Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

(05-12-2019, 11:28 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 09:55 AM)VondyP Wrote: it's amusing half of u are still saying stuff about his health. there is no issue with his health or someone would have said it. watch that IG video, ya boy just doesnt want to play, he's a quitter.

Hey Pillsbury doughboy, get lost.  When did you get your psychology degree.  Clue us in on who would have told us.  What a schmuck.

[Image: only-quitters-quit-are-you-quittin-quitt...C383&ssl=1]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wish Telvin the best, and his first obligation should always be to family and personal health.

Having said that, he should’ve told the team before he told IG. I don’t know when he decided to take a year off, but his personal issues don’t preclude him from speaking with team officials about his decision. He doesn’t have to tell them why, but it’s very immature to announce it over social media before notifying your employer.

(05-12-2019, 11:50 AM)VondyP Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 11:28 AM)Rico Wrote: Hey Pillsbury doughboy, get lost.  When did you get your psychology degree.  Clue us in on who would have told us.  What a schmuck.

[Image: only-quitters-quit-are-you-quittin-quitt...C383&ssl=1]

What a loser.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2019, 01:39 PM by JackCity.)

(05-12-2019, 03:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 10:16 PM)continuous Wrote: Can he choose to come back midseason or nahh

If they place him on the NFI list, the rules are the same as the PUP meaning he could potentially return midseason.

(05-11-2019, 11:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: It hasn't stopped you posting either.

Just to clarify, let's say Telvin has experienced some severe CTE like symptoms, what would you propose he do?

Retire from the game.

It's entirely possible he will eventually retire but is just taking it by the year first to see how things progress.

(05-12-2019, 08:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 11:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: It hasn't stopped you posting either.

Just to clarify, let's say Telvin has experienced some severe CTE like symptoms, what would you propose he do?

Announce it, retire, bring awareness. Stop speculating.

And if they've just experienced some issues with his health they may still be finding things out and want to see how it progresses before retiring. 

I don't think empathy is hard in this situation. It's very weird that fans expect people to be completely and 100% transparent about their personal struggles, they don't owe that to anybody but themselves.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM by snowwolf776.)

(05-11-2019, 09:10 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 08:47 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: well hs done with football completly. ny dad said his nfl carree is over now.

Your dad have some kind of inside information?  Because NOBODY knows.

no he doesn't but hes ussalley right. he said bortles was wrong qb,and that fornate was injury prone. bortles ended up not being a great qb,and fornate spent more time on the bench hurt then he has played since being drafted.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

If I’m basing an opinion only on that most recent IG video, he’s a diva that got paid and is comfortable financially and no longer loves football and will likely never play again until the money runs out and he tries too late to make a comeback.

He also might have mental health issues or been high as some suggest and if either is so he’s walking down a dark path in his life. I hope he finds his way to back for his and his family’s sake if this winds up being the case. Sad either way. I don’t see any way this is a 1 year hiatus and he comes back next year and plays at a significant level like this was a non-issue all along. There is clearly an issue.

(05-12-2019, 02:11 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If I’m basing an opinion only on that most recent IG video, he’s a diva that got paid and is comfortable financially and no longer loves football and will likely never play again until the money runs out and he tries too late to make a comeback.

He also might have mental health issues or been high as some suggest and if either is so he’s walking down a dark path in his life.  I hope he finds his way to back for his and his family’s sake if this winds up being the case.  Sad either way.  I don’t see any way this is a 1 year hiatus and he comes back next year and plays at a significant level like this was a non-issue all along.  There is clearly an issue.

He may just be in a spot mentally where he's not ready to focus on football. A lot goes into being ready at this level.
'02

I think his leafy buds are more important than his football buds.

(05-12-2019, 03:41 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I think his leafy buds are more important than his football buds.

Otherwise known as "pulling a Ricky Williams."

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2019, 05:32 PM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

To be honest, my sympathy for him went down with that last IG Story he posted. I mean, if you are dealing with mental health or any sort of serious issues, I can totally understand if you wanna step away from the game. Under those circumstances, I even accept that you dont tell your own team anything and announce it on social media, maybe your issues just prevented you from telling someone. I do think telling the team would have been the right thing to do, but if its serious: whatever.
But to post a video where you are jamming, saying everything is solid and that "ppl need to chill cause its getting "aggravating"" makes me believe he is happy with his financial situation and just doesnt want to play. In that case, I dont really need to see him in a Jaguars Uniform again. Its a weird move, especially the manner in which he set this whole thing up.

Communicate that like a freaking adult, inform your employer in a timely manner and be professional when explaining your reasons, so that everybody can move forward. Jesus Christ.

At this point, I honestly moved on from Telvin Smith.

(05-11-2019, 11:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 07:10 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This team just cant get through an off season quietly.

I'm sad for Telvin and hope whatever the issue is that he can get help for it. It's a bit concerning hearing the Jags not having contact and their statement sounds like this was news to them too.

I get there are bigger things than football but football also gave him all the good things he now has. I hope we see him back, I love Telvin, hes a captain and a leader.

But I have a worrying feeling that hes done.

How in the hell is he a leader? Million of people have problems. He is a quitter, not a leader. His problems clearly aren't severe enough to keep him off social media.

He was a leader for us. He was with us when we were baaaaaad and he seemed to be progressing into one of our core players. This is all seems pretty weird. 

I mean, we are still 4 months from serious football, does he not think hell be ready in time? Why didn't he talk to the team? He skipped voluntary workouts with very little contact it seemed and then announcing on Instagram.

I hope hes actually ok.

Looking at his contract on Spotrac shows a significant increase in base salary for him beginning this year. Also, $5 million of his 2019 salary fully guarantees as of 3/17/19.

I was wondering why this is the year he decided to take off after seeing the base salary increase but then noticed the 3/17 guarantee. You’d have to believe there is some language in his contract that would prevent him from keeping that money considering the circumstances.

(05-10-2019, 05:34 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Telvin will be moving in with Justin Blackmon

stay classy.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM by Mikey.)

(05-11-2019, 11:29 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 02:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: This is very flawed logic. It's nobodies business what struggle Telvin is going through. Just because some players may embrace being an advocate of mental health or whatever by being open about their struggles does NOT mean others should be held to that standard.  

You say "if he owns it". The man is walking away from football to fix whatever is going on, thats owning it. He doesn't owe you or anybody [BLEEP]

(05-11-2019, 10:42 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: No kidding. He’s forfeiting a lot of money to handle whatever it is. That’s a clear display of ownership.

You're misunderstanding what I said. He is doing what he needs to do to recover. Owning it after he has recovered is about being open with his struggles in public. If he wants it, it is there for him. He could help a lot of other people by speaking up.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Some struggles do not need to be aired in public, though. We are all speculating as to the nature of what led to this decision.

Heck, for all we know, the public scrutiny of whatever he's dealing with may be the very cause of why he decided to forego salary and step away completely, rather than try to balance professional football and personal matters. 

I understand this is a disucssion board, and there's no harm in our venturing guesses, but we should also be respectful of his right to keep his business private. If he chooses not to disclose, that should be perfectly fine. Some personal matters do not need to be broadcast.

(05-11-2019, 09:42 PM)Ronster Wrote: He is gonna kick himself if the Jags make it to the Superbowl.

Yeah, because in the grand scheme of things, that is so important.

(05-13-2019, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 11:29 AM)p_rushing Wrote: You're misunderstanding what I said. He is doing what he needs to do to recover. Owning it after he has recovered is about being open with his struggles in public. If he wants it, it is there for him. He could help a lot of other people by speaking up.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Some struggles do not need to be aired in public, though. We are all speculating as to the nature of what led to this decision.

Heck, for all we know, the public scrutiny of whatever he's dealing with may be the very cause of why he decided to forego salary and step away completely, rather than try to balance professional football and personal matters. 

I understand this is a disucssion board, and there's no harm in our venturing guesses, but we should also be respectful of his right to keep his business private. If he chooses not to disclose, that should be perfectly fine. Some personal matters do not need to be broadcast.

(05-11-2019, 09:42 PM)Ronster Wrote: He is gonna kick himself if the Jags make it to the Superbowl.

People in the public eye are a little different. You give up privacy when you do this.

I'm not saying needs to go into details, his statement is plenty clear.

The ownership stuff is if he recovers, he can take a role to help others who aren't dealing with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(05-13-2019, 09:36 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: Some struggles do not need to be aired in public, though. We are all speculating as to the nature of what led to this decision.

People in the public eye are a little different. You give up privacy when you do this.

I'm not saying needs to go into details, his statement is plenty clear.

The ownership stuff is if he recovers, he can take a role to help others who aren't dealing with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

being in the public eye does not grant the public the right to know everything thats going on. Football players are not in public service to the fans.

(05-12-2019, 01:35 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 03:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote: If they place him on the NFI list, the rules are the same as the PUP meaning he could potentially return midseason.

Retire from the game.

It's entirely possible he will eventually retire but is just taking it by the year first to see how things progress.

(05-12-2019, 08:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Announce it, retire, bring awareness. Stop speculating.

And if they've just experienced some issues with his health they may still be finding things out and want to see how it progresses before retiring. 

I don't think empathy is hard in this situation. It's very weird that fans expect people to be completely and 100% transparent about their personal struggles, they don't owe that to anybody but themselves.

This is Murica....People here expect alot no matter what u do or who you are.  Struggles dont matter and i know that and dont get paid a multi-million dollar annual salary.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

As much as I'd like to know what the hell is going on with Telvin, he doesn't owe me an explanation.

He certainly ought to be giving one to the organization paying him millions of dollars though.

Hopefully this is something he can get past for his own sake. If not, then the Jags don't need to make decisions about how to decrease his cap hit.
Not losing any sleep over it.

My source is telling me Telvin is done with football.

(05-13-2019, 12:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: As much as I'd like to know what the hell is going on with Telvin, he doesn't owe me an explanation.

He certainly ought to be giving one to the organization paying him millions of dollars though.

Hopefully this is something he can get past for his own sake.  If not, then the Jags don't need to make decisions about how to decrease his cap hit.
Not losing any sleep over it.

I agree.

Especially since half the board was ready to cut/trade/replace him anyway this offseason prior to his announcement.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."