Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

QB is obviously the biggest need.  I’m seeing quite a bit of talk between moving up in the draft (at whatever cost) to get Haskins or making a few cuts to sign Foles (which will be hefty).  I thought it would be fun to have a poll.  Go for broke for Haskins or Foles.  The posts I’ve been reading seem near even.  Plus a good debate all in one place.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Haskins is not the answer. I don’t believe you mortgage your future on this guy. Now if he happens to fall to you and you have him as BAP, take a swing. But, my opinion, he is too flawed and a relatively unknown based on number of games played. Too risky.

Foles is intriguing but once again, is he worth mortgaging the future on? He will come with an astronomical salary that will keep from improving other areas on your football team. We aren’t in a position on offense to do that yet. Also, based on his mediocre past play, I’m inclined to believe it is Phili scheme and surrounding players giving him a boost moreso than his talent. A mojority of his career included numbers far worse than Bortles.

My thought is that you find a competitive FA that fits what you are looking to do offensively with the players you have. You can’t afford the money and time to build around a stop gap QB. This may not be the popular answer but it makes the most sense from a money and personnel stand point. In this draft you can prep your roster for future long term success and actually have QB options the next two drafts instead of chasing a “meh” QB in Haskins.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Signing Foles to a big contract would be such a kick in the balls.

None of the Above

I keep thinking of the mistake the Vikings made with Cousins. They were excited in the beginning, but now it looks like fools gold-and their cap is wrecked with all that guaranteed money. That's kind of how I feel about Foles too. Someone like Fitzpatrick might be better for us.

I still think we should draft a QB If we're not sold on any of the first round prospects, I'd still like to grab a guy like Grier in the second round. Then we wait until next year's better crop of QBs.

I know it isn't probably popular... With Bortles' dead money, cutting him would only save us about 4 million dollars... or the "cost" of a cheap FA. So I voted for "Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?" except the "Cheap FA" is already on the team... Blake Bortles is the bridge to the QB we draft.
"Knowledge is power, guard it well."

If the OC was able to turn Foles from a backup into a valuable FA target, let's get a younger, cheaper guy and see if he can do it again.

Whether that's a backup who hasn't broken through as a starter or a rookie, I much prefer either option to overspending on a free agent QB who may end up being no better than the QB we already overpaid for.

Haskins and it's not close for me.

Haskins has a much higher ceiling and we need to stop with the band aids and find that true franchise QB.

The draft is always a roll of the dice but so are high priced free agents. Sign a true bridge QB like Bridgewater and draft a QB to groom for the future but don't give away the farm to get Haskins.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-17-2019, 09:38 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Haskins is not the answer. I don’t believe you mortgage your future on this guy. Now if he happens to fall to you and you have him as BAP, take a swing. But, my opinion, he is too flawed and a relatively unknown based on number of games played. Too risky.

Foles is intriguing but once again, is he worth mortgaging the future on? He will come with an astronomical salary that will keep from improving other areas on your football team. We aren’t in a position on offense to do that yet. Also, based on his mediocre past play, I’m inclined to believe it is Phili scheme and surrounding players giving him a boost moreso than his talent. A mojority of his career included numbers far worse than Bortles.

My thought is that you find a competitive FA that fits what you are looking to do offensively with the players you have. You can’t afford the money and time to build around a stop gap QB. This may not be the popular answer but it makes the most sense from a money and personnel stand point. In this draft you can prep your roster for future long term success and actually have QB options the next two drafts instead of chasing a “meh” QB in Haskins.

Explain for us how Haskins is "too flawed."
'02

(01-17-2019, 11:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: If the OC was able to turn Foles from a backup into a valuable FA target, let's get a younger, cheaper guy and see if he can do it again.

Whether that's a backup who hasn't broken through as a starter or a rookie, I much prefer either option to overspending on a free agent QB who may end up being no better than the QB we already overpaid for.

Why not just keep BB, he is younger and will not cost you anything he is already signed.  If he can make a diff with BB5 we will be back in the playoffs. If he cant we are drafting top 10 in 2020 with a much better QB selection. Cue cleatwood

(01-17-2019, 12:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 09:38 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Haskins is not the answer. I don’t believe you mortgage your future on this guy. Now if he happens to fall to you and you have him as BAP, take a swing. But, my opinion, he is too flawed and a relatively unknown based on number of games played. Too risky.

He throws TOO many TDs.

(01-17-2019, 12:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Based on his limited play, he is a first read QB that struggles with pressure. He requires a clean pocket to be accurate, if he didn't already prematurely scramble.

I've been on the "Haskins Train" since the beginning. That hasn't changed at at. The kid is special. I would do whatever it takes to land him. This team is going nowhere without a good QB.

(01-17-2019, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Explain for us how Haskins is "too flawed."
He throws TOO many TDs.
Against what competition? Penn and Michigan who subsequently got smoked in their respective bowl games? Look, he may be the best among this draft class but that is like saying he's the tallest midget. This class stinks! and to trade limited draft picks to chase this kind of quality seems asinine. There is a reason he decided to come out this year...he would be lost among a sea of better QB talent in next years draft.

(01-17-2019, 01:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He throws TOO many TDs.
Against what competition? Penn and Michigan who subsequently got smoked in their respective bowl games? Look, he may be the best among this draft class but that is like saying he's the tallest midget. This class stinks! and to trade limited draft picks to chase this kind of quality seems asinine. There is a reason he decided to come out this year...he would be lost among a sea of better QB talent in next years draft.
Watson and Mahomes were a part of an apparent weak class.

Also... Tua and Fromm are can't miss prospects? The only QB that looks like a lock is Trevor Lawerence. I think Haskins will be a better pro than both Tua and Fromm. I put Haskins behind only Baker and Darnold from last year.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM by JackCity.)

(01-17-2019, 01:05 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Explain for us how Haskins is "too flawed."

Based on his limited play, he is a first read QB that struggles with pressure. He requires a clean pocket to be accurate, if he didn't already prematurely scramble.

Pretty generic analysis. Most college QBs "struggle Vs pressure" , most NFL QBs do too.  Haskins is bad Vs pressure atm but that's to be expected at this point.

As for reads you can only judge him on the scheme he runs but there are multiple examples in every game of him making multiple reads on NFL concepts, even if it's relatively easy scheme to get production out of, similar to Clemson's  or Oklahoma's.  The term "one read QB" is lazy and ignores the keys , presnap and post snap decisions *every* QB in spread/air raid schemes has to make.

He doesn't really scramble much either unless it's a last resort.

It's a tough decision no doubt. For me I'm going to say I'm on the Foles train. It just seems like he was a late bloomer who finally turned a corner in Philly. I don't know if it was a maturity thing, a coaching thing or a system thing but something clicked and this guy has really come on.

Now can he continue to play at high level in Jacksonville? Who really knows, all I do know is I like his chances with Defilippo as his OC given their history.

As far as Haskins goes I am not against it in any way. I would be just as excited if the Jags got him at pick #7 just because of the potential of what he may be able to do in this league. I'll admit I don't follow college football like I do the NFL so I rely on highlight videos and other people's insight of certain players and do a little homework myself to come to a conclusion.

Obviously it's a roll of the dice either way.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM by B2hibry.)

(01-17-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Against what competition? Penn and Michigan who subsequently got smoked in their respective bowl games? Look, he may be the best among this draft class but that is like saying he's the tallest midget. This class stinks! and to trade limited draft picks to chase this kind of quality seems asinine. There is a reason he decided to come out this year...he would be lost among a sea of better QB talent in next years draft.
Watson and Mahomes were a part of an apparent weak class.

Also... Tua and Fromm are can't miss prospects? The only QB that looks like a lock is Trevor Lawerence. I think Haskins will be a better pro than both Tua and Fromm. I put Haskins behind only Baker and Darnold from last year.
Watson and Mahomes at least played three years to enhance their play. Even without the ability of hindsight, I liked those guys coming out of college. This Haskins guy just completed his first year as a starter and I don't have the same feeling.

In my opinion Tua is overrated and strictly a product of coaching and outstanding personnel around him. Fromm will end up being more successful if/when either get drafted. Everyone knew Baker was going to be a baller if he could stow the attitude. From a talent standpoint, safe pick there. Darnold, I was never high on but showed room for growth because he played disciplined, albeit safe. I liked what I saw from him this year.

Haskins, I don't see the disciplined pocket passer. I don't see that gamer that can come from behind. I don't see a guy that can take hits and still stand tall. I don't see the "it" factor. It doesn't mean he can't fufill all of those and more but in my opinion there is too much risk chasing those unknowns. I think a lot of teams would feel better seeing him another year or two in college but reality is, he and his agent were smart to jump and enter a weak draft. Some team will bet the farm and I hope it isn't the Jags.

(01-17-2019, 01:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:05 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Based on his limited play, he is a first read QB that struggles with pressure. He requires a clean pocket to be accurate, if he didn't already prematurely scramble.

Pretty generic analysis. Most college QBs "struggle Vs pressure" , most NFL QBs do too.  Haskins is bad Vs pressure atm but that's to be expected at this point.

As for reads you can only judge him on the scheme he runs but there are multiple examples in every game of him making multiple reads on NFL concepts, even if it's relatively easy scheme to get production out of, similar to Clemson's  or Oklahoma's.  The term "one read QB" is lazy and ignores the keys , presnap and post snap decisions *every* QB in spread/air raid schemes has to make.

Call it what you will but what more can you use to analyze? His body of work is too minescule to garner any type of specifics other than those provided. That is the point in all of this. How can you be so sure as to bet your future on a guy that is this raw and unknown?

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM by Cleatwood.)

(01-17-2019, 01:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Watson and Mahomes were a part of an apparent weak class.

Watson and Mahomes at least played three years to enhance their play. Even without the ability of hindsight, I liked those guys coming out of college. This Haskins guy just completed his first year as a starter and I don't have the same feeling.

In my opinion Tua is overrated and strictly a product of coaching and outstanding personnel around him. Fromm will end up being more successful if/when either get drafted. Everyone knew Baker was going to be a baller if he could stow the attitude. From a talent standpoint, safe pick there. Darnold, I was never high on but showed room for growth because he played disciplined, albeit safe. I liked what I saw from him this year.

Haskins, I don't see the disciplined pocket passer. I don't see that gamer that can come from behind. I don't see a guy that can take hits and still stand tall. I don't see the "it" factor. It doesn't mean he can't fufill all of those and more but in my opinion there is too much risk chasing those unknowns. I think a lot of teams would feel better seeing him another year or two in college but reality is, he and his agent were smart to jump and enter a weak draft. Some team will bet the farm and I hope it isn't the Jags.

(01-17-2019, 01:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty generic analysis. Most college QBs "struggle Vs pressure" , most NFL QBs do too.  Haskins is bad Vs pressure atm but that's to be expected at this point.

Call it what you will but what more can you use to analyze? His body of work is too minescule to garner any type of specifics other than those provided. That is the point in all of this. How can you be so sure as to bet your future on a guy that is this raw and unknown?
Barrett got hurt last year and Haskins came in for him in the 3rd quarter and led a comeback AT Michigan. He also led comebacks this season AT Maryland and AT Penn State.

Your last sentence can be said about every single prospect ever.