Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Speculation: Brad Meester to Announce Retirement Next Week

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 02:38 AM by BoldCityDigital.)

According to Mark Long of the Associated Press...

[Image: kORLtsx.png]

Source: http://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/410869409574846464

[Image: 33yq44j.gif]

Keep in touch on Facebook: WE ARE JAGUARS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Probably for the best.. 

I thought the same when I read the "check with me next week" bit today around 3pm.  What he's done is nothing short of extraordinary.  The number of players that stay in the league as long as he has in very, very small in the modern era.  I don't know that he's "ring of honor worthy" or anything - but he'll always be a part of the team's legacy.  Regardless - it's time for an upgrade at center. 

Seems like a really solid guy and teammate by all accounts.  I wonder if he and his family will remain in Jax?

I think Brad Meester is the only Jaguar to play for all five head coaches. That is his legacy in Jacksonville, not anything he did on the field.

So we need to either draft a center in May or move Mike Brewster over.

Quote:I thought the same when I read the "check with me next week" bit today around 3pm. What he's done is nothing short of extraordinary. The number of players that stay in the league as long as he has in very, very small in the modern era. I don't know that he's "ring of honor worthy" or anything - but he'll always be a part of the team's legacy. Regardless - it's time for an upgrade at center.

Seems like a really solid guy and teammate by all accounts. I wonder if he and his family will remain in Jax?

It's also possible he simply meant he didn't know yet.

Thanks God he is retiring.

he was a great player, like a century ago.

and yes, he deserves to be inducted in the jags ring of honor.

finally a new center.

"it's only smellz"

- Rocco Siffredi

Quote:I thought the same when I read the "check with me next week" bit today around 3pm. What he's done is nothing short of extraordinary. The number of players that stay in the league as long as he has in very, very small in the modern era. I don't know that he's "ring of honor worthy" or anything - but he'll always be a part of the team's legacy. Regardless - it's time for an upgrade at center.

Seems like a really solid guy and teammate by all accounts. I wonder if he and his family will remain in Jax?

I heard an interview with him last year and he stated that him and his family are making a bee line to Iowa after he retires. Apparently he has land there that he farms and hunts on. They already spend off-season time there.

He's always been that solid and consistent playing O-lineman. But, it is time to move on. The Jag's ring of pride is an interesting debate for Meester. His duration in teal, community work, and fan admiration in general are his positive arguments; his lack of pro bowls or all star nods are his negative arguments.

I don't think there is any question that Meester goes into the Pride of the Jaguars.

He's been a stalwart on our offensive line for years, he has played the most games of any Jag. He's been such a huge part of the community as well.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I think Brad Meester is the only Jaguar to play for all five head coaches. That is his legacy in Jacksonville, not anything he did on the field.

So we need to either draft a center in May or move Mike Brewster over.

All five?

Huh

Quote:All five?

Mel tucker.

I can't wait to start making Meester on the tractor jokes.

@ apatel06: You know next season a Center will go down and we will call on "The Meester" with a bat signal just like we did with "The Bouman" .

Players like Meester find a way to hang around the organization. Im guessing he might get a minor assistant job working with the O-line. Especially if we draft a C with the idea of them being the future id like to see Meester working with the rook to get an idea for the work ethic , drive and preparation you need to remain in the league as a viable starter for as long as Meester did.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM by The Mad Dog.)

I assume he's finishing out the season, right?

Perfect timing. 

Enter Center Alex Mack via FA!!! :yes:

I still say that Meester looks like Barney Rubble from the Flintstones. 

I'm sorry - but putting Meester on the Pride would make our pride pretty much hilarious.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Seems like good timing. Announce it in advance and we can have a nice little ceremony during the titans game for him.

It's impressive that he played for so long, but it would be more so if he played well.

Meester has always been one of the good guys on the roster.  His play has certainly degraded in recent years, but as an ambassador for this team he's always been a true class act.  I sort of expected him to retire after this season.  He probably would have done so at the end of last year if the Jags hadn't offered him a 1 year deal.  He wants to go home to Iowa to raise his house full of daughters.  He's had a decent NFL career.  Ring worthy?  Not sure about that.  He played a lot of games.  I'm not sure duration makes someone worthy of being honored like that. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Meester has always been one of the good guys on the roster.  His play has certainly degraded in recent years, but as an ambassador for this team he's always been a true class act.  I sort of expected him to retire after this season.  He probably would have done so at the end of last year if the Jags hadn't offered him a 1 year deal.  He wants to go home to Iowa to raise his house full of daughters.  He's had a decent NFL career.  Ring worthy?  Not sure about that.  He played a lot of games.  I'm not sure duration makes someone worthy of being honored like that. 

Mark Brunell didn't really have a Jags career worthy enough either, yet they are inducting him soon. Is Brian Schwartz due in next year?

Quote:I assume he's finishing out the season, right?

Perfect timing. 

Enter Center Alex Mack via FA!!! :yes:

I still say that Meester looks like Barney Rubble from the Flintstones. 

Pay the man, if he's there, Unfortunately, I see no way the Cleveland lets go of him.

Meester was a good player for a while, but he's not worthy of being in the Ring of Honor. I was hestitent on Brunell being in there as it should really only be for Hall of Fame caliber players, of which Meester is not.