Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dwayne Haskins (MERGED)

(02-20-2019, 11:37 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Not going to deny he has talent but saying football IQ is off the charts is a little exaggerated. I've seen those twitter clips and each example is a basic coverage read. It was QB 101 from pop warner. What I do take away from it is he really trusts his eyes and doesn't mind taking the risk by throwing into tight windows or what should be open zones. He has decent anticipation but it remains to be seen if that translates to the NFL where he will play better, disquised defense far superior to Washington Huskies meh defense.

The Huskies thats 12th in the country in defense and has multiple NFL players on it? In what world is that a meh college defense?

telling on yourself

Yes, pac-12 meh!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-20-2019, 03:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:37 AM)JackCity Wrote: The Huskies thats 12th in the country in defense and has multiple NFL players on it? In what world is that a meh college defense?

telling on yourself

Yes, pac-12 meh!

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Meeechigan a top ranked defense as well?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-20-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Not going to deny he has talent but saying football IQ is off the charts is a little exaggerated. I've seen those twitter clips and each example is a basic coverage read. It was QB 101 from pop warner. What I do take away from it is he really trusts his eyes and doesn't mind taking the risk by throwing into tight windows or what should be open zones. He has decent anticipation but it remains to be seen if that translates to the NFL where he will play better, disquised defense far superior to Washington Huskies meh defense.
Well it remains to be seen if any prospect can do anything against NFL defenses. That has nothing to do with the point.

All you can do is project how players will translate and what Haskins is doing presnap translates well to the NFL. The defenses will get better but... so can Haskins.
Speaking of missing the point. The fanboyism is blinding! The point was a few twitter clips showing basic reads does not a high football IQ make and it remains to be seen if he gets into trouble trusting his eyes too much and attempting to throw receivers open against far superior defenses. I would argue it has EVERYTHING to do with point. It’s okay to be critical of weaknesses and think a dude is decent. You glossed over that. Trouble happens when ignoring those weaknesses and think he is the next coming.... How many times now here in Jax? 

So I clarify...my opinion is he is a good prospect, but I have concerns with his reads and throwing the ball up for grabs. It works at the college level, not so much in the NFL. I think with his natural ability, he can be taught the important pieces and would make for a good project QB. I don’t know that if throwing him out as a day one saviors is such as good idea. Of course, a training camp would serve to help clear that question up.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 04:23 PM by JackCity.)

(02-20-2019, 03:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:37 AM)JackCity Wrote: The Huskies thats 12th in the country in defense and has multiple NFL players on it? In what world is that a meh college defense?

telling on yourself

Yes, pac-12 meh!

Pac 12 or not they've been a really good college defense for a while now, they held Washington State to 150 yards passing in 2018, only allowed 17 ppg total.

Michigan had an elite defense also. Haskins blew the doors off both of them.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 04:30 PM by rpr52121.)

(02-20-2019, 03:27 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well it remains to be seen if any prospect can do anything against NFL defenses. That has nothing to do with the point.

All you can do is project how players will translate and what Haskins is doing presnap translates well to the NFL. The defenses will get better but... so can Haskins.
Speaking of missing the point. The fanboyism is blinding! The point was a few twitter clips showing basic reads does not a high football IQ make and it remains to be seen if he gets into trouble trusting his eyes too much and attempting to throw receivers open against far superior defenses. I would argue it has EVERYTHING to do with point. It’s okay to be critical of weaknesses and think a dude is decent. You glossed over that. Trouble happens when ignoring those weaknesses and think he is the next coming.... How many times now here in Jax? 

So I clarify...my opinion is he is a good prospect, but I have concerns with his reads and throwing the ball up for grabs. It works at the college level, not so much in the NFL. I think with his natural ability, he can be taught the important pieces and would make for a good project QB. I don’t know that if throwing him out as a day one saviors is such as good idea. Of course, a training camp would serve to help clear that question up.

Virtually every other QB prospect this year has this issue too though. Murray is definitely no better than Haskins. Jones is a bit safer here, but not by much.

(02-20-2019, 04:30 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 03:27 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Speaking of missing the point. The fanboyism is blinding! The point was a few twitter clips showing basic reads does not a high football IQ make and it remains to be seen if he gets into trouble trusting his eyes too much and attempting to throw receivers open against far superior defenses. I would argue it has EVERYTHING to do with point. It’s okay to be critical of weaknesses and think a dude is decent. You glossed over that. Trouble happens when ignoring those weaknesses and think he is the next coming.... How many times now here in Jax? 

Virtually every other QB prospect this year has this issue too though. Murray is definitely no better than Haskins. Jones is a bit safer here, but not by much.
No doubt! I think I said it before in one of the many QB posts... Haskins is the best of the mediocre. Just my opinion, but I don't find this QB class very strong. I'm fine with grabbing a top guy if he falls to us but mortgaging a future on this class I would hope we could avoid. I would hope the Jags don't enter QB desperation mode like a lot of folks on the board have.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-20-2019, 02:19 PM)FBT Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 09:07 AM)copycat Wrote: You mean like reading a defense and anticipating when and where to throw the ball?
Have you watched the video with Haskins and DiNardo?  His football IQ and pocket awareness are off the chain.  It's those intangibles that impress the heck out of me.

And this thread will be merged soon.

Agreed.  I've watched a few of his breakdowns, and the kid just has a great grasp of the game, and a feel for the position that we haven't seen here since probably Brunell.  

Watch this breakdown of the Michigan game, and where his head was at in the pocket.  A lot of that can't be taught.  It's just instinctual.

I didn't notice this when I posted a shorter version of this a few days ago, but he's wearing teal.

He looks good in teal!   Big Grin

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 07:40 PM by rpr52121.)

(02-20-2019, 05:09 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 04:30 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Virtually every other QB prospect this year has this issue too though. Murray is definitely no better than Haskins. Jones is a bit safer here, but not by much.
No doubt! I think I said it before in one of the many QB posts... Haskins is the best of the mediocre. Just my opinion, but I don't find this QB class very strong. I'm fine with grabbing a top guy if he falls to us but mortgaging a future on this class I would hope we could avoid. I would hope the Jags don't enter QB desperation mode like a lot of folks on the board have.

Then we agree. I've never argued mortgaging the future for a QB is the best play. Giving up 1 pick is about the most I would ever argue for, and only if they feel the prospect is only guy they can trust for the next few years.

Historically it never works for QB's. Prior to the past 3 years, I think only Flacco and Eli were QBs involved in trade up trade that won Super Bowls, even then the Ravens first traded back before trading up and the Giants gave up Rivers. Arguably Wentz could have won if healthy in 2017, but it's debatable. Goff and Mahomes both look promising but have not done it yet.

(02-20-2019, 03:09 PM)copycat Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 03:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Yes, pac-12 meh!

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Meeechigan a top ranked defense as well?

Michigan and Washington were both top 10 ranked Defenses when Haskins played against them.

(02-20-2019, 07:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 05:09 PM)B2hibry Wrote: No doubt! I think I said it before in one of the many QB posts... Haskins is the best of the mediocre. Just my opinion, but I don't find this QB class very strong. I'm fine with grabbing a top guy if he falls to us but mortgaging a future on this class I would hope we could avoid. I would hope the Jags don't enter QB desperation mode like a lot of folks on the board have.

Then we agree. I've never argued mortgaging the future for a QB is the best play. Giving up 1 pick is about the most I would ever argue for, and only if they feel the prospect is only guy they can trust for the next few years.

Historically it never works for QB's. Prior to the past 3 years, I think only Flacco and Eli were QBs involved in trade up trade that won Super Bowls, even then the Ravens first traded back before trading up and the Giants gave up Rivers. Arguably Wentz could have won if healthy in 2017, but it's debatable. Goff and Mahomes both look promising but have not done it yet.
Historically, most teams drafting in the top 10 are there because they need a QB. So it’s hard to draft up for them when a lot of teams in the top 5 need them. 

Lets also not forget how difficult it has been for just about any QB to win the AFC. Brady, Flacco, Manning and Ben are the only QBs to play for the AFC in the SB in the past like 20 years.

(02-20-2019, 08:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 07:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Then we agree. I've never argued mortgaging the future for a QB is the best play. Giving up 1 pick is about the most I would ever argue for, and only if they feel the prospect is only guy they can trust for the next few years.

Historically, most teams drafting in the top 10 are there because they need a QB. So it’s hard to draft up for them when a lot of teams in the top 5 need them. 

Lets also not forget how difficult it has been for just about any QB to win the AFC. Brady, Flacco, Manning and Ben are the only QBs to play for the AFC in the SB in the past like 20 years.

That is just crazy!  And when you think about it Flacco is lucky to even be on this list.  Without that defense he never sniffs a SB.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-20-2019, 08:25 PM)copycat Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 08:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Historically, most teams drafting in the top 10 are there because they need a QB. So it’s hard to draft up for them when a lot of teams in the top 5 need them. 

That is just crazy!  And when you think about it Flacco is lucky to even be on this list.  Without that defense he never sniffs a SB.
He’s so lucky. If that safety doesn’t take an absolutely atrocious angle on that bomb to Jacoby Jones, the Broncos win that game and head to the SB.

Flacco played well in the playoffs with 11 TDS and no picks but that play stands out to me as one of the luckiest I’ve seen.

(02-20-2019, 08:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 08:25 PM)copycat Wrote: That is just crazy!  And when you think about it Flacco is lucky to even be on this list.  Without that defense he never sniffs a SB.
He’s so lucky. If that safety doesn’t take an absolutely atrocious angle on that bomb to Jacoby Jones, the Broncos win that game and head to the SB.

Flacco played well in the playoffs with 11 TDS and no picks but that play stands out to me as one of the luckiest I’ve seen.

Rahim Moore was the safety on that play. He's playing in the AAF now.

(02-11-2019, 11:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 05:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/kp_show/status/10939...12480?s=21
Throwing guys open and throwing with anticipation?

Jags haven't seen a QB do that in 10+ years.

Bortles was often throwing ARob and Hurns open back in 2015.
'02

(02-22-2019, 02:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 11:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Throwing guys open and throwing with anticipation?

Jags haven't seen a QB do that in 10+ years.

Bortles was often throwing ARob and Hurns open back in 2015.
I don't remember that.  He threw lots of 50/50 balls to A-Rob and Lee had to adjust or make a contested catch on 75% or more of his targets that season by my recollection.  

I'd put the total percentage of 2015 Bortles passes that made the receiver's job easier instead of more difficult somewhere around 10-15%.  And that may be generous. 

He put balls in places where receivers could make a play on the ball. He didn't lead them open or away from traffic very well at all. I'm also pretty sure he "led" Hurns right into a concussion in November of that season.

(02-23-2019, 11:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 02:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Bortles was often throwing ARob and Hurns open back in 2015.
I don't remember that.  He threw lots of 50/50 balls to A-Rob and Lee had to adjust or make a contested catch on 75% or more of his targets that season by my recollection.  

I'd put the total percentage of 2015 Bortles passes that made the receiver's job easier instead of more difficult somewhere around 10-15%.  And that may be generous. 

He put balls in places where receivers could make a play on the ball. He didn't lead them open or away from traffic very well at all. I'm also pretty sure he "led" Hurns right into a concussion in November of that season.
Bingo

(02-23-2019, 11:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 02:40 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Bortles was often throwing ARob and Hurns open back in 2015.

Isn't it also easier to catch a ball with a tighter spiral than one that has a high degree of wobble?

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 10:09 AM by Cleatwood.)

(02-20-2019, 11:11 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Haskins football IQ is off the charts. He makes so many reads presnap and he’s only had 1 season as a starter. Look up EZlazar on twitter. He’s got a great little thread about Haskins reading the coverages and making throws. I think that’s what sets Haskins apart from not only this class but just about every QB in the class last year.

Not going to deny he has talent but saying football IQ is off the charts is a little exaggerated. I've seen those twitter clips and each example is a basic coverage read. It was QB 101 from pop warner. What I do take away from it is he really trusts his eyes and doesn't mind taking the risk by throwing into tight windows or what should be open zones. He has decent anticipation but it remains to be seen if that translates to the NFL where he will play better, disquised defense far superior to Washington Huskies meh defense.
[Image: 7iNueHDC_bigger.jpg][b]Tom PelisseroVerified account [/b]

Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins starts every day with nearly 2 hours of board work, and the coach who has trained him since HS told me Haskins will blow away NFL teams at the combine with his football IQ

Haskins is still my favorite way to go for the Jags at QB.

If they go with Foles, I hope they trade down, accumulate picks, take Grier to develop and load up on offensive supporting cast.

There are other options that represent an upgrade to Bortles, but these are the two that I’d be most excited about.

(02-28-2019, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Haskins is still my favorite way to go for the Jags at QB.

If they go with Foles, I hope they trade down, accumulate picks, take Grier to develop and load up on offensive supporting cast.

There are other options that represent an upgrade to Bortles, but these are the two that I’d be most excited about.

How would you feel about Haskins AND Foles?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]