Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wisconsin: 644 yards rushing

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014, 12:43 PM by TravC59.)

How'd Wisconson do in their first game against an average LSU team?

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was specifically talking about the times they put up gaudy numbers such as the 644 in the title thread and 2 100 yard rushers in a game as mostly being against subpar competition. Wisconsin is a good rushing team, but not to the level that their stats indicate. The four games you cited are really good rushing games. However they don't extrapolate to the insane rushing totals Wisconsin has at the end of each year.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:How'd Wisconson do in their first game against an average LSU team?

They lost. That isn't the topic. Melvin Gordon still put up 140 yards on 15 carries (8.8ypc) with a TD. The LSU game supports the premise that Wisconsin puts up solid rushing stats even against SEC level opponents.

Quote:I was specifically talking about the times they put up gaudy numbers such as the 644 in the title thread and 2 100 yard rushers in a game as mostly being against subpar competition. Wisconsin is a good rushing team, but not to the level that their stats indicate. The four games you cited are really good rushing games. However they don't extrapolate to the insane rushing totals Wisconsin has at the end of each year.

Fair enough. I would point out, though, that they did have two 100 yard rushers in the Capitol One bowl against South Carolina last season. A lot of the stats do come against cupcakes, we can agree on.that.

FWIW, I strongly agree that the stats lie in the case of Wisconsin RBs.

Quote:They lost. That isn't the topic. Melvin Gordon still put up 140 yards on 15 carries (8.8ypc) with a TD. The LSU game supports the premise that Wisconsin puts up solid rushing stats even against SEC level opponents.

As I mentioned. An average, at best SEC team this year.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:As I mentioned. An average, at best SEC team this year.

Not only are they average, but at that point of the year they were horrific.  They've gotten much better since then.

Wouldn't results against average SEC teams be a good indication of how Wisconsin's running game would perform on average in the SEC? Logic would say the running game would struggle more vs the top teams, but pad stats vs the bottom feeders.

Also, South Carolina was above SEC average in 2013 and Wisconsin ran for 293 yards on them (including two 100 yard rushers).

While Wisconsin hasn't been an elite team, their run game most definitely has been elite for years.

Wisconsin continues to show that they have the best rushing system in college football. It's been that way for 20+ years.

Quote:Wisconsin continues to show that they have the best rushing system in college football. It's been that way for 20+ years.

They have the single game rushing yards record holder (Gordon), career rushing yards record holder (Dayne) and career rushing TD record holder (Ball).  I don't see how it could be a discussion.  There is no better program at running the football.

Quote:They have the single game rushing yards record holder (Gordon), career rushing yards record holder (Dayne) and career rushing TD record holder (Ball). I don't see how it could be a discussion. There is no better program at running the football.
That school is right up the road from the birthplace of the "Packer Sweep" are you surprised? My dad lives in Milwaukee and i can say with certainty that those Badger fans absolutely love that brand of football.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:They have the single game rushing yards record holder (Gordon), career rushing yards record holder (Dayne) and career rushing TD record holder (Ball).  I don't see how it could be a discussion.  There is no better program at running the football.

They have 22 1,000 yard rushers in the past 22 seasons. I think the next closest might be Oregon at 12.

Quote:That school is right up the road from the birthplace of the "Packer Sweep" are you surprised? My dad lives in Milwaukee and i can say with certainty that those Badger fans absolutely love that brand of football.

Wisconsin football (particularly now that they've been quite successful as of late) is a magnificent environment.  Easily my 2nd favorite team (Iowa fan... Sick ) in the B1G and it was glorious to see them lay a whooping on the Huskers today.  

Quote:They have 22 1,000 yard rushers in the past 22 seasons. I think the next closest might be Oregon at 12.

Incredible production from that system and yet when is the last time they produced a star RB at the NFL level?  I'm not trying to disprove anything you're saying, quite the contrary.  That system is responsible year after year for producing at the RB position.  Yes these guys have talent, you don't play football at that level without it but the system and the blocking style is fantastic.  They continue to make it work each and every year.  No matter who is at RB.

Quote:Wisconsin football (particularly now that they've been quite successful as of late) is a magnificent environment. Easily my 2nd favorite team (Iowa fan... Sick ) in the B1G and it was glorious to see them lay a whooping on the Huskers today.

Incredible production from that system and yet when is the last time they produced a star RB at the NFL level? I'm not trying to disprove anything you're saying, quite the contrary. That system is responsible year after year for producing at the RB position. Yes these guys have talent, you don't play football at that level without it but the system and the blocking style is fantastic. They continue to make it work each and every year. No matter who is at RB.
It's not like Gordon did it against a sisters of the poor defense either. Nebraska is ranked 19th against the run and 24th overall. And considering he did it in only 3 quarters is astounding.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:Wisconsin football (particularly now that they've been quite successful as of late) is a magnificent environment.  Easily my 2nd favorite team (Iowa fan... Sick ) in the B1G and it was glorious to see them lay a whooping on the Huskers today.  

Incredible production from that system and yet when is the last time they produced a star RB at the NFL level?  I'm not trying to disprove anything you're saying, quite the contrary.  That system is responsible year after year for producing at the RB position.  Yes these guys have talent, you don't play football at that level without it but the system and the blocking style is fantastic.  They continue to make it work each and every year.  No matter who is at RB.

Oh, I agree. They are as much of "products of the system" as, say, Hawaii or Texas Tech QBs.