Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(11-06-2019, 04:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't think Foles is going anywhere in the off-season.  He was brought in to be the starting (franchise) QB for the next 3 seasons (including this one) at least.  I also don't see the team drafting a QB in the early rounds this next off-season.

We have an out after 2020 with most of his gtd money paid by then.
That's the soonest he is elsewhere, unless he retires.

Everyone should be hoping for these three things to happen IMO: 

1. Nick Foles stays healthy and plays well over the coming weeks.

2.  Minshew develops like many of us suspect he's capable and is even more prepared to challenge Foles in 2020.

3. Sometime between July and October of 2020 another team offers us a really nice haul for Foles in trade and Minshew becomes the starter. We are then free of Foles salary and further bolstered with draft capital or talent.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-06-2019, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:00 PM)Kane Wrote: We have an out after 2020 with most of his gtd money paid by then.

2.  Minshew develops like many of us suspect he's capable and is even more prepared to challenge Foles in 2020.

3. Sometime between July and October of 2020 another team offers us a really nice haul for Foles in trade and Minshew becomes the starter. We are then free of Foles salary and further bolstered with draft capital or talent.
4. Super Bowl

(11-06-2019, 04:00 PM)Kane Wrote: We have an out after 2020 with most of his gtd money paid by then.

If Foles comes out and makes our O-line look fantastic and our TEs superstars, wouldn’t you say that makes Minshew look more like a back up quality QB?

I doubt the part in bold will happen.  My best guess is assuming Foles stays healthy and ends the season on a good note (minimum 4-3 in the next seven games) he will be penciled in as the starter in 2020 with a "QB competition" during preseason.  The team may or may not draft another QB in the later rounds.  Assuming he wins the "QB competition" he will be the starter in 2020 and be released/shipped/traded after the season.  Just guessing still though, I think it might be likely he retires after the 2020 season.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-06-2019, 04:40 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Everyone should be hoping for these three things to happen IMO: 

If Foles comes out and makes our O-line look fantastic and our TEs superstars, wouldn’t you say that makes Minshew look more like a back up quality QB?

That's not going to happen. And no, I wouldn't draw that correlation. 

Nick will likely get the ball out quicker and that will make the o-line appear a bit better, and Oliver could be primed to start flashing any week now at TE.  None of that is going to alter what I saw and gleaned from Minshew's performances.

Minshew has rare intangibles that make him very valuable if he can develop as a pocket passer like I suspect he is capable.  I'm very excited about his development between now and the next opportunity he has to start for the Jags. I believe he'll have that chance.

(11-06-2019, 03:43 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:53 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So what QB would you have picked in the draft this year since that was the alternative.  That also would definitely mean we wouldn't have drafted GM

Rolling with Bortles would have caused a revolt worse than the team going back to Foles from the Mania.

QB class this year wasn't great. I know a lot of people liked Haskins... but in hindsight, he doesn't look that good. And Drew Lock has been deemed "not ready" by Elway -.-
Daniel Jones was taken before we picked.
I think this franchise did what they had to... Went out and spent on the "best" free agent QB, drafted a developmental guy late.

Next year Foles is still gonna be here unless we find a QB desperate team that is willing to take his contract, and we'll still have dead cap to eat.
I don't see us spending a first or 2nd on a QB next year even though the class is looking much better.
Burrow, Tua, Fromm, and Herbert are likely the 1st round QBs. Burrow and Tua likely gone in first 10 picks and I don't see us picking there or using draft picks to move up.

Perhaps we pick 15th and can get a guy like Herbert there (I'm not a big fan of his)
But then we're giving up on Minshew and it's Foles or the first rounder.

2021 after Foles gtds are up is a better time to address QB imo. If Foles isn't playing well, or we've moved him, we'll have a good look at Minshew year 2... after 2020 we'll know if Minshew is the man or if we're in position to get one of the top guys from the 2021 draft.
Meanwhile all our draft capital from 2020 draft can be used to bolster OL, LB, DB, TE
Which would be the best situation for Foles or Minshew in 2020 or a rookie QB in 2021
So basically, unless Foles lights it up and GM doesnt regress, we are primed for more QB purgatory for the next decade plus.  OK, i can dig it.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-06-2019, 04:40 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Everyone should be hoping for these three things to happen IMO: 

I'd say it makes him look like a rookie with a lot of promise.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 12:24 AM by IndyJagsFan.)

Typical reasoned and wise words from NYC4jags and an excellent summary here. If we could trust the FO thinks like you, we'd all sleep better at night. I have a recurring negative thought that they will go full-steam idiot ahead and ship Minshew off though. Which would likely convert me to IndyBengalsFan after 24 years.

(11-07-2019, 12:23 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote:

Typical reasoned and wise words from NYC4jags and an excellent summary here. If we could trust the FO thinks like you, we'd all sleep better at night. I have a recurring negative thought that they will go full-steam idiot ahead and ship Minshew off though. Which would likely convert me to IndyBengalsFan after 24 years.

Well, I think anything is possible with this F.O. , but if Coughlin is still EVP in 2020 then Minshew is probably going to be groomed for another chance. Coughlin was effusive with praise for the kid after the combine interviews and I'd not be surprised if his season ending remarks echo that. Not very often a kid with his intangibles comes along that also has a solid grasp on x's and o's as a rookie. 

If they prematurely pay an underperforming LB like Jack and don't develop a guy like Minshew, I'll be livid. 

Thanks for the kind word, btw.

I just get the terrible feeling that this move isn’t about winning games.. it’s about making the losses look better with a veteran QB so guys can save their jobs. My main concern is that when/if we see minshew again, he won’t be as good. I just think he absolutely played too well to not be starting next week. Rookie of the week 7 times?? 14-4 TD INT? He’s easily looked like the best QB we’ve had since #8.

(11-07-2019, 08:08 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I just get the terrible feeling that this move isn’t about winning games.. it’s about making the losses look better with a veteran QB so guys can save their jobs. My main concern is that when/if we see minshew again, he won’t be as good. I just think he absolutely played too well to not be starting next week. Rookie of the week 7 times?? 14-4 TD INT? He’s easily looked like the best QB we’ve had since #8.

That's just heartburn from that frozen burrito you got at the Circle K last night. 

It's ALWAYS about winning games.  Minshew got rattled and threw three picks last week. Remember that? 

The hot hand isn't hot right now, so they are giving the vet they believed in just 7 months ago the shot to mop up. 
It makes sense from a "win games" perspective. It really does.

(11-07-2019, 08:08 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I just get the terrible feeling that this move isn’t about winning games.. it’s about making the losses look better with a veteran QB so guys can save their jobs. My main concern is that when/if we see minshew again, he won’t be as good. I just think he absolutely played too well to not be starting next week. Rookie of the week 7 times?? 14-4 TD INT? He’s easily looked like the best QB we’ve had since #8.

I have worried too that Minshew could come back and not look as good but it could very easily go the route of Bledsoe being replaced by Romo. 
Preseason 2006, Tony Romo showed a lot of flashes and was finally inserted at half time of a regular season game because he made the offensive line look better than statue Bledsoe did. 
I could see a similar situation with the Jags. I hate it because it’s robbing Minshew of a ROTY campaign and a fun second half of the season. 
As a Dallas fan, I see a lot of Romo in Minshew and I can tell you, Romo would not have been near the player he was(5th highest rated qb all time) had he not sat for 3 seasons (of course Sean Payton helped developed him too). Now Minshew from Washington State is MUCH farther along than Romo from Eastern Illinois was.

Vic says:

Kevin from Destin, FL
Before the announcement I found myself thinking the Jaguars have to go back to Foles. Money aside, look at what sitting behind Alex Smith did for Mahomes. On top of that, you have Foles' playoff reputation from the past two seasons. What do you think of the decision?
The Jaguars have to showcase Foles to have any chance of interesting a team in trading for him and picking up his $20 million in guaranteed money. No team is going to trade for him without seeing him play following his collarbone injury. That's how I'm reading this move.

(11-07-2019, 09:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic says:

Kevin from Destin, FL
Before the announcement I found myself thinking the Jaguars have to go back to Foles. Money aside, look at what sitting behind Alex Smith did for Mahomes. On top of that, you have Foles' playoff reputation from the past two seasons. What do you think of the decision?
The Jaguars have to showcase Foles to have any chance of interesting a team in trading for him and picking up his $20 million in guaranteed money. No team is going to trade for him without seeing him play following his collarbone injury. That's how I'm reading this move.

I think getting him on the field is obviously helpful for his stock when/if they get a good trade offer prior to the 2020 deadline. (unless he struggles)

I also think that showcasing him now is merely a convenience in that regard,  because playing him also the smartest move from a winning football games perspective. 

Of course I'm guessing here, but I hypothesize that Foles' ability to make a quick read and get the ball out will equal or outweigh Minshew's tendency to hold it too long but improvise at such a high level.
  And I think this is the most likely reasoning behind Marrone's decision.

Kevin from Destin, FL

Didn't think about that.
Makes sense.

However, with his contract a team will not be giving up a haul, rather we may need to send a pick with him, or at best we'll get a mid rounder for someone to take the contract.

A pre June 1st trade also has us eating a lot of dead money on next years cap. Which sucks.
A post june 1st trade has us splitting the dead money on 2020 and 2021, which sucks less.

I don't see a trade happening. Especially with Cam set to hit the market and a very strong and deep QB class this draft. (Tua, Burrow, Fromm, Herbert, just in the first round)
There won't be that many QB needy teams. Bears maybe, Phins (safely assuming they dump Rosen), Raiders perhaps (but that puts Carr into the market), Bungles maybe if Finley doesn't impress, Bucs and tacks (which also sends two more fairly young and somewhat talented QBs into the market) the long shot Pats if Brady retires... 

Denver has Lock, Skins have Haskins.... 
I'm just not seeing a team so desperate that they'd be willing to take his contract (with his injury history and rather average resume)
If he plays really well, which we all should hope for, we're keeping him.
If he doesn't play that well, who is going to want him with the rookies above mentioned available, plus Cam, Carr, Winston, Dalton, Mariota, etc all probably cheaper.

(11-07-2019, 08:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

That's just heartburn from that frozen burrito you got at the Circle K last night. 

It's ALWAYS about winning games.  Minshew got rattled and threw three picks last week. Remember that? 

The hot hand isn't hot right now, so they are giving the vet they believed in just 7 months ago the shot to mop up. 
It makes sense from a "win games" perspective. It really does.

Lol. Solid point.. I guess what I’m saying though is that despite experience, I just don’t think Foles is a better option. Sure, Minshew has had a couple of bad games, and sure, It makes sense to play Foles. But I think it better serves our future to go ahead and play Minshew.. I think trying to salvage this season is a lost cause.. it’s so hard in the NFL to do that when you’re behind on the schedule. Obviously I understand that you want to see what the big money free agent signing can provide for this team.. and I think we do owe him a fair shot. I just think that Minshew is what this Franchise and this team needs.

(11-07-2019, 11:17 AM)Kane Wrote:

Kevin from Destin, FL

Didn't think about that.
Makes sense.

However, with his contract a team will not be giving up a haul, rather we may need to send a pick with him, or at best we'll get a mid rounder for someone to take the contract.

A pre June 1st trade also has us eating a lot of dead money on next years cap. Which sucks.
A post june 1st trade has us splitting the dead money on 2020 and 2021, which sucks less.

I don't see a trade happening. Especially with Cam set to hit the market and a very strong and deep QB class this draft. (Tua, Burrow, Fromm, Herbert, just in the first round)
There won't be that many QB needy teams. Bears maybe, Phins (safely assuming they dump Rosen), Raiders perhaps (but that puts Carr into the market), Bungles maybe if Finley doesn't impress, Bucs and tacks (which also sends two more fairly young and somewhat talented QBs into the market) the long shot Pats if Brady retires... 

I'm just not seeing a team so desperate that they'd be willing to take his contract (with his injury history and rather average resume)
If he doesn't play that well, who is going to want him with the rookies above mentioned available, plus Cam, Carr, Winston, Dalton, Mariota, etc all probably cheaper.

We are stuck basically.  Thats why i'm frustrated.  He better play well because i'm sick of these excuses to not go after a good QB in the draft.  It's always an excuse or we shoot ourselves in the foot.  Taking Blake becausejaguars, picking Gabbert becauseGMissues,  It's always something.  Foles better play good and/or GM better come back more alive and on fire than ever.  If not, i'm still a fan but have zero faith in anything another Jags fan says period.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-07-2019, 11:47 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:17 AM)Kane Wrote: Didn't think about that.
Makes sense.

We are stuck basically.  Thats why i'm frustrated.  He better play well because i'm sick of these excuses to not go after a good QB in the draft.  It's always an excuse or we shoot ourselves in the foot.  Taking Blake becausejaguars, picking Gabbert becauseGMissues,  It's always something.  Foles better play good and/or GM better come back more alive and on fire than ever.  If not, i'm still a fan but have zero faith in anything another Jags fan says period.

Sho what you're saying is you didn't watch much Jags football the last two months.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2019, 11:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:47 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: We are stuck basically.  Thats why i'm frustrated.  He better play well because i'm sick of these excuses to not go after a good QB in the draft.  It's always an excuse or we shoot ourselves in the foot.  Taking Blake becausejaguars, picking Gabbert becauseGMissues,  It's always something.  Foles better play good and/or GM better come back more alive and on fire than ever.  If not, i'm still a fan but have zero faith in anything another Jags fan says period.

Sho what you're saying is you didn't watch much Jags football the last two months.

I think what he is saying is that 2020 has such a deep QB class, someone is most likely getting a Mahomes QB out of it. 

If you have been a jags fan long enough, you can’t but wonder what bad luck awaits this org with these two QBs. One is going to age out, and the other is a question mark after the last game. 

I was fully on the Minshew train, and may still be on it. What gives me pause is the easy schedule he faced and his lack of adjustment to the Texans. You expect to see some form of progress as a rookie goes forward. Yes, he amazed me with his skill set early on.. but what gets stuck in my head is the presser in London where he said he’s now had experience with multiple looks from defenses and is heading into the Texans game more prepared. Despite maybe some play calling from the OC, I saw a worse version of Minshew than I did in the Saints game with a Texan secondary he should have ate for breakfast. 

I really want Minshew to work out... just concerned with a 2020 an draft class we may not see again for another 4-5 years.

(11-07-2019, 11:47 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:17 AM)Kane Wrote: Didn't think about that.
Makes sense.

Stuck with Foles? Yeah probably. That's what happens when you go into free agency and pay big money.
The good thing about college football though is every year there's some kid who improves or impresses. Burrow was an after thought last season, now he is possibly the #1 QB taken.

For 2020 though, yeah, get ready for more Foles OR possibly Minshew.
The caveat here is, if Khan cleans house, all bets are off. New FO can go totally different route. Maybe they draft a QB with one of two first rounders and he sits behind Foles until it is time for him to take over. Maybe they move Foles and a 3rd to a team for a 5th to unload the contract, Osweiler style.

Don't freak out yet. We still have at least 7 games of THIS season to go.