Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

(12-05-2017, 12:58 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I bet we can get away with less than $15 million for Bortles. Maybe $10 to $13 million. That would double his current salary, and it'd put him around the QBs that match his skill level. I think even Bortles knows he isn't worth a huge contract. It's so hard to guess since they've thrown a lot of money at certain QBs that aren't worth a damn, but that's usually a team trying to lock up the next sure thing. We already know what we have in Bortles. I'm guessing a 3-year, $40 million contract so that we can develop a new QB.

$30 million would put Cousins $3 million ahead of Stafford. I'm hoping for $25 million, releasing Bortles and Dareus.

I don't think Bortles would get significantly less than Glennon got. As below average as Blake is he's not worse than that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2017, 02:04 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 12:58 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I bet we can get away with less than $15 million for Bortles. Maybe $10 to $13 million. That would double his current salary, and it'd put him around the QBs that match his skill level. I think even Bortles knows he isn't worth a huge contract. It's so hard to guess since they've thrown a lot of money at certain QBs that aren't worth a damn, but that's usually a team trying to lock up the next sure thing. We already know what we have in Bortles. I'm guessing a 3-year, $40 million contract so that we can develop a new QB.

$30 million would put Cousins $3 million ahead of Stafford. I'm hoping for $25 million, releasing Bortles and Dareus.

I don't think Bortles would get significantly less than Glennon got. As below average as Blake is he's not worse than that.

I guess it depends on the argument.

Glennon got way more than he deserved, but they were paying for the chance he'd be good. If I were the Jaguars, I'd say that even though Bortles is better than Glennon, he doesn't deserve Glennon's money because Glennon got paid like a good QB.

Who knows? Every one is getting paid in today's NFL anyway.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 07:18 AM by Achilles.)

(12-04-2017, 04:35 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 09:36 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 7 losses? And you call yourself a Jags fan.

Blake would have single handily lost us the Chargers game had the defense not bailed him out. He was terrible against the Jets and Titans. He was useless against the Steelers. He threw an atrocious interception last week against the Cardinals. 

Good Blake shows up, Jags are almost unbeatable. Bad Blake shows up and the defense has to scored TDs for the team to win. The Jags won't be playing the Colts or any defense like that in the playoffs.

Thanks for catching that mistake Cleatwood. I know we have only lost four games, but was thinking ahead to the end of the season.

In Pittsburgh, Leonard Fournette was on fire and the defense scored twice, so Doug Marrone had no reason to call more than 14 passes. Blake Bortles was just playing the game manager role, not making mistakes. What more do you want him to do when #27 is statistically having a good day?

Against the Jets, you can't blame Bortles for Marqise Lee dropping a ball when he could not have been more wide open in OT or Jason Myers missing a FG in regulation. Yes, it was bad for Bortles, but anyone who watched that game would say it was all Lee's fault.

This is funny because if you look over on the clots board, j dub is criticizing bortles saying he didn't have a good performance and threw too many short passes to fournette. The clots forum members come and defend Blake. Now here she's defending Blake. A consummate troll.

(12-04-2017, 10:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 09:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I can see the team drafting a QB this next off-season.  I just don't see the team trading up to get one.

As I said before, I also don't see the team just cutting Bortles.  I would almost guarantee that every other team would consider offering him a contract of some kind... even if it was for a backup position.  Put it this way, the Jaguars were able to trade Blaine Gabbert and look at him now.  At this point in his young career Blake Bortles is the same type of QB.  The thing is, the team has had success this season with him as the starter.

Will he ever be a "franchise" QB?  Who knows?  I do know this though, his career is far from over.

If I had to guess, I would bet that Chad Henne ends up retiring and a new QB is drafted this next off-season to develop.  Blake Bortles will get some kind of contract to remain as the starter.

The only caveat that I see in this situation is that there is a lot of speculation regarding Eli Manning.  Would he really be an upgrade over Bortles?  Who knows?  Is he really going to be available?  Again, who really knows?  And at what cost?

I'm by no means a Blake Bortles homer, but looking at the situation realistically, I don't see the team making a drastic change.
Blake at 20 million or Cousins for 25?

I’d like Cousins.

I'm with you here. If Blake winds up staying consistent and doesn't lay an egg in the next few games, takes us to the playoffs and even has a safe, average game, I could see us possibly restructuring his deal and keeping him around for a couple seasons with a young QB waiting in the wings. 

If it comes down to taking that 5th year option or signing cousins for a little more money, I'd take cousins all day.

We could do a lot worse than Blake though, and it seems he has room to grow. It was the clots so I'm not going to get carried away, but Blake looked sharp. His throws were more accurate than normal. He seems to be starting to put it all together. 

Gonna have to ride out the season and just see what happens.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM by Caldrac.)

Bortles has done enough this year to where his extension or option being picked up is now justified. He's won us a few games really on his own when the running game was really non existent or kind of a no show. And I am not trying to make too many excuses for him. But we all know how lack luster the receivers have been this year. Robinson - OUT. Hurns - IN/OUT. Lee - IN/DROPS. Cole - ROOKIE/DROPS. Westbrook ROOKIE OUT 1/2 SEASON/IN. Greene - IR. Mickens - STREET PICK UP/ST. Benn - ST ACE.

Fournette has been in and out whether it was due to injury or violations. And despite the commendable play along the offensive line. He's had to play with two or three different centers this year. He's had a different LT, a different LG, RG and RT all out there at some point throughout the course of the year.

Hate him or love him. This team doesn't have an 8 - 4 record right now without him showing some level or degree of consistency or competence in 2017. You can go back and look at the NYJ and ARZ losses too. You can make a very strong and compelling argument that had a few receivers stepped up and made crucial catches in critical down and distances that this team is 10 - 2 right now.

Cole dropped some great passes in that ARZ loss earlier on. Ultimately could have been the difference to where we're not driving to win in the 4th quarter. Look back at the Jets game. Benn gets flagged for holding on a Fournette TD catch. We go to OT and then Lee manages to drop a perfect pass that would have set us up for the go ahead FG win with a chip shot.

So just keep that in mind. His real test will come in the play-offs though. Maybe he pulls a Joe Flacco or Eli Manning in the play-offs and all of a sudden he's an elite passer throwing the ball all over the place to no names at the receiver position. It can happen.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-05-2017, 07:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Bortles has done enough this year to where his extension or option being picked up is now justified. He's won us a few games really on his own when the running game was really non existent or kind of a no show. And I am not trying to make too many excuses for him. But we all know how lack luster the receivers have been this year. Robinson - OUT. Hurns - IN/OUT. Lee - IN/DROPS. Cole - ROOKIE/DROPS. Westbrook ROOKIE OUT 1/2 SEASON/IN. Greene - IR. Mickens - STREET PICK UP/ST. Benn - ST ACE.

Fournette has been in and out whether it was due to injury or violations. And despite the commendable play along the offensive line. He's had to play with two or three different centers this year. He's had a different LT, a different LG, RG and RT all out there at some point throughout the course of the year.

Hate him or love him. This team doesn't have an 8 - 4 record right now without him showing some level or degree of consistency or competence in 2017. You can go back and look at the NYJ and ARZ losses too. You can make a very strong and compelling argument that had a few receivers stepped up and made crucial catches in critical down and distances that this team is 10 - 2 right now.

Cole dropped some great passes in that ARZ loss earlier on. Ultimately could have been the difference to where we're not driving to win in the 4th quarter. Look back at the Jets game. Benn gets flagged for holding on a Fournette TD catch. We go to OT and then Lee manages to drop a perfect pass that would have set us up for the go ahead FG win with a chip shot.

So just keep that in mind. His real test will come in the play-offs though. Maybe he pulls a Joe Flacco or Eli Manning in the play-offs and all of a sudden he's an elite passer throwing the ball all over the place to no names at the receiver position. It can happen.

Bortles is a streaky QB, if he's hot in January they could go far with this defense. I don't think the run game can overcome Bad Blake, the injuries are just too much now, but Good Blake makes them contenders. Would be a delightful bit of shadenfreude on here if he is, though SpaceCoast will be unbearable.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 12:55 PM by JNev.)

Sign Cousins or trade up for a QB. Is it not plainly obvious we're a good-great QB away from being a top 2-3 team in the AFC? Big Ben could easily fall off a cliff next year (or even retire) and he can't play all that well away from home anyways. Calais won't play at this level forever, we can't be wasting years trying to get by with Blake at the helms. Blake belongs on a team trying to overachieve getting to 8-8 or a veteran heavy team like ARZ trying to  make one last hurrah with no other options. Nothing against Blake, but it sure looks like he's just not a Super Bowl QB (And I would LOVE to be proven wrong about that).

(12-05-2017, 12:54 PM)JNev Wrote: Sign Cousins or trade up for a QB. Is it not plainly obvious we're a good-great QB away from being a top 2-3 team in the AFC? Big Ben could easily fall off a cliff next year (or even retire) and he can't play all that well away from home anyways. Calais won't play at this level forever, we can't be wasting years trying to get by with Blake at the helms. Blake belongs on a team trying to overachieve getting to 8-8 or a veteran heavy team like ARZ trying to  make one last hurrah with no other options. Nothing against Blake, but it sure looks like he's just not a Super Bowl QB (And I would LOVE to be proven wrong about that).

No one said don't add another QB to the mix. Seems most are content with Blake and a high round rookie next year if he keeps up his level of play. 

Also, look at the pass defenses in the AFC Playoff right now. Blake already destroyed Baltimore and they just lost Jimmy Smith, and Pittsburgh we crushed once as well. NE, KC, and Tennessee all have bad secondaries, we could almost have an easier time on offense in the playoffs than we've had all year. We've played some good defenses.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-04-2017, 02:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 02:41 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: At the end of the day, if Bortles drops a pass in the WRs hands/chest/etc even if it's not placed as good as it could be, it should be caught. These guys are professionals.

Absolutely. 

But there's nothing wrong with wanting the QB to be more accurate.  Call me crazy - but I prefer giving those professional receivers a chance to make an uncontested catch over steering them into a defender with the football.

REALLY BRUH!!!! C'MON MAN.  Every QB has throws like that and even the great ones have receivers that adjust and make great catches.  NO one ever says....that was one heck of a catch by gronk but Brady should have made it more catchable by throwing him a little more to the right.  Go make up some work to do

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 05:51 PM by atburg.)

(12-04-2017, 10:25 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 10:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Blake at 20 million or Cousins for 25?

I’d like Cousins.

Eli at 16 plz.

16 for a quarterback in obvious decline? 

Is that you Gene ?

Perhaps a punter in the third round as well?

Why are we happy with Blake "if he can keep this up"? He is below average right now in Y/A, ANY/A, comp%, TD%, and overall passer rating. To his credit he does have an above average INT% for the first time in his career, but the rest of his package still leaves a lot to be wanted and we can offset the injured supporting cast he has dealt with by the incredibly easy schedule he has faced.

It's almost guaranteed there will be multiple upgrades available in FA.

(12-05-2017, 05:56 PM)Upper Wrote: Why are we happy with Blake "if he can keep this up"? He is below average right now in Y/A, ANY/A, comp%, TD%, and overall passer rating. To his credit he does have an above average INT% for the first time in his career, but the rest of his package still leaves a lot to be wanted and we can offset the injured supporting cast he has dealt with by the incredibly easy schedule he has faced.

Because right now we are in the middle of a really good season, and he is currently the quarterback on our 8-4 team. Believe it or not, some of us would enjoy seeing this through before worrying about the off-season. Does he need real competition next season? Absolutely!  But let the current run play out, instead of whining about the " Below average" (your words) quarterback play in every possible thread!

(12-05-2017, 06:12 PM)atburg Wrote: Because right now we are in the middle of a really good season, and he is currently the quarterback on our 8-4 team. Believe it or not, some of us would enjoy seeing this through before worrying about the off-season. Does he need real competition next season? Absolutely!  But let the current run play out, instead of whining about the " Below average" (your words) quarterback play in every possible thread!

I meant to the people who said they would be happy with keeping Blake next year (or on a renegotiated multiple year deal) if he keeps playing like he has this year. Sure, we're all enjoying the moment right now but that's not what the people in this thread have been talking about nor what I was referring to.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 06:38 PM by LetsBReal.)

(12-05-2017, 06:19 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 06:12 PM)atburg Wrote: Because right now we are in the middle of a really good season, and he is currently the quarterback on our 8-4 team. Believe it or not, some of us would enjoy seeing this through before worrying about the off-season. Does he need real competition next season? Absolutely!  But let the current run play out, instead of whining about the " Below average" (your words) quarterback play in every possible thread!

I meant to the people who said they would be happy with keeping Blake next year (or on a renegotiated multiple year deal) if he keeps playing like he has this year. Sure, we're all enjoying the moment right now but that's not what the people in this thread have been talking about nor what I was referring to.

Blame Hackett not blake for handcuffing the offense.  Everyone was happy with Blake not throwing at the beginning of the season and now that the run game is not as good he is throwing more and doing good.  A year of passing stats wont add up to a multitude of games where it was run run run run run then pass all game.  stop jumping the fence and pick a side.

First, we're saying we'd be happy with this Blake on a renegotiated deal AND additional competition through high draft or FA. No one is saying they'd be fine going into next season with the same exact QB situation. 

Second, there is reason to believe Bortles will continue developing now that he's receiving real coaching. From Gus, Fisch, to Olson, he was basically winging it his first 3 years. This year he actually looks to have improved on his 2015 campaign as expected. There's plenty to show he can continue to develop. Not everyone is a day 1 superstar, if Blake can even get there. 

Third, he's been without his #1 WR all year, his #2 for a few weeks now and we've faced some of the best pass defenses in the league. 

That's why we'd "be happy with keeping Blake"
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-05-2017, 05:56 PM)Upper Wrote: Why are we happy with Blake "if he can keep this up"? He is below average right now in Y/A, ANY/A, comp%, TD%, and overall passer rating. To his credit he does have an above average INT% for the first time in his career, but the rest of his package still leaves a lot to be wanted and we can offset the injured supporting cast he has dealt with by the incredibly easy schedule he has faced.

Name the "almost guaranteed multiple upgrades available in FA".

I can tell you this.  No GM would let a QB like Bortles go in free agency without offering him some kind of deal.  A team will sign him even if it's in a backup role.  If the Jaguars offered to sign him to a reasonable deal I'm certainly sure that he would take it.  That would be the  smart move for both parties involved.

As I stated earlier, I can see Henne either retiring or moving on elsewhere as a backup.  It's possible (though doubtful in my opinion) that the Jaguars offer him another say 2 year $8 million deal, but again, highly unlikely.  They can possibly pick up a younger "insurance" type of backup for around the same kind of money.

I can also see the Jaguars drafting a QB, but don't expect them to trade up in the first round.  Contrary to what many believe, the team isn't "desperate" to get a top-level FA quarterback or a high draft pick QB.

As I said before as well, I am by no means a Bortles "fan boy" and I don't think that he is the long term answer for the team, I'm just looking at this from a logical/salary cap standpoint.  After all, he has led this team to an 8-4 season so far with 4 games to play and hasn't looked as awful as some would say.  While he hasn't been the single reason for the wins this season, he also hasn't been the single reason for the losses either.

Put it this way.  He is pretty much a Joe Flacco, Josh McCown, Tyrod Taylor kind of QB.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-05-2017, 08:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Name the "almost guaranteed multiple upgrades available in FA".

Cousins, one of Keenum/Bridgewater, Bradford, and good chance for Tyrod and Eli.

Because some of us have enough sense to know that QBs don't grow on trees in the NFL. You don't just get rid of an Average+ QB when you literally have nothing behind him. We can sit here all day and talk about how there should be upgrades in the Draft and FA, but at the end of the day, how often does that really pan out? Not often.

I'm still of the belief that we'll bring in another QB through the draft, or via FA, because Bortles can be upgraded, but that doesn't mean you just dump him and throw all your eggs into a Rookie's basket, or some FA. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and you should already know this, if you're a fan of this team.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 09:02 PM by Upper.)

(12-05-2017, 07:11 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Third, he's been without his #1 WR all year, his #2 for a few weeks now and we've faced some of the best pass defenses in the league. 

That's why we'd "be happy with keeping Blake"

But other than the Ravens who self admittedly completely botched their first and only attempt at a London game, Blake has been bad against the good defenses he has played. He was passable against the Bengals, and poor against the Rams, Steelers, and Chargers. And there is still virtually no QB you are less confident in if the game is on the line. Pray the defense and special teams dominate, or we lose. That's been the entire year.

(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 06:19 PM)Upper Wrote: I meant to the people who said they would be happy with keeping Blake next year (or on a renegotiated multiple year deal) if he keeps playing like he has this year. Sure, we're all enjoying the moment right now but that's not what the people in this thread have been talking about nor what I was referring to.

Because some of us have enough sense to know that QBs don't grow on trees in the NFL. You don't just get rid of an Average+ QB when you literally have nothing behind him. We can sit here all day and talk about how there should be upgrades in the Draft and FA, but at the end of the day, how often does that really pan out? Not often.

I'm still of the belief that we'll bring in another QB through the draft, or via FA, because Bortles can be upgraded, but that doesn't mean you just dump him and throw all your eggs into a Rookie's basket, or some FA. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and you should already know this, if you're a fan of this team.

If the "average+" part of your statement was correct then I would agree with everything you just said, but unfortunately it isn't. He's still below average in virtually every way. Man facing the UDFA rookie CB1 Colts really skews opinions.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 09:03 PM by MoJagFan.)

(12-05-2017, 05:28 PM)LetsBReal Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 02:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Absolutely. 

But there's nothing wrong with wanting the QB to be more accurate.  Call me crazy - but I prefer giving those professional receivers a chance to make an uncontested catch over steering them into a defender with the football.

REALLY BRUH!!!! C'MON MAN.  Every QB has throws like that and even the great ones have receivers that adjust and make great catches.  NO one ever says....that was one heck of a catch by gronk but Brady should have made it more catchable by throwing him a little more to the right.  Go make up some work to do

I used to say dang Peyton Manning sure throws the ball where Austin Collie gets the snot beat out of him.  For all the praise of Peyton he had no problem leaving receivers dead on arrival through their crossing routes.  So yeah ball placement sure is a good thing.

I'm constantly amazed that Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers put up gaudy stats considering their throwing motions and velocity.  I guess they know where and how to put the ball.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM by JackCity.)

Another year of Bortles as starting QB is another year we aren't truly contending.

(12-05-2017, 08:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 06:19 PM)Upper Wrote: I meant to the people who said they would be happy with keeping Blake next year (or on a renegotiated multiple year deal) if he keeps playing like he has this year. Sure, we're all enjoying the moment right now but that's not what the people in this thread have been talking about nor what I was referring to.

Blake's below average though