Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Speculation: Brad Meester to Announce Retirement Next Week

Quote:That was my point. HE JUST WENT IN THIS WEEK.

Brunnell is 2 years post getting boogers wiped on him as a Jet.

Oh, ok. As you seemed to be agreeing that Brunell shouldn't go in I thought you were saying the same for Ditka.

It is weird that they took so long for Mike, but perhaps that's how the Bears do it. They do have a somewhat more storied NFL history than Jacksonville.

I haven't looked it up, but somewhere someone is griping about Ditka having his number retired.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Ditka had his number retired the other night. Not the same thing.

As far as I can tell, the Bears don't have a ring of honor.

The Buccaneers have a Ring of Honor. It includes such legends as Paul Gruber and Jimmie Giles.

I guess they're legends in Tampa. If they endured the start of the Bucs NFL history they deserve a Purple Heart at least.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I guess they're legends in Tampa. If they endured the start of the Bucs NFL history they deserve a Purple Heart at least.
That's true. I just don't believe it should be the ring of the pretty goods...or best we've hads...

Slow it down a bit, let things simmer. Then, if you look back 10 years post their retirement from the league and then they are still the best you've had. Then, you put them in. Not just to have another event on gameday. Hell, the thing is only 4-5 years old and they're going to have to reduce the font size...

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Jimmy gets in some day hopefully. Other than him and MJD, I don't think anybody else gets in for a while.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM by Jagsrockmysox25.)

Guys who are possibilities of ring of honor

1. Jimmy Smith

2. Tony Brackens

3. Marcus Stroud

4. John Henderson

5. Rashean Mathis

6. Donovan Darius

1 of those guys is a borderline hall of famer, brackens was a pro bowl defensive end and also the greatest jaguar defensive end in our history. Marcus Stroud and John Henderson were all pro defensive tackles combing 5 pro bowls and 5 all pro selections. They were the face of one of the most feared defenses in the league from 2003 to 2007. Arguably one of the greatest defensive tackle duos in nfl history. Rashean Mathis, was our best defensive back in jaguar history. Has the record for most interceptions, and in his prime was a shutdown corner. At one point arguably top 3 in the league. A local guy and fan favorite. He's at the bottom but definitely worth mentioning. Darius was a hard hitting well recognized player. He's worth mentioning.

These are guys who are worth the merit of being in the pride, fan favorites, great players who have left their mark in the league and jaguar history. Of those I mentioned, smith and brackens deserve to go. The other 4, uncertain. I really hope the DT make it. They wrote a big part of this team in the past era. Mathis probably not but he's worth mentioning. I'm sorry, Brad Meester, while a long tenured player, is not going into the pride of the jaguars. Good solid player, respected and a blue collar type player. He's no legend.

Quote:Ditka had his number retired the other night. Not the same thing.

As far as I can tell, the Bears don't have a ring of honor.

The Buccaneers have a Ring of Honor. It includes such legends as Paul Gruber and Jimmie Giles.

Mike Ditka was the 14th Bears player that had his jersey number retired.  Being that the Bears have been around since the early 1920's,  it's not surprising that they have a very impressive list of players that had their numbers retired:

http://www.chicagobears.com/tradition/un...story.html

Retired Numbers

The Bears have retired 13 jersey numbers, most in the NFL and two behind baseball's New York Yankees with 15. Both clubs are short of the NBA's Boston Celtics 21 retired numbers.

Bronko Nagurski, RB-T (1930-37; 43)

Sid Luckman, QB (1939-50)

George McAfee, RB-DB (1940-41; 45-50)

Dick Butkus, LB (1965-73)

George Halas, E (1920-29)

Bill Hewitt, E (1932-36)

Willie Galimore, RB (1957-63)

Bill George, LB (1952-65)

Walter Payton, RB (1975-87)

Clyde "Bulldog" Turner, C-LB (1940-52)

Gale Sayers, RB (1965-71)

Harold "Red" Grange, RB-DB (1925; 29-34)

Brian Piccolo, RB (1966-69)

Quote:Seahawks Ring of Honor includes their two Mark Brunells, Jim Zorn and Dave Kreig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sea...g_of_Honor

My take is that all of these QB's had a major impact on the early history of the respective franchises.  If they had the same career with teams that were around for a much longer time,  the road for them to get into the team ring of honor would have been noticeably more difficult.  Not impossible but far from a sure thing.

Quote:I didn't agree with the Brunell decision because he was gone longer than he was here playing for other teams, and when he was here, he was good, but not great.  He had flashes of occasional greatness, but once he lost his mobility, he became pretty average while he was here.  He had a couple of good years afterward, but those don't contribute to his history with the Jaguars. 

Boselli was a great Jaguar.

Fred Taylor was a great Jaguar.

The Weavers deserved their installation because they brought the team to Jacksonville.

Mark Brunell was good. Not great.  I think this decision was based on his popularity, AND it was a way to give the fans something to distract them during a down year while the team rebuilds. There are many fans who truly revere Mark, and that's fine.  I don't agree with him being in the ring, but I understand why it's being done. 
Agree with all of this.

That said, I do think I am in a vast minority in thinking that Jeff Lageman should be in the ring. He's the only one left that I would even consider.

The guy may be the greatest ambassador the Jags have. His portfolio of accomplishments, both on and off of the field here in Jacksonville is second to none. I don't care what anyone else thinks, he would have been my next name onto the ring.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

i think the the ring of honour should be a case of if you will instantly remember them in 20 years time

will people remember tony boselli in 20 years... yup

will people remember fred taylor in 20 years... yup

will i remember brad meester in 20 years, probably not. If he ever came up in conversation it would be as that guy that played... centre the one who played for ages... mister... no... ohhh i know this... meester

don't get me wrong, long serving jaguar and a credit in work ethic and longevity and for that i think he will find his way into the ring of honour.

I won't complain but i wouldn't be shouting for it either