Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No matter what, Jax is going to get a ton of publicity...

Quote:You know we're 4-12 right? 

....fewest points scored and most given up, right?

Being hopeful is one thing, saying stuff like the above makes the fanbase look silly. 

I'm just hoping for playoffs and a winning season.

They said we "may" have something special. You even highlighted in red. I would like to know what is so wrong with saying that. They didn't guarantee anything. They didn't predict, essentially they said there is a possibility we could have something special. I guess I can see why people around here give you such a hard time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

2 questions for MadCard05

1 - Do you think Bridgewater played it safe this year?   By that I mean he didn't run for 1st downs (a la Kaepernick).  Does he have some of that in him or is he strickly a pocket dude at this point?   Gabbert has speed but when he came to the Jags he was scared to run and get hit.

2 - I think Petrino was a great move.  I'm not sold on Charlie Strong other then the fact that he can recruit in South Florida which gave Louisville an advantage in talent against teams (except perhaps UCF).   What is you game day coaching opinion on Strong?  Again, I think Petrino is a much better coach.

Good luck .... except against Pitt !!!

Quote:2 questions for MadCard05

1 - Do you think Bridgewater played it safe this year?   By that I mean he didn't run for 1st downs (a la Kaepernick).  Does he have some of that in him or is he strickly a pocket dude at this point?   Gabbert has speed but when he came to the Jags he was scared to run and get hit.

2 - I think Petrino was a great move.  I'm not sold on Charlie Strong other then the fact that he can recruit in South Florida which gave Louisville an advantage in talent against teams (except perhaps UCF).   What is you game day coaching opinion on Strong?  Again, I think Petrino is a much better coach.

Good luck .... except against Pitt !!!

1. - Bridgewater didn't play it safe this year, the guy can take hits and run. If you watch enough of Teddy you'll realize that he doesn't run unless absolutely necessary. He will run back and forth to make space, but his eyes are always down field. It's crazy how he's able to do it. The offense was slow paced and didn't put up eye popping numbers because that's what Strong wanted to protect his defense. I'd say Teddy is a "pocket QB," but that's not because he can't run.

2. - As a Louisville fan I love having Petrino back, but I really liked Coach Strong. Hearing some of the crap he's taking down in Texas just because they hired him makes me really angry. Strong is a good coach on the field, but I think he's slow to change sometimes which cost us a game or two. No one is perfect though. Strong recruited Florida better than any Coach ever had at Louisville, but not by a wide margin. Petrino recruited it almost as well when he was here, and John L Smith and Howard Schnellenburger all recruited it well too. The major reason Louisville wasn't talented between Petrino's first stint and Strong was because they hired Steve Kragthorpe as the football coach. He tried to recruit Texas with no ties there, and gave up on Florida, one of our Pipeline states. He also changed our recruiting philosophy from trying to recruit against Miami, to trying to recruit against Fairly Dickerson of East Carolina School For the Blind and he would lose to them. I try to block those years out.

Quote:Clowney will be there at #3. No team is stupid enough to give up a load of picks to trade up to the #2 spot for a non-QB even if it is a guy like Clowney.

It just depends on if we're smart enough to take him.

I don't know if he'll be there at #3  but I agree that no one is going to trade up and sacrifice picks for a player not playing QB. The price to move up into that spot is expensive.

Quote:And Jamarcus Russel easily had the best arm we had ever seen too, but his attitude sucked and we saw how that turned out. Every few years their is the "best guy ever" at x position, and it doesn't always work out. Look at Calvin Johnson, worked out great! What about all those other WRs the Lions drafted #1 though? Matt Leinhart anyone? Reggie Bush?

My issue with Clowney is the same issue I had with Gabbert vs Newton as a Panther fan. Gabbert's ceiling was lower, and his floor was lower. Newton had a higher ceiling, higher floor, and he had confidence. I didn't see that in Gabbert. Clowney to me has an extremely high ceiling and an extremely low floor. Drafting him with the needs the the Jags have scares me.
Are you honestly comparing Clowney, a proven collegiate super talent, to Gabbert, who only got drafted because he looked like a QB?

As for needs, a pass rushing DE has been a need in Jacksonville for the past 10 years. It's time to address it properly, and what better way than arguably the most talented prospect at any position since Andrew Luck?

Quote:He also easily has the worst attitude and work ethic we've seen in at least 20 years

Over-kill, but okay.

Anyone that thinks Clowney is going to go to the NFL and sit on his thumbs really has no idea who he is.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Are you honestly comparing Clowney, a proven collegiate super talent, to Gabbert, who only got drafted because he looked like a QB?

As for needs, a pass rushing DE has been a need in Jacksonville for the past 10 years. It's time to address it properly, and what better way than arguably the most talented prospect at any position since Andrew Luck?

Over-kill, but okay.

Anyone that thinks Clowney is going to go to the NFL and sit on his thumbs really has no idea who he is.

No one can prove to me who he is. Why did he play so bad this year? That's what I want answered.

Quote:No one can prove to me who he is. Why did he play so bad this year? That's what I want answered.

He didn't put up the # of sacks, but he didn't play badly at all this year.

In fact, he was still their best defensive player and the most schemed against player in the entire country.  Like it or not.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Those teams got Reid and Luck though.
maybe if we get the Teddy I could see us winning some games. I wouldn't be dissatisfied with an 8-8 record especially with a rookie QB at the helm.

Quote:No one can prove to me who he is. Why did he play so bad this year? That's what I want answered.
He has been scehemed against like no other defensive player in college, ever. Clowney STILL would have put up numbers if anybody else on his line could have stepped up a little bit. Luckily, nobody on this board has any say on who gets drafted where and this is why many analysts still believe that Clowney is a once in a generation talent and will go in the top 5. If teams don't throw at a CB all year, his stats will look ugly in terms of interceptions, passes defensed, and even tackles. But does that mean the corner played badly or had no impact in games? Quite the opposite. The same goes for Clowney. Teams spent most of their year trying to keep him away like no other college player before. You won't be able to do that in the pro's against him because in the NFL if you send too many people to block, chip, or run away from Clowney, the other guys will make plays. This is also why I recommend trying to sign Greg Hardy. He is already being double teamed in Carolina. Try that here if we had Clowney and Hardy, and your quarterback is going to get murdered.

Quote:He has been scehemed against like no other defensive player in college, ever. Clowney STILL would have put up numbers if anybody else on his line could have stepped up a little bit. Luckily, nobody on this board has any say on who gets drafted where and this is why many analysts still believe that Clowney is a once in a generation talent and will go in the top 5. If teams don't throw at a CB all year, his stats will look ugly in terms of interceptions, passes defensed, and even tackles. But does that mean the corner played badly or had no impact in games? Quite the opposite. The same goes for Clowney. Teams spent most of their year trying to keep him away like no other college player before. You won't be able to do that in the pro's against him because in the NFL if you send too many people to block, chip, or run away from Clowney, the other guys will make plays. This is also why I recommend trying to sign Greg Hardy. He is already being double teamed in Carolina. Try that here if we had Clowney and Hardy, and your quarterback is going to get murdered.

If they can scheme him into 3 sacks a year in college what makes you think they can't do it in the NFL? Plus your argument seems to be based on some belief that the rest of college football simply didn't know about Clowney until this year. That's a tough sell, especially with the coaches in the SEC. It's also an argument against signing Hardy because if you feel like Clowney was hurt that badly because of having a bad supporting cast, what is he going to do without Charles Johnson, Dwan Edwards and Star on his line? 

People schemed and schemed and schemed against Teddy. His WRs changed, they got hurt, the offensive scheme was slow and not incredibly creative and he still got it done. By your logic that makes him a better choice than Clowney because he got it done despite being schemed against.

I mean come on, the guy didn't do anything against Coastal Carolina! In the Bowl Game against Wisconsin he flat out didn't show up either. Are you telling me that Coastal Carolina schemed him out of the game? Was the Bowl Game just not a big enough stage for him to warrant showing his talents?

Marcus Smith vs Clowney - Why did Marcus Smith show up more when it mattered than Clowney did? Do you not think people schemed against Smith? 

Look, I know these are tough questions that may make me look like a fan boy of Teddy, and I am, but if you're going to draft a kid you better be able to answer questions about his performance, even when they're tough. Drafting a kid because he's a "freak athlete," even though he didn't put up the numbers when it mattered is a very NBA way of doing things. The NBA has a horrible track record of drafting guys just based on "athletic ability" and for every Lebron James there is 100 guys who go to the D-League. If you're going to draft a guy because he's an athlete in the first round you better give me the game day performances in college to back it up. Clowney did that his Freshman and Sophomore years, I want to know what happened his Junior year if I'm draft him, that HAS to be answered.

Quote:If they can scheme him into 3 sacks a year in college what makes you think they can't do it in the NFL? Plus your argument seems to be based on some belief that the rest of college football simply didn't know about Clowney until this year. That's a tough sell, especially with the coaches in the SEC. It's also an argument against signing Hardy because if you feel like Clowney was hurt that badly because of having a bad supporting cast, what is he going to do without Charles Johnson, Dwan Edwards and Star on his line?

People schemed and schemed and schemed against Teddy. His WRs changed, they got hurt, the offensive scheme was slow and not incredibly creative and he still got it done. By your logic that makes him a better choice than Clowney because he got it done despite being schemed against.

I mean come on, the guy didn't do anything against Coastal Carolina! In the Bowl Game against Wisconsin he flat out didn't show up either. Are you telling me that Coastal Carolina schemed him out of the game? Was the Bowl Game just not a big enough stage for him to warrant showing his talents?

Marcus Smith vs Clowney - Why did Marcus Smith show up more when it mattered than Clowney did? Do you not think people schemed against Smith?

Look, I know these are tough questions that may make me look like a fan boy of Teddy, and I am, but if you're going to draft a kid you better be able to answer questions about his performance, even when they're tough. Drafting a kid because he's a "freak athlete," even though he didn't put up the numbers when it mattered is a very NBA way of doing things. The NBA has a horrible track record of drafting guys just based on "athletic ability" and for every Lebron James there is 100 guys who go to the D-League. If you're going to draft a guy because he's an athlete in the first round you better give me the game day performances in college to back it up. Clowney did that his Freshman and Sophomore years, I want to know what happened his Junior year if I'm draft him, that HAS to be answered.
I'm at work so I can't respond to the whole thing yet, but I understand your fanboyism for Teddy. He is good, but he is not Clowney. There's a reason most analysts still think Clowney will go number one. If you could run away from Clowney all game and have success, wouldn't you? You are also basing his performance solely off of one statistic, sacks. Pressures count as well and I never said Hardy needed him. It would help. Hardy performed his best once Johnson got hurt. I'll respond in full later. Lastly, what makes you so sold on Teddy when other QBs everyyrsr put up numbers like him? Some do it against better competition. College stats mean nothing in the pros. I like Teddy but he's not of the same talent level of Clowney.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014, 06:09 PM by MadCard05.)

What makes me sold on Teddy? 

Well first of all value in QB vs DE. A good DE will help a defense, but not as much as a good QB helps an offense. There is a reason why NFL Franchises are built around great QBs.

Stats wise Teddy doesn't stand on shoulders above everyone, but he still stands out. Top 10 in passing yards, Yards Per Attempt, #2 in completion %, Top15 in TDs, and #1 in INTs in QBs with over 300 passing attempts.

Competition is a factor, but when faced with his strongest competition Teddy has played his best. Even hurt against Rutgers in 2012. Competition generally hasn't been a direct correlation of NFL success, since by competition we obviously mean "did he play in the SEC?"  Teddy has faced plenty of NFL DBs on the field and in practice, and he's passed the test. And you can't say that Teddy has had help talent wise the way guys like Johnny has or (insert Florida or USC QB) has.

On the field is where Teddy really shines if you're watching. He has a great arm, even does the Mike Vick "flip pass" for 10 yards effortlessly, and has a prototypical NFL release. He moves defenses with his eyes, as the announcers pointed out game after game, and he scrambles to pass, eyes locked down field. College QBs struggle with this, and even NFL QBs. They scramble and the eyes come down, not Teddy. Teddy is very smart, just watch when Gruden interviews him, he'll make all the other QBs look like they're on a lower level. He also leads the huddle, and he is always the eye of the storm. Everything falling apart? Not Teddy! Teddy is cool-hand Luke. Never gets rattled, never gets phased. If you make a cheap shot on him though like Florida did, be prepared to get marched on. Pressure makes Teddy sharp, it's one of the things I love about him. His size is good for the NFL.

The bottom line for me is between Teddy and Clowney we know what we're getting with Teddy. Now as with anyone else that doesn't mean he's going to make it in the NFL. With Clowney there are more flags, more questions. The question the Jags have to answer if both are available is are you taking Teddy, who has the least questions, and is a potential Franchise QB, or do you take Clowney and risk him being the Anthony Bennet of the NBA. "Athletic Freak" with no heart.

You also have to factor in team chemistry. QB melds with the WRs, TEs, RBs, and line. The DE doesn't effect team chemistry nearly as much. If you're looking to keep some guys around, QB is also the safer pick.

Bridgewater's competition was indeed lacking last season, though. If you look up the record of the teams he faced, he lost the only game this season he played against a ranked team in UCF. When comparing "value" in a QB vs DE, a QB is more valuable if all things are equal. They aren't here though. Clowney has other-worldly talent. Nothing stands out about Teddy like that in the positive. On the flip side, if he is going to take hits in the NFL he is going to HAVE to bulk up about 20-30 pounds. How will that added weight affect him? We don't know. I do, though, agree with your assessment that Teddy has not been helped by other guys like Manziel, who I dislike as an NFL prospect. He will have played with two offensive linemen who will be top 5 picks and his top WR this season is an absolute monster. He also turns the ball over too much for me and is, like Teddy, a bit small in weight for the NFL. Where you say his size is good for the NFL, I lean more towards his size is acceptable if he doesn't plan on running.

I remember during the draft a few years back people were claiming Gabbert was a safer pick and you knew what you were getting in him versus Cam Newton and Carolina went with Newton instead. Do you think they regret that? Sometimes that "risk" you take is well worth it. You word your argument well to favor your side. You make it sound as if Teddy's potential is a franchise QB and that Clowney's potential is a let down. You could flip it the other way, too. Teddy could potentially be Chad Henne just as much as Clowney could be Bruce Smith.

Take a once in a generation talent like Clowney now and try to get off the bottom of the league in sacks. If it doesn't translate into wins, we can go for a guy like Mariota next season who has a higher ceiling than Bridgewater. If we go the other way and we don't win, there is no defensive talent like Clowney in the next draft. 

When Louisville played UCF, a game I was at, Teddy out-played Bortles, UCF's QB, put up amazing stats, and lead the team on a game winning drive with less than 2 minutes left to go. Louisville's defense didn't come to play though and let UCF march right down the field in less than a minute and a half and win the game. Blaming that game on Teddy, or using it against him, isn't very wise IMO. He killed it playing Florida and Miami, do those games not bolster his record?

It has also said repeatedly that the system Teddy was in held him back.