Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

(03-02-2018, 05:22 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 04:49 AM)Andy G Wrote: If we don’t sign ARob then we probably have to take a WR early in the draft.

If we don’t sign Colvin, we probably have to look for a CB too.

Sure, we mustn’t over-pay, but this could have been a draft when we fixed the Oline and TE positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why though? The rookie WR group got us 5 min from Super Bowl.
And they played terrible in the Buffalo game. Cole is a nice piece but he’s not a #1. Same with Westbrook. Imagine how good they would be when the teams best corner is covering ARob?

ARob is someone Blake trusts and he’s great on the Redzone. When Blake is good, ARob is unguardable.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-02-2018, 08:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 05:22 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Why though? The rookie WR group got us 5 min from Super Bowl.
And they played terrible in the Buffalo game. Cole is a nice piece but he’s not a #1. Same with Westbrook. Imagine how good they would be when the teams best corner is covering ARob?

ARob is someone Blake trusts and he’s great on the Redzone. When Blake is good, ARob is unguardable.

When Blake wasp playing good Arob was on IR

I skipped most of this... because, well 10 pages, and I've been gone awhile so I'm eager to just jump in with my 2 cents on topics.
If Arob doesn't return I think we'll try to keep Hurns on a restructured deal. Roll with Cole and Westbrook, and draft a big body jump ball receiver like Auden Tate (2nd or 3rd round perhaps)

I think DC and Coach Doug like Cole and Westbrook enough they aren't breaking the bank for guys like AR15 and Lee.
Having Robinson back would be ideal as opposed to a rookie of similar skill set.
But the NFL is a business and not everyone can be paid. Seeing how far we went without AR15 makes me OK if they decided 12 mil is tops what they're willing to pay. Especially if it means keeping Aaron Colvin around.

(03-02-2018, 08:58 AM)BamboozledAgain Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 08:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: And they played terrible in the Buffalo game. Cole is a nice piece but he’s not a #1. Same with Westbrook. Imagine how good they would be when the teams best corner is covering ARob?

When Blake wasp playing good Arob was on IR
2015 Blake was good and ARob was a top 5 WR.

I have no doubts that if ARob was on healthy  in 2017, he would have had 75 for 1200 and 10 TDS. Blake was more accurate this season than any season before. If Blake takes another step next season, him and ARob will have a great season together. Not to mention ARob is only 3 months older than Westbrook.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...7192108032

Stuff like this is why we should not be ok with largely status quo. Status quo likely means a significant step backwards. We're going to need Arob and we're going to need a major TE upgrade.

(03-02-2018, 10:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 08:58 AM)BamboozledAgain Wrote: When Blake wasp playing good Arob was on IR
2015 Blake was good and ARob was a top 5 WR.

I have no doubts that if ARob was on healthy  in 2017, he would have had 75 for 1200 and 10 TDS. Blake was more accurate this season than any season before. If Blake takes another step next season, him and ARob will have a great season together. Not to mention ARob is only 3 months older than Westbrook.

Ya know... I wonder how much of our playbook was completely changed with the loss of ARob's 50/50 ability.
I mean, essentially all of those plays were taken out and we had to do a lot of more of the crossing patterns and short/intermediate stuff.

Which worked sometimes and definitely got better late in the season.
But that was something often criticized, Hack's playcalling... I wonder how much different our offense would/could look next year with essentially the same team minus Lee, plus Arob.

Here's hoping AR is willing to sign for 11-12 mil, since it seems 14-16 is too high

(03-02-2018, 10:55 AM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...7192108032

Stuff like this is why we should not be ok with largely status quo. Status quo likely means a significant step backwards. We're going to need Arob and we're going to need a major TE upgrade.
The Colts and Texans were god awful against the pass.

(03-02-2018, 10:55 AM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...7192108032

Yeah except we've seen that strength of schedule and teams change so much from year to year, last years stats have no real meaning toward what will happen next year.
Teams get better and worse, as do players.

Also... regardless of what teams were ranked when all the dust settled... you play who you play and you play to win.
We got to the AFCCG... doesn't matter how or what path.

(03-02-2018, 10:59 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah except we've seen that strength of schedule and teams change so much from year to year, last years stats have no real meaning toward what will happen next year.

Also... regardless of what teams were ranked when all the dust settled... you play who you play and you play to win.

That's incredibly myopic. We don't know what it will be going forward, but we do know what it was last year...and the odds that Blake faces such easy pass defenses again is slim. We should plan for it to be tougher by upgrading our personnel in kind.

(03-02-2018, 11:01 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 10:59 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah except we've seen that strength of schedule and teams change so much from year to year, last years stats have no real meaning toward what will happen next year.

That's incredibly myopic. We don't know what it will be going forward, but we do know what it was last year...and the odds that Blake faces such easy pass defenses again is slim. We should plan for it to be tougher by upgrading our personnel in kind.

No no... I totally agree we should upgrade talent around him.
Especially at TE and inside OL.

I just take stats like that as people trying to take yet another jab at Bortles. He can't control what defenses he faces... and rankings like that come out when everything is said and done, including the stats Bortles himself put up against those pass defenses to make them so poor.
And he did it without his #1, without Mr. Reliable Hurns, and with Lee dropping everything thrown his way the first half of the season.
So I mean, for every naysayer out there, we can throw a few common sense facts to counter.

But absolutely, if we can keep Arob without hamstringing the cap, we should.
And we should totally draft Godecki, Andrews, or Goedert....

I felt that Sharp fella was throwing out that stat as an anti-Bortles contract stat as opposed to a Bortles needs more weapons stat.

(03-02-2018, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

The Colts and Texans were god awful against the pass.

How did he do against the Colts and Texans?

(03-02-2018, 11:16 AM)Kane Wrote: I felt that Sharp fella was throwing out that stat as an anti-Bortles contract stat as opposed to a Bortles needs more weapons stat.

Nah I am pretty sure it's from a day or two before the Bortles deal became news. He was just answering the question asked.

I hope we manage to keep ARob.

But if we don't I hope we manage to trade him, either non-exclusive tag or something like the Dolphins are doing with Landry which is rumored to have a decent market for a trade. Can't let him get to FA with no tag or with no leverage from us.

Sounds like the tag is off the table.

https://mobile.twitter.com/1010xlag/stat...6492607493
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-02-2018, 01:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 11:16 AM)Kane Wrote: I felt that Sharp fella was throwing out that stat as an anti-Bortles contract stat as opposed to a Bortles needs more weapons stat.

Nah I am pretty sure it's from a day or two before the Bortles deal became news. He was just answering the question asked.

Ah, I see. I took it out of context then...
That's my beef.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 04:55 PM by TheDuke007.)

Personally, I would do the franchise tag if we can't get a fair long term deal.  While not ideal, we were so close to the Super Bowl last year, a good receiver could put us over the top.  While $16 million is a little high, it's not devastating to our cap.  We can save $7 million by cutting Hurns.  As such, it's only a $9 million increase over how we currently sit today.  We saved money in 2018 with the Bortles extension and the Ivory cut.  I do see a receiver as a bigger priority than nickel back, although I do think we can do both.

There are some advantages to a one year deal.  It gives the team flexibility.  If A-Rob has lost a step due to the injury or plays more like 2016 versus 2015, then we have an out in 2019.  We also have an out if our rookies (Cole and Westbrook) take a big step forward in year two.  In a year, we'll have a much better feel for whether they are the future.  As such, short term, the franchise tag makes sense.  IMO, not retaining A-Rob means that we need to seriously consider taking a receiver in the first round.  The problem is that rookies often take time to develop and this was a team one game away from the Super Bowl.  A first round receiver also pushes our other needs (tight end, guard) down in the draft.  Not signing A-Rob has consequences too.  In regards to the long term, the franchise tag gives us options.  If A-Rob is great, we can sign him with more confidence next year.  If not great, we can move on with no consequences in 2019.

(03-01-2018, 06:59 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Caldwell's comments were somewhat telling that he's only going to go so high.

I wouldn't put too much in his comments.  This is an ongoing negotiation.  He would be an absolute fool to publicly state that he loves A-Rob and that he would pay any amount of money to bring him back.

If the Jaguars can't reach an agreement on a long-term deal, I hope they tag him for next year. When healthy, there are not many other receivers I'd take ahead of him right now. He is still young and would provide Bortles with a great security block. Those taking the position of letting him test free agency and ultimately going to another team must have forgotten what it was like when the Jags number 1 receiver was Mike Walker or Reggie Williams, to name just a few. Great receivers are hard to find and to expect them to draft a guy who can put up numbers similar to AROB is unrealistic. To count of Westbrook and Cole to become a true number 1 receiver is also unrealistic. They need to prove that last year's performances were not a fluke and that they can take it to the next level this coming season.

(03-01-2018, 09:19 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 09:10 PM)Jagwired Wrote: They wont consider the tag IMO. A decision I would agree with. Even if it means him being gone.

If A-Rob won't agree to a reasonable long term deal I believe he hits free agency. If he hits free agency, he will be gone. Someone will cough up stupid cash for his one year history of success.

I still think the transition tag is still in play. It’s a risk but if some team wants to play him like a top 5 WR based on 1 great year and and a couple of average ones then they can have them.

Perhaps, but I keep thinking that if they're willing to use a $13.8 mil franchise tag... then why not spend a little more and truly secure him with a $16 mil franchise tag? 
'02

Listening to Prisco last night and he is another one who thinks we are not tagging ARob and that he'll hit FA.

I don't know what to think honestly, until a few days ago I was sure we would have kept him, now I'm starting to doubt. I would at least tag him just to trade him (if they don't want to pay the 16M as it seems they have other plans to spend money in FA) if we are too far away with the resigning negotiations, I'm sure we would be able to trade him once we do that.
I definitely hope we won't lose him without any compensation at all..

(03-04-2018, 12:02 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 09:19 PM)knarnn Wrote: I still think the transition tag is still in play. It’s a risk but if some team wants to play him like a top 5 WR based on 1 great year and and a couple of average ones then they can have them.

Perhaps, but I keep thinking that if they're willing to use a $13.8 mil franchise tag... then why not spend a little more and truly secure him with a $16 mil franchise tag? 

Because they are going to go through negotiations with other players in the future, and for the rest of all time, and if they make a habit of overpaying, it will eventually add up and cripple the cap.  

My position is, if we don't sign AR, we will be free to use the money on something else.