Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

(03-05-2019, 12:48 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I'm just biding my time for the Haskins ball washers to shut their mouths when it turns out he doesn't have the mental fortitude to succeed in the NFL. I hope we get Foles and let a young QB sit while he's here.

You know this through your extensive conversations with him, watching him on the board, or is there some other basis for this particular statement of this particular prospect?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Mike Kaye on Foles to Jags:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/03/i-cove...ssion=true

(03-05-2019, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Mike Kaye on Foles to Jags:

Encouraging.

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  +1
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I like his takes.  He seems to know what we all have known for sometime now about needing OL depth and the other position groups needing improvement.  I'm done with the Bortles talkm, but i'm a little confused on the foles take.  We have known that this offense lacked talent and a competent gameplan to succeed unless the run game was lights out.  Bringing in a 30 yr old backup QB to take over and saying we still need to fix the issues that have been holding the team back  on O, is a big risk.  It's not like we have been moving right along with the offensive players we have so what are people expecting.  The article says Great teams are Great teams and a QB is not going to carry the offense, especially with no superstars.  

Same Scenario, Older Quarterback.   So what am i missing that Foles is suppose to be bringing to the table instead of drafting a new QB or fixing those same holes we already know about.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(03-05-2019, 09:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Do people really have the expectation that a FA QB signing will give us the opportunity to go to the SB? Stop that silliness. We just need one who can help us achieve a winning record, maybe a playoff appearance, or two, until we can get our star franchise  draft pick prepared and the pieces in place for him. Isn’t that the definition of a “bridge” quarterback?

I really don't want to pay a bridge QB 20mil a year, though.

I also think that if you are paying a guy that much, you should expect them to win in the big games.  That's why we're debating who is replacing our currrent QB, who makes just shy of that number.

(03-05-2019, 12:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

I like his takes.  He seems to know what we all have known for sometime now about needing OL depth and the other position groups needing improvement.  I'm done with the Bortles talkm, but i'm a little confused on the foles take.  We have known that this offense lacked talent and a competent gameplan to succeed unless the run game was lights out.  Bringing in a 30 yr old backup QB to take over and saying we still need to fix the issues that have been holding the team back  on O, is a big risk.  It's not like we have been moving right along with the offensive players we have so what are people expecting.  The article says Great teams are Great teams and a QB is not going to carry the offense, especially with no superstars.  

Same Scenario, Older Quarterback.   So what am i missing that Foles is suppose to be bringing to the table instead of drafting a new QB or fixing those same holes we already know about.

This is what I came away with as well.  If we need to fix all the things that hindered Bortles for Foles to be successful then what is the point of picking up Nick?

It was also nice to see a national writer point out the passion of this fan base.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-05-2019, 12:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

What are you missing?

Seems you are missing the fact that Foles throws the football with more accuracy and better timing than Blake Bortles. Not just an “older quarterback.” A better quarterback. 

Adding a piece or two to the line, finding a real TE, and maybe one more competitor at WR were all obvious goals for the 2019 offseason. That was gong to happen regardless. 

Now those additions will be in place for a QB that gives the Jags a better chance to win games.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 01:29 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(03-05-2019, 01:01 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 12:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I like his takes.  He seems to know what we all have known for sometime now about needing OL depth and the other position groups needing improvement.  I'm done with the Bortles talkm, but i'm a little confused on the foles take.  We have known that this offense lacked talent and a competent gameplan to succeed unless the run game was lights out.  Bringing in a 30 yr old backup QB to take over and saying we still need to fix the issues that have been holding the team back  on O, is a big risk.  It's not like we have been moving right along with the offensive players we have so what are people expecting.  The article says Great teams are Great teams and a QB is not going to carry the offense, especially with no superstars.  

This is what I came away with as well.  If we need to fix all the things that hindered Bortles for Foles to be successful then what is the point of picking up Nick?

It was also nice to see a national writer point out the passion of this fan base.

Definitely, I love the fan recognition as well. 

I just dont get the outlook of those on the pro Foles side.  I debated what Blake didnt have before to be successful, and understand he has had his chances.  I'm weary a rookie will fix anything overnight but a new QB in a new system with no stars around him wont fair much better.  If we've given up on blake cool.  Just acquire some weapons because no QB would be successful with this Offense no matter who we throw under the bus.

(03-05-2019, 01:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 12:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: ....

What are you missing?

Seems you are missing the fact that Foles throws the football with more accuracy and better timing than Blake Bortles. Not just an “older quarterback.” A better quarterback. 

Adding a piece or two to the line, finding a real TE, and maybe one more competitor at WR were all obvious goals for the 2019 offseason. That was gong to happen regardless. 

Now those additions will be in place for a QB that gives the Jags a better chance to win games.

Dont give me the goals speech.  Those were goals for the 2018 season as well and were suppose to help the QB succeed.  Throw blake under the bus cool, but dont tell me a backup QB is more accurate like he's been playing full seasons in recent memory.  I need to see Foles shine without top quality linemen and better WR and an Superstar TE to help.  You're ignoring the obvious just to prove your point.  If Foles was on the Jags last year, that accuracy would probably have taken a huge hit, just sayin.
Season Tix, Section 409

From USA Today

Interesting read as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...060950002/

(03-05-2019, 01:24 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 01:01 PM)copycat Wrote: This is what I came away with as well.  If we need to fix all the things that hindered Bortles for Foles to be successful then what is the point of picking up Nick?

I just dont get the outlook of those on the pro Foles side.  I debated what Blake didnt have before to be successful, and understand he has had his chances.  I'm weary a rookie will fix anything overnight but a new QB in a new system with no stars around him wont fair much better.  If we've given up on blake cool.  Just acquire some weapons because no QB would be successful with this Offense no matter who we throw under the bus.

(03-05-2019, 01:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: What are you missing?

Dont give me the goals speech.  Those were goals for the 2018 season as well and were suppose to help the QB succeed.  Throw blake under the bus cool, but dont tell me a backup QB is more accurate like he's been playing full seasons in recent memory.  I need to see Foles shine without top quality linemen and better WR and an Superstar TE to help.  You're ignoring the obvious just to prove your point.  If Foles was on the Jags last year, that accuracy would probably have taken a huge hit, just sayin.

What the hell does last year have to do with it? 

Do you plan on having a repeat of that offense and it’s injuries?

In a vacuum - one of these QBs throws the football better than the other. And it’s not Blake Bortles. 

You can marginalize the upgrade all you’d like, but to ignore the reality that it is an upgrade is just dumb. 

And I’m not ignoring anything. But I’m getting really close to ignoring your ridiculous clinging to a bad qb.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 06:36 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

(03-05-2019, 01:24 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 01:01 PM)copycat Wrote: This is what I came away with as well.  If we need to fix all the things that hindered Bortles for Foles to be successful then what is the point of picking up Nick?

(03-05-2019, 01:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: What are you missing?

Ummmm what QB other than Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady doesn't require this??? Also, comparing Bortles accuracy to anyone is a losing argument. We all just need top stop defending the guy as a QB. He was a great teammate, a great guy in the community, and lead very well. But he can't throw.... it's plain as day. We've seen that Foles can throw consistently and can make the throws needed. I'm not here saying Foles will be our savior and take us to the SB. But it's definitely much higher with him than with Bortles.... 

The question marks with these rookie QBs coming out are even higher than Foles. I was all in on going after Haskins. But if we get Foles, we can add a possible beast of a TE at 7, snag up an O lineman at 39, get a WR at 71, and another O linemen at the other 3rd; maybe another TE. And that's just the first half of the draft. To me, that's a win...
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Excellent article. I was sorry when Kaye left Jacksonville as he was very knowledgeable. I find this article mostly encouraging for the Jaguars moving forward. Of course, they will need to improve on the offensive line, tight end and receiving corps. Look how much Indy improved their offensive line in one year. The return of Robinson and the addition of a road grader like Lindstrom or Risner will do wonders for the line. I expect Norwell to improve now that he has had one year in the system. I also get the feeling from his article that Hockenson is the strong favorite to be the first round pick.

(03-05-2019, 01:28 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: From USA Today

Interesting read as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...060950002/

Fair points in that article. Jacksonville is not his only option. Miami is a possibility. I would even throw Tampa Bay into the mix as well with Arians now coaching the Buccaneers. 

I am not sure about Washington and New York though. They've seen Foles more than anybody. So it's a fair idea. But I think despite Alex Smith's brutal injury last year they're still left on the hook with him salary wise. And they may not be able to afford Foles. 

The Giants signing Foles would also signify that Manning is done with the Giants. And that they would also potentially pass up on Haskins or Murray. I see a lot of smoke screens in that article if anything. That's why it's been dubbed "premature" by other sources regarding us as well. Just front offices doing what front offices do during the off season.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-05-2019, 01:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 01:24 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Definitely, I love the fan recognition as well. 

What the hell does last year have to do with it? 

Do you plan on having a repeat of that offense and it’s injuries?

In a vacuum - one of these QBs throws the football better than the other. And it’s not Blake Bortles. 

You can marginalize the upgrade all you’d like, but to ignore the reality that it is an upgrade is just dumb. 

And I’m not ignoring anything. But I’m getting really close to ignoring your ridiculous clinging to a bad qb.
This had nothing to do with clinging to Blake.  You want a marginal upgrade when he had wayyy better talent surrounding him. Foles is going to fail with these non thought out expectations.  He will not win until this staff builds a competent offense.  Yea blake needed that too but that's too much common sense.  If you think Foles is going to Brady, Brees or Rodgers this team I'm sorry for u.
Season Tix, Section 409

(03-05-2019, 01:01 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 12:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I like his takes.  He seems to know what we all have known for sometime now about needing OL depth and the other position groups needing improvement.  I'm done with the Bortles talkm, but i'm a little confused on the foles take.  We have known that this offense lacked talent and a competent gameplan to succeed unless the run game was lights out.  Bringing in a 30 yr old backup QB to take over and saying we still need to fix the issues that have been holding the team back  on O, is a big risk.  It's not like we have been moving right along with the offensive players we have so what are people expecting.  The article says Great teams are Great teams and a QB is not going to carry the offense, especially with no superstars.  

The fact that he can actually throw a spiral?

Foles isn't going to save this team, but I don't think anyone here honestly was expecting that

But is he an improvement over Bortles? Absolutely. Blake had to play a perfect game week in and week out in order for the offense to be competent enough to support a great defense. That is not how you win games these days.

I've not been under any illusion that Jacksonville's gonna win 10+ games this next season anyway. They most likely won't. But staying their hand with bortles or just drafting a rookie QB and hoping for a change isn't going to cut it either. It's going to take time to undo the mess that the offense has become. This team is gonna have a new identity under the new OC, and having a veteran QB there to handle the reigns initially is not a bad thing.

If a rookie QB is drafted (And I'm sure we ALL hope that will be the case) There is absolutely no reason to throw them to the wolves; we've already seen how well that whole concept works in regards to both Gabbert and Bortles. Having a guy like Foles as a mentor is a benefit; it isn't like learning from Brady's knee, but that's not to say Foles can't have a positive impact on the position

(03-05-2019, 02:42 PM)Nikowho Wrote: Foles isn't going to save this team, but I don't think anyone here honestly was expecting that

But is he an improvement over Bortles? Absolutely. Blake had to play a perfect game week in and week out in order for the offense to be competent enough to support a great defense. That is not how you win games these days.

I've not been under any illusion that Jacksonville's gonna win 10+ games this next season anyway. They  most likely won't. But staying their hand with bortles or just drafting a rookie QB and hoping for a change isn't going to cut it either. It's going to take time to undo the mess that the offense has become. This team is gonna have a new identity under the new OC, and having a veteran QB there to handle the reigns initially is not a bad thing.

If a rookie QB is drafted (And I'm sure we ALL hope that will be the case) There is absolutely no reason to throw them to the wolves; we've already seen how well that whole concept works in regards to both Gabbert and Bortles. Having a guy like Foles as a mentor is a benefit; it isn't like learning from Brady's knee, but that's not to say Foles can't have a positive impact on the position

Exactly. I don’t know why this is so difficult for some to grasp.

(03-05-2019, 12:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Same Scenario, Older Quarterback.   So what am i missing that Foles is suppose to be bringing to the table instead of drafting a new QB or fixing those same holes we already know about.

The part that stood out to me the most in the article was Foles Leadership.

(03-05-2019, 02:42 PM)Nikowho Wrote: Foles isn't going to save this team, but I don't think anyone here honestly was expecting that

I've not been under any illusion that Jacksonville's gonna win 10+ games this next season anyway. They  most likely won't. But staying their hand with bortles or just drafting a rookie QB and hoping for a change isn't going to cut it either. It's going to take time to undo the mess that the offense has become. This team is gonna have a new identity under the new OC, and having a veteran QB there to handle the reigns initially is not a bad thing.

I've heard this argument from fellow jags fans i know.  I just think Foles will have to learn a new offense and that will take an adjustment period.  We lack above average offensive talent at key positions amd it shows.  I have to get over us overlooking this last year and move on but i knew we needed a QB then.  Going in on Foles makes sense at a reduced price but he will struggle as well unless we acquire more weapons.  I've been yelling for weapons for 2 years now and hopefully we do something adequate.  Yes, Blake has had his time and not done enough; but i want to see how this New Offense looks and what players we acquire.  We need an upgrade on Offense.  Getting a new QB is cute but wont solve the glaring problems we've continued to have.
Season Tix, Section 409