Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags #3. Finally getting some respect

Anger is easily Gene's best selection

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I would say Anger is a good player at his position, Brandon Marshall certainly looks to be a good LB as of now, and Branch is a decent NFL player.

I said Anger is good, but he's a punter taken in the third round, so it was still a bad pick. Brandon Marshall doesn't even play for the Jaguars and Branch is a guy that would likely be cut if he played for a team with a top half of the league roster.

Pendleton still play for da boyz? BTW. At, this point, unlessin that there "Blackmon" kid comes back and reserects his career, that class is putrid.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:I said Anger is good, but he's a punter taken in the third round, so it was still a bad pick. Brandon Marshall doesn't even play for the Jaguars and Branch is a guy that would likely be cut if he played for a team with a top half of the league roster.

Marshall not being on the current roster has nothing to do with the topic. That's like saying Peyton Manning wasn't a good draft pick because he's not currently on the Colts roster. Marshall is a good player, and he was part of that draft class.

No matter how you slice it, three productive players from a draft class should not be a top 5 bad class. As multiple people in this thread have said, its not even the Jaguars worst class over the last 10 years, let alone the rest of the league.

Quote:Marshall not being on the current roster has nothing to do with the topic. That's like saying Peyton Manning wasn't a good draft pick because he's not currently on the Colts roster. Marshall is a good player, and he was part of that draft class.

No matter how you slice it, three productive players from a draft class should not be a top 5 bad class. As multiple people in this thread have said, its not even the Jaguars worst class over the last 10 years, let alone the rest of the league.

The difference between Manning and Marshall is that the clots got something out of the pick.  We got nothing.  That's what makes it a bad draft pick for us.

One of these years.............

Quote:I thought the Derrick Harvey draft was the worst, 2008.

1 8 8 Derrick Harvey Defensive End Florida

2 21 52 Quentin Groves Defensive End Auburn

5 20 155 Thomas Williams Linebacker USC

5 24 159 Trae Williams Cornerback USF

7 6 213 Chauncey Washington Running back USC

JUST

Historically bad draft.  Huge lose of value trading up too.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Marshall not being on the current roster has nothing to do with the topic. That's like saying Peyton Manning wasn't a good draft pick because he's not currently on the Colts roster. Marshall is a good player, and he was part of that draft class.

Of course Marshall not being on the roster has something to do with it, the draft has literally gotten the Jaguars a good punter and a mediocre backup level defensive end! Plus Marshall is just a role player on a team full of great players, especially pass rushers. He's irrelevant. I agree that it's not the Jaguars worst draft class, 2008, 2011, and 2010 in that order were probably the worst, but 2012 was still a class that literally got the Jaguars nothing of note except for a WR who is more interested in getting so drunk he can't see and smoking dope than lacing up a pair of cleats.

Quote:The difference between Manning and Marshall is that the clots got something out of the pick.  We got nothing.  That's what makes it a bad draft pick for us.

I disagree. The draft pick was good.

The decision to not keep him on the roster was bad.

It's two wholly separate issues to me. I'm surprised more people don't see it this way.

Quote:Of course Marshall not being on the roster has something to do with it, the draft has literally gotten the Jaguars a good punter and a mediocre backup level defensive end! Plus Marshall is just a role player on a team full of great players, especially pass rushers. He's irrelevant. I agree that it's not the Jaguars worst draft class, 2008, 2011, and 2010 in that order were probably the worst, but 2012 was still a class that literally got the Jaguars nothing of note except for a WR who is more interested in getting so drunk he can't see and smoking dope than lacing up a pair of cleats.

Ok... So you agree it's not as bad as 3 other Jaguars classes in the last 10 years. So you're arguing with me for what purpose then? I didn't say the class was good, I said it wasn't THAT bad in the context of Top 5 league wide over the last decade.

It's barely in the Top 5 of bad Jaguar draft classes in the last decade.

Quote:Ok... So you agree it's not as bad as 3 other Jaguars classes in the last 10 years. So you're arguing with me for what purpose then? I didn't say the class was good, I said it wasn't THAT bad in the context of Top 5 league wide over the last decade.

It's barely in the Top 5 of bad Jaguar draft classes in the last decade.

I think of you compiled the top 25 worst drafts of the last decade the jaguars would have four of the classes listed in it. Sure there are other bad ones, and the Jaguars have done even worse, quite the indictment of Gene Smith, just by the laws of averages he should have had a least one better than average draft but it was all stinkers.

I do agree that the Jaguars 2012 draft wasn't their worst, and it doesn't merit being listed as notable above the others, but it was a terrible draft class standing on its own, and would still likely rank as one of the 25 worst of the last decade considering that the jaguars were picking in the top 10 of every round.

Quote:I think of you compiled the top 25 worst drafts of the last decade the jaguars would have four of the classes listed in it. Sure there are other bad ones, and the Jaguars have done even worse, quite the indictment of Gene Smith, just by the laws of averages he should have had a least one better than average draft but it was all stinkers.

I do agree that the Jaguars 2012 draft wasn't their worst, and it doesn't merit being listed as notable above the others, but it was a terrible draft class standing on its own, and would still likely rank as one of the 25 worst of the last decade considering that the jaguars were picking in the top 10 of every round.

Ok fair enough. I think the difference here is that you see Marshall as a wasted pick and I see him as a good pick who they mistakenly cut too soon. That's two separate issues in my mind. Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

I think we can both agree on being happy Gene Smith is nowhere near this team anymore haha.

Quote:I thought the Derrick Harvey draft was the worst, 2008.

1 8 8 Derrick Harvey Defensive End Florida

2 21 52 Quentin Groves Defensive End Auburn

5 20 155 Thomas Williams Linebacker USC

5 24 159 Trae Williams Cornerback USF

7 6 213 Chauncey Washington Running back USC

JUST
It's between that and 2010. I'd vote for 2008 for a couple of reasons. One, Austen Lane was a decent rotational end for a few years. Two, Tyson Alualu has been an ok player throughout his career. It's not his fault that Gene drafted him a full round earlier than he should have.

2008, on the other hand, had virtually zero contributions from any of the guys drafted. Harvey and Groves were complete, miserable failures (although Groves has wound up becoming a solid player--yet another case of the Jags giving up on someone too soon), and none of the remaining three amounted to much of anything.

Quote:When I think about it, has there been a worse draft ever, in the history of football, than our 2008 draft? I can't imagine so.
A couple come to mind, more because of the mind-boggling decisions made during them than anything else:

San Diego 1998: They gave up a king's ransom for Ryan Leaf, and he ended up being, at best, the second-biggest draft bust ever. Compounding matters, the only player they got much of anything out of was second-rounder Mikhael Ricks, who spent three unremarkable years in San Diego before bouncing around the league between receiver and tight end for a few more years. The Chargers got virtually nothing out of their 1998 draft, and they gave up a lot to accomplish that.

New Orleans 1999: The year that Mike Ditka famously gave up his entire draft--and then some--to move up two picks and take Ricky Williams. Williams never achieved close to what was expected of him, and this move was one of the things that would end up costing Ditka his job. Two things save this pick from being arguably the worst ever. One, Williams was a decent running back during his three years in New Orleans. Two, when the new Saints regime decided to move on from him, they shipped him off to Miami in exchange for a pair of first-round draft picks, thus getting back a healthy chunk of what they'd spent on him. There have been far, far bigger busts, but no one off the top of my head that a team has given up its entire draft plus picks from the next year to get.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2015, 01:24 PM by RicoTx.)

Groves has been 'solid'? When? Where?

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Groves has been 'solid'? When? Where?
He's been a decent rotational player throughout his career. How else would he still be around?

Quote:He's been a decent rotational player throughout his career. How else would he still be around?

There are always horrible players that hang on as depth for a paycheck. You've already dropped him from solid to decent, and I think that is being pretty generous.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Actually, this is a good thing.  2012 gave us a whole new regime in 2013.
Do you ever get dizzy trying to spin every single thing into a positive post?