Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foles, Done deal

(03-12-2019, 03:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:52 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Disgusting.. Huge no thanks.

Why would you want to give up that for an overpaid headcase WR? He's owed $21m and $20m over of the next 2 seasons..

Agree. 

I'd rather trade that pick for more picks and load up on OL, receiving threats, and some RB options behind Fournette.

Then add onto the fact that recent history has shown that giving that kind of money away on WRs gets you nowhere...

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...6630430720

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 04:47 PM by JackCity.)

(03-12-2019, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 12:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: The point of the chart isn't to compare Foles to Mahomes, or any QB bar Wentz. Its specifically referring to the not uncommon opinion that Foles was either better or at least not far away from Wentz's performance in the same scheme, when in reality Wentz was miles better. Focus on the AY/A part and ratio, not the raw production.  

8 ay/a and 54:14 vs 7 ay/a and 21:11 is a massive difference in performance

Does the scoreboard in the stadium adjust for this now?  Or is it still based on production?

Meaning the raw production doesn't matter in the comparison because of course Wentz has way more

(03-12-2019, 04:46 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Does the scoreboard in the stadium adjust for this now?  Or is it still based on production?

Meaning, the raw production doesn't matter here because of course Wentz has way more
OK. Gotcha.

I was referring to the yard per attempt stat myopia versus a viable offense that puts enough points on the board to win football games. 

Getting too caught up in how Foles gets his completions and yards while ignoring the fact that the offense functioned well enough to win that way is a fool's errand. I see that's not where you were going now.

Oh dear let's hope he's not one of those "all he does is win" guys.

(03-12-2019, 04:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 04:46 PM)JackCity Wrote: Meaning, the raw production doesn't matter here because of course Wentz has way more
OK. Gotcha.

I was referring to the yard per attempt stat myopia versus a viable offense that puts enough points on the board to win football games. 

Getting too caught up in how Foles gets his completions and yards while ignoring the fact that the offense functioned well enough to win that way is a fool's errand. I see that's not where you were going now.

"just win baby"

For Foles though I think it is important to keep how he won in context when projecting him over to a new team. He's a very unique case with how small his sample size of performance actually is

Exactly we all hope he does a Drew Brees.

However we are taking a chance. Especially if we pass up a QB in the draft who turns out to be great

Congrats jags. Hope this works out for you.
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM by Jags.)

(03-12-2019, 05:05 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Congrats jags. Hope this works out for you.

Let’s be honest, no you don’t. Smile  But thanks.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM by rpr52121.)

(03-12-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:03 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: But is he? Or was he the victim of terrible QB play?

Lee, Cole, Westbrook and Chark all stand to look better catching balls from Foles than they did from Bortles. 
They simply won't have to adjust so often to poor accuracy and bad timing. (nevermind the ducks)

One thing to really consider regarding the WR's is that Bortles significantly limited the play book which means he limited the route combination available for the WR's. Near the end of Bortles tenure, virtually ever pass was a crossing route, a back shoulder come back, or a go route. 

With Foles, that may significantly open up the routes/trees that this group of WR might be better at running so they can show their talents.

(03-12-2019, 05:46 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee, Cole, Westbrook and Chark all stand to look better catching balls from Foles than they did from Bortles. 
They simply won't have to adjust so often to poor accuracy and bad timing. (nevermind the ducks)

One thing to really consider regarding the WR's is that Bortles significantly limited the play book which means he limited the route combination available for the WR's. Near the end of Bortles tenure, virtually ever pass was a crossing route, a back shoulder come back, or a go route. 

With Foles, that may significantly open up the routes/trees that this group of WR might be better at running so they can show their talents.

DeFilippo will be able to utilize their skillsets more completely for sure. 
Everything was watered down to mitigate mistakes. 

They will still seek to mitigate Foles weaknesses, but he has fewer weaknesses to mitigate by a good margin.

(03-12-2019, 05:32 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 05:05 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Congrats jags. Hope this works out for you.

Let’s be honest, no you don’t. Smile  But thanks.

Well maybe not too much, but i like foles. Think its a good fit for you guys.
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(03-12-2019, 05:46 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee, Cole, Westbrook and Chark all stand to look better catching balls from Foles than they did from Bortles. 

It's a positive thought, but reading what supposed experts have to say about it, Foles is severely limited too. This year the "we just need someone that will be better than Blake" mantra will be tested, as well the notion that Foles even is better than Blake.

(03-12-2019, 06:01 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 05:46 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: One thing to really consider regarding the WR's is that Bortles significantly limited the play book which means he limited the route combination available for the WR's. Near the end of Bortles tenure, virtually ever pass was a crossing route, a back shoulder come back, or a go route. 

It's a positive thought, but reading what supposed experts have to say about it, Foles is severely limited too. This year the "we just need someone that will be better than Blake" mantra will be tested, as well the notion that Foles even is better than Blake.

Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

(03-12-2019, 06:07 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:01 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's a positive thought, but reading what supposed experts have to say about it, Foles is severely limited too. This year the "we just need someone that will be better than Blake" mantra will be tested, as well the notion that Foles even is better than Blake.

Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

At least they shouldn't have to dumb down the playbook for Foles although they may have to tailor the offense for him.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-12-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

At least they shouldn't have to dumb down the playbook for Foles although they may have to tailor the offense for him.

yeah we really need Marrone to go all in on letting De Filippo do his thing and build what he thinks fits best, his job likely depends on it

(03-12-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

Yeah, I think they absolutely have to, and I think the DeFilippo hire indicates they intend to do just that.

(03-12-2019, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote: At least they shouldn't have to dumb down the playbook for Foles although they may have to tailor the offense for him.

Yeah, I think they absolutely have to, and I think the DeFilippo hire indicates they intend to do just that.

sidenote: will we hear from De Filippo tomorrow?

(03-12-2019, 06:49 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, I think they absolutely have to, and I think the DeFilippo hire indicates they intend to do just that.

sidenote: will we hear from De Filippo tomorrow?

It would make a lot of sense for them to put him in front of a mic after the Foles signing is official. 
I hope they do.

(03-12-2019, 06:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: sidenote: will we hear from De Filippo tomorrow?

It would make a lot of sense for them to put him in front of a mic after the Foles signing is official. 
I hope they do.

probably will be 90% airy fairy stuff but maybe we get some small snippets of things he's looking to do. A good question for a local reporter would be to see what he thinks of a power run game and running into heavy numbers.....

(03-12-2019, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote: At least they shouldn't have to dumb down the playbook for Foles although they may have to tailor the offense for him.

I feel like this has already been addressed as the plan Pretty sure that Marrone in one of the press conferences discussed in detail how they want all the coaches, including DeFilippo, to come in and together develop an offensive playoff book this off season for this team.