have noticed that most games are still available on the PS3.  Which was kind of weird, when I bought it, and every game was available on the console I just got rid of.  Also you have to pay for the PS plus, which used to be for free.

Quote:It's pretty sweet.  It run really well.

I have noticed that most games are still available on the PS3.  Which was kind of weird, when I bought it, and every game was available on the console I just got rid of.  Also you have to pay for the PS plus, which used to be for free.
Yeah, they'll continue to port games to PS3 for a while yet. You won't get the same graphics quality, but the base game content is generally not changed.
Quote:Yeah, they'll continue to port games to PS3 for a while yet. You won't get the same graphics quality, but the base game content is generally not changed.
From what I hear the Remastered edition of The Last of Us was significantly better than the PS3 version. I have on idea if that's true but it's what I've heard. 
Quote:From what I hear the Remastered edition of The Last of Us was significantly better than the PS3 version. I have on idea if that's true but it's what I've heard. 
...them's fightin' words.
Quote:That being said, I can't recommend Read Dead Redemption enough for those who enjoy the GTA series and haven't tried it yet.  Still waiting on that sequel/prequel.

I really wish they would have released Read Dead Redemption on the PC. I played through about half of it before I sold my xbox 360, should have finished it.
Pages: 1 2 3