Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

(01-30-2019, 10:36 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Trading up for Haskins or even drafting him will doom this franchise for a decade.

How so?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The nore i think about it the more signing Foles makes sense. Its proven you can win a SB with him at the helm. He'll come cheaper than Cousins but will still cost a pretty penny. Jax as a city beats philly, we have his qb coach from the SB year. Are going to be throwing resources at the offense to make ot better. And we have a championship caliber defense built to win now. Also with even passable qb play we will see less 8 man boxes and more balance will lead to more success.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-30-2019, 11:14 PM)roycee Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 10:36 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Trading up for Haskins or even drafting him will doom this franchise for a decade.

How so?

The same way taking Sanchez would have.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-02-2019, 09:36 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 11:14 PM)roycee Wrote: How so?

The same way taking Sanchez would have.

Other than the fact they were both 1 year starters, I see no other reasonable comparisons between Haskins and Sanchez. Haskins is more athletic, way more accurate, makes much better decisions, had like 1,600 more passing yards and 16 more passing touchdowns than Sanchez in their only year starting and Haskins had a lower interception rate.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2019, 03:57 PM by archer56.)

That BBC article on what the eagles want to do with foles has.mortenson saying they want a third for him. I mean if thats all they want the jags better figure out a way to make that happen

They could draft a qb and cut bortles for foles and we would have an inexpensive backup and foles on the tag for a year to figure out contracts if they cant right away
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(02-03-2019, 03:56 PM)archer56 Wrote: That BBC article on what the eagles want to do with foles has.mortenson saying they want a third for him. I mean if thats all they want the jags better figure out a way to make that happen

They could draft a qb and cut bortles for foles and we would have an inexpensive backup and foles on the tag for a year to figure out contracts if they cant right away

The Eagles aren't going to guarantee $20-25 M for Foles to trade him for "just" a third rounder.  That's non-sensical.  They're going to seek a 1st rounder and with the Giants, Redskins, Jaguars, Broncos, even the Bengals looking to upgrade their QB situation they'll likely get it - or at least a 2nd and additional picks.  

The Jags have too many holes to fill to give up valuable draft picks to either move up OR trade for a QB.  

I'd much rather see them trade back for extra picks instead.  Pick up someone like Lock or Grier in the 2nd, replace some of the players they'll be forced to cut with cheap draft picks.  We need help at OG, OT, TE, WR, QB - it's not a 1 year re-tooling.

(02-03-2019, 07:26 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 03:56 PM)archer56 Wrote: That BBC article on what the eagles want to do with foles has.mortenson saying they want a third for him. I mean if thats all they want the jags better figure out a way to make that happen

The Eagles aren't going to guarantee $20-25 M for Foles to trade him for "just" a third rounder.  That's non-sensical.  They're going to seek a 1st rounder and with the Giants, Redskins, Jaguars, Broncos, even the Bengals looking to upgrade their QB situation they'll likely get it - or at least a 2nd and additional picks.  

The Jags have too many holes to fill to give up valuable draft picks to either move up OR trade for a QB.  

I'd much rather see them trade back for extra picks instead.  Pick up someone like Lock or Grier in the 2nd, replace some of the players they'll be forced to cut with cheap draft picks.  We need help at OG, OT, TE, WR, QB - it's not a 1 year re-tooling.

I don't think they would trade him inside their own division.

Sports analysts on the NFL Network are siding with Las Vegas oddsmakers that Foles is a good fit for Jaguars organization in that our “identity” is a balanced attack using the run to open up the pass and vice versa. I think Foles will only go where he is #1 and DeFilippo has total control over selecting his backup. I think QB IQ should be valued as highly as pass mechanics. I am not privy to that info so I have no clue which QB we should acquire VIA FA or the draft or if he is already on staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to work out something like:

Foles for Bortles and a 2nd round pick. They agree to eat half of Bortles salary but then I woke up.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2019, 01:28 PM by Ace Nova.)

Hi folks, lifelong Eagles fan here. If Nick Foles comes to Jacksonville, you'll have one more fan join your ranks.

Nick Foles is the real deal. I would estimate that about 25-30% of the Eagles fan base would keep him over Wentz, given the choice. And another 30% or so wouldn't be upset about it. But there's the remaining 30% of fans are Wentz fanatics and they scream louder than the rest...plus the Eagles front office has a ton invested in Wentz...that's the primary reason Wentz has been penciled in as the franchise QB in Philly.

That said, Nick Foles is a top 10 QB in the NFL. Don't let his regular season paper stats fool you, the guy is elite. He's a selfless player who doesn't care about his individual stats. His primary focus is being a leader and being a team player...and WINNING. The guy is at his best in the most high pressure situations. He's the definition of "clutch".

He's WON 7 must win games or the season is over...during the past 2 years. Pretty sure no other QB in the NFL has done that over the past 2 seasons. I think the next closest one is Brady with 5 "must win" wins.

He has among the best post season QB passer ratings in NFL history and is in the Hall of Fame twice....once for his 7 TD game and another time for his Super Bowl MVP performance.

In terms of skills, he's extremely accurate, has a strong arm, can throw both laser/bullet passes or touch passes when needed. His pre snap reads are elite level, he delivers the ball as fast as anyone in the NFL and has among the highest passer ratings in the NFL while being blitzed. He's an elite pocket passer and he's a guy that you want holding the ball if your team is down late in the 4th quarter. He really is that good.

As far as compensation goes, if the Eagles tag him at 25 million he'll probably negotiate an incentive bases contract wherever he goes. He's a very humble guy and would want to make wherever he goes a good fit. I could see him taking a 3-4 year deal for around 22-23 million per year plus incentives that could get him to 25+ million if the team makes the playoffs etc. And who would complain about paying him 25 million if your team is winning in the playoffs? I wouldn't.
'
In terms of picks, the Eagles would get a 3rd round comp pick if he walks in free agency so I would think that would be the least compensation they would take. And a 3rd round pick for Nick Foles is highway robbery for whoever gets him, imo.

Good luck!

(02-05-2019, 01:24 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: Hi folks, lifelong Eagles fan here. If Nick Foles comes to Jacksonville, you'll have one more fan join your ranks.

Nick Foles is the real deal. I would estimate that about 25-30% of the Eagles fan base would keep him over Wentz, given the choice. And another 30% or so wouldn't be upset about it. But there's the remaining 30% of fans are Wentz fanatics and they scream louder than the rest...plus the Eagles front office has a ton invested in Wentz...that's the primary reason Wentz has been penciled in as the franchise QB in Philly.

That said, Nick Foles is a top 10 QB in the NFL. Don't let his regular season paper stats fool you, the guy is elite. He's a selfless player who doesn't care about his individual stats. His primary focus is being a leader and being a team player...and WINNING. The guy is at his best in the most high pressure situations. He's the definition of "clutch".

He's WON 7 must win games or the season is over...during the past 2 years. Pretty sure no other QB in the NFL has done that over the past 2 seasons. I think the next closest one is Brady with 5 "must win" wins.

He has among the best post season QB passer ratings in NFL history and is in the Hall of Fame twice....once for his 7 TD game and another time for his Super Bowl MVP performance.

In terms of skills, he's extremely accurate, has a strong arm, can throw both laser/bullet passes or touch passes when needed. His pre snap reads are elite level, he delivers the ball as fast as anyone in the NFL and has among the highest passer ratings in the NFL while being blitzed. He's an elite pocket passer and he's a guy that you want holding the ball if your team is down late in the 4th quarter. He really is that good.

As far as compensation goes, if the Eagles tag him at 25 million he'll probably negotiate an incentive bases contract wherever he goes. He's a very humble guy and would want to make wherever he goes a good fit. I could see him taking a 3-4 year deal for around 22-23 million per year plus incentives that could get him to 25+ million if the team makes the playoffs etc. And who would complain about paying him 25 million if your team is winning in the playoffs? I wouldn't.
'
In terms of picks, the Eagles would get a 3rd round comp pick if he walks in free agency so I would think that would be the least compensation they would take. And a 3rd round pick for Nick Foles is highway robbery for whoever gets him, imo.

Good luck!

lol ... are you sure you're not his agent?

Sign him up!
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(02-05-2019, 01:24 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: Hi folks, lifelong Eagles fan here. If Nick Foles comes to Jacksonville, you'll have one more fan join your ranks.

'

Good luck!

I'll pass. I want Haskins.

Ace Nova, What were ya'll s thought on how Foles did in 2014, he 2nd year with Kelly. I know a lot people put the blame on Kelly system not adapting and lacking a deep threat, but I worry it is more than that. Even early in 2018, when the plays broke down via either pressure or coverage, it felt that Foles revert back to that indecisive, happy feet QB.

Coughlin, Caldwell, (and Marone) are under pressure to win this next year from Khan; I don't foresee the team going the long term route of a so-so bridge veteran QB and develop a non-1st round QB draft pick for down the road. That leaves Foles or Haskins (or another 1st round draft pick QB based on their scouts' analysis) as the likely alternatives.

It is easy to fall in love with draft picks, but they are, and will always be, an unknown on how they will adjust to or perform in the NFL. The highest probability of getting good performance out of the QB position next year is putting in a QB that has been in the NFL and performed well. If Foles can be afforded, I am convinced that Coughlin and Caldwell will go in this direction. If a bidding war ensues, similar to Cousins last year (or Olivier Vernon years before), the Jag's decision makers have shown that they will walk away if the price gets too high. The window for this team, and Khan's patience, are both short at this time.

(01-17-2019, 01:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Watson and Mahomes were a part of an apparent weak class.

Also... Tua and Fromm are can't miss prospects? The only QB that looks like a lock is Trevor Lawerence. I think Haskins will be a better pro than both Tua and Fromm. I put Haskins behind only Baker and Darnold from last year.
Watson and Mahomes at least played three years to enhance their play. Even without the ability of hindsight, I liked those guys coming out of college. This Haskins guy just completed his first year as a starter and I don't have the same feeling.

In my opinion Tua is overrated and strictly a product of coaching and outstanding personnel around him. Fromm will end up being more successful if/when either get drafted. Everyone knew Baker was going to be a baller if he could stow the attitude. From a talent standpoint, safe pick there. Darnold, I was never high on but showed room for growth because he played disciplined, albeit safe. I liked what I saw from him this year.

Haskins, I don't see the disciplined pocket passer. I don't see that gamer that can come from behind. I don't see a guy that can take hits and still stand tall. I don't see the "it" factor. It doesn't mean he can't fufill all of those and more but in my opinion there is too much risk chasing those unknowns. I think a lot of teams would feel better seeing him another year or two in college but reality is, he and his agent were smart to jump and enter a weak draft. Some team will bet the farm and I hope it isn't the Jags.

(01-17-2019, 01:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty generic analysis. Most college QBs "struggle Vs pressure" , most NFL QBs do too.  Haskins is bad Vs pressure atm but that's to be expected at this point.

As for reads you can only judge him on the scheme he runs but there are multiple examples in every game of him making multiple reads on NFL concepts, even if it's relatively easy scheme to get production out of, similar to Clemson's  or Oklahoma's.  The term "one read QB" is lazy and ignores the keys , presnap and post snap decisions *every* QB in spread/air raid schemes has to make.

He doesn't really scramble much either unless it's a last resort.
Call it what you will but what more can you use to analyze? His body of work is too minescule to garner any type of specifics other than those provided. That is the point in all of this. How can you be so sure as to bet your future on a guy that is this raw and unknown?

Darnold played "disciplined albeit safe"?  When exactly was that because he's been a turnover machine since he came into college and right through into the NFL

(02-06-2019, 04:18 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Coughlin, Caldwell, (and Marone) are under pressure to win this next year from Khan; I don't foresee the team going the long term route of a so-so bridge veteran QB and develop a non-1st round QB draft pick for down the road.  That leaves Foles or Haskins (or another 1st round draft pick QB based on their scouts' analysis) as the likely alternatives.  

It is easy to fall in love with draft picks, but they are, and will always be, an unknown on how they will adjust to or perform in the NFL.  The highest probability of getting good performance out of the QB position next year is putting in a QB that has been in the NFL and performed well.  If Foles can be afforded, I am convinced that Coughlin and Caldwell will go in this direction.  If a bidding war ensues, similar to Cousins last year (or Olivier Vernon years before), the Jag's decision makers have shown that they will walk away if the price gets too high.  The window for this team, and Khan's patience, are both short at this time.

This is how Ive been thinking about it as well.  Hard to go into a season depending on a rookie with your job in his hand.  If Foles can start for three +- years that affords you to stock up on other positions in the draft (unless your coveted qb falls to you).  Also allows you more time in further drafts to find a replacement.  I’m all for drafting the next franchise quarterback.  But too many turn out to be busts or just not live up to the potential (Gabbert, Blake).

Interesting seeing the wide range of opinions. It does seem at the moment that it's Foles or Haskins, I don't know how the Philly and Foles situation will end, he looks a lot less attractive with a franchise tag salary to deal with.

This feels like one of these decisions that is going to have an impact 5-8 years from now, so many different things to take into account. Age, salary, scheme suitability, trade/draft cost, long term availability. 

I agree that the FO sees this as a team that can challenge with some tweaks, both players seem to have upside and downside and there doesn't seem to be a clear choice even on here.

Going to be a huge decision and we really need to make the right choice for once.

Who would be a GM?!

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

So, trade fournette to move up and get haskins? And trade for and sign Foles to a 2 year deal? That the plan? Lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

I’m all about taking the best QB available at 7, personally.

Would take a ton of luck for that to be Haskins, but... maybe the stars align.

Heard some positive reports RE Haskins to Jags but have to remind myself this is the same front office that completely screwed the QB position for years and took Fournette over multiple stud QBs.

Basically, I'll believe it when I see it