Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(11-05-2019, 08:41 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 11:05 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I recall more posters than that. I still think Foles is a solid QB. To be fair to those posters and my own thoughts back then. We didn’t have Minshew and didn’t know if he was any good and most importantly we just finished a horrible season with Bortles. So myself and those posters were excited for Foles after Bortles. 

Minshew is the future, but right now we need to prove what else is wrong with this team. Give the coaches rope and let them show Kahn they can’t scheme no matter who starts.

You show me all of these people that thought he was some sort of savior.  Many people are just happy we have an adequate quarterback and we don't have to endure Bortles any longer.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...ight=FOLES

I don’t think many people liked the contract that we ramped up to make Foles feel better. 

I just recall from March onward as people warmed up to the idea, a lot of folks were eager to see him play. There were even comments from the players that Foles was much better in practice than Bortles. I didn’t keep a running list of people but the overall demeanor seemed positive about Foles. 

I guess you could look at the poll here. There are surprisingly very informed members who voted start Foles a while ago.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2019, 09:30 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:41 AM)Rico Wrote: You show me all of these people that thought he was some sort of savior.  Many people are just happy we have an adequate quarterback and we don't have to endure Bortles any longer.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...ight=FOLES

I don’t think many people liked the contract that we ramped up to make Foles feel better. 

I just recall from March onward as people warmed up to the idea, a lot of folks were eager to see him play. There were even comments from the players that Foles was much better in practice than Bortles. I didn’t keep a running list of people but the overall demeanor seemed positive about Foles. 

I guess you could look at the poll here. There are surprisingly very informed members who voted start Foles a while ago.
This is not hard to do. Bortles is dreadful.

You can be optimistic, hopeful and eager but at the same time understand Foles is a stop gap for a real franchise QB.

(11-05-2019, 09:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:30 AM)Corriewf Wrote: I don’t think many people liked the contract that we ramped up to make Foles feel better. 

This is not hard to do. Bortles is dreadful.

You can be optimistic, hopeful and eager but at the same time understand Foles is a stop gap for a real franchise QB.

Exactly.  And that was my point.  1995 has been saying that people saw Foles as some sort of 'savior'.  I saw that from very few people.  The vast majority of people saw Foles as an upgrade to Bortles (and how could you not see that?) and were hopeful.  There were a very few people that were bringing up that lame Super Bowl MVP baloney and saw him as some sort of QB messiah.  I never wanted them to make a play for Foles and wanted them to draft a QB and pretty much blow off this season.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-05-2019, 09:46 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: This is not hard to do. Bortles is dreadful.

Exactly.  And that was my point.  1995 has been saying that people saw Foles as some sort of 'savior'.  I saw that from very few people.  The vast majority of people saw Foles as an upgrade to Bortles (and how could you not see that?) and were hopeful.  There were a very few people that were bringing up that lame Super Bowl MVP baloney and saw him as some sort of QB messiah.  I never wanted them to make a play for Foles and wanted them to draft a QB and pretty much blow off this season.
I saw it from a few as well.

And what's hilarious is that those same people are now upset that Foles is coming back to start because they want Minshew.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 09:55 AM by The Real Marty.)

(11-04-2019, 08:37 PM)Rico Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 06:23 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: You can have it.  I'll just continue to laugh at how quick the turnaround was when Minshew started getting recognition and went on a run.  I guess everyone forgets about the offseason and the support for the new QB that could take us over the hump before game one.  I knew it was a dream and i was going to wake up again.

I recall three or four regular posters that were all over Foles jockstrap and a couple of Eagles fans that showed up because he was here.  The vast majority of people either didn't like the move or were in a wait and see mode.  But you obviously got something ingrained in you that want's to over-exaggerate things so have at it.

I have no idea how many did or did not like the move, but I liked it and still do.

After the Blake Bortles experience (sounds like a musical group), most people were saying the thing we needed most was a competent QB.  Hence, Nick Foles.  It makes perfect sense.

In hindsight, who knew we were going to trade Ramsey for all those draft picks, and find a QB in the sixth friggin round of the draft?  Those two things could radically change the strategic direction of the franchise, but I still think the Foles signing made perfect sense.  And I still like it.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 11:40 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-04-2019, 07:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 06:23 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: You can have it.  I'll just continue to laugh at how quick the turnaround was when Minshew started getting recognition and went on a run.  I guess everyone forgets about the offseason and the support for the new QB that could take us over the hump before game one.  I knew it was a dream and i was going to wake up again.

I fondly remember Preseason game 3 when people were openly insisting that Alex Mcgough should be the back up because GM15 was just another Tanner Lee but man can that Alex kid move the offense!

Hell, i even liked Alex more than GM during preseason but that was a mirage.

(11-05-2019, 09:46 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: This is not hard to do. Bortles is dreadful.

Don't twist my words because you are wrong.  I said people felt like Foles would take us over the hump and were on the Foles train and wanted a new QB to lead the team.  You know, the fans that felt like thats the main piece we needed to make a run at the playoffs again.  I did say Savior before, basically saving us from a rebuild and staff changes that i still feel are needed.  If you stop exaggerating what im saying then you'll see your wrong but that takes admittance of error.  The whole MVP thing is just what some on here use as a reason for him being anything more than an average journeyman QB and want to justify his salary.  Now by all means, continue your fight.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-05-2019, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:37 PM)Rico Wrote: I recall three or four regular posters that were all over Foles jockstrap and a couple of Eagles fans that showed up because he was here.  The vast majority of people either didn't like the move or were in a wait and see mode.  But you obviously got something ingrained in you that want's to over-exaggerate things so have at it.

I have no idea how many did or did not like the move, but I liked it and still do.

After the Blake Bortles experience (sounds like a musical group), most people were saying the thing we needed most was a competent QB.  Hence, Nick Foles.  It makes perfect sense.

In hindsight, who knew we were going to trade Ramsey for all those draft picks, and find a QB in the sixth friggin round of the draft?  Those two things could radically change the strategic direction of the franchise, but I still think the Foles signing made perfect sense.  And I still like it.
I remember people liking the move but i'm being told "that was a lie" in my maury voice lol.  I guess the truth is very few people liked Foles and were questioning the signing as well.  I guess i had more people who understood the anti Foles thing than i first thought.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-05-2019, 11:43 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I have no idea how many did or did not like the move, but I liked it and still do.

I remember people liking the move but i'm being told "that was a lie" in my maury voice lol.  I guess the truth is very few people liked Foles and were questioning the signing as well.  I guess i had more people who understood the anti Foles thing than i first thought.

Well, here is a poll that was taken at the time.  

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...ight=Foles

48% ecstatic at the signing
37% indifferent
15% didn't like it

So it seem like the actual evidence is, 3 times as many people liked it as didn't like it.

(11-05-2019, 11:43 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I have no idea how many did or did not like the move, but I liked it and still do.

I recall the prevailing sentiments to be:

"He's good enough to win with"

"He's definitely better than Bortles"

and

"With our defense he should be enough to get more wins" 

There was a very small minority calling him a franchise caliber QB or something better than that.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 12:33 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-05-2019, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:43 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I remember people liking the move but i'm being told "that was a lie" in my maury voice lol.  I guess the truth is very few people liked Foles and were questioning the signing as well.  I guess i had more people who understood the anti Foles thing than i first thought.

I recall the prevailing sentiments to be:

"He's good enough to win with"

"He's definitely better than Bortles"

and

"With our defense he should be enough to get more wins" 

There was a very small minority calling him a franchise caliber QB or something better than that.
That is true.  No one, that i can remember, said he would be our Franchise QB for the next decade, which is what a Franchise QB is.  He's 30 so the hope was he would take us over the hump since we supposedly had a small window for success.  I specifically wanted to draft a QB this coming year and i wanted Hockenson early so we could have a legit TE threat for whomever the future was.  Allen fell so our GM had a gift wrapped pick that couldn't be refused.
Season Tix, Section 409

With so many folks, myself included wanting the Jags to draft a QB, do you guys feel like we have our guy?

We have a solid QB class coming up in 2020, any guys you would take over Minshew? Or all in on the shew?

(11-05-2019, 01:14 PM)Corriewf Wrote: With so many folks, myself included wanting the Jags to draft a QB, do you guys feel like we have our guy?

We have a solid QB class coming up in 2020, any guys you would take over Minshew? Or all in on the shew?

I think we take a chance with the guys we have.  Drafting a QB is such a crapshoot anyway.   Let's gamble that we already have our guy- either Foles or Minshew.  We have a lot of draft picks to build around one or more of those guys.  Why waste them?

(11-05-2019, 01:14 PM)Corriewf Wrote: With so many folks, myself included wanting the Jags to draft a QB, do you guys feel like we have our guy?

Honestly, I don’t think Foles or Minshew is the guy.

I love Minshew so far but I’m not sure if he’s the answer here. That’s not to say he can’t be but I hope we aren’t content with what we have.

I've seen enough from Minshew to know that with good coaching and good protection he can be a franchise guy.

Build around him I say.
Seen enough first round QBs flame out that I wouldn't be any more sure about any of the 2020 guys really. Herbert, Fromm, Tua... they all have their own question marks, ya know?

4 picks in the first 3 rounds to shore up the OL and add talent to the back 7 on D (LB, DB)

Then use mid to late round picks on NT, TE, WR and depth in general.

We still don't know where they stand on Minshew/Foles.  

Too early to talk draft when we could still see Foles show up and look like they hoped he would when they guaranteed him 50 million. 

Personally, I seriously doubt they consider a QB in April.

I’ve been thoroughly impressed by Minshew, but I can’t help but feel the #becausejaguars.

There have been what seems like many times in the past a QB has flashed and we missed out on drafting a real franchise QB. Then we look back and the hate is strong.

I’m looking at the class coming up and two first round picks that can be traded up. I can’t help but second guess as a Jags fan.

(11-05-2019, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

We still don't know where they stand on Minshew/Foles.  

Too early to talk draft when we could still see Foles show up and look like they hoped he would when they guaranteed him 50 million. 

Personally, I seriously doubt they consider a QB in April.

In my opinion yes and possibly no. If Foles comes out and balls out, he still is a 30 yo qb. We have a QB class coming up that has been hyped for a couple years now. Regardless of Foles productivity, he won’t be our QB in 2030..in 2030 Tua/Fromm/Herbert could be leading their team to another title.. 

So my question, if you pivot your thought process off Foles and stack Minshew against the coming draft class. Are you guys confident Minshew is better? 

I have not pondered this question until today. It’s a tough tough decision and I love Minshew thus far.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 01:48 PM by RicoTx.)

(11-05-2019, 01:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Honestly, I don’t think Foles or Minshew is the guy.

I love Minshew so far but I’m not sure if he’s the answer here. That’s not to say he can’t be but I hope we aren’t content with what we have.

I hate to say it, but this is where I am.  I'd like to think we have something in Minshew, but he still needs to develop.  And Foles certainly isn't any long term option even if by some chance he works out for a couple of years.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I just went over to the front page of NFL.com and they have side by side photos of Minshew and Baker Mayfield. It gave me chills. I never noticed how much they look alike. They could be twins.

(11-05-2019, 01:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just went over to the front page of NFL.com and they have side by side photos of Minshew and Baker Mayfield. It gave me chills. I never noticed how much they look alike. They could be twins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ger-effect

Yeah no joke. Where was Minshews daddy back in 1994?