Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foles, Done deal

(03-12-2019, 06:07 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:01 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's a positive thought, but reading what supposed experts have to say about it, Foles is severely limited too. This year the "we just need someone that will be better than Blake" mantra will be tested, as well the notion that Foles even is better than Blake.

Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

I won't pretend to have watched him play enough football to know what his limits are, but the "experts" are laughing at the jaguars and the massive contact they gave Foles. My guess is the team won't have the kind of injuries they did this year, so there will be a lot of crowing about how much better Foles is than Bortles as he leads the team to 8 or 9 wins, but in my opinion he has to win a Superbowl here, and I don't see it happening with a guy like him that has always failed as a long term starter. Hopefully he can prove that history wrong.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-12-2019, 07:07 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, I think they absolutely have to, and I think the DeFilippo hire indicates they intend to do just that.

I feel like this has already been addressed as the plan Pretty sure that Marrone in one of the press conferences discussed in detail how they want all the coaches, including DeFilippo, to come in and together develop an offensive playoff book this off season for this team.

I'm sure they had this intention, and they may have already come together to analyze the strengths/weaknesses of the offense they have under contract  --  but I seriously doubt they've already drawn up a playbook  designed specifically for a QB they couldn't be certain they'd be able to acquire. 

So they'll need to get going on that pretty soon and tweak it as the offseason progresses and more players are added. 

Regardless - I have confidence that they now have more to work with and that will augment again after free agency and the draft yield more talent.

(03-12-2019, 07:23 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

I won't pretend to have watched him play enough football to know what his limits are, but the "experts" are laughing at the jaguars and the massive contact they gave Foles. My guess is the team won't have the kind of injuries they did this year, so there will be a lot of crowing about how much better Foles is than Bortles as he leads the team to 8 or 9 wins, but in my opinion he has to win a Superbowl here, and I don't see it happening with a guy like him that has always failed as a long term starter. Hopefully he can prove that history wrong.

They'd laugh at any move we make. example:

"I can't believe they signed Foles for that high a price ahahahahahaha"
"I can't believe they're sticking with Bortles hahahahahha"
"I can't believe they're going with Bridgewater, he's not even as good as Bortles hahahahaha"
"I can't believe they're wasting that Defense by going with a rookie QB, they'll never win with a rookie ahahahahah"

Like they could somehow come away with Tom Brady and the news would still be negative; they only know how to bash and badmouth the Jaguars. These "experts" do the laziest research when it comes to our team. If Foles had gone to Miami on the exact same contract they'd be hooting and hollering about what a great signing it was, what a bargain for a SB MVP etc. it's a doublestandard.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-12-2019, 06:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Foles is not severely limited and is undoubtedly better than Blake

I would actually argue that Foles has been viewed as a "place holder" by every team who had him.

He fell into the Eagle starting role with the Vick injury, but then after half a season of Kelly wanted to move on because he didn't believe Foles was good enough.

The Rams got more draft capital in the Foles-Bradford trade. That was the Eagles wanting Bradford, Rams wanting out of the contract, and willing to take flyer on in place holder in Foles/Keenum. Also that Rams team was one of the worst dumpster-fires ever. The owner was doing whatever to piss off the city of St. Louis. The fans had given up on the team. The GM was basically trying to not spend any money whatsoever before they moved to LA. Heck half, the offense players had given up before the season ended. Plus Fisher was a horrible evaluator of QB talent. Essentially, Foles was never in their long term plans.

Then back up in KCC and Eagles before falling into starting role due to injuries in 2017 and 2018.

This is the first time he is really being given a chance as a long term starter.

(03-12-2019, 07:42 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 07:23 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I won't pretend to have watched him play enough football to know ...

I would actually argue that Foles has been viewed as a "place holder" by every team who had him.

This is the first time he is really being given a chance as a long term starter.

I doubt the Jags really see him as a long term starter. I bet they draft his replacement in 2020 and have an out clause in their contract with Foles for 2021. 

The Jags have a defense that will hold a lot of opponents to 20 points or less. They know they can go win a bunch of games without a prolific offense. Foles is what is available to them right now that they view as good enough to get the offense clicking a little better and take advantage of those low opposing point totals.

I think it says a lot that many Philly fans are pissed to lose him and some saw him as a better alternative to Wentz. Well, fans will fan but I think there's something to that.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-12-2019, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Foles is signed.

Trade #7 and both 3rd rounders for OBJ.
Bump.

Looks like I was pretty close.

(03-12-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

At least they shouldn't have to dumb down the playbook for Foles although they may have to tailor the offense for him.

THIS!! Getting real tired of having to rip out chunks of the playbook as guys can't do it. 

Injury is one thing, incompetence is another.

(03-12-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Bump.

They also traded Safety J Peppers still on a rookie deal. He is much better than just a 3rd round pick.

(03-12-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Bump.

And this is why you don't do it... Dude is a headcase.

He just signed a 5year, $95m with $65m guaranteed (richest ever for a WR) contract literally 7 months ago and he already wants more money... LOL

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1105637581696499713

Will Eagles regret keeping Wentz over Foles?

I feel this moves us from despair to wildcard

I hate the Foles deal, not something I can identify with in terms of the direction the Franchise is taking (upgrade to mediocre rather than go for Franchise QB in Draft). But no point in dwelling on it, we need to look towards the draft to build the rest of our offense. As much as I like Haskins, that ship has sailed with Foles. We want immediate results, so we will spend the first on a player that might help us immediately, and sitting a first round QB for 3-4 years doesnt make a lot of sense. That being said, we might get our backup in the middle rounds, who knows.

We desperately lack skill players and TEs, which is why I think we need to go for Hockenson in the first. Then draft O-line (multiple picks), RB, and FS if we cant get anybody in FA. I think we look for a second TE and second RB in the UDFA Market. I would get behind this draft strategy, even though I dont like the Foles signing.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM by nhiverson.)

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/...7550401536

Can't lie if he can do these numbers that will be fantastic.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 10:01 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-12-2019, 10:57 PM)Haterade Wrote: I feel this moves us from despair to wildcard

I feel like it does nothing to improve the Oline - which is a severe problem.

(03-13-2019, 09:58 AM)nhiverson Wrote: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/...7550401536

Teams don't need to blitz us. Our Oline is awful.

(03-13-2019, 09:58 AM)nhiverson Wrote: https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/...7550401536

Teams just wont blitz

(03-13-2019, 10:03 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:

Teams just wont blitz
Great.

Then Foles completes 70% of his passes which is what happens when he has a clean pocket.

(03-13-2019, 10:04 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:03 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Teams just wont blitz
Great.

Then Foles completes 70% of his passes which is what happens when he has a clean pocket.

LOL!!!

(03-13-2019, 10:36 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:04 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Great.

LOL!!!
You do realize in 2017 they were the 11th rated pass blocking team right? And that's without Norwell.

If they're healthy, they will be fine.

(03-12-2019, 10:52 PM)Haterade Wrote: Will Eagles regret keeping Wentz over Foles?

If Wentz has another serious injury or a down year where they miss the playoffs, etc...there will be meltdowns in Philadelphia.  That's pretty much a given.