Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags have worst roster, per PFF and ESPN

Quote:I thought we had at least a decent roster, but all the analysts and experts (professionals who do this as a job) seem to think otherwise. They have also been right the past 8 years now. No reason to doubt them given the Jaguars track record...its going to be (another) long season it looks like.
The bolded made me laugh!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jags...Bottom, middle, or top 1/3 position group in league (now or most recent, not what they may become)....

QB- bottom

RB- bottom

WR- bottom

TE- top

OL- bottom

ST- middle

DL- middle

LB- bottom

CB- middle

DS- bottom

Of 10 groupings: 6 bottom, 3 middle, and 1 top.  With hoped development, this 1/3 measurement review could change significantly.  However, today, it is likely one of the worst in the league.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 11:16 PM by Bullseye.)

Not sure what to make of this. 

Our draft the past two years have been universally lauded.  I don't see how we could have two back to back good to great drafts and still have the worst roster in the league.

Seems to me one of four possibilities-perhaps some combination:

1.  The experts were wrong about our drafts.

2.  The experts forgot about our drafts when writing their analysis.

3.  The experts are wrong about our roster now.

4.  The talent was so lacking, that even two good drafts can't overcome it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Pretty much this. /thread

The only team I ever saw tank was Indy for luck.

Quote:Not sure what to make of this. 

Our draft the past two years have been universally lauded.  I don't see how we could have two back to back good to great drafts and still have the worst roster in the league.

5) They think our coaching is abysmal.

Quote:Not sure what to make of this. 

You're putting way too much thought into this. 

Ultimately, these "experts" (you're being generous by labeling them as such, but I'll go with it) are simply lazy.  That allows them to laud the drafts and other personnel moves made by the team, but then completely shelf that and focus strictly on the records the past couple of years.  They don't care about any tangible improvements the team has made, and they're not going to spend their time researching a team that has a media market that doesn't register on their radar. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:5) They think our coaching is abysmal.
I would think coaching is a separate and distinct issue from the roster, unless they maintain that Bradley and company suck at developing talent.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 07:37 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:You're putting way too much thought into this. 

Ultimately, these "experts" (you're being generous by labeling them as such, but I'll go with it) are simply lazy.  That allows them to laud the drafts and other personnel moves made by the team, but then completely shelf that and focus strictly on the records the past couple of years.  They don't care about any tangible improvements the team has made, and they're not going to spend their time researching a team that has a media market that doesn't register on their radar. 
Probably right here.

I guess I set my cynicism aside for the moment.

Nevertheless, I look forward to this team proving the media hacks wrong about this team being among the worst in football.

Goodness knows the team has proven them right over the last 3 years.  SMH.

P.S.-Just read the USAToday Pro Football Preview.

Jacksonville is 22nd in their Preseason Power Rankings, two spots below the Texans, a spot below the Jets, a spot above the Giants, surprisingly TWO spots above Kansas City, and nine spots above the tacks, who rank as the second worst team in the league behind Chicago.

They predict we will finish 7-9.

Quote:You're putting way too much thought into this. 

PFF typically does not show bias and certainly is not lazy if you look at their analysis of all 32 teams. They are not speculating on future improvement. They base their analysis on the most recent play of players, player groups, and therefore teams. PFF is primarily about researching players and teams, not anything media related. As I have said before, I do believe we are better than last year and I do strongly support Gus, Dave, and Shad however Jags have only added a handful of PROVEN NFL starters. IMO I believe we are only marginally better but I will continue to be in the stands on Sundays hoping like I have been for 18 years. GO JAGS

At best they are 29-30th. At that point it becomes subjective. Got to face reality. Until the team proves otherwise on the field last is about where they should rank

Interesting comment from DiRocco on the PFF ranking when asked about it in his ESPN blog/mailbag:

Quote:@ESPNdirocco: In case anyone missed what he's talking about, Pro Football Focus ranked the rosters[Image: in.gif] by talent and the Jaguars came in last for the second year in a row. PFF ranked the Jaguars last because of Blake Bortles' poor play in 2014 and the fact that Luke Joeckel and Johnathan Cyprien have yet to become franchise cornerstones. I know that quarterbacks carry a lot of weight in the rankings, which they should, and that Derek Carr had a much better rookie season than Bortles but I would rather have the Jaguars' roster than the Oakland Raiders' roster. I'd take the Jaguars' roster over Tennessee's roster, too, and could make the argument that they should be ranked ahead of Tampa Bay, as well.

I agree.  

I can't blame anyone for ranking the Jags roster at or near the bottom - because many new additions are either unproven or playing in a new offense.  And the growth of 2nd and 3rd year expected by fans is no guarantee. 

I do, however, have confidence this team will end the season closer to the middle of the pack than the bottom. 

Until we actually play a game.....whatever.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I mean whether we get ranked last or 3rd to last, being at the bottom 3rd is all the same.

Quote:I like our core group of young guys. And I think the reviewer was WAY too harsh on Bortles. He wasn't even supposed to play last year.

Most outside of Jacksonville are. You see, what we don't tend to realize as fans is that Blake actually had the worst stats last year among full-time starters at QB. What outside NFL fans don't tend to realize is anything else, as in what we witnessed watching him play. The bottom line is we don't care about his stats last year because watching him play we realize he has "it." Blake has what it takes to get the job done provided the rest of the roster is up to the task.

'02

Quote:Haven't seen this anywhere else on this forum yet. But it's interesting to note that Pro Football Focus and ESPN have now somewhat classified the Jags as the bottom of the barrel in talent. Link below has the video link to ESPN.

http://blackandteal.com/2015/06/10/jagua...all-focus/

I disagree with their assesment but until it results in wins on the field, the medium (media) will continue to state all the things wrong with the Jacksonville Jaguars instead of the positive things.

Nah... once Blackmon comes back, we'll have top 5.  :whistling:

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Nah... once Blackmon comes back, we'll have top 5.  :whistling:

I seriously forgot about that dude. Wow.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend