Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lageman says on Jaguars Today Show

Hold everything! Is this what I think it is?

[Image: unicorn1.jpg]

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

His coverage is very good but imo his ball tracking skills is his weakness, hopefully it improves with experience because he seems to be a pretty good cover corner.

[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

Quote:Colvin had pretty good position on the long TD...he stumbled st the very end but that pass wad borderline indefensible.

I thought he sorta took a sideline angle on a verticle receiver. He shoulda attacked the route less laterally and more verticle. I mean run along side the guy and keep a better defensive position
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:Colvin was step for step with Tate until he started tracking the ball.

Once he looked up, that's when Tate gained that extra separation that led to the TD.

Colvin will be fine, especially once he gets a pass rush in front of him.

exactly. or shall i say BULLSEYE!
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:I know that you didn't, and I wasn't directing anything specifically at you. I'm just tired of seeing all of the posts on here about how Joeckel is so "bad" based on people watching a broadcast feed. Some seem to forget that this is "technically" his second year at LT. He's going to make his mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Here is something for people to noodle for a bit. Was Tony Boselli great right out of the box?

I hope he does too. He doesn't have to be Boselli 2.0 for us to be successful. I know he was the #2 overall pick but I'll take an average starting LT at this point.

Quote:Colvin was step for step with Tate until he started tracking the ball.

Once he looked up, that's when Tate gained that extra separation that led to the TD.

Colvin will be fine, especially once he gets a pass rush in front of him.

This is how I viewed the play as well.   From a Lions perspective,  I was very pleased with the execution.  Especially,  considering that Aaron Colvin's coverage probably would have been good enough against most opponents.  

While it was a difficult play for Aaron Colvin to defend,  it's a good teaching tool for the Jags coaches to use with Colvin and the team's other CBs.   It's certainly much better for the Jags that the play occurred in the pre-season instead of when the games count in the standings.  

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015, 12:24 AM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:He said Aaron Colvin is hands down our best CB. Excited to see him play a full season.
He has really improved a lot now that he is healthy, he got burned by Tate on that TD though.

Quote:Anyone knocking Colvin for losing on one play where he had perfect coverage and was beaten by a perfectly thrown ball has no idea about the cornerback position. He was on Tate like glue and lost on a good ball from Stafford and an unavoidable human mistake.
Not every great corner has blazing speed on every play, in truth part of that TD was Sergio Brown's fault too.

Quote:Once again, after this "brilliant" (not) analysis I'll refer to my earlier post where I said that I would trust the analysis of a couple of veteran pro's that have access to actual game tape over someone on a message board that only watched a network feed.

Interesting that you say that "Colvin is still young so you expect some inconsistent play", yet you trash Joeckel who is technically in his second year at LT.

Go back and play your new Madden game now.
It doesn't mean he is right.

WHen you notice an offensive lineman it's a bad thing and it's clear as day to notice Joeckle "the Joke"  He got manhandled by old man Harrison @ pittsburgh and knocked on his bunghole against detroit.  This isn't even counting  the numerous times you see Joeckles man bull rush him to the QB.  Maybe it's possible Lageman is sipping the same koolaid you are on?  I think so.

Oh and stop using the same excuse "technically" his third year.  I'm tired of seeing you apologist throw that around.  This is his third year in the NFL and he looks like a baby playing against men.    Colvin has barely had a half of season with the Joke going into this third year.  Your a joke for even comparing the two.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015, 08:43 AM by MightyRx.)

Quote:Not every great corner has blazing speed on every play, in truth part of that TD was Sergio Brown's fault too.
No, it wasn't.

If Sergio bails in that direction, the receiver on the opposite side is wide open as he has ~3 steps on his defender...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:   This is how I viewed the play as well.   From a Lions perspective,  I was very pleased with the execution.  Especially,  considering that Aaron Colvin's coverage probably would have been good enough against most opponents.  

While it was a difficult play for Aaron Colvin to defend,  it's a good teaching tool for the Jags coaches to use with Colvin and the team's other CBs.   It's certainly much better for the Jags that the play occurred in the pre-season instead of when the games count in the standings.  
I guess the question then becomes (assuming our interpretations of that play are correct), is how does he not slow down-even ever so slightly when starting to track the ball?

How can that be corrected?

Did he track just a fraction of a second too soon?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I knew when Tate scored the td, there would be critique of colvin...

The positive of the play was that he was right there with Tate. The other thing is that he turned his head to locate the ball, this is also a positive sign. He got tripped up once he turned his head .. to me that is a technique thing that I would think is fixable with time and experience.

He's gonna be just fine.. McCray, colvin, house, with gratz as the back up is pretty formidable...

It's the run d and pass rush that is a concern for me right now

Quote:I knew when Tate scored the td, there would be critique of colvin...

The positive of the play was that he was right there with Tate. The other thing is that he turned his head to locate the ball, this is also a positive sign. He got tripped up once he turned his head .. to me that is a technique thing that I would think is fixable with time and experience.

He's gonna be just fine.. McCray, colvin, house, with gratz as the back up is pretty formidable...

It's the run d and pass rush that is a concern for me right now
Now I didn't notice that he tripped, only that he slowed when turning to track the ball.

If, in fact, he tripped slightly, I would feel even better about the play, all things considered.

I agree with you that he will be fine and that the pass rush and run defense are the big concerns defensively.

Quote:Now I didn't notice that he tripped, only that he slowed when turning to track the ball.

If, in fact, he tripped slightly, I would feel even better about the play, all things considered.

I agree with you that he will be fine and that the pass rush and run defense are the big concerns defensively.

I only watched the play a couple times on Friday, so I could be wrong...

But it seemed to me that his feet stumbled a little when he turned his head, tripped may be too strong a word...

Quote:I only watched the play a couple times on Friday, so I could be wrong...

But it seemed to me that his feet stumbled a little when he turned his head, tripped may be too strong a word...
I don't necessarily have issues with the wording you used.  To me, within context of the play, tripping slightly and stumbled a little would describe the same thing.

just trying to ascertain a root cause of what happened (i.e. a footing issue vs. a technique issue vs an ability issue).  If he stumbled a little, it isn't (I don't think) a technique issue.  Just falls under the category of stuff happens.

If he didn't stumble a little, then perhaps it is a matter of technique or ability.

I think the fact that he turned his head shows his improved technique. The stumble I noticed was something that I think gets corrected with more experience...

Note I'm not a pro cb, but I have a feeling it takes time to learn how to run full speed and the turn your head to locate an object behind you.

I think colvin will get better at that as the season progresses. His ability to be in tate's pocket right up to that point is very encouraging

Quote:I think the fact that he turned his head shows his improved technique. The stumble I noticed was something that I think gets corrected with more experience...

Note I'm not a pro cb, but I have a feeling it takes time to learn how to run full speed and the turn your head to locate an object behind you.

I think colvin will get better at that as the season progresses. His ability to be in tate's pocket right up to that point is very encouraging
This.... I mean... you guys ever play yard ball? Turn to find a bomb and trip and fall? 

Muscle memory eventually helps prevent this... strength, balance... 

I'm sure he'll be fine it isn't like he's tripping and falling a lot.

House got beat deep similarly early in preseason (where to me it looked like House slipped/tripped a bit breaking deep)

Where are the picks?  Top flight corners are thieves...  

Looked to me like Colvin was expecting a back shoulder throw and Tate was quick enough to take advantage of Colvin expecting that. That was a great play by both Stafford and Tate, i can't really blame Colvin on that one.