Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Interested in RE-Signing MJD

Quote:If Caldwell was smart, he'd be on the phone right now trying to expedite that process. Have you seen the Cardinals running game lately?? I mean....maybe he could get a 4th & a 5th... 
With your amazing football acumen, why don't you send your résumé for the GM position?

You certainly know the in's and out's...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If Caldwell was smart, he'd be on the phone right now trying to expedite that process. Have you seen the Cardinals running game lately?? I mean....maybe he could get a 4th & a 5th...

He could be on the phone with some teams. There's no way to know.

No thanks
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/10/17/4850186/jaguars-mjd-free-agent-contract-news'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/10/17/4850186/jaguars-mjd-free-agent-contract-news</a>

I'm not at all surprised by this. MJD will probably come cheap and as he gets more healthy, I think he can transition nicely into a role as a change of pace 3rd down back. If this is truly the teams plan, I would think they would be trying to limit his carries the rest of the way.

I know its a new owner but doesnt Jacksonville Jaguars owe it to Maurice Jones-Drew a player whom gave it his all, and for the most part still provides a 110% effort on the field & doesnt get into off field problems.  He is a positve role model whom speaks high of the jaguars.  Let us keep in mind that Running Backs have a short shelf life in the NFL so for the franchise's concern if its a top dollar resigning it should be for only two years.

Quote:I know its a new owner but doesnt Jacksonville Jaguars owe it to Maurice Jones-Drew a player whom gave it his all, and for the most part still provides a 110% effort on the field & doesnt get into off field problems.  He is a positve role model whom speaks high of the jaguars.  Let us keep in mind that Running Backs have a short shelf life in the NFL so for the franchise's concern if its a top dollar resigning it should be for only two years.

They owed Maurice Jones-Drew the 30 million dollars they have been paying him sine 2009. What else do they owe him exactly?

Nobody is trading for him. And I suppose when he isn't traded you can say "I guess Caldwell isn't smart". Right??

I'm sure you'll keep your ear to the ground and let us know when an offer is made.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

He'll be able to teach whichever UDFA RBs we add next season :yes:

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 02:07 PM by Unravel.)

Quote:Oh, I could too...and its the wrong decision. 
Posts like these are why I said your posts are more "Mr. Know It All" than "Rage Monster" in that FF stereotype thread.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that MJD's numbers are atrocious right now. That's going to make it hard to trade him, and it may very well reduce his market value enough to make it a valid option to keep him. This is, of course, unless another team thinks that he still has enough left in his tank to make it worthwhile to sign him.

A 4th and a 5th? 

LOL U KWAZY!

I can't imagine Caldwell would say straight out that he is not interested in resigning MJD during the season. That's just one way to create an unnecessarily awkward situation. Doesn't make much sense to me. 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

MJD is coming back from a very serious injury and has shown progress from game to game this year. Despite the general sentiment in this thread, 28 isn't the end of the road for a running back. He's probably got 2 more years in him as a feature back with a slightly lighter load than he's been handed over the last 3 years and a few years after that as a complimentary back. There is value still there for a team, even us. There is also long term value for a player playing out his career with one team. The local endorsement deal opportunities that someone would have after football in Jacksonville should not be discounted. Neither should the cost of living advantage compared to SoCal. If MJD sees this value, he may be interested in playing out his career here and maybe even at a hometown discount. Don't be so quick to run a guy out of town that has been a top tier player in this league and is of an age that would indicate he's got a few more years left. A 3 to 5 year deal with 1 year guaranteed and at the right price wouldn't be a bad move for any team interested in Maurice, even us.

Quote:MJD is coming back from a very serious injury and has shown progress from game to game this year. Despite the general sentiment in this thread, 28 isn't the end of the road for a running back. He's probably got 2 more years in him as a feature back with a slightly lighter load than he's been handed over the last 3 years and a few years after that as a complimentary back. There is value still there for a team, even us. There is also long term value for a player playing out his career with one team. The local endorsement deal opportunities that someone would have after football in Jacksonville should not be discounted. Neither should the cost of living advantage compared to SoCal. If MJD sees this value, he may be interested in playing out his career here and maybe even at a hometown discount. Don't be so quick to run a guy out of town that has been a top tier player in this league and is of an age that would indicate he's got a few more years left. A 3 to 5 year deal with 1 year guaranteed and at the right price wouldn't be a bad move for any team interested in Maurice, even us.

In March and when he enters free agency, MJD will be 29.  The knee, the foot, the age, and nearly 2,000 NFL touches (and 8 seasons) have had a cumulatively negative impact on his effectiveness as an NFL RB going forward.  I love MJD, but he has clearly lost a step (also evident prior to the latest foot injury).  I don't believe he has a few years left as a feature back, and no longer today consider him to be the top tier player he once was.  His coming situation reminds me of the decision with the Chargers and LaDainian Tomlinson.  Sometimes, you just have to move on, especially as a young rebuilding team, and let the future happen.         

Quote:MJD is coming back from a very serious injury and has shown progress from game to game this year. Despite the general sentiment in this thread, 28 isn't the end of the road for a running back. He's probably got 2 more years in him as a feature back with a slightly lighter load than he's been handed over the last 3 years and a few years after that as a complimentary back.

What are you basing this off of? There is plenty of precedent for showing that alot of running backs are done at 28/29. We see it now with Steven Jackson. In recent years we have seen it with Clinton Portis, Willie Parker, Edgerrin James and Michael Turner. MJD should just be glad he got that big second contract.

Quote:I think MOJO will test the market to see what it brings him... at this point in time in his career I think he wants to play for a team that has a good chance to make it deep into the play-offs... that might mean he would take less money to do so instead of staying with the Jags... they are headed into their second year of a rebuild and he will be a year older and time is running out on him...

All players want a chance to win/play in the Super Bowl and that might spell the end for the Jags and MOJO...

shag,    great point regarding MOJO reaching the point of his career that being part of a Super Bowl team very likely is at or near the top of his priority list.       It's something I overlooked when expressing my thoughts this morning.     

Assuming this is the case with MOJO: 

If the Jaguars want to retain him beyond 2013,    the team brass will have to convince MOJO that the team can realistically compete for a Super Bowl berth in 2015.       That probably will be at least a season before the Jaguars are ready to ascend to that high level,   even if the team makes great personnel decisions the next 2 years.       

Quote:All good points.  My hope would be that the teams who potentially could make a long run in the playoffs would not be in the market for a RB in free agency.  If his only option is a lateral move, in terms of pay and team performance, there might be a chance we can keep MJD for a cap friendly price. 

If MJD can make major strides in the 2nd half of the season in terms of getting back much closer to his pre-2012 level,   it's possible a team will see him as a key missing piece much like the Lions did with 28 year old Reggie Bush in this year's FA market.      However,   because MJD has plenty of wear and tear already,    I have significant doubts that he can have the type of 2nd half of the season that can noticeably raise his market value.     MJD is the type of competitor I don't want to underestimate.        But MJD has a tall order ahead of him.

Quote:shag,    great point regarding MOJO reaching the point of his career that being part of a Super Bowl team very likely is at or near the top of his priority list.       It's something I overlooked when expressing my thoughts this morning.     

Assuming this is the case with MOJO: 

If the Jaguars want to retain him beyond 2013,    the team brass will have to convince MOJO that the team can realistically compete for a Super Bowl berth in 2015.       That probably will be at least a season before the Jaguars are ready to ascend to that high level,   even if the team makes great personnel decisions the next 2 years.       

They better get him as stoned as a stunt smoker on take 20 in a Cheech and Chong movie to have a shot on him believing that.

<FONT size=4>Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?</FONT>