Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

(03-09-2019, 09:20 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 08:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Funnily enough a lot of Fulham fans hate Tony Khan for that reason, he's totally unqualified to be running a football club, as evidenced by this season. 

But analytics have been around much longer than Tony Khan. The eagles use it a ton, Belichick uses it a ton, it just means extra and more advanced data being available , which literally every single team in the league should want used. It's not something to be suspicious of its benefits.
Ultimately, I feel it is still on the GM.  In American football, i feel it can be useful in distinguishing between two similarly rated players.  I’m not totally convinced yet it can be used in the NFL like it has in other sports.

There are tons of uses beyond just being used as a tiebreaker. 

For example  it can highlight players that fit your scheme/system while also redflagging those who don't. So for the Jags they might be looking for an outside corner and use analytics to show them a list of the most successful press corners in the draft and give them all a watch. Then they can cross off the guys they didn't like , run them through more filters and see who does what better etc etc etc. Thats a very basic use but it's very effective.  

Ultimately you still have to evaluate the player correctly, but you have way more info and checks to make sure your are focusing on the right things.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-09-2019, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 08:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I fully expect Foles' price tag to be in that range and I fully expect the Jags to pay it. I'll hate it, but I expect it to happen.
Foles has no market so how can you expect them to give out money like that?

They gave Bortles a significant extension didn't they? If they overpaid for him, they'll definitely overpay for Foles.

(03-09-2019, 10:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Foles has no market so how can you expect them to give out money like that?

They gave Bortles a significant extension didn't they? If they overpaid for him, they'll definitely overpay for Foles.
Well let’s hope they learned their mistake.

(03-09-2019, 10:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 10:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: They gave Bortles a significant extension didn't they? If they overpaid for him, they'll definitely overpay for Foles.
Well let’s hope they learned their mistake.

I hope to god they did, but I'm not counting on it.

(03-09-2019, 02:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 02:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What did I miss?  

I have pored over the last two pages of this thread and haven't seen any numbers assigned to any Foles' demands.

Link?

It’s a number thrown out by an agent in a cbs web article. 

So, it’s really high. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agent...new-deals/

It's not that bad.

Assuming he gets those terms, he would average just under $24 million a year.

It's certainly less per year than cousins, with less guaranteed.

If we're going to upgrade the most important position through free agency, we will have to pay.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-10-2019, 02:17 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 02:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It’s a number thrown out by an agent in a cbs web article. 

So, it’s really high. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agent...new-deals/

It's not that bad.

If we're going to upgrade the most important position through free agency, we will have to pay.

Give the circumstances that would be a miserable contract for Foles. Not gonna happen but bidding against yourself for a low end starter and coming up with that would be a disaster

(03-10-2019, 09:03 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 02:17 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's not that bad.

Give the circumstances that would be a miserable contract for Foles. Not gonna happen but bidding against yourself for a low end starter and coming up with that would be a disaster

I don't think Foles will get that, but assuming he did, that would put him about 8th or 9th in terms of average yearly salary.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

He HAS made a Pro Bowl, he HAS recently won a Super Bowl.

(03-10-2019, 09:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 09:03 AM)JackCity Wrote: Give the circumstances that would be a miserable contract for Foles. Not gonna happen but bidding against yourself for a low end starter and coming up with that would be a disaster

I don't think Foles will get that, but assuming he did, that would put him about 8th or 9th in terms of average yearly salary.

He's also 30 years old and has played approx 1 and half good seasons worth of football so far in his career. 

He's in that low end to average starter tier for me. He's fine if you have to start him, and he's easily better than Blake, just not worth that level of contract.

(03-10-2019, 10:00 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 09:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't think Foles will get that, but assuming he did, that would put him about 8th or 9th in terms of average yearly salary.

He's also 30 years old and has played approx 1 and half good seasons worth of football so far in his career. 

He's in that low end to average starter tier for me. He's fine if you have to start him, and he's easily better than Blake, just not worth that level of contract.

So if he's easily better than Blake, and Blake's currently slated to make, what, 17 million this year, then what's Foles' worth?

(03-10-2019, 10:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 10:00 AM)JackCity Wrote: He's also 30 years old and has played approx 1 and half good seasons worth of football so far in his career. 

So if he's easily better than Blake, and Blake's currently slated to make, what, 17 million this year, then what's Foles' worth?

Well for one I don't think Bortles is worth 17 million, so what he's currently making doesn't increase my opinion on what Foles is worth. No team in the league thinks Blake is worth that anymore.

Case Keenum got 18 million last year so in a normal market Foles would at least get that. But in this current market where there's only going to be us as major players (maybe the dolphins) you have all the leverage to keep him under 20 million. Particularly given how bad the dolphins will be set up Vs us.

(03-10-2019, 10:31 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 10:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote: So if he's easily better than Blake, and Blake's currently slated to make, what, 17 million this year, then what's Foles' worth?

Well for one I don't think Bortles is worth 17 million, so what he's currently making doesn't increase my opinion on what Foles is worth. No team in the league thinks Blake is worth that anymore.

Case Keenum got 18 million last year so in a normal market Foles would at least get that. But in this current market where there's only going to be us as major players (maybe the dolphins) you have all the leverage to keep him under 20 million. Particularly given how bad the dolphins will be set up Vs us.

I think Foles is much better than Keenum.

I see Foles getting less than the figures kicked around above, but more than the $18 million Keenum got, taking that figure at face value.  I believe the lack of teams needing QB will keep the market for Foles down.  However, since the Eagles were willing to give him $20 million, his price would start there.

I think if Foles doesn't sign early (either with us or anyone else) then he is ambivalent about playing.

(03-09-2019, 08:52 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 08:31 PM)Jags Wrote: I don’t disagree with you there.  I understand Tony is a grown [BLEEP], smart man with an education and has a business or two under his belt (or more). But I still question his contributions to the team.  Right or wrong, I still view him as the owner’s kid that acts like a boy in the box.  It wasn’t until he came along until we heard about the analytics of the game.  Perhaps he has contributed in finding some of the talent in the later rounds of drafts.  We don’t know.  I don’t mean to knock Tony, but I feel he has some skills that may not be the best for a role in the organization but he certainly has the enthusiasm as a younger man that has some ownership in the team.

Funnily enough a lot of Fulham fans hate Tony Khan for that reason, he's totally unqualified to be running a football club, as evidenced by this season. 

But analytics have been around much longer than Tony Khan. The eagles use it a ton, Belichick uses it a ton, it just means extra and more advanced data being available , which literally every single team in the league should want used. It's not something to be suspicious of its benefits.

I think Tony would get it fixed if he gets time, which he very well may not be given. If you watched Daryl Morey's Sloan conference rant against how utterly inefficient soccer is I think someone like Tony could come in and make serious hay once he gets it figured out. But I follow many of the Fulham twitter dudes too and it sounds like the old guard pitchforks will come before that happens.

(03-10-2019, 11:02 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 08:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Funnily enough a lot of Fulham fans hate Tony Khan for that reason, he's totally unqualified to be running a football club, as evidenced by this season. 

I think Tony would get it fixed if he gets time, which he very well may not be given. If you watched Daryl Morey's Sloan conference rant against how utterly inefficient soccer is I think someone like Tony could come in and make serious hay once he gets it figured out. But I follow many of the Fulham twitter dudes too and it sounds like the old guard pitchforks will come before that happens.

Watched that, was very interesting although Morey clearly misses some key points when it comes to football. 

To be fair the backlash against Tony is pretty well deserved too. They've made a right mess of the situation, especially with the ticket prices. Fulham fans are right to be highly skeptical of Tony atm

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019, 12:18 PM by JackCity.)

(03-10-2019, 10:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 10:31 AM)JackCity Wrote: Well for one I don't think Bortles is worth 17 million, so what he's currently making doesn't increase my opinion on what Foles is worth. No team in the league thinks Blake is worth that anymore.

I think Foles is much better than Keenum.

I see Foles getting less than the figures kicked around above, but more than the $18 million Keenum got, taking that figure at face value.  I believe the lack of teams needing QB will keep the market for Foles down.  However, since the Eagles were willing to give him $20 million, his price would start there.

I think if Foles doesn't sign early (either with us or anyone else) then he is ambivalent about playing.

I think he's better too, but on the same tier of QB.   

The thing with the 20 million starting point is that must be based on another team being currently willing to give it to him, and I don't think another team is going to do that atm. He can certainly get the Jags up to that, but i doubt thats where the negotiations would start from.

He can either play here or play with a much worse team in the dolphins or take a backup job and hope to be a spot starter somewhere again. Thats v favorable leverage to have

(03-10-2019, 12:05 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 11:02 AM)Upper Wrote: I think Tony would get it fixed if he gets time, which he very well may not be given. If you watched Daryl Morey's Sloan conference rant against how utterly inefficient soccer is I think someone like Tony could come in and make serious hay once he gets it figured out. But I follow many of the Fulham twitter dudes too and it sounds like the old guard pitchforks will come before that happens.

Watched that, was very interesting although Morey clearly misses some key points when it comes to football. 

To be fair the backlash against Tony is pretty well deserved too. They've made a right mess of the situation, especially with the ticket prices. Fulham fans are right to be highly skeptical of Tony atm

Yeah it's obviously super disappointing at the moment. And it might even get worse before it gets better if Tony stays in charge, but I think the analytics would win out in the long run if he is given the chance.

(03-10-2019, 12:32 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 12:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Watched that, was very interesting although Morey clearly misses some key points when it comes to football. 

Yeah it's obviously super disappointing at the moment. And it might even get worse before it gets better if Tony stays in charge, but I think the analytics would win out in the long run if he  is given the chance.

maybe but its nigh on impossible to get premier leagues fans back onside when it gets this bad. Some of it is 100% skepticism with stats and Tony but also it might be best if he hired a "proper football guy" to be the face of football operations and while he implements the rest in the shadows.

He has never played more than 14 games in a season (post + reg aggregate). Not once. They can ask for $20 million all they want, it should definitely not be guaranteed no matter what. Make it incentive based that if Jags get to SB he gets $20 million, because no one here would argue with that.

(03-08-2019, 05:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 03:29 PM)Dimson Wrote: #tankforteddy

This

More like #TankForTeddy to #TankForTLaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 01:17 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

(03-11-2019, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...85280?s=21

Oh boy. If that's true, I feel overpayment is coming..... I pray we can get him under $20mil a year... But I'm sensing $25mil....

Edit: Let me clarify, we all knew that the releases were to make room for him. But I'm sensing that desperation lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!