Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Simple Yes or No....Is Bortles The Guy?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Simple Yes or No....Is Bortles The Guy?

Quote:Bortles will be fine as long as our offensive coordinator doesn't make him dink and dunk constantly.
Did the ball travel further than 10 yards today?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bortles will be fine as long as our offensive coordinator doesn't make him dink and dunk constantly.

I wish Blake had Norv Turner like Teddy has. The OC is so huge in a young QBs growth. I like Blake a lot but I think he needs better coaching.

One interception and the offense withdrew into a shell. If the coaching staff was not going to trust Bortles as a passer they should have put Henne back in.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

^ +1

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Not without researching it, but I can name plenty of QBs that started out sucking their rookie years and then went on to good or great careers.  Early flashes in the pan like RGIII notwithstanding.

Terry Bradshaw had 6 TDs, 24 INTs as a rookie.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:One interception and the offense withdrew into a shell. If the coaching staff was not going to trust Bortles as a passer they should have put Henne back in.

Did anything actually change, though? It was an interception on a 3 yard sideline pass. After that the strategy seemed to stay with Fisch's, "short, high risk, low reward passing" game.

BB will be fine, it's the coaches that are what we have to worry about.

Quote:Terry Bradshaw had 6 TDs, 24 INTs as a rookie.

Yikes

;

;

Aikman was 7 TD/14 INT.

;

;

Quote:BB will be fine, it's the coaches that are what we have to worry about.

I hope he'll be fine. They're calling plays as though avoiding a mistake is more important than making a play. That's classic game manager mentality. I don't want Blake trained to be a game manager, and you don't need to draft those at pick 3.

I thought the point of playing him was to let him make plays and mistakes, but learn from them. What is he learning from not being allowed to throw? He's learning that even when down by 20 in the fourth quarter, your oc doesn't trust you to throw it. Just keep doing what got you 3 over the first 45 minutes.

hmmmm...so Aikman is the most recent it would seem when he went 9 TDs and 18 INTs...but to be fair he started NO games that year...and Terry Bradshaw was in a completely different era in football.

He Sucks

Quote:He Sucks

Because of the crappy play calling. They are failing their young QB

Quote:hmmmm...so Aikman is the most recent it would seem when he went 9 TDs and 18 INTs...but to be fair he started NO games that year...and Terry Bradshaw was in a completely different era in football.

Aikman started 11 games as a rookie. He went 0-11.

Is it fair to compare Bortles to Aikman and Bradshaw? The passing environment was very different then compared to today. The game is tailored for quarterbacks today, meaning even mediocre QBs can be moderately successful. Who knows what Aikman and Bradshaw could have done their rookie seasons with the same rules in place back then.

From PFF...

<b>Blake Bortles, QB: -4.7</b>

<i>Breakdown: </i>As has been the story all season long, this was another poor performance from Bortles. He finished the game just 15 of 27 for 146 yards with an interception. He really struggled as soon as the pocket started to break down, and on his 10 drop-backs under pressure, he was 0-for-6 with four sacks and an interception.

<i>Signature Stat:</i> 21 of his 24 aimed passes were thrown 9 yards or shorter.

Quote:Is it fair to compare Bortles to Aikman and Bradshaw? The passing environment was very different then compared to today. The game is tailored for quarterbacks today, meaning even mediocre QBs can be moderately successful. Who knows what Aikman and Bradshaw could have done their rookie seasons with the same rules in place back then.

I thought I was done hearing about Aikman's rookie season after Gabbert left. Nope. 

All I can say is that Alex smith was horrible with really bad coaches around him... That's all I can hang my hat on right now... Because I honestly think that the coaches on offense are holding back the progression of BB5

Quote:All I can say is that Alex smith was horrible with really bad coaches around him... That's all I can hang my hat on right now... Because I honestly think that the coaches on offense are holding back the progression of BB5
Whoa... So coaching makes a difference?! 

Some people really need to take a look at what you said when they keep backing Bradley.

Quote:hmmmm...so Aikman is the most recent it would seem when he went 9 TDs and 18 INTs...but to be fair he started NO games that year...and Terry Bradshaw was in a completely different era in football.
Matt Stafford started 10 games as a rookie. He threw 13 TDs and 20 INTs, completed 53% of his passes, with a QB rating of 61. He went 2-8 as a rookie.

This guy has become the fastest QB to 20,000 passing yards. And has developed into a good, generally prolific passer. Granted he has his shortcomings, but he's still a decent QB. If Blake hits this guy's level we'll have a franchise QB on our hands, though hopefully Blake gets us to the play offs and wins for us!