Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2019, 08:05 PM by Jags.)

I’m way past Minshew Mania. I’ve got the Minshew Burn. But it hurts so good. I’ll never buy your jersey Mr Gardner Minshew II. I’ll never curse you like that.

I may, however, affix a “1” on my bortles Jersey. It’ll save money and give my wife something to do with her Cricut.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-11-2019, 02:10 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 02:08 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: It happened with Mark Brunell - wasn't he a 5th round pick? Between Minshew, Brunell, McCardell, and JSmooth, Coughlin's niche as a personnel man is finding overlooked talent.

Minshew doesn't scream to me a Coughlin pick.

Fournette, absolutely. Not Minshew

Coughlin was all over Minshew getting drafted. He’s for sure the reason he’s playing for the jags right now. Some folks want coughlin gone...I’m not one of them. 

https://www.jaguars.com/news/unpacking-t...esting-kid

(10-11-2019, 03:13 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 02:52 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I believe I read that Minshew's interview with Coughlin, and Minshew's approach during that interview, is one of the biggest reasons they drafted him.

You don't think perhaps there were more folks in the room besides Coughlin?

(10-10-2019, 03:17 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He's not a one read got lucky QB.

His head is on a swivel, he's accurate, has great timing, can read a defense and he LOVES the game.

He's the truth.

If TP is on board, you know he's our guy  Big Grin

Well... yeah

I can't find the article I read. Coughlin has been gushing over him since he was drafted, however. I never said Coughlin is the sole reason he's here, by the way, but it seems obvious that Coughlin was a fan from the beginning.

(10-11-2019, 08:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 03:13 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You don't think perhaps there were more folks in the room besides Coughlin?

If TP is on board, you know he's our guy  Big Grin

Well... yeah

I can't find the article I read. Coughlin has been gushing over him since he was drafted, however. I never said Coughlin is the sole reason he's here, by the way, but it seems obvious that Coughlin was a fan from the beginning.

Seemed to be a debate whether it was one guy or the other and it really seemed like you were going with Coughlin pick. 

Apologies if that's not the case, in general I don't see things as black and white as Coughlin/Caldwell's guy.

(10-11-2019, 09:29 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 08:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Well... yeah

Seemed to be a debate whether it was one guy or the other and it really seemed like you were going with Coughlin pick. 

Apologies if that's not the case, in general I don't see things as black and white as Coughlin/Caldwell's guy.

I think we're on the same page then.

Seems like people are using Coughlin or Caldwell as the fall guy for whomever they hate more.

I'm still with Minshew. If he is the future then there is no reason to pull him and stunt his growth just so Foles can finish out a losing season.

I honestly don't think Foles would have fared that much better today....I'm still all for Gardner. Let's see how he bounces back the next few weeks.

GM15 is a third day rookie who might be the franchise guy for us. Today was an expected bump, knee jerk pronouncements based on today's outcome are foolish.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I could be wrong, but today appeared to be issues beyond Minshew’s control. The WRs seemed to struggle getting separation and we don’t have a solid TE. There were some issues on routes as well. The O-line seemed OK buying Minshew some time at times, but there just didn’t seem to be anyone to throw the ball to. 

I don’t see foles making a difference.

(10-03-2019, 12:03 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Ya know I don’t mind paying Foles 88million for being on the team, being a great leader, providing a healthy and veteran presence, and being a backup should we need him. This team needs as much leadership as it can get 

Foles is like a player/coach/awesome person to have while Minshew develops 

Let them compete next offseas

Of course you would. It's not your money right? I might put this in my signature it's so outlandish.

Doesn't matter who our QB is if we can't strengthen our O-Line. I feel like he's pressured every time he drops back.
Here we go again

(10-13-2019, 04:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: GM15 is a third day rookie who might be the franchise guy for us. Today was an expected bump, knee jerk pronouncements based on today's outcome are foolish.

Spot on. Anyone who thought a day like this wasn't rapidly approaching is fooling themselves. Let's see how he responds.

(10-13-2019, 07:16 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 04:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: GM15 is a third day rookie who might be the franchise guy for us. Today was an expected bump, knee jerk pronouncements based on today's outcome are foolish.

Spot on. Anyone who thought a day like this wasn't rapidly approaching is fooling themselves. Let's see how he responds.

Exactly.

Bengals and Jets are his next two games.

If he goes out there looking completely lost and playing poorly in these next two games against two bad teams, then we can start some worrying.

The next two weeks are very winnable games and could/should put us right back at 4-4 going into what could be a big game against the texans in London.

Problem is the Chiefs lost in back to back weeks for the first time in the Reid era... Just our luck it had to be against the colts and texans  Wallbash

He will get a chance to redeem himself. He’s still the guy. He is getting national pub.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019, 06:08 PM by JagsFoles7.)

(10-14-2019, 12:50 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He will get a chance to redeem himself. He’s still the guy. He is getting national pub.

National pub doesn’t make for a starting quarterback.  This is Nick’s team as soon as he’s healthy.  Good national pub comes after being Super Bowl MVP.

(10-13-2019, 04:36 PM)prime winner Wrote: I'm still with Minshew. If he is the future then there is no reason to pull him and stunt  his growth just so Foles can finish out a losing season.

You obviously didn’t see what Foles did with Wentz’s, “losing season,” last year.  Dumb On!!

(10-17-2019, 06:07 PM)JagsFoles7 Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 12:50 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He will get a chance to redeem himself. He’s still the guy. He is getting national pub.

National pub doesn’t make for a starting quarterback.  This is Nick’s team as soon as he’s healthy.  Good national pub comes after being Super Bowl MVP.

(10-13-2019, 04:36 PM)prime winner Wrote: I'm still with Minshew. If he is the future then there is no reason to pull him and stunt  his growth just so Foles can finish out a losing season.

You obviously didn’t see what Foles did with Wentz’s, “losing season,” last year.  Dumb On!!

Foles = Eli Manning

Average for his career with a stretch of good games that happened to come during the playoffs and a SB.
I would never try to take away what Foles did in Philly but people ride 4 games like its a career and it is a little mind boggling.

I said as much when we paid the dude 88 mil.
Has he ever played a full season? And if he has was the SEASON good?

That Eagles team was really really good around him and the 2 good pieces of seasons he had with the Eagles were combined with Wentz's play (one of which Wentz was playing at MVP level before being hurt)

Let's not overhype Foles if we're not allowed to overhype Minshew.

(10-18-2019, 10:04 AM)Kane Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 06:07 PM)JagsFoles7 Wrote: National pub doesn’t make for a starting quarterback.  This is Nick’s team as soon as he’s healthy.  Good national pub comes after being Super Bowl MVP.

Foles = Eli Manning

Average for his career with a stretch of good games that happened to come during the playoffs and a SB.
I would never try to take away what Foles did in Philly but people ride 4 games like its a career and it is a little mind boggling.

That Eagles team was really really good around him and the 2 good pieces of seasons he had with the Eagles were combined with Wentz's play (one of which Wentz was playing at MVP level before being hurt)

Valid points and it’s valid that Foles offered an upgrade from Bortles. I personally have not been impressed by most of the QBs that have gone 1st round the last year or two. Foles made total sense and he may still make sense if Minshew doesn’t work out. 

This upcoming game for me is a huge test for Minshew. Can he bounce back? Everything I have seen of him indicates he will.

(10-18-2019, 11:01 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 10:04 AM)Kane Wrote: Foles = Eli Manning

Valid points and it’s valid that Foles offered an upgrade from Bortles. I personally have not been impressed by most of the QBs that have gone 1st round the last year or two. Foles made total sense and he may still make sense if Minshew doesn’t work out. 

This upcoming game for me is a huge test for Minshew. Can he bounce back? Everything I have seen of him indicates he will.

Foles is definitely an upgrade over Dr Jekyl Mr Bortles.
And I was on board with him because well, I don't make the decisions lol

But some people act like Foles was something super special. He's not.
And yeah, it's good to keep Foles in case the Minshew Maniac still needs a little time to develop (or never does)

I too have been less than impressed with most QBs taken early in past drafts, but we've definitely missed some opportunities like Watson and Mahomes.
It's a bit of a crap shoot, QBs... the draft... sometimes it takes a perfect marriage of player and coach.

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 12:08 PM by Corriewf.)

(10-18-2019, 11:06 AM)Kane Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 11:01 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Valid points and it’s valid that Foles offered an upgrade from Bortles. I personally have not been impressed by most of the QBs that have gone 1st round the last year or two. Foles made total sense and he may still make sense if Minshew doesn’t work out. 

Foles is definitely an upgrade over Dr Jekyl Mr Bortles.
And I was on board with him because well, I don't make the decisions lol

But some people act like Foles was something super special. He's not.
And yeah, it's good to keep Foles in case the Minshew Maniac still needs a little time to develop (or never does)

I too have been less than impressed with most QBs taken early in past drafts, but we've definitely missed some opportunities like Watson and Mahomes.
It's a bit of a crap shoot, QBs... the draft... sometimes it takes a perfect marriage of player and coach.

I may be one of the few people that think the FO has done a decent job. Drafts are almost always over promise under deliver. There have been some mistakes, but they gave those mistakes a chance to develop. I get that even if it’s painful to watch. 

Foles is the definition of hot and cold his entire career. He seems VERY dependent on the system he’s currently in. 
QBR-
2018: 96
2017: 79.5
2016: 105.9
2015: 69
2014: 81.4
2013: 119.2
2012: 79.1

Bortles for comparison -

2018: 79.8
2017: 84.7
2016: 78.8
2015: 88.2
2014: 69.5

So far Minshew is at 97.5. That is higher than 5 of Foles 7 seasons. That’s a rookie..this is supposed to be his floor. Foles has a high ceiling, but his floor seems to be right there in Bortles land. Foles can come out and be an utter rockstar if the system he is apart of is great. Otherwise he can perform just as badly as Bortles. 

We really need a difference maker at QB. One that isn’t a product of the system but makes the system a product of him. A franchise QB. We MAY have that in Minshew.

174 for Minshew and 34 against. Anyone feel like changing their vote yet?