Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dwayne Haskins (MERGED)

(02-19-2019, 04:04 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks guys, that makes sense. Again, I wasn't being sarcastic when I made that reply, just was curious on your thoughts. I know it can be hard to read a person's writing online so wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't coming across wrong Smile
No worries dude.

There are a fair amount of people who believe the Jags shouldn't take Haskins because he went to OSU. Same people probably didn't like ARob because he went to Penn State or Mayfield because he went to OU.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-19-2019, 04:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 04:04 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks guys, that makes sense. Again, I wasn't being sarcastic when I made that reply, just was curious on your thoughts. I know it can be hard to read a person's writing online so wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't coming across wrong Smile
No worries dude.

There are a fair amount of people who believe the Jags shouldn't take Haskins because he went to OSU. Same people probably didn't like ARob because he went to Penn State or Mayfield because he went to OU.

You forgot about the Gators. Everyone hates when we draft UF players.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

If they draft Haskins, the plan should be to mold him to be an updated Warren Moon. He is virtually the same build and size. The motion is already close to it, but needs some work to improve accuracy. Moon definitely had a stronger arm, but he had lot more experience by the time he got to the NFL. Moon was great, but streaky and very much a rhythm passer who relied on run and shoot principles to get the ball out quickly. I think that is exactly the knocks on Haskins - he is streaky, and good pre-read but limited with pressure and when he holds on the ball. No idea if he could become that guy, but that is what the goal should be.

(02-19-2019, 09:16 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: If they draft Haskins, the plan should be to mold him to be an updated Warren Moon. He is virtually the same build and size. The motion is already close to it, but needs some work to improve accuracy. Moon definitely had a stronger arm, but he had lot more experience by the time he got to the NFL. Moon was great, but streaky and very much a rhythm passer who relied on run and shoot principles to get the ball out quickly. I think that is exactly the knocks on Haskins - he is streaky, and good pre-read but limited with pressure and when he holds on the ball. No idea if he could become that guy, but that is what the goal should be.

That would be great. I loved Warren Moon. I do think Haskins has the potential to be even better though.

(02-19-2019, 09:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:16 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: If they draft Haskins, the plan should be to mold him to be an updated Warren Moon. He is virtually the same build and size. The motion is already close to it, but needs some work to improve accuracy. Moon definitely had a stronger arm, but he had lot more experience by the time he got to the NFL. Moon was great, but streaky and very much a rhythm passer who relied on run and shoot principles to get the ball out quickly. I think that is exactly the knocks on Haskins - he is streaky, and good pre-read but limited with pressure and when he holds on the ball. No idea if he could become that guy, but that is what the goal should be.

That would be great. I loved Warren Moon. I do think Haskins has the potential to be even better though.

Lol, so you dismiss Murray as a bust, yet you're completely sold on Haskins? Man. Your posts make me cringe. Why is everybody so sold on Haskins? Is it because he has the arm? or the size? It's funny, those 2 actually don't end up mattering much as an NFL QB in today's game. As a matter of fact, the tallest Qbs are the worst ( Winston, Flacco, Bortles , Osweiller). What is it that has everyone sold on this cat? I've watched tape. The only throws I've seen this guy make are 60 yard Go routes to the endzone. Haven't seen a touch pass from him yet. Haven't seen him make ANY intermediate throws. THOSE are the types of throws you need to be able to make in the NFL. Not 65 yard bombs. Guys aren't gonna be wide open, especially not our guys. We have the oppurtunity to either rake a gamble with a wildcard like Murray, who could either be terrible or amazing, or we could go for the same ol, draft a QB because he has an arm and the size (and nothing else, AKA Blake Bortles/Jameis Winston 2.0) And on top  of that, you have the audacity to compare him to WARREN MOON?? brother.. I don't know what you've been smoking but it sounds like really good stuff.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019, 11:00 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

Great size, big arm, decent athletic ability but that's it. From what I've seen he lacks touch and doesn't posses the ability to make the tough intermediate throws. There's a reason all of his highlights are 60 yard bombs on go routes. Do you guys really not learn? size and arm strength are nice features but they aren't mandatory. Some of the best QBs in the league right now only posses one or neither ( Wilson, Mayfield, Brees, etc.) Compare them to the towering QBs with cannons (Flacco, Winston, Osweiler, Bortles). Now I'm not saying that our guy can't be tall and/or have a big arm. All I'm saying is that you guys are being a little shallow here. I personally say we roll the dice with Murray, however I understand the argument against that. I'm tired of seeing posts co-signing this Haskins kid just because of a couple of tangibles. There's a lot more to it.

(02-19-2019, 11:04 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-n8troSSIhU

lol. I almost prefer this over your inevitable inept attempt at a rebuttal

You should watch the full games instead of highlights. He has the best precision and touch out of all the QBs
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(02-19-2019, 10:49 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be great. I loved Warren Moon. I do think Haskins has the potential to be even better though.

Lol, so you dismiss Murray as a bust, yet you're completely sold on Haskins? Man. Your posts make me cringe. Why is everybody so sold on Haskins? Is it because he has the arm? or the size? It's funny, those 2 actually don't end up mattering much as an NFL QB in today's game. As a matter of fact, the tallest Qbs are the worst ( Winston, Flacco, Bortles , Osweiller). What is it that has everyone sold on this cat? I've watched tape. The only throws I've seen this guy make are 60 yard Go routes to the endzone. Haven't seen a touch pass from him yet. Haven't seen him make ANY intermediate throws. THOSE are the types of throws you need to be able to make in the NFL. Not 65 yard bombs. Guys aren't gonna be wide open, especially not our guys. We have the oppurtunity to either rake a gamble with a wildcard like Murray, who could either be terrible or amazing, or we could go for the same ol, draft a QB because he has an arm and the size (and nothing else, AKA Blake Bortles/Jameis Winston 2.0) And on top  of that, you have the audacity to compare him to WARREN MOON?? brother.. I don't know what you've been smoking but it sounds like really good stuff.

1. Watch film breakdowns of the first half of season instead of highlights of the last 3 games. There are more intermediate and short throws there than bombs. He is actually inconsistent on deep throws because of his mechanics.

2. I don't dismiss Murray as a bust. I just think he is a bigger risk. I actually think he has a higher ceiling, but the chances of him getting there are much smaller. Building a team, you can take some risks, but you cannot bank on the 100% ceiling. I think Haskins is safer. 

3. Haskins actually doesn't have a great pure throwing arm, just the size. He requires his mechanics to get accuracy. Murray has a better arm allowing him to be better at touch passes and accuracy. But Murray's size makes me worried if he can get the velocity needed in the phone booth or getting hit because he seems to need his full motion to get zip on the ball. 

4. Read my posts again. I didn't compare Haskins saying he is Moon. I compared his build and some of his characteristics to Moon, and said that is the goal a team should trying to get to be.  I even said I "I have no idea if he can become that guy, but that should be the goal." I mean he has trouble trusting his arm at times early last season. If doesn't trust that, he will be no better than check-down master a la Chad Henne. You don't draft a QB without knowing a model of what he can be, or else you end up trying to fit round pegs into square holes.

(02-19-2019, 10:49 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be great. I loved Warren Moon. I do think Haskins has the potential to be even better though.

Just about every major sports publication, football show and draft guru has Haskins ranked ahead of Murray, so who's the fool for favoring Haskins? Hmmmmm........

Personally every single quarterback in this draft doesn't thrill me. If I had to take one, it would be Haskins but that's only because he's the best of a not-so-good bunch.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 08:54 AM by RicoTx.)

(02-19-2019, 10:57 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Great size, big arm, decent athletic ability but that's it. From what I've seen he lacks touch and doesn't posses the ability to make the tough intermediate throws. There's a reason all of his highlights are 60 yard bombs on go routes. Do you guys really not learn? size and arm strength are nice features but they aren't mandatory. Some of the best QBs in the league right now only posses one or neither ( Wilson, Mayfield, Brees, etc.) Compare them to the towering QBs with cannons (Flacco, Winston, Osweiler, Bortles). Now I'm not saying that our guy can't be tall and/or have a big arm. All I'm saying is that you guys are being a little shallow here. I personally say we roll the dice with Murray, however I understand the argument against that. I'm tired of seeing posts co-signing this Haskins kid just because of a couple of tangibles. There's a lot more to it.

It cracks me up that you try to make a point by mentioning these QBs in more than one thread where you conveniently ignore Roethliesberger, Ryan ,Goff, Brady, Luck, Rivers, Wentz and others who are all 6'4" or taller.

And Mayfield...'one of the best in the league'?  Really?  After one pretty good year?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-19-2019, 10:57 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Great size, big arm, decent athletic ability but that's it. From what I've seen he lacks touch and doesn't posses the ability to make the tough intermediate throws. There's a reason all of his highlights are 60 yard bombs on go routes. Do you guys really not learn? size and arm strength are nice features but they aren't mandatory. Some of the best QBs in the league right now only posses one or neither ( Wilson, Mayfield, Brees, etc.) Compare them to the towering QBs with cannons (Flacco, Winston, Osweiler, Bortles). Now I'm not saying that our guy can't be tall and/or have a big arm. All I'm saying is that you guys are being a little shallow here. I personally say we roll the dice with Murray, however I understand the argument against that. I'm tired of seeing posts co-signing this Haskins kid just because of a couple of tangibles. There's a lot more to it.

You mean like reading a defense and anticipating when and where to throw the ball?
Have you watched the video with Haskins and DiNardo?  His football IQ and pocket awareness are off the chain.  It's those intangibles that impress the heck out of me.

And this thread will be merged soon.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-20-2019, 08:19 AM)Rico Wrote: Personally every single quarterback in this draft doesn't thrill me.  If I had to take one, it would be Haskins but that's only because he's the best of a not-so-good bunch.
Haskins football IQ is off the charts. He makes so many reads presnap and he’s only had 1 season as a starter. Look up EZlazar on twitter. He’s got a great little thread about Haskins reading the coverages and making throws. I think that’s what sets Haskins apart from not only this class but just about every QB in the class last year.

(02-20-2019, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 08:19 AM)Rico Wrote: Personally every single quarterback in this draft doesn't thrill me.  If I had to take one, it would be Haskins but that's only because he's the best of a not-so-good bunch.
Haskins football IQ is off the charts. He makes so many reads presnap and he’s only had 1 season as a starter. Look up EZlazar on twitter. He’s got a great little thread about Haskins reading the coverages and making throws. I think that’s what sets Haskins apart from not only this class but just about every QB in the class last year.

Not going to deny he has talent but saying football IQ is off the charts is a little exaggerated. I've seen those twitter clips and each example is a basic coverage read. It was QB 101 from pop warner. What I do take away from it is he really trusts his eyes and doesn't mind taking the risk by throwing into tight windows or what should be open zones. He has decent anticipation but it remains to be seen if that translates to the NFL where he will play better, disquised defense far superior to Washington Huskies meh defense.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(02-20-2019, 11:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Haskins football IQ is off the charts. He makes so many reads presnap and he’s only had 1 season as a starter. Look up EZlazar on twitter. He’s got a great little thread about Haskins reading the coverages and making throws. I think that’s what sets Haskins apart from not only this class but just about every QB in the class last year.

Not going to deny he has talent but saying football IQ is off the charts is a little exaggerated. I've seen those twitter clips and each example is a basic coverage read. It was QB 101 from pop warner. What I do take away from it is he really trusts his eyes and doesn't mind taking the risk by throwing into tight windows or what should be open zones. He has decent anticipation but it remains to be seen if that translates to the NFL where he will play better, disquised defense far superior to Washington Huskies meh defense.

The Huskies thats 12th in the country in defense and has multiple NFL players on it? In what world is that a meh college defense?

telling on yourself

What have you watched that indicates he lacks touch and can't make intermediate passes?

(02-20-2019, 11:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Haskins football IQ is off the charts. He makes so many reads presnap and he’s only had 1 season as a starter. Look up EZlazar on twitter. He’s got a great little thread about Haskins reading the coverages and making throws. I think that’s what sets Haskins apart from not only this class but just about every QB in the class last year.

Well it remains to be seen if any prospect can do anything against NFL defenses. That has nothing to do with the point.

All you can do is project how players will translate and what Haskins is doing presnap translates well to the NFL. The defenses will get better but... so can Haskins.

(02-20-2019, 09:07 AM)copycat Wrote:

You mean like reading a defense and anticipating when and where to throw the ball?
Have you watched the video with Haskins and DiNardo?  His football IQ and pocket awareness are off the chain.  It's those intangibles that impress the heck out of me.

And this thread will be merged soon.

Agreed.  I've watched a few of his breakdowns, and the kid just has a great grasp of the game, and a feel for the position that we haven't seen here since probably Brunell.  

Watch this breakdown of the Michigan game, and where his head was at in the pocket.  A lot of that can't be taught.  It's just instinctual.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]