Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

I'm just biding my time for the Haskins ball washers to shut their mouths when it turns out he doesn't have the mental fortitude to succeed in the NFL. I hope we get Foles and let a young QB sit while he's here.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2019, 12:48 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I'm just biding my time for the Haskins ball washers to shut their mouths when it turns out he doesn't have the mental fortitude to succeed in the NFL. I hope we get Foles and let a young QB sit while he's here.

You use the term "mental fortitude" a lot. I'm interested on how you know if Haskins has it or not?

(03-04-2019, 09:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: This is the time of year when fans all seem to think their favorite college QB is the next Tom Brady.   And an alarming number of them bust completely and set their teams back for years.  

Foles is a competent QB who has been Super Bowl MVP.   Is Foles better than Bortles?  Obviously.  Maybe much better.   We've been needing a competent QB for years now.   Here he is.  

This saves our first round pick for other positions of need.
Soooo never draft a QB?

The Jags need consistency at the QB position and the best way to get that is to draft a young one. Foles will be here for what... 2 years? Then it’s back to the drawing board.

Here are some recent first round picks.  Consistency?   Don't discount the risk involved in drafting a QB.   

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Any chance we can sign Foles and trade for Rosen? He's only 22, and this will give him a chance to develop behind Foles.
"There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards." - Ari Gold

(03-05-2019, 07:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Soooo never draft a QB?

The Jags need consistency at the QB position and the best way to get that is to draft a young one. Foles will be here for what... 2 years? Then it’s back to the drawing board.

Here are some recent first round picks.  Consistency?   Don't discount the risk involved in drafting a QB.   

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

I don't get it.  So there's no risk in Foles?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-05-2019, 08:06 AM)Pick 6 Wrote: Any chance we can sign Foles and trade for Rosen? He's only 22, and this will give him a chance to develop behind Foles.

If we could get Rosen for a 3rd I'd do it

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM by SeldomRite.)

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Another list of QBs taken since 2011:

Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Baker Mayfield

Would you rather have Foles than any of those guys? Maybe Carr and Goff.

Point is the great QBs are in the draft, you just have to have talent evaluators that are actually worth their money, something which is unsurprisingly hard to find in a league rife with cronyism and nepotism. If it wasn't all about getting their friends and relatives million dollar a year jobs in sure the Jaguars would have found a franchise QB by now. The problem is these guys making millions to know who is good can't even tell who is good until it's blindingly obvious like in the case of Ramsey.

When I look at Foles I see just another backup level QB. If the Jaguars can win a Superbowl with someone like him they definitely could do it with a competent rookie.

(03-05-2019, 08:37 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 07:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here are some recent first round picks.  Consistency?   Don't discount the risk involved in drafting a QB.   

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Another list of QBs taken since 2011:

Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Baker Mayfield

Point is the great QBs are in the draft, you just have to have talent evaluators that are actually worth their money, something which is unsurprisingly hard to find in a league rife with cronyism and nepotism. If it wasn't all about getting their friends and relatives million dollar a year jobs in sure the Jaguars would have found a franchise QB by now. The problem is these guys making millions to know who is good can't even tell who is good until it's blindingly obvious like in the case of Ramsey.

When I look at Foles I see just another backup level QB. If the Jaguars can win a Superbowl with someone like him they definitely could do it with a competent rookie.

At least you know what Foles is.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM by Cleatwood.)

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel
Soooo never draft a QB?

Consistent winning comes from drafting your own QB. That’s really not even debatable. Eagles are dumping their FA QB for the one they traded up for. Of course we don’t know how rookies will play out but guess what... we also have no clue how Foles will do in Jacksonville. He has only had success in Philly where he had an elite OLine and a multitude of weapons. If Foles fails, then what? You wan to sign another FA QB because you know who they are? Or do you draft one?

I’ve said it a lot (obviously) but Haskins has the ability to be elite. He has a big arm and he’s accurate but his best trait is his mind. 

Time will tell obviously.

(03-05-2019, 08:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 08:37 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Another list of QBs taken since 2011:

Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Baker Mayfield

At least you know what Foles is.
Yea. Average.

Do people really have the expectation that a FA QB signing will give us the opportunity to go to the SB? Stop that silliness. We just need one who can help us achieve a winning record, maybe a playoff appearance, or two, until we can get our star franchise draft pick prepared and the pieces in place for him. Isn’t that the definition of a “bridge” quarterback?

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 09:37 AM by SeldomRite.)

(03-05-2019, 09:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Do people really have the expectation that a FA QB signing will give us the opportunity to go to the SB? Stop that silliness. We just need one who can help us achieve a winning record, maybe a playoff appearance, or two, until we can get our star franchise  draft pick prepared and the pieces in place for him. Isn’t that the definition of a “bridge” quarterback?

It blows my mind that people think like this. What you're saying is the expectation is a QB comes in and ruins draft position for a few years with no chance at a Superbowl. If the idea isn't winning Superbowls just stick with Bortles and make all the favorable trades you can to amass draft capital until a guy you think is a real franchise QB is available.

(03-05-2019, 09:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Do people really have the expectation that a FA QB signing will give us the opportunity to go to the SB? Stop that silliness. We just need one who can help us achieve a winning record, maybe a playoff appearance, or two, until we can get our star franchise  draft pick prepared and the pieces in place for him. Isn’t that the definition of a “bridge” quarterback?

It blows my mind that people think like this. What you're saying is the expectation is a QB comes in and ruins draft position for a few years with no chance at a Superbowl. If the idea isn't winning Superbowls just stick with Bortles and make all the favorable trades you can to amass draft capital until a guy you think is a real franchise QB is available.

Yeah, that ‘build from the basement’ strategy has worked well for the last 11 years or so, hasn’t it?

(03-05-2019, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It blows my mind that people think like this. What you're saying is the expectation is a QB comes in and ruins draft position for a few years with no chance at a Superbowl. If the idea isn't winning Superbowls just stick with Bortles and make all the favorable trades you can to amass draft capital until a guy you think is a real franchise QB is available.

Yeah, that ‘build from the basement’ strategy has worked well for the last 11 years or so, hasn’t it?

I don't even understand what point you think you're making. The Jaguars have been bad for years so stop trying to be great and instead make moves designed to be mediocre?

Fellas Nick Foles is a average QB with magical moments. Unless we get the 2012 Foles or Post Season Foles while he’s in Jax this will be a terrible signing

I'm fine with this IF... and huge IF... I personally felt like we had a competent FO. What you suggested is essentially what the Chiefs did. They got Alex Smith, they weren't completely trash with him... and they had the FO scout and move up and get Mahomes. Chiefs made the playoffs... and still moved up in the 2017 draft to get their guy from slot 27 to 10. That'd be amazing if I had that same confidence in this FO. I just don't at all. HOPEFULLY.... it works out the same... I would love to get Foles AND Haskins! We shall see.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 10:22 AM by homebiscuit.)

(03-05-2019, 09:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Yeah, that ‘build from the basement’ strategy has worked well for the last 11 years or so, hasn’t it?

I don't even understand what point you think you're making. The Jaguars have been bad for years so stop trying to be great and instead make moves designed to be mediocre?

With the glaring exception of a QB and offensive line, we’re actually mediocre and on the cusp of really good. With a franchise QB draft pick in mind this year, this team can be great in 2-3 years. But the question is what QB is available out there who can take us to the promised land this year? Even if it is Foles, do we have the players around him to go all the way. I don’t think so. Maybe next year. My point is about tempering expectations. Even if we could sign Tom Brady, we’re not going to the SB this year. Let’s be realistic and bide our time by drafting THIS year for future success. In the mean time, we sign a QB who can provide the most potential for winning now with the realization that we’re not hoisting the Lombardi trophy this year.

(03-05-2019, 09:58 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

I'm fine with this IF... and huge IF... I personally felt like we had a competent FO. What you suggested is essentially what the Chiefs did. They got Alex Smith, they weren't completely trash with him... and they had the FO scout and move up and get Mahomes. Chiefs made the playoffs... and still moved up in the 2017 draft to get their guy from slot 27 to 10. That'd be amazing if I had that same confidence in this FO. I just don't at all. HOPEFULLY.... it works out the same... I would love to get Foles AND Haskins! We shall see.

We’re in agreement. This is what I have in mind, but there’s always that $64,000 FO question.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 10:26 AM by SeldomRite.)

(03-05-2019, 10:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I don't even understand what point you think you're making. The Jaguars have been bad for years so stop trying to be great and instead make moves designed to be mediocre?

With the glaring exception of a QB and offensive line, we’re actually mediocre and on the cusp of really good. With a franchise QB draft pick in mind this year, this team can be great in 2-3 years. But the question is what QB is available out there who can take us to the promised land this year? Even if it is Foles, do we have the players around him to go all the way. I don’t think so. Maybe next year. My point is about tempering expectations. Even if we could sign Tom Brady, we’re not going to the SB this year. Let’s be realistic and bide our time by drafting THIS year for future success. In the mean time, we sign a QB who can provide the most potential for winning now with the realization that we’re not hoisting the Lombardi trophy this year.

(03-05-2019, 09:58 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'm fine with this IF... and huge IF... I personally felt like we had a competent FO. What you suggested is essentially what the Chiefs did. They got Alex Smith, they weren't completely trash with him... and they had the FO scout and move up and get Mahomes. Chiefs made the playoffs... and still moved up in the 2017 draft to get their guy from slot 27 to 10. That'd be amazing if I had that same confidence in this FO. I just don't at all. HOPEFULLY.... it works out the same... I would love to get Foles AND Haskins! We shall see.

We’re in agreement. This is what I have in mind, but there’s always that $64,000 FO question.

I agree the Jaguars won't win the Superbowl with Foles anyway so don't even sign him. Draft a rookie, play him, and move some money forward for guys like Ramsey and ngakoue who will be getting paid. I don't see the point is paying a guy like Foles more than backup money.

(03-05-2019, 12:48 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I'm just biding my time for the Haskins ball washers to shut their mouths when it turns out he doesn't have the mental fortitude to succeed in the NFL. I hope we get Foles and let a young QB sit while he's here.

You gonna come here and eat crow when he's good?  Or even provide evidence of any kind for this asinine argument?

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM by Bullseye.)

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Mason Rudolph was a 3rd round pick just last year, who is sitting behind  a hall of famer.

Let's pump the brakes a little on calling him a bust.

Your overall point is sound, though the bust rate would not dissuade me from drafting a QB in the first.

(03-05-2019, 08:06 AM)Pick 6 Wrote: Any chance we can sign Foles and trade for Rosen? He's only 22, and this will give him a chance to develop behind Foles.

I would think that is a possibility., even if unlikely.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-05-2019, 10:26 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 10:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: With the glaring exception of a QB and offensive line, we’re actually mediocre and on the cusp of really good. With a franchise QB draft pick in mind this year, this team can be great in 2-3 years. But the question is what QB is available out there who can take us to the promised land this year? Even if it is Foles, do we have the players around him to go all the way. I don’t think so. Maybe next year. My point is about tempering expectations. Even if we could sign Tom Brady, we’re not going to the SB this year. Let’s be realistic and bide our time by drafting THIS year for future success. In the mean time, we sign a QB who can provide the most potential for winning now with the realization that we’re not hoisting the Lombardi trophy this year.

I agree the Jaguars won't win the Superbowl with Foles anyway so don't even sign him. Draft a rookie, play him, and move some money forward for guys like Ramsey and ngakoue who will be getting paid. I don't see the point is paying a guy like Foles more than backup money.

I agree, to a point. While we want to free up money, we also don’t want another 5-11 season with a ruined rookie QB who was thrown into the fire before having sufficient time to develop. That will ensure another decade in the wilderness. It’s a delicate balance that, hopefully, our FO can achieve. I don’t know if Foles is the answer as a bridge QB, but my spidey sense tells me we need to draft our franchise QB this year. The time is now.