Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell has to be done right?

(11-11-2018, 11:08 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Patience is a virtue, and teams with a constant turnover among the FO and coaching staff don't do well in the long run.  However, there has to be something done with Caldwell and the coaching staff this offseason.  We've got a losing team that is over the cap - just too many dumb moves like giving big contracts to Bortles and Lee when they were clearly not deserving.

Patience? I think six seasons is plenty patient. A “typical” rebuild should usually be three years, if that nowadays. We’re way past that mark. Lack of patience would be the Browns, firing your coach very year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't think that he's done. I think that in the grand scheme of things, the narrative is going to be that we had a slew of a few million injuries and then some young receivers just fumbling games away. I think that he will be given a chance to jettison some of the high contracts that aren't playing up to snuff and find some more Offensive and Defensive lineman.

Caldwell
Hackett
Wash

Should all be gone, maybe even Marrone, but those 3 really suck they have no excuse.

Marrone should be gone for simply failing to recognize that Hackett & Wash are terrible coordinators. Caldwell will be like your typical bad Jaguars GM and fired 5 years after he should have been fired.

(11-12-2018, 08:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Marrone should be gone for simply failing to recognize that Hackett & Wash are terrible coordinators. Caldwell will be like your typical bad Jaguars GM and fired 5 years after he should have been fired.
Were you complaining about Wash last year or nah?

(11-12-2018, 09:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 08:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Marrone should be gone for simply failing to recognize that Hackett & Wash are terrible coordinators. Caldwell will be like your typical bad Jaguars GM and fired 5 years after he should have been fired.
Were you complaining about Wash last year or nah?

Yes, I complained about his overuse of zone coverage with the talent and speed we had on defense. He has now handicapped the talent of the defense with his schemes.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM by old_man.)

"handicapped the talent" What?

It appears after this year, he got the most out of the group he had last year. or Poz and Colvin were the keys to the defense success.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-12-2018, 09:29 AM)old_man Wrote: "handicapped the talent"  What?

It appears after this year,  he got the most out of the group he had last year.  or Poz and Colvin were the keys to the defense success.

The truth lies somewhere between handicapped and getting the most out of the team.  We were seeing cracks in the armor as the season progressed in 2017.  The NFL is an offensive league and you have to function and be flexible as an offense.  The defense can't save this offense and the offense can't keep the defense from being exposed.  We have issues compounded by injuries.

Like it or not, they will use the injuries as an excuse.  The team doesn't have as much flexibility due to the salary cap as well.  If this team jettisons the defense with the current state of the offense, we will be a 3 to 5 win team next year.  We have not developed and established talent on the offensive side of this team for 5 years now.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-11-2018, 11:40 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I don't think that he's done.  I think that in the grand scheme of things, the narrative is going to be that we had a slew of a few million injuries and then some young receivers just fumbling games away.  I think that he will be given a chance to jettison some of the high contracts that aren't playing up to snuff and find some more Offensive and Defensive lineman.

Actually, that seems like a reasonable plan to me.  I think what's happened this season has been a perfect storm.   Injuries that have completely wiped out a lot of starters, and in some cases, entire positions like LT and TE.  Couple that with a LOT of players just not playing as well as last year, and that's all it takes to turn a playoff team into a losing team.  Our turnover differential has to be a complete opposite of what it was last year.  Sacks are way down, interceptions are way down, turnovers are way up.   The secondary is constantly confused for some reason and opposing receivers are running wide open.  

It's just been a perfect storm of everything going wrong at once.

(11-12-2018, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's just been a perfect storm of everything going wrong at once.

While this is partially true, it is also true that last year was the perfect storm of everything going right at once. What's the real baseline? With this staff, team philosophy, and QB...maybe wild card contention? Are we okay with that?

(11-12-2018, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Actually, that seems like a reasonable plan to me.  I think what's happened this season has been a perfect storm.   Injuries that have completely wiped out a lot of starters, and in some cases, entire positions like LT and TE.  Couple that with a LOT of players just not playing as well as last year, and that's all it takes to turn a playoff team into a losing team.  Our turnover differential has to be a complete opposite of what it was last year.  Sacks are way down, interceptions are way down, turnovers are way up.   The secondary is constantly confused for some reason and opposing receivers are running wide open.  

It's just been a perfect storm of everything going wrong at once.

But I just feel you are giving the franchise too much credit over the past few years.

While no one is going to have a perfect team, you need a somewhat balanced team to really be a contender. And this team was not even designed to be that. It was designed to have an exceptional defense carry the team. Those types of teams do sometimes catch fire to win it all, but not consistently.

I get the Jags have to play their hand when they lack an elite QB, but the team design was flawed.

It depends on how the rest of the season plays out. If they manage an 8 - 8 / 9 - 7 record I really, really don't think we'll see much moving and shaking going on in the front office next year.

If they continue to lose out though. All bets are off. I don't care how banged up the offense is. They looked decent enough in that game yesterday. Wash needs to figure out who can mentally handle the spot checking out there on defense or he needs to be gone as well. I feel like Hackett and Marrone get a bit of a pass since Bortles was pretty much forced onto them.

But Caldwell should certainly feel the heat on his [BLEEP] this morning.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-30-2018, 04:32 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:31 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Linder, Telvin, Jack, Yannick, Jack, Harrison etc. are too few and far between?

Say what you want about the 1st round picks but I think you're selling the guy a little short in the later rounds.

Indeed. If anything, Caldwell is Shack Harris 2.0 lol

Whah??

Why is this a  thread right now? Name one GM that has hit on every pick and signing. And you guys were not complaining bout Caldwell last year when we were in the AFCC game.

See, losing bring out the worst in all of us.

TBH, just like the QB, you guy will never be happy who is here. smh.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM by old_man.)

(11-12-2018, 09:58 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 09:29 AM)old_man Wrote: "handicapped the talent"  What?

It appears after this year,  he got the most out of the group he had last year.  or Poz and Colvin were the keys to the defense success.

The truth lies somewhere between handicapped and getting the most out of the team.  We were seeing cracks in the armor as the season progressed in 2017.  The NFL is an offensive league and you have to function and be flexible as an offense.  The defense can't save this offense and the offense can't keep the defense from being exposed.  We have issues compounded by injuries.

Like it or not, they will use the injuries as an excuse.  The team doesn't have as much flexibility due to the salary cap as well.  If this team jettisons the defense with the current state of the offense, we will be a 3 to 5 win team next year.  We have not developed and established talent on the offensive side of this team for 5 years now.

The biggest issue was sticking with Gus Bradley as head coach, after it should have been realized he was in over his head.  We are seeing those problems now.

Also,  with Bortles Gus threw him in the fire before he was ready and the team should have been more run oriented.  This is why some give a pass to Bortles.  2 of the 3 OCs he had were horrible.

He was worst than Del Rio  and Del Rio benefitted from the hold overs from the Coughlin Era.

Injuries can and should be used.  They intended that bringing in the FAs last year should make us competitive and they were right.

What they didn't expect that the defense would get big heads.

It appears that the defense issues are more from thinking about making a play or the players waiting for someone else to make a play.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(10-30-2018, 04:59 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:31 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Linder, Telvin, Jack, Yannick, Jack, Harrison etc. are too few and far between?

Say what you want about the 1st round picks but I think you're selling the guy a little short in the later rounds.

You are entitled to your opinion on this. Yannick was definitely a great pick and I neglected to mention that one. Your other examples are Adebatable. I already mentioned Jack and you named him twice. The jury is out on Harrison, Caldwell passed 4 times on Smith so he doesn't deserve a lot of credit for that pick and Linder has been injury prone. After Caldwell extended Gus Bradley during his 3rd season when he had the 2nd worst record in NFL history (the 1st place coach owned the team), he should have been fired immediately. That has to rank up there with the Browns giving Hugh Jackson another year after last season and we saw how that turned out.

If this is a criticism for a later draft pick that would mean no GM's should get any credit for any selections after the 1st round, unless their 1st rounder performs better in the long run than their 2nd rounder, and so forth.

(11-11-2018, 11:35 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 11:08 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Patience is a virtue, and teams with a constant turnover among the FO and coaching staff don't do well in the long run.  However, there has to be something done with Caldwell and the coaching staff this offseason.  We've got a losing team that is over the cap - just too many dumb moves like giving big contracts to Bortles and Lee when they were clearly not deserving.

Patience? I think six seasons is plenty patient. A “typical” rebuild should usually be three years, if that nowadays. We’re way past that mark. Lack of patience would be the Browns, firing your coach very year

I disagree. If you are starting with a team mostly devoid of talent, the team should show some promise within 3 years these days. Maybe not championship caliber, but trending that way. Jaguars went against the grain. Team definitely has flaws, but this should be a reload.

Issue is that offense has one "star" player who cannot get on the field to overcome team's deficiencies, and the defense stars are not living up to expectations.

(11-12-2018, 10:48 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:32 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. If anything, Caldwell is Shack Harris 2.0 lol

Whah??

Why is this a  thread right now? Name one GM that has hit on every pick and signing. And you guys were not complaining bout Caldwell last year when we were in the AFCC game.

No one is saying Caldwell has to hit on every pick. But he’s been horrible at two key things: First round picks and QB evaluations. 

Those are two “table stakes” that a GM cannot afford to screw up on

(11-12-2018, 11:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 10:48 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Whah??

No one is saying Caldwell has to hit on every pick. But he’s been horrible at two key things: First round picks and QB evaluations. 

Well its time to fired over half of the GMs.
#iamlegend

(11-12-2018, 11:56 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 11:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: No one is saying Caldwell has to hit on every pick. But he’s been horrible at two key things: First round picks and QB evaluations. 

Well its time to fired over half of the GMs.

Are those “half of the GMs” GM’s who have been around for 6 seasons and missed on 83 percent of his first round picks, the lifeblood of any NFL team, and completely whiffed on the trophy position ?

(11-12-2018, 12:09 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 11:56 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Well its time to fired over half of the GMs.

Are those “half of the GMs” GM’s who have been around for 6 seasons and missed on 83 percent of his first round picks, the lifeblood of any NFL team, and completely whiffed on the trophy position ?
He's only drafted 1 high QB. And yes, GMs are in positions for 6 years and miss on higher percentages. But hey, lets continue to keep switching GMs.
BTW, whats the 83% that he has missed on?
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 12:17 PM by SamusAranX.)

(11-12-2018, 12:13 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 12:09 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Are those “half of the GMs” GM’s who have been around for 6 seasons and missed on 83 percent of his first round picks, the lifeblood of any NFL team, and completely whiffed on the trophy position ?
He's only drafted 1 high QB. And yes, GMs are in positions for 6 years and miss on higher percentages. But hey, lets continue to keep switching GMs.
BTW, whats the 83% that he has missed on?

5 out of 6 first rounders 

Ramsey is his only success. Joeckel, Bortles, and Fowler were misses. Fournette was way over drafted and is not a player you build a team around. Bryan can theoretically become something but no one can say definitely he’s a good pick yet.

And he only “missed” once on QB? Nope try twice, at least. He had an opportunity to easily correct his mistake with Bortles last season but doubled down instead