Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(11-05-2019, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 01:14 PM)Corriewf Wrote: With so many folks, myself included wanting the Jags to draft a QB, do you guys feel like we have our guy?

We have a solid QB class coming up in 2020, any guys you would take over Minshew? Or all in on the shew?

Personally, I seriously doubt they consider a QB in April.

Agreed.
On one hand, you're locked into some serious ched with Foles.
On another you got Minshew who, as a 6th round rookie, really took the team/town by storm. Could very well be something there with some development.
And on a third hand, you used draft capital to get a guy like Joshua Dobbs... so he's the 3rd QB (unless they throw the pick away like they did with Hyde)

So this front office is going to throw a first or 2nd round QB into THAT mix?
Nah...

Now...... a completely new front office? Coughlin retires, Caldwell fired, type situation. All bets are off.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2019, 01:14 PM)Corriewf Wrote: With so many folks, myself included wanting the Jags to draft a QB, do you guys feel like we have our guy?

We have a solid QB class coming up in 2020, any guys you would take over Minshew? Or all in on the shew?

I still stand by the draft a QB argument and want one.  Foles can do whatever he does but i want insurance past the next 2 years at the QB position.  If Minshew lights it up then having a good QB to either be a back or trade away is never a bad thing.  See Jimmy G from NE, etc.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-05-2019, 02:36 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

I still stand by the draft a QB argument and want one.  Foles can do whatever he does but i want insurance past the next 2 years at the QB position.  If Minshew lights it up then having a good QB to either be a back or trade away is never a bad thing.  See Jimmy G from NE, etc.

So you want to draft a QB when? With one of our two firsts?

a 3rd?

Which QB you targeting in 2020?

a 1st, and it depends on who shines for the rest of this season and through the offseason/pre-draft process. I have not changed my opinion and if not one this year, then next. Wasting money on Foles when this team clearly needed to build up other positions has not changed my mind. He can do whatever but i still want insurance on the QB position. FA is cool for other positions from time to time, not QB.
Season Tix, Section 409

So you think hedge our bets with a first round QB? 

I know one thing, this franchise needs a franchise QB and we have not really had one in a LONG time. Quarterback has always been a question mark for us. 

I’m nervous about Minshew. He looked bad in preseason. He looked great in most of his games but looked bad against any team that schemed well for him. Now we have to go back to Foles. If Foles does great, we have what, another 4-5 years with him? Meanwhile Minshew sits and becomes another question mark. Does Minshew come off the bench next season or the season after and play lights out like the franchise QB we need or does he get schemed against and go off the rails like this year? 

If Foles ages out and Minshew turns out to be a great back up QB, do we get a QB draft class like 2020 in 2021/2022? 

Foles vs Minshew starting has been decided. Now you have to start thinking the next progression of thoughts as a franchise right.

(11-05-2019, 05:41 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: a 1st, and it depends on who shines for the rest of this season and through the offseason/pre-draft process.   I have not changed my opinion and if not one this year, then next.  Wasting money on Foles when this team clearly needed to build up other positions has not changed my mind.  He can do whatever but i still want insurance on the QB position.  FA is cool for other positions from time to time, not QB.

So, if we had not hired Foles, who would have been our starting QB coming into this season?  Bortles?

(11-05-2019, 06:28 PM)Corriewf Wrote: So you think hedge our bets with a first round QB? 

I know one thing, this franchise needs a franchise QB and we have not really had one in a LONG time. Quarterback has always been a question mark for us. 

I’m nervous about Minshew. He looked bad in preseason. He looked great in most of his games but looked bad against any team that schemed well for him. Now we have to go back to Foles. If Foles does great, we have what, another 4-5 years with him? Meanwhile Minshew sits and becomes another question mark. Does Minshew come off the bench next season or the season after and play lights out like the franchise QB we need or does he get schemed against and go off the rails like this year? 

If Foles ages out and Minshew turns out to be a great back up QB, do we get a QB draft class like 2020 in 2021/2022? 

Foles vs Minshew starting has been decided. Now you have to start thinking the next progression of thoughts as a franchise right.

Until next game or the week after when Foles gets hurt again. Minshew looked bad in preseason? As a rookie playing with all second and worse team players? Goes off the rails in one game as a rookie? Geez the standards we set for a team that last year had a guy who couldn't throw it in the ocean from the beach. No, GM15 will force them to do something with Foles this offseason, you don't pay that much to a guy to ride the bench and Minshew has way more upside at this point.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-05-2019, 06:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:28 PM)Corriewf Wrote: So you think hedge our bets with a first round QB? 

Until next game or the week after when Foles gets hurt again. Minshew looked bad in preseason? As a rookie playing with all second and worse team players? Goes off the rails in one game as a rookie? Geez the standards we set for a team that last year had a guy who couldn't throw it in the ocean from the beach. No, GM15 will force them to do something with Foles this offseason, you don't pay that much to a guy to ride the bench and Minshew has way more upside at this point.

He looked bad in preseason. A lot of folks didn’t even want him as Foles back up. 

So can you say with 100% commitment that Minshew is a better QB than Tua or Fromm? 

I love Minshew and I want to believe, but I can’t commit 100% after seeing the Texans with a [BLEEP] secondary shut Minshew down. Yes, he’s a rookie, but the Texans deployed the same method the Saints did and Minshew didn’t do any better against it than he did with the Saints. 

Now we may not find out if Minshew can do good if he’s schemed against until after the next draft. It’s a risk for a franchise in desperate need of a franchise QB to pass on 2020s QB class.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 12:14 PM by The Real Marty.)

(11-05-2019, 06:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Until next game or the week after when Foles gets hurt again. Minshew looked bad in preseason? As a rookie playing with all second and worse team players? Goes off the rails in one game as a rookie? Geez the standards we set for a team that last year had a guy who couldn't throw it in the ocean from the beach. No, GM15 will force them to do something with Foles this offseason, you don't pay that much to a guy to ride the bench and Minshew has way more upside at this point.

He looked bad in preseason. A lot of folks didn’t even want him as Foles back up. 

So can you say with 100% commitment that Minshew is a better QB than Tua or Fromm? 

I love Minshew and I want to believe, but I can’t commit 100% after seeing the Texans with a [BLEEP] secondary shut Minshew down. Yes, he’s a rookie, but the Texans deployed the same method the Saints did and Minshew didn’t do any better against it than he did with the Saints. 

Now we may not find out if Minshew can do good if he’s schemed against until after the next draft. It’s a risk for a franchise in desperate need of a franchise QB to pass on 2020s QB class.

The trouble with drafting another QB next year is, you can only develop one QB at a time.  If you decide to draft a QB next year, you have to decide, which one is going to play, which one is going to get the reps in practice.  That's why, until we know that Minshew is not the QB of the future, it's a complete waste to draft another QB.  

Besides, from what I saw of Fromm, I wouldn't draft him in the first round.  He's inaccurate.  The Florida-Georgia game was such a great example of the difference between college and pro ball.  Those guys were terrible.  Bad passes, bad decisions, mistakes everywhere.  

And we have no shot at drafting Tua.

Do you seriously want to throw away the guy who won rookie of the week 6 of the first 8 weeks?  To draft another QB who would be a total crap shoot whether he's a decent starter or a bust?  You're crazy.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 12:49 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-05-2019, 06:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 05:41 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: a 1st, and it depends on who shines for the rest of this season and through the offseason/pre-draft process.   I have not changed my opinion and if not one this year, then next.  Wasting money on Foles when this team clearly needed to build up other positions has not changed my mind.  He can do whatever but i still want insurance on the QB position.  FA is cool for other positions from time to time, not QB.

So, if we had not hired Foles, who would have been our starting QB coming into this season?  Bortles?

Blake or GM15.  I don't think thats bad but we probably wouldn't have been able to experience Minshew Mania if they decided to start Blake.  He's average too but doesnt get hurt.  That alone would have kept Minshew on the bench unless we started losing bad.  Still with this whole season, trading Ramsey and what not.  I would be happy with 2 first for 2 years and a QB in the first this coming year or next.  Only issue is, i doubt we would've been going through this whole resign thing with Yannick and Ramsey may still have been here so idk.  Still want a QB regardless this year in the first so it is what it is.

(11-06-2019, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote: He looked bad in preseason. A lot of folks didn’t even want him as Foles back up. 

The trouble with drafting another QB next year is, you can only develop one QB at a time.  If you decide to draft a QB next year, you have to decide, which one is going to play, which one is going to get the reps in practice.  That's why, until we know that Minshew is not the QB of the future, it's a complete waste to draft another QB.  

Besides, from what I saw of Fromm, I wouldn't draft him in the first round.  He's inaccurate.  The Florida-Georgia game was such a great example of the difference between college and pro ball.  Those guys were terrible.  Bad passes, bad decisions, mistakes everywhere.  

Do you seriously want to throw away the guy who won rookie of the week 6 of the first 8 weeks?  To draft another QB who would be a total crap shoot whether he's a decent starter or a bust?  You're crazy.
No one is saying throw GM away.  Some are saying trade Foles for more picks to build around the QB of the future, whether thats GM or a 1st rd QB.  I think you're stuck on Foles staying here just to retire in a few years.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-06-2019, 12:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, if we had not hired Foles, who would have been our starting QB coming into this season?  Bortles?

Blake or GM15.  I don't think thats bad but we probably wouldn't have been able to experience Minshew Mania if they decided to start Blake.  He's average too but doesnt get hurt.  That alone would have kept Minshew on the bench unless we started losing bad.  Still with this whole season, trading Ramsey and what not.  I would be happy with 2 first for 2 years and a QB in the first this coming year or next.  Only issue is, i doubt we would've been going through this whole resign thing with Yannick and Ramsey may still have been here so idk.  Still want a QB regardless this year in the first so it is what it is.

So you would have rolled with Blake Bortles.   I don't think I even need to respond to that.  That says it all.

(11-06-2019, 12:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Blake or GM15.  I don't think thats bad but we probably wouldn't have been able to experience Minshew Mania if they decided to start Blake.  He's average too but doesnt get hurt.  That alone would have kept Minshew on the bench unless we started losing bad.  Still with this whole season, trading Ramsey and what not.  I would be happy with 2 first for 2 years and a QB in the first this coming year or next.  Only issue is, i doubt we would've been going through this whole resign thing with Yannick and Ramsey may still have been here so idk.  Still want a QB regardless this year in the first so it is what it is.

So you would have rolled with Blake Bortles.   I don't think I even need to respond to that.  That says it all.

Yes i would have.  I wouldnt have wasted 88 million on a part time above average stat line for Foles.  Coming off the bench and doing good for what amounts to half a season of work doesnt give me the need to spend for a quick fix.  I want to build the line, TE position, and get a little younger on D to replace the players released due to cap.  I look ahead at the future not the next year only.  Sorry that would not have made you happy.  I would love to see if Foles was worth the money invested.  If so then you will be right in your thinking.  If not, then tough.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-06-2019, 12:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, if we had not hired Foles, who would have been our starting QB coming into this season?  Bortles?

(11-06-2019, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The trouble with drafting another QB next year is, you can only develop one QB at a time.  If you decide to draft a QB next year, you have to decide, which one is going to play, which one is going to get the reps in practice.  That's why, until we know that Minshew is not the QB of the future, it's a complete waste to draft another QB.  

No one is saying throw GM away.  Some are saying trade Foles for more picks to build around the QB of the future, whether thats GM or a 1st rd QB.  I think you're stuck on Foles staying here just to retire in a few years.
NOOOOOOOOO

Keeping Blake would have been the absolute worst decision this franchise had ever made.... And that's saying something.

(11-06-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Blake or GM15.  I don't think thats bad but we probably wouldn't have been able to experience Minshew Mania if they decided to start Blake.  He's average too but doesnt get hurt.  That alone would have kept Minshew on the bench unless we started losing bad.  Still with this whole season, trading Ramsey and what not.  I would be happy with 2 first for 2 years and a QB in the first this coming year or next.  Only issue is, i doubt we would've been going through this whole resign thing with Yannick and Ramsey may still have been here so idk.  Still want a QB regardless this year in the first so it is what it is.

NOOOOOOOOO

Keeping Blake would have been the absolute worst decision this franchise had ever made.... And that's saying something.

So what QB would you have picked in the draft this year since that was the alternative.  That also would definitely mean we wouldn't have drafted GM
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-06-2019, 01:53 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: NOOOOOOOOO

So what QB would you have picked in the draft this year since that was the alternative.  That also would definitely mean we wouldn't have drafted GM

Rolling with Bortles would have caused a revolt worse than the team going back to Foles from the Mania.

QB class this year wasn't great. I know a lot of people liked Haskins... but in hindsight, he doesn't look that good. And Drew Lock has been deemed "not ready" by Elway -.-
Daniel Jones was taken before we picked.
I think this franchise did what they had to... Went out and spent on the "best" free agent QB, drafted a developmental guy late.

Next year Foles is still gonna be here unless we find a QB desperate team that is willing to take his contract, and we'll still have dead cap to eat.
I don't see us spending a first or 2nd on a QB next year even though the class is looking much better.
Burrow, Tua, Fromm, and Herbert are likely the 1st round QBs. Burrow and Tua likely gone in first 10 picks and I don't see us picking there or using draft picks to move up.

Perhaps we pick 15th and can get a guy like Herbert there (I'm not a big fan of his)
But then we're giving up on Minshew and it's Foles or the first rounder.

2021 after Foles gtds are up is a better time to address QB imo. If Foles isn't playing well, or we've moved him, we'll have a good look at Minshew year 2... after 2020 we'll know if Minshew is the man or if we're in position to get one of the top guys from the 2021 draft.
Meanwhile all our draft capital from 2020 draft can be used to bolster OL, LB, DB, TE
Which would be the best situation for Foles or Minshew in 2020 or a rookie QB in 2021

I don't think Foles is going anywhere in the off-season.  He was brought in to be the starting (franchise) QB for the next 3 seasons (including this one) at least.  I also don't see the team drafting a QB in the early rounds this next off-season.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-06-2019, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't think Foles is going anywhere in the off-season.  He was brought in to be the starting (franchise) QB for the next 3 seasons (including this one) at least.  I also don't see the team drafting a QB in the early rounds this next off-season.

We have an out after 2020 with most of his gtd money paid by then.
That's the soonest he is elsewhere, unless he retires.

(11-06-2019, 04:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't think Foles is going anywhere in the off-season.  He was brought in to be the starting (franchise) QB for the next 3 seasons (including this one) at least.  I also don't see the team drafting a QB in the early rounds this next off-season.

We have an out after 2020 with most of his gtd money paid by then.

That could actually work out well in the long run.  In the meantime we started the season with Foles as the starting QB and (hopefully) we will end the season with Foles as the starting QB.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-06-2019, 04:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:00 PM)Kane Wrote: We have an out after 2020 with most of his gtd money paid by then.

That could actually work out well in the long run.  In the meantime we started the season with Foles as the starting QB and (hopefully) we will end the season with Foles as the starting QB.

Indeed.
If Foles stinks for the next 7 games I could see a "competition" to start 2020 with Minshew. But I doubt we see more draft capital invested in the position.

However, a new front office and/or coach staff could totally throw everything for a loop.
That being said, barring a meltdown (4-6 win season total) I don't see Khan making a change.

Though I hope that after this year Doug makes a change on the defensive side of the ball, honestly.

(11-06-2019, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote: He looked bad in preseason. A lot of folks didn’t even want him as Foles back up. 

Absolutely not! I like what I have seen from Minshew, with the exception of his progress adapting to contain defensive pressure. 

Not crazy, paranoid. I am absolutely paranoid and feeding into some what if anxiety on this subject. I would say after decades of missing a franchise QB it is completely valid to be paranoid and anxious now. We have had absolutely horrible luck at the QB position. 

What if the last 8 weeks were flashes in the pan? I was personally looking for some form of adjustment from Minshew against the Texans and I didn’t see it. He seemed to be even worse than the saints game. That absolutely makes me paranoid. This is the NFL and you have to be able to make adjustments to different defenses. 

He could develop on the sideline and become an amazing franchise QB. He could always be just an amazing back up that always has limitations when defenses scheme containment. 

One thing for sure, we have to be able to beat teams like the Chiefs, Patriots, Texans, and Saints if we want to ever progress through the playoffs. 

Minshew has yet to beat a good team.