Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Evans and Jonathan Cyprien graded out at safety 78th and 84th respectively out of a possible 86 total per PFF

Quote:It actually is but only if you know the assignment, which a lot of the time they don't.

Ex.

Let's say a boundary corner turns a receiver loose to the safety who doesn't pick him up.

Whose fault is it?

What if it was a combo coverage like the Patriots use a lot of?

Without that info, the stats aren't accurate.

I mean I will say I do appreciate the in depth aspect they try to get into other than saying well Player one had 8 interceptions and he says he is the best and ive heard his name a lot, so he's the best CB in the league 

I just find it really hard to compare a 6'2 210 pound cb that plays a lot of press and against the run vs a 5'10 190 guy playing soft to bait the qb .. Assignment is everything like you said making comparisons difficult as it is

Good point though

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM by pirkster.)

Quote:You do it too.

OK. Let's hear it. How does Chancellor benefit from Thomas? I'm not saying he doesn't, but I'm interest in your break down about why you think that.

I thought of this thread yesterday after Chancellor hauled in an INT on a perfectly defended play.

Then Earl Thomas blew the coverage in the same situation later on, against the very same play and allowed a nice gain.

pwned

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I thought of this thread yesterday after Chancellor hauled in an INT on a perfectly defended play.

Then Earl Thomas blew the coverage in the same situation later on, against the very same play and allowed a nice gain.

pwned

It wasn't Earl Thomas. 

Quote:It wasn't Earl Thomas. 

Yes, it was.  There was another guy in the area, too but that was ET.  If you've DVRed it, watch/listen again as they commented on it.  I didn't believe it either until I rewound and watched again.

Quote:Yes, it was.  There was another guy in the area, too but that was ET.  If you've DVRed it, watch/listen again as they commented on it.  I didn't believe it either until I rewound and watched again.

Are we talking about the sideline pass or the one where Boldin caught the touchdown?

The sideline pass was number 28.  That was the guy who Kap threw the ball over.  I am not sure about who was playing over the top.  From replay it looked like it was number 41.  Plus, I think that was a great throw by Kap. 

Quote:Are we talking about the sideline pass or the one where Boldin caught the touchdown?

The sideline pass was number 28. That was the guy who Kap threw the ball over. I am not sure about who was playing over the top. From replay it looked like it was number 41. Plus, I think that was a great throw by Kap.

The sideline pass was over Walter Thurmond.

Quote:Are we talking about the sideline pass or the one where Boldin caught the touchdown?

The sideline pass was number 28.  That was the guy who Kap threw the ball over.  I am not sure about who was playing over the top.  From replay it looked like it was number 41.  Plus, I think that was a great throw by Kap.

If this is the play that Pirkster is referring to then it was #28 Walter Thurmond III. Buck and Aikman mistakenly called him Earl Thomas multiple times before realizing it wasn't Thomas.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:The sideline pass was over Walter Thurmond.

Yep

It was zone.  Instead of running back to the spot like Kam did, Thomas misread the play and wasn't there.

Thurmond was on the sideline bumping and releasing.  It wasn't his guy to follow, but that's why you saw it thrown over him.

Thurmond was only there because he watched the QBs eyes and chased the play down when he saw the ball come out.

Quote:The sideline pass was over Walter Thurmond.

This.

Initially, they said it was Earl Thomas, but they corrected themselves and said it was Thurmond.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM by bleedingteal.)

Quote:It was zone. Instead of running back to the spot like Kam did, Thomas misread the play and wasn't there.

Thurmond was on the sideline bumping and releasing. It wasn't his guy to follow, but that's why you saw it thrown over him.

Thurmond was only there because he watched the QBs eyes and chased the play down when he saw the ball come out.
I'll have to go back and check when the all 22 is loaded but my initial thought was Thurmond had curl/flat in a cover 3. Chancellor lined up as a lb and had the middle while Thomas had the deep middle. I don't think Thomas was supposed to be anywhere near where the ball was thrown. The curl/flat is normally the responsibility of the SS, nickel or OLB (depends on scheme).

I may be way off base because I only saw the play twice.

Quote:This.

Initially, they said it was Earl Thomas, but they corrected themselves and said it was Thurmond.

Hmm... Seattle must be the only team that swaps corners for safeties on the boundary.  Watch it again... see how late Thomas is (he was looking inside) then decide.  I thought it was Thurmond, too.  But it wasn't his man.  He was compensating and was left holding the bag.  His role was to stay near the LOS and watch for screen, bubble, pitch, etc. to his side.  Anything over the top was the safety's job.  When he saw the ball come out he trailed and ended up being the only guy around (which he shouldn't have been.)  He was the cleanup for the missing man.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:I'll have to go back and check when the all 22 is loaded but my initial thought was Thurmond had curl/flat in a cover 3. Chancellor lined up as a lb and had the middle while Thomas had the deep middle. I don't think Thomas was supposed to be anywhere near where the ball was thrown. The curl/flat is normally the responsibility of the SS, nickel or OLB (depends on scheme).

I may be way off base because I only saw the play twice.

I agree that I could very well be wrong - but that's what I believe I saw second time around (or so it seemed.)

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM by bleedingteal.)

Got pics. Sherman was the deep safety and Thurmond went to the flats while 41 bailed to go deep in cover 3.

Pre snap
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/jfand/media/4CDED4DB-E91E-4F92-A0BA-420F50A60D9B_zpsez88uapa.png.html'>[Image: 4CDED4DB-E91E-4F92-A0BA-420F50A60D9B_zpsez88uapa.png]</a>

Few second after (two angles)
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/jfand/media/31335FDD-3015-4192-A9A9-94515FABF7FE_zpszzcet3bj.png.html'>[Image: 31335FDD-3015-4192-A9A9-94515FABF7FE_zpszzcet3bj.png]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/jfand/media/6EB41F82-5156-4B1D-B073-BF5C89D295E7_zpspnrxhpcn.png.html'>http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l521/jfand/6EB41F82-5156-4B1D-B073-BF5C89D295E7_zpspnrxhpcn.png</a>

Third is being difficult but it's of another angle showing Thurmond run to the flats.

Quote:I agree that I could very well be wrong - but that's what I believe I saw second time around (or so it seemed.)

Still not sure if we're discussing the same play but if your referring to the play on SF's last drive then it was clearly cover three with Maxwell, Sherman, and Thomas as the three deep dB's. Thurmond was responsible for curl\flats and was just about a yard to shallow to make the play.

Just seen the play again.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:Still not sure if we're discussing the same play but if your referring to the play on SF's last drive then it was clearly cover three with Maxwell, Sherman, and Thomas as the three deep dB's. Thurmond was responsible for curl\flats and was just about a yard to shallow to make the play.

Just seen the play again.

I don't know, either.  It was the play the announcers chimed in on.

If it's the same as what bleedingteal shows above, you guys are right.  But I didn't remember them having twins left.

If bleedingteal's pic is the play then they ran twins to the side they previously had run single wide.  That flips the defense and I assumed it was the same play, but if this is the one I'm referring to - then I was wrong and they didn't run the same play.

If that's it, good catch.